Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The worst Adventurer Game you've ever played

Page: 1 of 2
 The Adventurer
12-13-2001, 5:33 PM
For me its...

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch (So strait forword its frightning)

Kings Quest VI (Any game were you can get stuck sucks)

Space Quest IV (I swear this game is un winable, you get killed ever 2 steps you take)

Myst (Must I explain? Any game that if you can beat in 2 mins. is a bad game)

The Dig (To many combination Puzzles for my tastes, nice story though)
 MrManager
12-13-2001, 5:38 PM
Stupid Invaders. It really lives up to the 'stupid' part of its name.
 Huz
12-13-2001, 5:40 PM
Na-ah, made you look again! :monkey1:
 scabb
12-13-2001, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by remio
Stupid Invaders. It really lives up to the 'stupid' part of its name.

agreed

It might be OK if it had some puzzles in it
 Dalixam
12-13-2001, 7:57 PM
Torin's Passage (Many people may not agree.)

Kings Quest 5 (I get 50 % into the game and then I have to restart because I didn't clicked on a cat that only appears ONCE.)
 Squinkee
12-13-2001, 9:00 PM
Uh.. Pepper's somethingorother. Maybe it's not even Pepper. All I remember is that you're this little girl who goes back in time, and that it sucks.
 Schmatz
12-13-2001, 9:32 PM
Myst, Riven, and Exile were horrible. Will someone finally close those damn portal books so the story can end???
 raVen_image
12-13-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Schmatz
Myst, Riven, and Exile were horrible. Will someone finally close those damn portal books so the story can end???
I think you're a little hard on MYST and RiVeN... (but to each their own) ...however: myst: EXILE was a poor game.

At least the first two games followed some pattern of linear-logic.
I struggled in one age of EXILE for 40 days and finally broke down and went to a walkthrough. The answers to the puzzles made NO SENSE. I spent another day trying to figure out how anyone could arrive at those answers. I thought I was crazy. But, after my best examination, I have concluded that there was no logic to them at all. FRUSTRATING!! Over-all, the game had a good story, but felt thrown together, puzzle-wise.

The second-worst game was Dracula:Sancuary ...great graphics, poor story, simple puzzles, no challenge at all.
 Schmatz
12-13-2001, 10:53 PM
I suppose... but I like'd the journey project story A LOT better. Myst had a strange story with the brothers, and Riven is, well, Riven. Now that I think about it, I liked Riven a lot. But, in all three, the puzzles were hard. But I do agree that in Exile the puzzles were absolutely retarded. I should beat it now so I can uninstall it. I'm near the end, that's all I know. (By the way, I got past the first two ages before using a walkthrough, then I was forced to due to the games' twisted pointless story and plot. But, in all three, the graphics were totally awesome.

What do you think of realMyst? I played the demo of it and I enjoyed it a lot. Would you get it? If I had a better computer, I would, but it took like 20 minutes to load on my computer, and moved really slow.
 ProfessorYoda
12-14-2001, 4:12 AM
Starship Titanic was really bad. I don't remember that much about the puzzles but the communication system didn't work at all. After a few minutes of the characters squawking "You wot, you wot, you wot?!" and "Are you from the planet Gibber? Because our translators have a lot of trouble with Gibberish," over and over, you develop the urge to sharpen a pencil and jam it in your eye. The only good thing about the game was John Cleese as the voice of a timebomb, put he wasn't involved in any of the puzzles, he didn't explode, he was totally there just for the sake of having John Cleese do a voice for the game (kind of like Brando in that Michael Jackson video). Anyway, that's my pick for the worst game, but I liked Exile, so what do I know :) ?
 Lemon Head
12-14-2001, 4:57 AM
The Myst series for a start - the term "atmospheric adventure game" which was created soley for the use on Myst boxes was just a load of dingo's kidneys and one big lie. The main reason that anyone bought the myst games for were the graphics, they look stunning, but it's exceptionally easy to make beautiful pre-rendered scenes. Any actual gameplay or innovation past a few mind numbingly irrelevant puzzles seems to be beyond the developer's capabilities.
"style over substance" seems to have been the watch-word throughout all of the games. The fact that the first Myst was re-released not once, but twice with different graphics is plain inexcusable, and proves my point up to the hilt.

