Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Do you prefer to be hot or cold?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rogue Nine
12-03-2010, 5:16 PM
Simple enough question. Are you better able to deal with heat or cold?

Personally, I hate feeling hot and sticky and sweaty and gross. There's only so much you can take off as well. Being cold is easily dealt with by adding layers or finding someone to warm up with.
 mimartin
12-03-2010, 5:29 PM
I would not live where I live if I could not deal with the heat. Heat is easily rectified by going into the air conditioner.

Cold and snow without mountains just plain sucks.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-03-2010, 7:58 PM
Cold, so long as it's not freezing cold, with snow and stuff. It's scorching hot here right now, even at night so I might be a little biased.
 Pho3nix
12-03-2010, 8:13 PM
I can never decide if I hate being too hot or too cold
 acdcfanbill
12-04-2010, 1:25 AM
I agree with Cold as it's easy to put on layers, but this part of niners statement confuses me... ...or finding someone to warm up with.
 Drunkside
12-04-2010, 8:00 AM
Cold.
 TriggerGod
12-04-2010, 2:13 PM
Having lived in the cold my entire life, I'm kinda biased. Although I do like to keep warm, I find my place in the cold.
 Q
12-04-2010, 8:53 PM
Cold. As the OP pointed out, you can always put on more clothes and light a fire. When it's hot, walking around nekkid is not very practical.
 Master-Kyle-Leeson09
12-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Cold is better with me--at least I can jam my hands in my pits to warm 'em!
 Prime
12-07-2010, 9:02 AM
I can deal with hot better.

Yet I live in Canada. Go figure.
 Astor
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Cold. It may be -8 outside, and my nose may be running like an out of control freight train, but I much happier when it's cold.
 Alexrd
12-07-2010, 9:07 PM
Cold, because:

Being cold is easily dealt with by adding layers or finding someone to warm up with.

And when it's hot, you may be even naked, but you are still feeling hot and being sticky.
 Mav
12-08-2010, 7:37 PM
I deal with cold better
 Miltiades
12-08-2010, 8:41 PM
Can't stand the cold.
 Darth InSidious
12-08-2010, 8:52 PM
I seem, on balance, to deal with the cold better.
 urluckyday
12-11-2010, 8:42 PM
Can always put more layers on...can only take so many off...I'd say cold if I'm around other dudes or by myself...

But oh, so warm if there are some voluptuous ladies around :naughty:
 ChAiNz.2da
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Hot. I absolutely HATE cold weather. Living in Michigan was hell.. moving to TN was better, but now it seems the cold is following :¬:
 Trench
12-13-2010, 5:54 PM
Somewhere in the middle. Right where you can work, swim, and spend time on the range without too much sweat. :shads3:
 Jasper_Kazai
12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Cold. It's much easier to warm up in cold weather than it is to cool down in hot weather. And, I always feel like the world is in a sharper focus when it's cold.
But I don't like either extreme.
 Darca Lar
12-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Hot. Im California born, I'm not bred for cold temperatures.
 LordOfTheFish
12-15-2010, 3:37 PM
Living on the east coast it's hot April through early October, so the cold is a treat for us.
 Jae Onasi
12-16-2010, 3:46 PM
I prefer cold from a practical standpoint, even if I prefer to stay warm.

I can always add more layers if it's cold out and still keep warm.

There's a practical limit to what I can take off when it's hot out. While Point Man may prefer me to run around 'au naturel', the rest of the world would not wish to be exposed to me in such a manner.
 Seikan
12-17-2010, 2:35 PM
I prefer hot, Because if you talk about "hot or cold" we should take the correspondent temperatures, it's sure that some may prefer 0° rather than 40° ok cool.

But if 40-58° are about the maximum temperature around the world, so for the cold the coldest are... around -80° so lets don't even think about that much, let's take around -30/-40°.

So would you rather live under -40°C rather than 40°C? ...

