Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Radiant tips n' tricks

Page: 1 of 1
 Mormegil
03-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Could some experienced Radiant mappers give some tips for those of us more used to Jed?

I read on Massassi regions similiar to layers in Jed. True? If so, could someone shed some light on them?

Can faces from multiple faces be selected for texturing - or can I only multiselect whole brushes? Is there a better way than the 3d window for multiselections? Jed has the alt+mouse drag - is there anything similiar?

Most of my tips are for newbies ;)

select a brush - shift+left click
select a surface - shift+ctrl+left click
change views - ctrl+tab

to mirror a level - save the level, then load the level. A copy of your level will appear, with all brushes selected. Flip and align.
 BlackDragon
03-14-2002, 5:12 AM
Regions are similar to layers in JED. Goto Quake3world forums and do a search (I've never really used them so you better off asking people who have.)

Yes, you can select multiple faces from different brushes. To do this, use alt + shift+ctrl+left click.

Best advice is to read the Q3Radiant manual (also applies to GTKRadiant), do all the tutorials (good list at www.claudec.com) and lurk around the Q3W forums.
 Mormegil
03-14-2002, 3:24 PM
Thanks, but some of those links are dead, and others... well, not all of them are Massassi quality, that's for sure.

I've been reading these and others for the past month, but I haven't been able to find much information on regions. I figured Jed users depend heavily on layers (I sure did), so I thought some that also edit Q3 etc may be more aware of the importance of them than I'm seeing in the tutorials. Oh well. I'll keep looking and post here if I find some good answers.
 Mormegil
03-14-2002, 3:57 PM
I just found a good tutorial on regions. ANYONE thinking about mapping for JO should read this, especially if you're decent at Jed and can't get by without layers.

The drawback to regions is that you can't save them like in Jed. But - they seem to be easier to select. Basically, you can make a region by dragging a brush around the area you want to work on, then click Region - set brush. Or select the brushes you want, and click Region - set Selected Brushes.

You can now work on this area without the rest of your level cluttering up your view. Another great use of regions is that you can compile the region by itself. This can mean the difference of a few hour compile time vs. a couple minutes.

When you're done working with that region, click Region - Off, and you're back to your full map.

heh I guess I should give the link :p

http://www.geocities.com/halucinating_monkey/region_tut.html)
 UniKorn
03-18-2002, 2:07 AM
http://www.quake3world.com/Forums)

the level editing forum, sticky thread contains all the links you need.
Page: 1 of 1