Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

monkey island 5 yes or no or OH GOD YES or NO GOD NO which do you pick

Page: 1 of 1
 monkey king
02-14-2002, 1:44 PM
or you can say it your own way if you think it's better but me i would say

YES MAKE MONKEY 5 NOW! DO IT NOW!
 Metallus
02-14-2002, 1:54 PM
KERSPAM! You know, there's a poll option...as well as a MI5 discussion forum here (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=131).
 monkey king
02-14-2002, 1:55 PM
=) yes monkey king you are right i to want monkey 5 to be made NOW for i love monkey island and i se you do too
 monkey king
02-14-2002, 1:59 PM
maybe i should have made that post in the monkey 5 area..oh well thanks for telling me..i am new so you really can't blame me too much
 elTee
02-14-2002, 2:12 PM
Dammit, I hope they end this series with the fifth, or it'll turn into Nightmare on Elm Street. Or Friday the 13th. 9Why are they always the horror movies?) Most hints seem to suggest that MI5 is the final installment.
(In CMI Voodoo lady says she has a five game contract with LucasArts, and when Guybrush kills himself at the hotel he says he has potential for 2 more sequels - EMI is number 1...)
 Trapezoid
02-14-2002, 3:51 PM
I'd say yes... Not OH GOD YES, but yes. I'd be fine if EMI was the last game... I would've been fine if CMI were the last game if I had never played EMI. And MI2. Even MI1.
 Lemon Head
02-14-2002, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by LucasTones
and when Guybrush kills himself at the hotel he says he has potential for 2 more sequelsI think he actually says "a few more sequels" but i suppose it all comes to the same thing
 Yoha
02-14-2002, 4:33 PM
They have to end it with the 5th. The voodoo lady only has a 5 game contract, so she says in EMI. Guybrush can't be a mighty pirate without the voodoo lady!
 bgbennyboy
02-14-2002, 5:08 PM
Yes, just so long as its a point and click and not another crappy 3d game.
 telarium
02-14-2002, 7:35 PM
I agree that there needs to be one more to finalize the whole thing. Find some way to defeat LeChuck this time so that he's done for good and give the series some closure. Also, kill Guybrush.

Just kidding.
 Cookie3118
02-14-2002, 7:51 PM
I hope LucasArts milks the final installment of MI for all it's worth, and they take FOREVER to release it. I mean, come on guys - it's the LAST ONE. I was the suspense and excitement to build up. I've only played EMI about 4 times. The cds should be nearly broken before the next one is released. :)

~Eva
 Meksilon
02-15-2002, 5:48 AM
Originally posted by Yoha
They have to end it with the 5th. The voodoo lady only has a 5 game contract, so she says in EMI. Guybrush can't be a mighty pirate without the voodoo lady! Aye, she's not needed. You know what I think about MI5, Aye?

=mek=
 elTee
02-15-2002, 11:50 AM
STOP IT WITH THE '3D IS ****E' ALREADY!!! DID YOU PLAY GRIM FANDANGO?!?!? IT WAS AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL STUFF FROM THE EARLY 90'S!!! Ahem. I mean, I love and prefer point and click, but too everyone else other than us it will look like 'a crappy looking old game where you have to click the mouse to move.' Therefore, LucasArts will not make thier money back. Why do I have a sense of Daja Vu??

CMI was cool when I think about it. It has the best music, graphics and acting of all three, but its storyline is way back in #3. I love it (Love it love it love it) as an adventure game, but not as an addition to the Monkey Island series. Daja vu again - hey deja vu deja vu - geddit??
 Gabez
02-17-2002, 1:44 PM
Y'know, point and click CAN work in 3-D - look at Discworld Noir. And I think that if LucasArts DO make an MI5 they should make it more darker than EMI... still funny, just more serious in parts. Like mi2, which got really serious in the end and I think where adventure games really shine is that they can be funny at one moment and serious at another, depending on the humour, ofcourse.
 Gabez
02-17-2002, 1:44 PM
Y'know, point and click CAN work in 3-D - look at Discworld Noir. And I think that if LucasArts DO make an MI5 they should make it more darker than EMI... still funny, just more serious in parts. Like mi2, which got really serious in the end and I think where adventure games really shine is that they can be funny at one moment and serious at another, depending on the humour, ofcourse.
 Darnn
02-17-2002, 3:33 PM
monkey island 5 yes or no or OH GOD YES or NO GOD NO which do you pick

Any options which are not things I'd scream during sex?
 Wossname
02-17-2002, 4:07 PM
Monkey Island 5? How about Monkey Island Online! Come on, everyone's making massively multiplayer online games these days! Single player is so passee. Think of it... cruising around the islands of the caribbean, drinking grog, and finding treasure! Everyone's a pirate! Insult swordfighting (With language filters, obviously, to protect the kiddies)! Instead of killing the monsters by hitting them, every monster is a puzzle-kill, like making voodoo anti-root.

