Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project

Page: 7 of 8
 ThunderPeel2001
09-12-2010, 4:01 PM
Some interesting changes. I do wonder if some of the changes were deliberate by the gamemakers, though. The "the basic theory is fine" line seems ripe for cutting, as it doesn't add anything. The next line "we just need to adjust the aim" makes it clear of their thinking.

Did you re-add the "Looks kind of like an emaciated Charles Atlas" line? (They was cut for legal reasons?)

I'd actually like to play THIS version of the game WITHOUT the voices. Lol. Is that possible? (It's probably in the readme, isn't it?)
 Laserschwert
09-12-2010, 4:08 PM
I'd actually like to play THIS version of the game WITHOUT the voices. Lol. Is that possible? (It's probably in the readme, isn't it?)
It is possible. You can switch between speech, speech + subtitles, and subtitles only.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-12-2010, 7:15 PM
Some interesting changes. I do wonder if some of the changes were deliberate by the gamemakers, though. The "the basic theory is fine" line seems ripe for cutting, as it doesn't add anything.Of course, if they had any intention to remove that line, they'd probably just done that, instead of leaving it in a buggy script.Did you re-add the "Looks kind of like an emaciated Charles Atlas" line? (They was cut for legal reasons?)I considered it, but I didn't. After all, it was removed for legal reasons indeed.
I should add the script back without that line though. That would be at least useful for the German version, which had an unproblematic line here.

And for playing with no voice, it is possible the same way it is in Fate of Atlantis, since it is the exact same SCUMM engine. However, the original game has some moving or flashing subtitles. Those effects had to be removed in order to make it work properly. Also several sound effects won't play with voice acting turned off.
Sorry for those inconveniences. Maintaining silent playing really was not a priority, since adding voice was the whole point to begin with.
 ThunderPeel2001
09-13-2010, 8:49 AM
Good point about the Fettuccini Brothers line.

As for the Charles Atlas line, although it was censored by their legal department, it was a) originally in the game (including the Amiga version) and b) really funny! :)

Shame about the voice thing. It's ironic that you've fixed loads of annoying bugs, which I'm very interested in, but also added the voices (which, apart from a few exceptions, I really hate, lol!). Oh well. Good job, though.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-13-2010, 3:55 PM
Some analysis for Stan's price ideas.
The left half of the table has all cases which have a voice file, the right half has the cases which don't.
From left to right, numbers decrease by 450, which is the price for each extra (except for the porthole defogger, which is for free).

The first offer you make sets the value to 10000 (which includes all extras).
Following offerings changes the price in the opposite direction by half of the difference to the first offer. Which results in possible steps of 500.

Going away reduces the price 3 times. 1st by 1000, 2nd by 500 and finally by 100. Therefore going a way 2 times mostly results in prices already taken care of. The 3rd going away has less overlappings.

You can see a pattern in most of the voiced files, but also some oddities.
- 4800 is missing from a somewhat regular pattern, but let's ignore this detail for the moment.
- Giving anything other than 2000 as the first offer isn't considered at all.
- The follow up offer may be 5000, 4000 or 2000.
- After going away once, the follow up offers may be 5000, 3000 or 2000.
- After going away a second time, it is 4000 or 2000.
- Going away a 3rd time results in many unvoiced prices in any case.

For the impossible prices, the director apparently assumed that all 7 extras reduce the price by 450, since those would continue the existing rows.

Now, for making sure that the price you get is voiced, what would I do? I have some ideas so far:

- If the player offers 2000, then 4000, I have to disable the option to leave, since this would result in unavailable prices?

- I have to prevent leaving a second time, unless the player offered 2000.

- Leaving a 3rd time could be prevented completely. Or alternatively, I could just disable the price reducing effect.

- All offers leading to unvoiced lines have to be disabled.

So far, this might be slightly confusing, but still very playable.
But there is still the ugly part about the missing 4800. I could just cheat a bit and let Stan say 5250 instead, since he won't hesitate to sell for that price anyway.

Of course, those restrictions would be completely optional. Just you can do with Spiffy and the narrator, you could just choose between completeness and voice coverage mode.