ProfessorYoda
The only good thing about the game was John Cleese as the voice of a timebomb, put he wasn't involved in any of the puzzles, he didn't explode, he was totally there just for the sake of having John Cleese do a voice for the game
Actually, if you set off the bomb and then complete the game the entire ship is blown up. Also, for some reason, John Cleese is not listed in the cast of starship titanic despite the fact that itt is quite obviously him - strange but true
 Metallus
12-14-2001, 5:30 AM
King's Quest 7, although I'm fond of some of the other Sierra games. This one seemed like they were trying to go for an all-girl audience, and in the process, confused the hell out of people who had played the previous games.
 Ender
12-14-2001, 9:50 AM
[i]Actually, if you set off the bomb and then complete the game the entire ship is blown up. Also, for some reason, John Cleese is not listed in the cast of starship titanic despite the fact that itt is quite obviously him - strange but true [/B]

Ok, here's the story on that long long tail :)
As everybody knows, The Parrot is voiced by Terry Jones, another pythoner.

The Bomb was credited to someone known as 'Kim Bread', but Douglas has himself personally denied that was Cleese several times. A lot of sites list "John Cleese (under the pseudonym of Kim Bread)" however. Even IMDB believes this. However there has never been any official confirmation. I honestly do not know why he would have used a Pseudonym and then asked Douglas to hide it... So I still take this story with a very large grain of salt.

The resemblence is uncanny tho.
 Sopabuena
12-14-2001, 10:07 AM
Evidence.... that game was horrible!
 Gabez
12-14-2001, 3:07 PM
I just read loads of reviews before buying games, so I rarely find myself playing a real stinker.
 Prinity
12-14-2001, 3:52 PM
I bought some adventure game at BestBuy because it was only $10 but I quit playing because the people never moved their mouths while they talked and I lost the game within the first five minutes because I did something wrong with a stick, a cabbage, and a donkey. I don't have a lot of patience for those types of games.
 Jake
12-14-2001, 4:16 PM
The Black Cauldron (as in the bad Disney movie) was a terrible game... I think by Sierra. Oh lord.

Monkey Island sucks too.
 Haggis
12-14-2001, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by Jake
Monkey Island sucks too.

Very funny joke.
 ProfessorYoda
12-14-2001, 4:52 PM
Originally posted by Gabez

I just read loads of reviews before buying games, so I rarely find myself playing a real stinker.
Yeah, the lesson I learned from Starship Titanic was to never trust game reviewers from major syndicated newspapers -- they don't care about games and probably just have the editor's niece or somebody equally knowledgeable review them.

Then again, there are the people at JA+ who don't read the instruction manual before reviewing games :rolleyes: .
 Erwin_Br
12-14-2001, 5:09 PM
I'm sorry to say that almost all Sierra games were horrible. I know it's just a matter of taste, though. The only Sierra games I enjoyed were the Larry series. I think Gabriel Knight 2 had the worst acting I've ever seen in a FMV game.

I've also attempted to play a game called 'The Crystal Key' and luckily for me I won this game on AdventureGamer and didn't bought it in a store because, wow... Only three, maybe four screens before I decided to quit and uninstall.

--Erwin
 telarium
12-14-2001, 5:19 PM
I'd say it would have to be Space Quest 6 for me. Bad music, bad animation, poor voice acting, and the design was really just awful. I understand that the project leader had to leave half way through the project, and I do respect the Space Quest series, but this one was awful.

I also didn't like these adventure games even though they had some good elements: The Dig, Escape From Monkey Island, Toonstruk, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (if this counts as an adventure game), and to a lesser extent, Sam and Max Hit The Road. And I suppose I should add Gilbert Goodmate... even though I was a beta tester and did enjoy this game, there were many flaws.
 scabb
12-14-2001, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by telarium
And I suppose I should add Gilbert Goodmate... even though I was a beta tester and did enjoy this game, there were many flaws.

:D

Gilbert Goodmate had bad puzzle structure
 telarium
12-14-2001, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by scabb

:D

Gilbert Goodmate had bad puzzle structure

I certainly would have designed the puzzle structure differently. The problem with a lot of adventure games is that they have weird item combinations that don't make logical sense. For example: the salesman who wants to write up a contract so he needs a piece of paper. Why is it that only one piece of paper in the entire town can be used to make the contract? A designer should anticipate such things and design the puzzles with this in mind. LucasArts usually does a good job of this. If LucasArts had a puzzle similar to this, they would have the characters give reasons as to why other paper won't work for the contract, and provide hints as to what kind of paper is needed.

