Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hints Dropped About Level Cap

Page: 1 of 1
 News
08-27-2009, 2:30 PM
Recently there has been talk about what the level cap will be in The Old Republic and how relative the characters we’ve seen in the developer walkthrough are to that cap. Well both Sean Dahlberg and Daniel Erickson have given us something to discuss on the matter. On the SWTOR official forums, Sean [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/hints-dropped-about-level-cap/)
 Trench
08-27-2009, 3:50 PM
They'd better not stop at 20 like they did in KotOR.:¬:
 Jeff
08-27-2009, 3:54 PM
Well in the video interview, he specifically said level 40, so we know we can at least get that high if not higher. I do not mind if the cap is high in this game as I don't see myself racing to max level like I tried to do in WoW. If it's like they tell us, leveling will actually be an enjoyable experience.
 RogueJedi86
08-27-2009, 4:23 PM
With at least level 40, maybe we can get an idea of how big the storylines are, though that is hard without knowing just how long it takes to get through a given level.
 Ztalker
08-27-2009, 5:09 PM
Hmmm...40 sounds good :)

Guild Wars felt a bit...'fast' with only 20 levels, whilst WoW has problems now...the new level cap will be 85 instead of 90 because they started too high at lv 60 and don't want players to become level 110 a few expansions later...that would just feel strange.

40 is fine :D

In WoW, every 10 levels orso offered new story aspects. At level 20 you got some major new powers, at 30 you got a mount and at 40 you unlocked a super interesting new skill (mostly stronger armors, new weapon skills, etc).
 Miltiades
08-27-2009, 5:43 PM
50 as in KotOR 2, perhaps? A nice round number.
 RogueJedi86
08-27-2009, 5:47 PM
Mass Effect has 60, maybe it'll end up being 60 after all. 60 is cliche though, WoW was 60, FFXI is 75, LotRO was 50(60 in the Moria expansion). 40 would definitely be distinct. Levels should be quality, not quantity. Awesome but few, instead of lame but numerous.
 Jeff
08-27-2009, 5:54 PM
50 as in KotOR 2, perhaps? A nice round number.I like 50. Even though like RogueJedi said Mass Effect had 60 so they might follow that, and even as trivial as it is, I can see people complaining that they "copied WoW" if they did level 60 as the cap. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it but it'd be best if they avoid those kind of things.
 WraithPrince
08-27-2009, 5:54 PM
^ agree with above post. WoW only needed 30 levels but they felt the need to only give you new skills every 2 levels but this could have been to give the player time to make up the money needed to buy them.

So 40 - 50 levels would be good.

Edit: meant Rogues post
 stoffe
08-27-2009, 5:55 PM
Hmmm...40 sounds good :)

Guild Wars felt a bit...'fast' with only 20 levels, whilst WoW has problems now...the new level cap will be 85 instead of 90 because they started too high at lv 60 and don't want players to become level 110 a few expansions later...that would just feel strange.

Personally I prefer a low level cap that you can reach fairly quickly, so you can get on to focusing on the game content itself rather than trying to become powerful enough to be able to use your intended character build effectively. It's one of the things that Guild Wars got right, in my opinion. :)

I'd much rather have a game that keeps you busy with story and quests, than one where you have to kill the same stuff over and over just to get your character to where you want them to be. I got tired of that back when playing Diablo II.
 Jeff
08-27-2009, 6:07 PM
Personally I prefer a low level cap that you can reach fairly quickly, so you can get on to focusing on the game content itself rather than trying to become powerful enough to be able to use your intended character build effectively. It's one of the things that Guild Wars got right, in my opinion. :)

I'd much rather have a game that keeps you busy with story and quests, than one where you have to kill the same stuff over and over just to get your character to where you want them to be. I got tired of that back when playing Diablo II.But it seems like from what we've been told that the leveling experience will be more like KotOR than an MMO like WoW or Guild Wars, and then it will still have endgame content like you'd expect from an MMO, so sort of the best of both worlds. That's why I don't mind a higher level cap with this one.
 RogueJedi86
08-27-2009, 7:06 PM
But it seems like from what we've been told that the leveling experience will be more like KotOR than an MMO like WoW or Guild Wars, and then it will still have endgame content like you'd expect from an MMO, so sort of the best of both worlds. That's why I don't mind a higher level cap with this one.

That's hoping BioWare can keep the story interesting for every level. I'd really like to know how long each level takes, so we know how big this beast will be. If each level takes a week to go through, the story better be really big like they're promising.

Alas, I'm just restless, since I'm deadset on a Trooper, and we've seen nothing of them at GamesCon or E3, much less their story. I wanna know what we Troopers are fighting for! What sort of epic story will be in store for the Republic's Finest?
 Jeff
08-27-2009, 7:09 PM
That's hoping BioWare can keep the story interesting for every level. I'd really like to know how long each level takes, so we know how big this beast will be. If each level takes a week to go through, the story better be really big like they're promising.

Alas, I'm just restless, since I'm deadset on a Trooper, and we've seen nothing of them at GamesCon or E3, much less their story. I wanna know what we Troopers are fighting for! What sort of epic story will be in store for the Republic's Finest?The only measurement of time I know of in the game is that it will have more content than every BioWare game ever made combined. Obviously that spans a lot more than the level experience though.
 RogueJedi86
08-27-2009, 7:12 PM
The only measurement of time I know of in the game is that it will have more content than every BioWare game ever made combined. Obviously that spans a lot more than the level experience though.

But will each class's story take them just to level cap, or to level cap plus a lot more? It'd be a shame to hit level cap and be done with your story.
 WraithPrince
08-27-2009, 9:08 PM
Your story will probably go on for a bit after you reach level cap you'll just get items and credits only for doing it, not to count they might add a bit to each classes story in expansions.
 Quanon
08-28-2009, 4:54 AM
Hmm, leveling will be a bit more weird I guess, then regular Kotor.

There you could level faster by killing everything :lol:
Though in TOR, you can be part of all the stories.

You can do your own main story and get XP for that, but what if you join one of your friends as a Bounty Hunter. Helping him out, will no doubt give some XP and extra goodies :p

I think it might be pretty fun, if there is one big overcapping story line, but you only see differant parts of it per class. Helping friends out might fill in blanks and such :p

Ofcourse thats a bit of whishlisting and off topic.
I just hope the first 30 levels arent boring...
 RogueJedi86
08-28-2009, 1:34 PM
Hmm, leveling will be a bit more weird I guess, then regular Kotor.

There you could level faster by killing everything :lol:
Though in TOR, you can be part of all the stories.

You can do your own main story and get XP for that, but what if you join one of your friends as a Bounty Hunter. Helping him out, will no doubt give some XP and extra goodies :p

I think it might be pretty fun, if there is one big overcapping story line, but you only see differant parts of it per class. Helping friends out might fill in blanks and such :p

Ofcourse thats a bit of whishlisting and off topic.
I just hope the first 30 levels arent boring...

I actually hope the opposite. I hope the levels after the first levels aren't boring. Some recent MMOs have had seriously quality dropoff after that. Age of Conan is all exciting and fully voiced, with unique quests........until level 20. After you leave the starting areas, you're back to voiceless NPCs and grinding.
Page: 1 of 1