What do you think?
Sea Monkey price voiced: Sea Monkey price silent:
regular prices after any offers and after going away one or two times:
7000 6550 6100 5650 5200 4750 4300
7500 7050 6600 6150 5700 5250 4800
8000 7550 7100 6650 6200 5750 5300
8500 8050 7600 7150 6700 6250 5800
9000 8550 8100 7650 7200 6750 6300
9500 9050 8600 8150 7700 7250 6800
10000 9550 9100 8650 8200 7750 7300
10500 10050 9600 9150 8700 8250 7800
11000 10550 10100 9650 9200 8750 8300
11500 11050 10600 10150 9700 9250 8800

possible prices after going away three times:
6900 6450 6000 5550 5100 4650 4200
7400 6950 6500 6050 5600 5150 4700
7900 7450
8400 7950
8900 8450
9400 8950
9900 9450

impossible prices, but voiced nevertheless:
5350 5850 6850
 Krasas
09-18-2010, 7:31 AM
It's probably a silly idea, but wouldn't it be possible to mix some of Stan's sound files to produce the 4800 offer? e.g. the speech for the 5800 offer edited and mixed with a speech file where Stan uses the word "four" (if any) or perhaps alternatively the word "for".

I guess the result would probably sound awkward though.
 cocomonk22
09-19-2010, 2:04 AM
I am assuming that the SE only uses prices in the voiced category, so in that case you should change the lines of code that affect the price Stan will say to match the way it is computed in SoMI:SE.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I am assuming that the SE only uses prices in the voiced category, so in that case you should change the lines of code that affect the price Stan will say to match the way it is computed in SoMI:SE.I did. In fact, I implemented it like described in my analysis above. This works better than in the SE, which just used the wrong numbers in case there is no voice file. It will be in the next version.

You can choose between keeping the original lines, for which some have no voice. Or you can play with voiced lines only, so you will get a 100% talkie.
This switch will also affect the swordmaster insult, the ship's kitchen floor, and the stump joke.
 Mau1wurf1977
09-19-2010, 1:30 PM
A small suggestion:

How about creating a folder called MI1_Ultimate_Classic_Version_ScummVM when you run install_flac.bat or install_ogg.bat

and

a folder called MI1_Ultimate_Classic_Version_DOS when running install.bat?

And calling the install files:

install_DOS
install_ScummVM_compressed_audio
install_ScummVM_lossless_audio

just so it's a bit easier for the average Joe

And finally why wasn't the better music from the SE (the remake) picked. Might as well pick it considering all the other tweaks :-)
 JezzaTheLagomorph
09-19-2010, 11:32 PM
If you read the readme, ScummVM gives you the choice to use the enhanced music from the Special Edition if you change the extra path.
 Mau1wurf1977
09-20-2010, 5:28 AM
If you read the readme, ScummVM gives you the choice to use the enhanced music from the Special Edition if you change the extra path.

The SE has two versions...

The "DOS" version and the "Remake" version.

Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project only supports the Music from the "DOS" version of SE.

But I would like to have the music from the "Remake" version. The one where you hear background noise / laughter in Scumm Bar...
 LogicDeLuxe
09-20-2010, 5:53 AM
Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project only supports the Music from the "DOS" version of SE.Actually, the installer should convert both versions ready to use in ScummVM. Are there files missing for some reason? What does your MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition folder exactly look like?
The one where you hear background noise / laughter in Scumm Bar... That's a different matter altogether. Those noises are in a separate file. Unlike in CMI and EMI, the SE music files have no noises mixed in most of the time.
 Mau1wurf1977
09-20-2010, 6:10 AM
Hmm interesting...

I have 2 subfolders:

cd_music_flac (this is from the DOS CD version right?)
se_music_flac (this sounds exactly like the DOS version of the SE edition)

However when I play the remake version the audio sounds richer...

So I assumed that the SE edition has 2 soundtracks, one for the DOS version and one for the remake...

But if like you say, this is because of missing sound effects, well that would explain it...

Any plans on adding these effects (background noise in the Scumm Bar, background noise in the fire scene right at the start)
 LogicDeLuxe
09-20-2010, 8:50 AM
So I assumed that the SE edition has 2 soundtracks, one for the DOS version and one for the remake...Which is what those sub-folders contain respectively. Did you set the sample rate to 44100 Hz in ScummVM?Any plans on adding these effectsI'll see what can be done. Probably not all of them.
 Mau1wurf1977
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the sample rate tip! That did make the difference!

