Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Holographic Simulations Room

Page: 1 of 1
 bryzz
11-17-2010, 5:24 PM
I am sort of half working on a mod right now. I am hoping to finish the mod with the end result being a "Holographic Simulations Room" but before I get too soaked up in my idea I was wondering how I should go about making the npcs look "holographic".
 Dak Drexl
11-17-2010, 5:41 PM
Blue and transparent, maybe a noise filter as well :)

Edit: Take a look at one of the HOLO_*something* textures in ktool and try to replicate it.
 Canderis
11-17-2010, 6:01 PM
Duplicate layers and then erase every other row, colorize it blue, use alternate rows on each layer.
 bryzz
11-17-2010, 6:05 PM
Blue and transparent, maybe a noise filter as well :)

Edit: Take a look at one of the HOLO_*something* textures in ktool and try to replicate it.

Thats a good idea. I will make sure I take a look. What I wanted to try and do but am not sure how exactly I am to go about doing it is making them animated textures. I was making two textures for the texture I am going to use. One of the textures has subtle horizontal lines on it and the other has subtle vertical lines on it. I thought that if I could have it switch between the two often enough that it might look holographic.
And another question... How do I make them transparent?

Edit: Thanks Canderis: that seems very complicated. Also I looked at one of the Holo_... textures. They look like a mess.
 Dak Drexl
11-17-2010, 6:11 PM
How do I make them transparent?

You erase them and make sure they don't have an alpha channel, which would make them shine or something.
 bryzz
11-17-2010, 6:17 PM
You erase them and make sure they don't have an alpha channel, which would make them shine or something.

yes I thought about the alpha channel and got rid of it. What do you mean by erase?
 Dak Drexl
11-17-2010, 6:22 PM
Literally erase (eraser tool) parts of it at like 60% opacity or something. Play with the opacity a bit to see how it looks and how much you want to show through.
 bryzz
11-17-2010, 6:27 PM
Ok then. Thank You All.
I just have one last question then. I couldn't decide for myself so I thought I would ask. Should the enemy npcs be Sith Soldiers or Mandalorians?
 Zhaboka
11-17-2010, 8:40 PM
Hmmmm. I'm gonna go with Sith soliders, if it's a Jedi simulation room. The Council wouldn't like Mandalorian bloodlust encouraged in their facilities.
 VarsityPuppet
11-17-2010, 9:38 PM
If this is for KotorII, you could just set the flag in the utc to make it a hologram....
 bryzz
11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
its for kotor 1 and i think i am going to try my idea with the vertical / horizonal line switching and see how it goes
dont want mandalorian influencing jedi: makes sense so then I will stick to Sith Soldiers for now
thanks
 Darth Elessar
11-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I heard that in TSL, there's an option to make the npc holographic in the utc file; I'm not sure if it exists in KotOR I too or not. Hope that helps make things easier. :)
 Marius Fett
11-18-2010, 6:12 PM
Yeah, there's an option for that in TSL, but not in KotOR. :)
 DarthNandis
11-18-2010, 7:25 PM
Maybe you should take a look in Vandar's and Dodonna's models for the Ebon Hawk cutscene after leaving the Unknown World.
They are holograms, no?
 LDR
11-19-2010, 5:45 AM
Yes, but they are completely different NPCs.
 bryzz
11-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Literally erase (eraser tool) parts of it at like 60% opacity or something. Play with the opacity a bit to see how it looks and how much you want to show through.

I did what you said. The texture is not transparent. The texture is sorta bleached of color. I have another saved file of a Mandalorian texture holographic blue. I didn't work on the Sith Soldier texture yet. I was working with the Mandalorian textures; I was redoing some of my camouflage skins.

Anyway, I was wondering how I should go about making my texture transparent. Something similar to the transparent ghost affect given to Ajunta Pall in the Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance Mod. Maybe not as transparent but it is the same idea. Any ideas would be great.

Also i was having trouble implementing the vertical and horizontal lines I wanted. I was going to "smudge" in my lines but 1. the smudge is not as noticeable as I thought it would be and 2. the lines I am making are nowhere near horizontal or vertical due to the fact that I have to do it freehand. I am just looking for suggestions on another way to put in the lines; if there is another way.
 Zhaboka
11-19-2010, 11:11 PM
You need to save the texture file as a .png or a .gif for the transparency to work. Set the opacity to 50ish to test it, and try one of those filetypes, and it should work.

