Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Joysticks?

Page: 1 of 1
 Gabrobot
07-16-2001, 8:48 PM
I got a Gravis Blackhawk Digital about five years ago and I'm thinking about getting a new one and was wondering what the best joystick is.

Also how do I get my joystick to work in dos games, anyone know how I can get it to work?
 wardz
07-16-2001, 9:26 PM
Shout Vagabond! Any minute now he will be here and you will never want to see another joysitck again by the time he has finished! Only joking V...

wardz
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-16-2001, 10:01 PM
I have the Microsoft Precision Pro 2. Nice stick. You can find it for $40-$50 probably.
 KillerBee
07-16-2001, 10:39 PM
I like saitek sticks.. they got some of the best.. http://www.saitekusa.com/images/flash/preview.html)

X45.. mmm

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: KillerBee ]
 Ice Man
07-17-2001, 11:19 AM
For any FPS and even some other games, it's my opinion that the best joystick (or rather gamepad), is the Microsoft Sidewinder Dual Strike. Check it out at their website.
 Kurgan
07-17-2001, 3:34 PM
I like my Gravis Xterminator gamepads, although I admit the analog stick could be better (of course I play a lot of action/fighting or arcade type games).

For post-Quake FPS games I just use my keyboard and five button optical mouse.

Kurgan
 Gabrobot
07-17-2001, 3:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I think though that I'll just get another gravis blackhawk digital because it only costs about $30 and I've become very comfortable with the button config on the joystick.

Does anyone know how I can get my joystick to work with dos games though?
 Aragorn
07-17-2001, 3:51 PM
Hey, were is Vagabond? If anyone in this forum knows about joysticks then that's propably him.
 KordKelly
07-17-2001, 7:30 PM
The Blackhawk digital Will Not work with DOS games unless they support Gravis' "GrIP"(Gravis Interface Protocol). You need to check with the game manufacturer to see if there is a patch to help...
(I use the Digital also, and cannot play Dark Forces :()
:D

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: KordKelly ]
 Gabrobot
07-18-2001, 2:51 PM
That's what I was afraid of.

Guess I could get that one gravis joystick that costs about $10 but only has a couple buttons, they said that it worked in both DOS and Windows.
 Vagabond
07-18-2001, 11:45 PM
Okay, I'm here!

Here's what I use:

CH F-16 FighterStick
CH Pro Throttle
CH Pedals

Leaves you 40 programmable buttons and hats, X, Y, R, and Throttle axes.

X and Y for moving forward/backward and turning left/right.

R axis for strafing left/right.

Throttle axis is unused, but I'm sure some clever person could find a use for it.

If you've got an advanced gamecard in your PC, and have a couple C-bills to burn, I'd recommend this setup.
 WD_ToRMeNt
07-19-2001, 1:57 PM
I have a thrustmaster FCS (stick, throttle, peddals) but I ONLY use it for flight sims (Janes F/A-18).

For FPS (Quake 3, JK, UT) I use mouse. You can do average at NF sabers with a joystick, but you can't do elite things like mousewarp. Also you don't learn aim so you never get better at anything else.
 FIDO Droid
07-19-2001, 5:26 PM
The Microsoft Sidewinder Dual Strike is the best. Believe it or not, sometimes I use it for JK or MOTS. Get the MSDS (microsoft sidewinder dual stike) and you'll be happy.
 Wilhuf
07-19-2001, 6:15 PM
I like the MS Precision Pro stick ... for flight sims.

For maximum FPS gaming impact I use an overclocked (ps2rate ;)) pattened Microsoft™ Intellimouse™ and a generic 101 key keyboard™. The 101 key keyboard, when using combinations such as (left and right) alt, shift, and ctrl gives me at least 1,111 possible key combinations.

BTW can you overclock your joystick?
 Vagabond
07-20-2001, 2:29 AM
No, I can't overclock my joystick, but I might overclock you into next week ;)

But on a serious note, we each have our own opinions and preferences for FPS controllers. I've found a controller solution that I'm succesful and happy with, and if any of you mousers choose to disbelieve me, that is certainly your prerogative.

There is a rarified cadre that knows the truth. If any of you desire convincing, I suggest you seek them out.
 Wilhuf
07-20-2001, 3:25 PM
Preach on. Whatever creams your Twinkie.™

I get a chuckle out of earlier comments like 'if you use the stick you wont get better at anything else.' That is something that someone who never actually mastered the joystick would say.

As I've said on the late great Obi-Wankenobi.net, after 15 years of joystick-only gaming, I made the transition from joystick to mouse. No regrets. I haven't looked back at all!

Doesn't mean the stick is no good, just means that in my experience, I found the mouse to be superior. And of course I never had a cool rig with pedals to expand the control abilities.

Can you recommend good pedal controllers btw? CH? Which model?
 Vagabond
07-21-2001, 12:28 AM
Difficult to say. Always in motion are the controller support options.

Here's an odd thing to chew on:

Analog joysticks and their pedal brethren, while not the latest digital fad, happen to have an unforseen advantage that, when viewed overall, makes them actually superior. Many advanced analog joysticks, throttles, and pedals daisy-chain together, making them appear as one mega-joystick, which most games readily support.

However, digital joystick, throttle, and pedal controllers all appear as a separate control to a game. Therefore, unless the game has been specifically designed to support multiple controllers, then you're just SOL.

At least this is my understanding of the situation.

Having said all that, if you've got all-digital controllers, I'd probably recommend against pedals. But if you've got analog controllers, I'd recommend the CH Pedals. They're sturdy and work fabulously. There is the wildcard here, which is the mixing and matching of digital and analog controllers, of which I have no experience, so have no advice to give, other than caution.

So, when are you, Kurgan, and I gonna get it on in Rune: HoV?
 Wilhuf
07-21-2001, 1:20 AM
For Rune HOV , I am at your disposal. Well, not this weekend, actually I'm out on travel until Wednesday. How about next week sometime? Headball? Arena? Kurgan? What say you?
 Dethlord
07-21-2001, 1:55 AM
wasd+mouse 0wnz j00
 Vagabond
07-21-2001, 4:13 PM
Yes, of course. Yet, be that as it may, the fact remains that your spelling is in dire need of improvement ;)
 Vagabond
07-21-2001, 4:13 PM
Yes, of course. Yet, be that as it may, the fact remains that your spelling is in dire need of improvement ;)
Page: 1 of 1