Still, Gilbert is a good challenging game with an old-fashion feel to it. I'd still suggest it to hard core 2d adventure gamers, just as long as the don't expect the quality of a game like The Curse of Monkey Island. :)
 Riffage
12-14-2001, 10:32 PM
the puzzles were too hard for those games, but i think that the graphics are really nice to look at. Torin's Passage.. heh remember playing that, must find it in the mess of my room, probably in a pile of cd's about so high...

^
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
-

yes a pile that high, and about 4 of them!
 pigsfl3w
12-17-2001, 4:09 PM
I agree for the most part but THE DIG is an excellent game. It doesn't belong in a discussion like this. You might as well say that Grim Fandango suffers from poor character design. I'm sorry, I just love that game and needed to vent.
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-17-2001, 4:22 PM
Those Roberta Williams horror games,
Phantasmagoria - thats it.
Sucked so badly, horrible acting, terrible puzzles.

I only got that game because I bought the Roberta Williams collection.
 Schmatz
12-17-2001, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by pigsfl3w
I agree for the most part but THE DIG is an excellent game. It doesn't belong in a discussion like this. You might as well say that Grim Fandango suffers from poor character design. I'm sorry, I just love that game and needed to vent.

Thank you very much. I don't know how one can see that game as a BAD game. Every advneture game needs puzzles, and its personal interests if someone doesn't like them. If a single person doesn't like the puzzles that doesn't make it a bad game.
 Flirbnic
12-18-2001, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by The Adventurer
Myst (Must I explain? Any game that if you can beat in 2 mins. is a bad game)

You can't beat it in 2 minutes. You have to go through all the worlds to find out how to win, and that takes a long time.
 The Adventurer
12-18-2001, 5:25 PM
Originally posted by Flirbnic

You can't beat it in 2 minutes. You have to go through all the worlds to find out how to win, and that takes a long time.

no see if you have the final code and grab the last page. You don't have to go to any of the other worlds to win. See 2 mins of game play. sure I had to lay through it once to get that but then it has 0 replayability because of the easyness of winning.
 Flirbnic
12-18-2001, 7:36 PM
Originally posted by The Adventurer

no see if you have the final code and grab the last page. You don't have to go to any of the other worlds to win. See 2 mins of game play. sure I had to lay through it once to get that but then it has 0 replayability because of the easyness of winning.

...but you need to go through all the worlds to find the final code. Or you can cheat and look it up on the internet or something, but then you're not playing it properly.
Sure there's no replayability as far as solving stuff goes, but it's still fun to play again to experience the wonderful atmosphere.
 Meksilon
12-18-2001, 7:44 PM
According to The Adventurer SoMI and MI2 must be bad games, you can beat them in well under 2mins combined (Ctrl-W). I like Myst.

=mek=
 Schmatz
12-18-2001, 9:15 PM
Now that I have discussed it a bit, I'm tending to like the Myst Series.

Anyways, the hardest part I remember in the original Myst was the part with the piano in the rocket... if you had a bad sound card you could NEVER get that right...
 Flirbnic
12-18-2001, 9:27 PM
Strange, I thought that was one of the easiest parts.
 Metallus
12-19-2001, 2:01 PM
Agh, Organ puzzle was easy to solve but frustrating. I had to solve it by humming the note and holding it until I made it over to the control panel. And my computer was SLOW, so I'd usually run out of breath.
 dark spirit
12-19-2001, 3:32 PM
If I had to choose it would be Broken sword 1, I love everything about it but my beef is that whenever I swith back to disc 1 it messes up a bit because I have the sold-out software version and the autorun comes up anddisrupts the game and sometimes when I haven't saved for a while and I go into the room where you have to make a key to get into it, it freezes up!
 Schmatz
12-19-2001, 4:35 PM
Originally posted by Flirbnic
Strange, I thought that was one of the easiest parts.

