Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK Level Converter

Page: 1 of 1
 Saient
03-10-2002, 1:52 PM
I just noticed the news on jkii.net about a level converter that will convert old JK maps into quake3 then into JK2 maps.

and people are getting excited cause they won't have to learn another level editing program.. "yay lets have maps that look as sh1t as JK maps" well maybe its just me but I think its a bad idea. a de-evolution on the maps that might get made.

so if any old school JK mappers are out there happy that they don't have to learn a new map editor please learn radiant
Its more powerful easier and your maps won't look dated.

it might be fun to play the old JK maps in JK2 but I hope the editing scene for JK2 isn't overrun by JK mappers converting their stuff.
 UGG
03-28-2002, 10:04 AM
and people are getting excited cause they won't have to learn another level editing program..Oh yes they will, and they had better learn Q3Radiant.

dr0id's plugin does most of the conversion work but you'll still need to finish it by hand. I would hope that they make new 24-bit textures and shaders for it too. 8-bit textures in a Quake 3 game would look sad.
 UniKorn
03-28-2002, 10:10 AM
If they don't want to see there levels disappear because they look boring they have to. And they can always ask questions here, there are more than enough radiant experienced people here.

Regards,
UniKorn
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
 jipe
03-28-2002, 4:01 PM
Although I fully intend on using Radiant, I'd like to point out that the reason there weren't detailed maps for JK is that the JK engine sucks.. There's no point in making super detailed levels if the engine just HOMs..
 KOBALT_KORE
03-30-2002, 2:13 PM
I kinda think this is cool.... u could import the old maps into the JK editor, and have all the proper proportions of the original maps. Then u could just use them as blueprints for updating it ( just for the proper scales of things, etc.), but be able to redesign it for the new style of play w/ JK2. [in essence the only thing u could be using it for is the proper size of things].
Personally, i think it would be awesome to see the old maps remade for jk2, and with redesigned puzzles for the force powers, etc.
:D
 Jafo
03-30-2002, 3:10 PM
Not exactly legal maps are copywritten work. Besides all it would be is a BSPC front end and it would screw up the map geometry. Also as mentioned above you would only have walls you would have re-texture and place all the lighting, entites, shaders etc. This is a fairly good waste of time.http://tramdesign.darktech.org/jafo/jafosig.jpg)
 the_enemy
03-31-2002, 7:02 AM
JK had lots of genius maps wich's reconstruction would be an insulting pain.
and dr0id's plugin reconstructs the geometry. Converted levels ARE just like JK's.
And, i dont think that mapping in JED then converting then mapping in qradiant is a really good idea and would give a good quality levels. Niether most ppl do.
So, it seems that we have to wait only for 20-30 converts, that could pull-off current JK2's levels, not 200-300.
ie. original lvls from JK, MoTS and Massassi Temple's map packs.
Page: 1 of 1