So I rather be under 40°C that -40°C...
 Titanius Anglesmith
12-18-2010, 5:09 AM
I always prefer extreme cold over extreme heat.

I live in Tennessee at the moment, so my hope of moving to New York at some point should fit me just fine.
 Dagobahn Eagle
12-20-2010, 4:52 PM
Suppose it has to do with what you're used to. If being drenched in sweat is preferable to shivering in your eyes, fine, that's your prerogative. Myself, I'll take cold any day. As others have said, cold is easily dealt with by putting on clothes, and it doesn't make you sweat or feel all dizzy like heat does. "No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing", as we Scandinavians say.
 Darth_Calo
12-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I picked option 2, "Cold"

I'm from New England. born and programmed to deal with the cold. Yes, I am aware that New England Cold is not the same as, say, Antartica cold, but it's still freezing. and I am able to deal with it, as a New Englander. I can deal with the heat, too (summers here get pretty intense for the climate), but I prefer to be cold. because the cold is (usually) a sign of the Holiday season.

well that's my two cents. happy holidays to all.
~D/C
 purifier
12-24-2010, 3:54 PM
Gotta be cold.
 Tommycat
12-29-2010, 5:49 PM
Hot... Figure the odds living in Phoenix, AZ. I've never had to scrape hot off my windshield. I've never been unable to stop my car because of hot. I've never had trouble climbing a hill in my car because of hot. It's never been so hot outside that I couldn't open my car door.

As far as I know, nobody has lost toes because of hot weather.

Lets face it, once your feet get cold, it's game over.

And the number one reason. Being in a loving and committed relationship, it's easier to gaze at women in bikinis.
 Darth333
12-29-2010, 6:40 PM
Unless I'm on a beach, I'd say cold: you can always add layers...

Even in the Arctic I prefer winter (end of summer is nice too when temp is around 0-10C but then it can be mosquito fest on non windy days). I'd take (a dry)-50C over +50C any day.

As far as I know, nobody has lost toes because of hot weather. But you can have a heat stroke...and die too.
 Darth Avlectus
12-30-2010, 6:31 PM
By far, cold. Been in colder weather all my life. I laugh when people in disneyland think 70F is cool to cold. I can always find ways to warm up--sometimes even get hot. :dev11:

Gone out in the snow in my boxers and barbecued.

Don't get me wrong, I like hot as well, but in general I am not as well adjusted to it.

A dry cold atmosphere is best IMO. Especially if it's up in the sierra nevadas with all that snow. Boarding and skiing. Magical. Even at -13F.

Funny how down the hill on either side it is just rainy and windy. CA is more open to the ocean, so you have the added downside of humidity. NV is not humid but the winds tend to be more dangerous.

I just don't care for fridgid cold without snow anymore. My swordplay friends all call me General Grievous because of my coughing, wheezing, and hacking in those conditions.
 Jennaida
12-31-2010, 4:34 AM
Cold, absolutely. I can't STAND to be too hot, to be honest.
 mimartin
01-01-2011, 3:03 PM
As far as I know, nobody has lost toes because of hot weather.
I’d like to test this theory. How would you like to perform a little experiment for me?

Wait until a very hot, sunny day during a Phoenix summer, find a large black asphalt parking lot, and then walk across the parking lot on your tiptoes.
 Tommycat
01-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I’d like to test this theory. How would you like to perform a little experiment for me?

Wait until a very hot, sunny day during a Phoenix summer, find a large black asphalt parking lot, and then walk across the parking lot on your tiptoes.
Already done that on a 118єf day. Hurts like crazy, but my toes remained in tact(if a little red) Though I COULD try it on a 123 day(yes, that's what the temp gauge in my truck reported). To make matters worse, I drive a black truck with black interior. Even on the hottest days(like the days when the temp needle moves before you start the truck) I don't have a problem(though a bit painful).

