Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[TSL] New Fighting Animation's?

Page: 1 of 1
 Scorge
11-27-2011, 9:00 PM
Is this possible? If so what program do I use to do this? I've searched Holowan for this kind of question's but there were no matches.
 CptPriceless
11-27-2011, 9:32 PM
You know, I remember the person who made Revan's flowing cape - a seemingly simple animation mod - swore never to mess with animation in KotOR ever again.
 LDR
11-28-2011, 1:00 AM
I'm afraid animation might be a bit out of your lead. Even LESS people animate than the people who create area models. Ask Sithspecter, and the horrors he endured making the Revan's flowing cape mod. Or Ӄhrizby, who created multiple animation mods.
 Hunters Run
11-28-2011, 4:23 PM
Hmmm.....new fighting animations. Yes it is possible. However currently you need to replace old animations with new ones. I stepped away from the modding scene for a while but, my latest project is discovering ways to create new animations without replacing old ones. While I have had minimal success with it, an earlier showed it might be possible. As I don't want to highjack this thread any questions about this project should be p.m. to me or put in my thread.

To answer your second question you need 3ds max or gmax, NWmax, and modlops v.6 alpha 1

Animations with kotor are time consuming. Also as in many things the more time you spend on it the better you will be.
 DarthStoney
11-28-2011, 8:20 PM
To answer your second question you need 3ds max or gmax, NWmax, and modlops v.6 alpha 1

Animations with kotor are time consuming. Also as in many things the more time you spend on it the better you will be.

As an added note also make sure to use the pearl scrips when using mdlops or animations will have bad results.
 Sithspecter
11-28-2011, 8:34 PM
You know, I remember the person who made Revan's flowing cape - a seemingly simple animation mod - swore never to mess with animation in KotOR ever again.

IAsk Sithspecter, and the horrors he endured making the Revan's flowing cape mod.

This is correct, right here. I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations for Revan's Flowing Cape and Belt. It was the most awful, tedious thing that I have ever done. And that was just 2 items of the model. There are probably around 100 total items that have to be animated, from model hooks to bones and all that... The fingers would be a nightmare. Frankly, nobody that is not specifically in a game animation career field has the time or talent to do more combat animations.

Plus, new combat animations would look horrendous in game. They won't match up with the existing combat animations, and the result will be swords or lightsabers that don't meet. It is pretty much the silliest thing to watch. It's happened to me in a few cutscenes, and it looks ridiculous.

So, possible...yes. Practical? No.
 Scorge
11-29-2011, 5:42 PM
I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations .

Damn! I thought that mod just took about 2 weeks, but still, I dont want to make an animation but I was wondering what program to use.
 Sithspecter
11-30-2011, 3:37 PM
Damn! I thought that mod just took about 2 weeks, but still, I dont want to make an animation but I was wondering what program to use.

:lol: 2 weeks... I wish. By the time that I was done with that mod, I was so sick of Revan, you have no idea.

I did it with Autodesk 3DS Max though.
 Rtas Vadum
11-30-2011, 7:45 PM
:lol: 2 weeks... I wish. By the time that I was done with that mod, I was so sick of Revan, you have no idea.

I did it with Autodesk 3DS Max though.

Something I've been wondering...would it be possible to use that animation porting method(meaning from model to model), and give the male and female Revan models(or the two unmasked models), the animated cape and belt?
 Toasty Fresh
12-26-2011, 7:13 AM
This is correct, right here. I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations for Revan's Flowing Cape and Belt. It was the most awful, tedious thing that I have ever done. And that was just 2 items of the model. There are probably around 100 total items that have to be animated, from model hooks to bones and all that... The fingers would be a nightmare. Frankly, nobody that is not specifically in a game animation career field has the time or talent to do more combat animations.

Plus, new combat animations would look horrendous in game. They won't match up with the existing combat animations, and the result will be swords or lightsabers that don't meet. It is pretty much the silliest thing to watch. It's happened to me in a few cutscenes, and it looks ridiculous.

So, possible...yes. Practical? No.

I've heard about the trials that were undertaken to produce this mod. Can you clarify as to what was required for that animation? As in, how does the animation system for KoTOR work? I'm not wanting to actually do any animating, I'm just curious and wondering why it took an entire year.
 Hunters Run
01-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, to get the cape to move Sithspecter needed to animate over 18,000 frames. That means he had to move the cape over 18,000 times. Furthermore, I believe he couldn't just move the cape and leave it he had to make sure it would be consistent with the rest of the animations. So those 18,000 times he moved the cape? Double the time. It is easier with TSL as the animations are already there.
 Toasty Fresh
01-01-2012, 6:14 PM
Well, to get the cape to move Sithspecter needed to animate over 18,000 frames. That means he had to move the cape over 18,000 times. Furthermore, I believe he couldn't just move the cape and leave it he had to make sure it would be consistent with the rest of the animations. So those 18,000 times he moved the cape? Double the time. It is easier with TSL as the animations are already there.

But it's not like each frame is kept in a separate file is it? I mean I used to do animating and I never had to animate each frame individually, you'd just set up keyframes and have the movements blend between each keyframe.

Sorry if I sound a little skeptical but I don't see why you'd need to animate each frame individually unless you could only have one frame loaded at a time for whatever reason.
 Hunters Run
01-01-2012, 8:24 PM
I cannot speak for Sithspector but I suspect that either A. he did not think of it or B. he thought it would look bad if each frame was not animated.
 Sith Holocron
01-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry if I sound a little skeptical but I don't see why you'd need to animate each frame individually unless you could only have one frame loaded at a time for whatever reason.

Well, if it hasn't already been discussed in this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=189192), you could always PM SithSpecter and ask him about it.
Page: 1 of 1