Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

That damn ring...

Page: 1 of 1
 Enkil
05-15-2010, 2:57 PM
Around the neck!
Been modding for a few days now and it was really going well, trying my hand at reskinning. I used the PMBAL01 (soldier skin) as my testing ground... so imagine my annoyance when I try the scout (PMBAM01) and see that he has this really ugly, differently coloured ring around the neck (slightly below, near the collarbones)!
I actually thought it was something I had done until I googled it and it seems that this Ugly Ring (tm) is part of the model, not the skin. ARGH!

So, of course, I was wondering if this is editable (got Gmax on a disc here somewhere...) - I am not very well versed in 3D modelling lingo so I don't know which of the modelling tutorials are meant for this...

Anyhow, help is appriciated.
 Rtas Vadum
05-15-2010, 3:14 PM
Think you could post a picture of what you mean? I've never seen anything like what you describe when I've edited that skin myself.
 Enkil
05-15-2010, 5:06 PM
Certainly - this isn't my skin, it's from the skinpack of LordKunda or some such (I am using it as reference). But the problem is still there, no matter what skin I use (that is shirtless).

Here it is:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z209/Kawatche/KotOR0000b.jpg)
 jimbo32
05-15-2010, 8:02 PM
Looks like the "ring around the neck" you're having trouble with is where the head model meets the body model. The two textures don't match, which is why the "seam" is more visible than normal. Same thing with the visible lines on the body - the different bits of the naked torso skin don't match.

I've never tried to texture naked skin before, but I suspect that the line between the head and body would be visible (at least somewhat) no matter what you try. I imagine that's why BioWare used underwear so extensively - if there's a clothing seam (or hem) at the same spot as the model seam, you can't notice the latter.
 Enkil
05-16-2010, 6:44 AM
Ah, I wasn't referring to where the neck meets the body - I know they won't match (getting the right lobster colour is hard).
Ah, here, let me be more specific... this is my skin on an early stage.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z209/Kawatche/KotOR000b.jpg)

I am pretty sure that the ring I'm referring to isn't on the skin itself, seeing as I should have overwritten it with this skin - clearly not the case:/
 jimbo32
05-16-2010, 9:46 AM
Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.

Does your base skin have an alpha channel mask, by any chance? That might cause a problem like that.
 VarsityPuppet
05-16-2010, 11:52 AM
That, my friend, is a model issue. That 'ring' you see is shadows outlining the shape of the model. It would be pretty easy to change that. I might even be able to help you out if a modified body model is all you need in this case.
 Enkil
05-16-2010, 2:42 PM
Does your base skin have an alpha channel mask, by any chance? That might cause a problem like that.

Er... that's all greek to me:(

VarsityPuppet: That would be awesome! So it was as I thought too, hm.
Page: 1 of 1