(Okay, this started out as a joke, but I'm starting to think it would be pretty cool)
 Huz
02-17-2002, 6:01 PM
Originally posted by Wossname
Monkey Island 5? How about Monkey Island Online!
Hah! I had this idea in 1994! ;)

Interestingly enough, it's kinda been done. A few years ago there was a text-based roleplaying game based around Monkey Island. I never joined in because all their plots were held at ridiculously late times (due to it being US-centric, as most things are), but apparently it wasn't bad at all. They struggled for players though - about 10 players max - obviously a pretty graphical game would attract more.

I don't know how these MMORPGs keep their world interesting and fresh (they sound boring from the outset to me!), but this would be the hardest part. My own (poorly thought out) idea involved users dialling in to walk around the Monkey Island 2 rooms together, helping each other with puzzles and swordfighting and so on. Obviously this would get old pretty quick.

There was a fairly long thread on the subject on the old SCUMM Bar message board, but that's long gone. Alas.
 The Narrator
02-17-2002, 7:31 PM
No , seriously , how could a 2d game be a bad game ? That's just nonsense. Anyone who played CMI knows how gorgeous and rich the graphics can be. Now imagine the same quality with today's standards. I just can't see why a «2d game is a step backward» idea is what most people think , are Disney's and Gibli's animated pictures considered as «old school» , come on people , a 2d game would be original , fresh and definetly demarking itself from the «standard First Person Shooter»
 Deepthought2k
02-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Any options which are not things I'd scream during sex?

Darnn, I'm kinda worried as to why *you* would shout 'OH GOD NO!' during sex.
 Trapezoid
02-18-2002, 12:17 PM
It's the sexy side of denial.
 Spaff
02-18-2002, 3:33 PM
Monkey Island 5 should make it so it turns out that You go through a crazy time warp and you are herman toothrot. also elaine is your own grand daughter. hahaahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa not.

if that happens dont be at all suprised.

also lechuck really does turn out to be a big evil santa
 elTee
02-18-2002, 3:53 PM
I once embarked upon making Monkey Island 2.5, that was set between MI2 and CMI. It was all about how guybrush escaped from the carnival. I had planned to let you play as Herman Toothrot at one point, cos I have the story all written down. I stopped making it when it came to the, erm, programming. I can't do that stuff, you see. The graphics would have been great, cos they're just from MI2 anyway. Thats why I'm making the MIE instead of a game of my own - the graphics are already made.
 bgbennyboy
02-18-2002, 5:07 PM
Lucastones, we can only hope that one day my dream comes true and scummvm develops to the point to which it is a really good scumm game creation system.
The day that happens im gonna gather as many people as possible and make a monkey island game, we can use ur script:D

Oh and for the record, I loved Grim Fandango (4 years old now apparently -FOUR YEARS!?!?!).
It was monkey 4 I was referring to in regard of "another crappy 3d game".
The "3dness" and non point and click gameplay was too much of a shock to my nostaligic system.
 Gabez
02-19-2002, 4:02 AM
Mi 2.5? Yeees, I bet everyone here has, at some point, pondered making that. Last I heard Haggis, Ed and some other geezer was making something like that.
 Darnn
02-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Why make it when it already exists (http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-71702/download/mi25_1.zip)?)
 Gabez
02-19-2002, 11:12 AM
Is that the evil version? And it dosn't matter if it already exists, because there's bound to be an infinite amount of interpriations surrounding the concept. What I don't understand, though, is why everyone seems to call it 2.5 - sounds suspiciously like a maths equation, if you ask me. Monkey Island 2Ѕ: Sub-title here sounds a lot better.
 elTee
02-19-2002, 4:05 PM
Mine was called:
Monkey Island 2.5: Escape From Dinky Island.
Thats why I got all crazy when EMI was announced. I freaked out in a forum somewhere. Maybe it was the old mojo one.
 DODSalesManager
02-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I think a Monkey Island 5 would be fun to play. If they do, i hope it is in the animated style of CMI and no more Monkey Kombat. I really didnt like that.
The best line from EMI? "Its the door to our bedroom, hee hee hee hee!"
-DoD
 elTee
02-22-2002, 2:12 AM
Darnn, that game was reasonably well made, and really bad. It wasn't a game, it was an interactive video. For a click-and-play game, though, its fantastic.
 Navhead
02-22-2002, 8:50 AM
Originally posted by Gabez
Y'know, point and click CAN work in 3-D - look at Discworld Noir.