I've lived in Colorado. Don't get me wrong, it is real pretty when the snow falls, but you have to drive. That means chip the ice off the windshield because the snow that hit your windshield while it was still warm froze solid as a sheet of ice. Driving an automatic pickup is a bad idea. Anything RWD Automatic without antilock brakes had best stay in the parking lot. Then you have the roads which get snow on them, then it warms up just enough to melt some of the snow on the roads so that it can re-freeze at night into a very slick sheet covered by a second layer of snow.

Then they drop down gravel to give some semblance of traction. Which is fine, because at least it isn't salt which just eats cars. Except that after the snow melts you have this layer of gravel that acts like ball bearings.

Then there's the shoveling... Shovel the driveway, carve out a path through the pile of snow the plow driver decided to leave in front of your driveway. Or worse, because you couldn't park your car in your driveway because it happens to have a bit of a slope which is now an icy slide, you slide down the thing with your shovel to dig out your now completely buried car only to find that you have a HUGE smashed pile of junk where your car used to be. Or if you live on a street where they don't shovel, you dig out your neighbor's cars while trying to figure out which lump of snow happened to be your car. Bonus points for finding a car with the keys in the ignition and two people asphyxiated and frozen because even though there are warnings all during the season NOT to run your car if you get stuck, people like having the warmth of a heater running.
 Darth Avlectus
01-16-2011, 5:32 PM
In palm desert CA at 115 F you can unhitch a car trailer onto its 3rd leg and come back in several hours to find that 3rd leg is now sunken several inches deep and depending on length it may be buried in the asphalt up to the hilt while the hitch nose of the trailer is beginning to make its impression as well.

Why do people live in Death Valley where it gets even hotter?
 decalibron
01-17-2011, 2:01 PM
Tommycat makes a great point. :P i'm from Arizona myself, but i currently live in Colorado, so we get cold a lot, and believe you me, i've never missed 108 degrees in the shade, but it's certainly preferrable to 3 degrees in the sun.
 Ulmont
01-22-2011, 1:18 AM
Hot. Im California born, I'm not bred for cold temperatures.

Cold. I'm California born, and I HATE hot temperatures. It gets hard to breathe, and short of jumping in a stream (which all disappear in the summer [go figure]) you can't cool off. That and I don't seem to get cold (seriously, I've stood around in -6 C weather for about a half-hour with just normal pants and a light jacket [which I wear 98% of the time] and felt just fine; call me crazy, but I like the cold)
 Canaan Sadow
01-26-2011, 2:41 PM
Cold. Because it's easily rectifiable. You can either A.) Do what Niner says or B.) Go out and exercise, get warmed up and then if you get too hot the cool air will cool you down. [:
 jawathehutt
02-06-2011, 3:57 PM
Extreme cold sounds a lot more pleasant than extreme heat. Normal heat around me during the summer(70s-80s) vs normal cold during the winter(f-ing cold) though, I would go for the normal heat so I can tan and not have to base what I wear off of not dieing of hypothermia on the way to a party.
 Darth Avlectus
02-25-2011, 8:01 PM
Tommycat makes a great point. :P i'm from Arizona myself, but i currently live in Colorado, so we get cold a lot, and believe you me, i've never missed 108 degrees in the shade, but it's certainly preferrable to 3 degrees in the sun.

Difference of opinion and preference. I never missed fridgid cold in the sun but I am dying when it gets too hot. The only time I wasn't was a period when my nerves were shot from an arc welder accident.

Cold. I'm California born, and I HATE hot temperatures. It gets hard to breathe, and short of jumping in a stream (which all disappear in the summer [go figure]) you can't cool off. That and I don't seem to get cold (seriously, I've stood around in -6 C weather for about a half-hour with just normal pants and a light jacket [which I wear 98% of the time] and felt just fine; call me crazy, but I like the cold)

Here here. Fellow Californian here too. :p
 Mav
02-27-2011, 8:37 PM
When do we get a new poll? Staff is slackers. :carms:
Page: 1 of 1