Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

modeling with zbrush

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Darkus
10-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, if not I'm sorry.

Has anyone tried modeling or importing Kotor models from gmax into zbrush? I tried the beta and I think it's a pretty cool program for organic modeling. With plugins like the decimation master it could be possible to make high detailed models with a low poly count and export them back to gmax/3dsmax.

However the beta is free so if anyone feels like trying this out check the link

oh snipes, can't the find the link for the beta but if you want it you'll find it....

here's the link to the plugin site
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/zplugins/)
 DarthParametric
10-11-2010, 4:44 AM
The only way to use apps like ZBrush and Mudbox with games is to generate a normal map that can be applied to the low poly game mesh. The Odyssey engine (i.e. the engine both KOTOR games run on) doesn't support normal maps, so ZBrush isn't going to be of any use.
 Quanon
10-11-2010, 7:06 AM
Unless you want to stuff a model with like 100.000.000.000.000.000 + poly's in the game
x-D
 harIII
10-12-2010, 9:25 AM
My advice is that you simply figure out how to use gmax or 3ds (3ds preferably if you have access to it). I use to think modeling is kind of like rocket science but I taught myself how to make high quality models in literally a month. Though I'm still having a problem with walkmeshing it's really easy to learn, it just takes time to make what exactly you're looking for when you get started. I started modeling about 3 months ago and you can see how far I've come along in that short a time by seeing some of the screenshots that I've made in the later posts of Shadows of the Empire.
 Darth Darkus
10-13-2010, 2:38 AM
The only way to use apps like ZBrush and Mudbox with games is to generate a normal map that can be applied to the low poly game mesh. The Odyssey engine (i.e. the engine both KOTOR games run on) doesn't support normal maps, so ZBrush isn't going to be of any use.

Unless you want to stuff a model with like 100.000.000.000.000.000 + poly's in the game
x-D

not even with this?

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71265)

and I didn't even mean making maps with it but characters. For maps my friend helps me out with cinema 4d
 DarthParametric
10-13-2010, 2:44 AM
You might want to read the info on the tin:

'Export it to your favorite 3D package which will now be able to open your sculpting to create specific textures like Normal Maps or Ambient Occlusion maps by baking the high resolution mesh information on a low resolution mesh."

You can't magically turn a multi-million poly mesh into a sub-100k mesh and retain the same level of detail as geometry. The only route is with rendering cheats like normal maps. Again, this isn't going to work in KOTOR.
 Darth Darkus
10-13-2010, 3:12 AM
too bad... 'cause this is a program I'm used to at least a little bit. But wth... it was just an idea.
 DarthParametric
10-13-2010, 7:52 AM
It's the de rigueur approach for all modern game engines. Unfortunately, Odyssey is not a modern engine. If you are interested in pursuing modding of that sort, you'll need to pick a newer game.
Page: 1 of 1