Unless you're already doing that...? I'll I'm saying is that .jpg doesn't work with transparency, it just puts your image over a white background, which is probably why your texture looks bleached.
 bryzz
11-20-2010, 11:13 AM
You need to save the texture file as a .png or a .gif for the transparency to work. Set the opacity to 50ish to test it, and try one of those filetypes, and it should work.

Unless you're already doing that...? I'll I'm saying is that .jpg doesn't work with transparency, it just puts your image over a white background, which is probably why your texture looks bleached.

I am using .tga so I don't know. I downloaded and took a look at the Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance mod to see how they had the textures for him transparent and they had an alpha channel. I am confused about it. Do I need an alpha channel? I tried it with one but that just makes him shine.
 Rtas Vadum
11-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I am using .tga so I don't know. I downloaded and took a look at the Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance mod to see how they had the textures for him transparent and they had an alpha channel. I am confused about it. Do I need an alpha channel? I tried it with one but that just makes him shine.

You'll probably want to look at the shader effect SilverEdge used. It would either be listed in the appearance.2da, or in a txi file(whose name would match the tga file).
 bryzz
11-20-2010, 1:33 PM
You'll probably want to look at the shader effect SilverEdge used. It would either be listed in the appearance.2da, or in a txi file(whose name would match the tga file).

Ok so I found out that under the evnmap column it says DEFAULT for that entry that was edited for the Ajunta Pall Unique Appearance mod whereas the N_Mandalorian03 row has CM_Baremetal. Is that what I need to change? (There are no .txi files in that unique appearance mod so I am guessing I do not need to do anything with them to get the transparent look I am trying to get.)

I made a request for a Endar Spire reskin but I am setting up the "new module" for the mod now it just has the same textures (specifically for the second half of the Endar Spire).
I was looking at it in-game and I was wondering if there way anything I could do about the dead bodies lying around. I removed all of the placeables and what not but there are still dead bodies.
Also I was wondering if there was anything I could do about the doors. They have the Endar Spire texture and when I did my own test texture the doors looked out of place because they have the original textures. I cannot change the original textures though because then they would look out of place when on the Endar Spire.
 Dak Drexl
11-20-2010, 4:36 PM
What you're going to need to do is make a new appearance.2da entry and copy the exact mandalorian line (if the mandalorian is what you're using). Then go to the envmap column and change it to ***** (or however many asterisks there are). That will take away the alpha channel and allow you to make it transparent.
 bryzz
11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
What you're going to need to do is make a new appearance.2da entry and copy the exact mandalorian line (if the mandalorian is what you're using). Then go to the envmap column and change it to ***** (or however many asterisks there are). That will take away the alpha channel and allow you to make it transparent.

Edit: "I just did that and they just show up as all one color - black - and they are really shiny."

Okay, I set up the "new module" for the first half of the Endar Spire. I now have both halves set up. They both still have the dead body and the door issues but I don't know what to do about it now. I guess I'll fiddle with it just to see what I can do. (I can't even walk around the whole ship because some of the doors are locked)
And another question... How do I link the 2 modules together? (if that makes sense) How do I get it so that I can walk from one module to the other like usual?
 Nick Vader
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
That, my friend, is a really complicated thing, called waypoint. You should check for tutorials about waypoints in Holowan Labs.
 bryzz
11-22-2010, 6:56 PM
That, my friend, is a really complicated thing, called waypoint. You should check for tutorials about waypoints in Holowan Labs.

when you say that what are you referencing to? the doors? the bodies? or moving from module to module?
I am looking. I found a tut on making npc's walk waypoints. I am sifting through the tuts because I am pretty sure I read something about going from one module to another with custom modules. That and I am trying to get a better understanding with the scripting since I know this mod will require a lot of it.
 Nick Vader
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
I am trying to get a better understanding with the scripting since I know this mod will require a lot of it.

If you're still working on this, let me tell you that the simplest way to go from one module to another is via a script:
{
StartNewModule("MODULENAME", "WPTAG");
}

Replace the MODULENAME with your... module's name :p and the wptag with the waypoint's tag where you want the pc to spawn. For example, to spawn in the xxx area, I open up the xxx.git file of the module from ktool, go to waypoints, find the TagResRef field of the waypoint I want and insert it in the above script.

OR you can leave it blank :p. Then, use the script in a dialog or so to make you go to the module.

HOW I USED IT:You speak to an npc named "blahblahblah", then select the dialog option "Can you take me to...xxx?" There, in the DLGEditor I have attached the script named warp.ncs to the field "Script that fires when spoken" of the entry, containing the above script in the quotes.
Page: 1 of 1