Heh, yeah but when you are in like 2nd-4th grade (i forget) I really had bad memorization skills and really sucked at it. I dunno... I found it to be a sorta difficult part... maybe I did it the wrong way or something. If my dad hadn't given the CD away, I'd try it again, but now I have to go buy the game all over or something.
 SlowbieOne
12-19-2001, 8:26 PM
The Fifth Element was pretty bad for Playstation....
 Navhead
12-21-2001, 12:46 PM
Hmm. Never played Myst (fortunately? ;)).
I thought the Space Quest games were pretty good otherwise except that you died if you stepped into the wrong shrubbery, and that was very often. :D
 scabb
12-21-2001, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by telarium

I certainly would have designed the puzzle structure differently. The problem with a lot of adventure games is that they have weird item combinations that don't make logical sense. For example: the salesman who wants to write up a contract so he needs a piece of paper. Why is it that only one piece of paper in the entire town can be used to make the contract? A designer should anticipate such things and design the puzzles with this in mind. LucasArts usually does a good job of this. If LucasArts had a puzzle similar to this, they would have the characters give reasons as to why other paper won't work for the contract, and provide hints as to what kind of paper is needed.

Still, Gilbert is a good challenging game with an old-fashion feel to it. I'd still suggest it to hard core 2d adventure gamers, just as long as the don't expect the quality of a game like The Curse of Monkey Island. :)

I meant it has a structure like
Find Item to get item to get item to get item
 BooJaka14m
12-22-2001, 8:52 AM
Discworld 1 was a bad game. It was very illogical and, quite frankly, boring. I'm glad I downloaded it instead of buying it.

Discworld 2 was good but a bit short. I wish it went on for a bit longer.

Discworld Noir was superb but a bit hard in places.

So Discworld 1, basically
 Prinity
12-22-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by BooJaka14m
Discworld 1 was a bad game. It was very illogical and, quite frankly, boring. I'm glad I downloaded it instead of buying it.

Discworld 2 was good but a bit short. I wish it went on for a bit longer.

Discworld Noir was superb but a bit hard in places.

So Discworld 1, basically

I played that. It confused the hell out of me. Eric Idle is cool, though. Discworld 2 I haven't played, Discworld Noir I like.
 Haggis
12-22-2001, 11:43 AM
I only played Discworld 1. And it was damn funny! :D
 Haxaty
12-22-2001, 11:47 AM
Discworld 1 rules!!!
It's not as good as Monkey Island, but heck is it funny!

ok ok, sam and max and DOTT were also funnier. but it still owns!

Go Rincewind! Who doesn't want to play a goofy wizard who has to save a city from a dragon!
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-22-2001, 12:16 PM
Most,
if not all the puzzles in Discworl 1 were very illogical,
and frankly very hard to figure out.

The rest of the game was well made - but that really made it annoying.

The 2 sequels were much better.
 BooJaka14m
12-22-2001, 12:40 PM
That's what I was trying to say!
 westford
12-24-2001, 8:29 AM
I hated 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'. Basically 'cos the main character (who was called Joe King for God's sake!) was a rip-off of Han Solo and Indiana Jones combined. Whoever wrote the game basically took all the one-liners from SW and Indy and tried to build a game around them. Then they put in a female character who was an irritating cross between Princess Leia and Willie Scott... The actual puzzles weren't that great either, in fact I don't think I ever completed it 'cos I got so fed up with it...
 1.21 Jigawatts?
12-24-2001, 8:37 AM
I liked quite a lot of Flight of the Amazon Queen.
I tried very hard to compete with Lucasarts games.
And I think some of it was funny - and the storyline was not too bad.
 Trapezoid
12-24-2001, 1:29 PM
Say, what's the little http://www.lucasforums.com/mixnmojo/paperclip.gif) icon next to this thread mean? I'm not sure if it's there for everyone else, but it is for me.

*edit* Whoa, I posted this in the wrong thread. I meant to do it in "Who is the coolest poster around here?"... Oh well, I still want to know what the paperclip represents.
 MrManager
12-24-2001, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by Trapezoid
Say, what's the little http://www.lucasforums.com/mixnmojo/paperclip.gif) icon next to this thread mean? I'm not sure if it's there for everyone else, but it is for me.

*edit* Whoa, I posted this in the wrong thread. I meant to do it in "Who is the coolest poster around here?"... Oh well, I still want to know what the paperclip represents.

It means that somebody attached a file somewhere in the thread.
 BooJaka14m
12-24-2001, 3:28 PM
I didn't think you could post attachments
Page: 1 of 2