Or The Longest Journey.
 Gabez
02-22-2002, 1:52 PM
Yes, good point. Or The Longest Journey.
 Fender
02-22-2002, 2:19 PM
Mystery of the Druids anyone?
 Trapezoid
02-22-2002, 5:07 PM
Originally posted by DODSalesManager
I think a Monkey Island 5 would be fun to play. If they do, i hope it is in the animated style of CMI and no more Monkey Kombat. I really didnt like that.
The best line from EMI? "Its the door to our bedroom, hee hee hee hee!"
-DoD

Actually, it's more along the lines of, "It's the door to our bedroom, ohhhh yeaahhhh." Gots ta love the Barry White voice.
 Gabez
02-23-2002, 7:11 AM
Actually that's where you're HORRIBLY wrong Trapezoid! The first time you look at the door Guybrush says "That's the door to our bedroom! Tee hee hee!", but the second time it's "That's the door to our bedroom. Ooooooh yeah".
 Trapezoid
02-23-2002, 9:54 AM
Really? I don't remember any "tee hee" at all. It's always been "ohhh yeahhh" for me.
 Huz
02-23-2002, 11:43 AM
There definitely was "tee hee hee". I thought it was the worst joke ever and didn't try it a second time, thus missing the fact that it wasn't so bad after all.

That line has stuck in my mind as one of the most hated lines ever, so it really would have been beneficial for me to hear the second one!
 Gabez
02-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Oh, I don't think it's THAT bad! It tells us something about Guybrush's character. That said, you would never have got the SOMI or Mi2 Guybrush to say something like that.
 Huz
02-23-2002, 1:37 PM
Indeed, Gabez. I hope it was deliberate that Guybrush became an annoying prat in EFMI. If not, bah to whoever "did" his "lines".
 Trapezoid
02-23-2002, 5:53 PM
Wait, if the big secret behind MI1 and MI2 was that Guybrush was a child, why complain when in EMI he starts acting childish?
 Sovaod
03-03-2002, 2:04 AM
Which previous characters would you like to see return in Monkey Island 5? Mine are as follows:

Gybrush Threepwood (of course)
Elaine Marley
Voodoo Lady
LeChuck
Largo LaGrande
Murray
Bob
Bart & Fink
Carla & Otis
Melee Island Lookout
Wally B. Feed
Cut-Throat Bill
Edward Van Helgen
Haggis McMutton
Captain Dread
The Cannibals of Monkey Island
A Reformed Ozzy Mandrill
Jojo Jr
The Rest of the Monkeys

Below are a list of characters that we definitely don't need:

Stan the Ship Salesman
Stan the Coffin Salesman
Stan the Insurance Salesman
Stan the Timeshare Salesman
Any other Stan that LucasArts manage to conjure up
 The Adventurer
03-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Dude it just wouldn't be an MI game with out My man Stan...

Stan is a fundametal part of what makes MI great...No Stan? No Way!
 Wossname
03-03-2002, 4:04 PM
I'm sick of LeChuck. I always hated cartoons and TV shows that had the same villain every week. Ozzy Mandrill was a cool villain - it's a pity they had to have LeChuck as well.

That's the main problem with the latter two Monkey Islands - they were too self-referencial. Too much of bringing back old characters and locations and puzzles (Insult arm wrestling?), and not enough new and original material.

Monkey Island 1 and 2 used source material like Pirates of the Caribbean, and old pirate movies, and Treasure Island, and things like that. Monkey Island 3 and 4 used as their main source material Monkey Island 1 and 2. You'll never create something better, or even equal, by looking only at the originals.

Once you get through your list of people to bring back, you'll find it's time to ship the game, and you never had time or space to come up with anything new.

Sorry 'bout the rant, but I've had that one coming for a long time.
 Darnn
03-04-2002, 4:04 AM
Hmm... You have a point. I can see how you can say that. But it's far from true. CMI had tons of great original ideas, it just tossed them in a pot with a buch of old ones and mixed them up. EMI was filled with 'polished-up' ideas, but it took the whole... Thing... About culture a couple of steps further. Remi can elaborate on that, seeing as he enjoyed it a lot more (hey, it's only so funny when there isn't a StarBucks in Israel).
 Alien426
03-04-2002, 7:57 AM
...and nobody told me to despise Oztralians.

Blimey for knowing only this friendly feller C Shutt.
 elTee
03-04-2002, 9:04 AM
All those Stans... its the same guy.
Anyway, one good thing about EMI is that the guys who made it were like me - ie. they really hate Wally the stupid ****ing cartographer. He isn't funny OR likeable, so therefore shouldn't be there. I wish they hadn't talked Ron out of killing him off...
If any character has to return is Estevan! Or Mancomb. Real pirates, they are.
Page: 1 of 1