Very happy so far. But I am most impressed about the DOS version as I have a bare metal DOS machine with a MT-32 and getting speech for that version is really really special!
 LogicDeLuxe
09-22-2010, 7:18 PM
And now, real-time sample splicing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-pTxB7TJ0)

Now, Stan can say any possible value up to 10950 pieces of eight. The existing samples are still use of course. The splicing script is only called for those cases where no pre-recorded sample exists.

And I think, it is a bug that the porthole defogger has no price. I set it to 450, like all the other extras. Not only are some samples recorded under the assumptions that each extra costs 450, there is also this line by Stan in every version of the game: "TWO THOUSAND LOUSY PIECES OF EIGHT!?!". With the ability to reduce the price a further 450 by not taking the porthole defogger, it is actually possible to get the ship for 2000. The existence of that line make me think, that it was the actual intention to begin with. Plus, it doesn't seem like Stan to give that for free.

The only restriction I have still in place when voice-only-mode is used: Your first offer can not be higher then 3000. Once you said your first offer, all options are available again, like it was in the original game.

Although this splicing script requires a bunch of print instructions to be executed in order to form the sentence, I managed to have the '.'-key usable to skip the line in its entirety.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-25-2010, 4:48 PM
Is it just me, or can someone reproduce this one problem?
It's the CTRL-p shortcut. It works fine in ScummVM and in DOSBox. On my old PC however, it doesn't. Neither in native DOS nor with Windows 95 running. The keyboard is fine, as other shortcuts work as ususal. Also the p-key invokes the "pick up"-verb as expected.
All of you with a true DOS machine capable of natively running SCUMM V5, could you please check, if CTRL-p works for you? Just start the game and skip all cutscenes until you arrive at the dock and press CTRL-p.
I want to know, if this is some issue I should fix in the game, or if my old PC is just playing some strange tricks on me.
 ThunderPeel2001
09-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Is it possible to play without the Voice Acting, but WITH the music?
 Laserschwert
09-26-2010, 1:28 PM
To quote myself:

It is possible. You can switch between speech, speech + subtitles, and subtitles only.

The speech setting is independent from the music selection.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-26-2010, 4:46 PM
Version v1.0 release candidate 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?6oo543u1tyb85hj)

Improvements in this version:
- "Raff." with a Guybrush sample when the dog is talking. (v0.5 beta)
- Low volume in DOS. Now it starts with the same default volume the original game had. In addition to that, your adjusted volume can be saved to monkey.cfg. (v0.5 beta)
- Subtitle mode toggle added.
- Title sequence now uses iMuse for beat matching instead of inaccurate timers. (v0.5 beta)
- Dialog option "You say you got a key from the locals?" did appear only if Guybrush did NOT learn about the key. Now it is the other way around. (all versions)
- Dialog option "You're the only one on the island?" was availabe instead of "So you're not the only one on the island?" under some circumstances, even when he just told about the key he got from the locals. (all versions)
- Stan did say "Inflation works in the other direction, you know." when you offer the same amount twice, even if your previous offer was less. (all versions)
- Stan had no voice for many possible values. This is now fixed for anything up to 10950 pieces of eight. (Special Edition)
- The porthole defogger now is actually worth something. (all versions)
- It was possible to burn the feather pen and get stuck. (all versions)

The modified ScummVM source: http://www.mediafire.com/?1u6cpr1ki0q3a8q)
This minor modification was required for two reasons:
- Better support the options menu, since orignal ScummVM assumes that the enhanced CD has neither MIDI nor voice acting.
- Even worse, original ScummVM refuses to use the string save feature, unless it is an Indiana Jones game. I use this feature to save the preferences (Spiffy mode, narator mode and subtitle mode).
 ThunderPeel2001
09-26-2010, 6:22 PM
WONDERFUL!!!
 questinghero
09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
The modified ScummVM source: http://www.mediafire.com/?1u6cpr1ki0q3a8q)
This minor modification was required for two reasons:
- Better support the options menu, since orignal ScummVM assumes that the enhanced CD has neither MIDI nor voice acting.
- Even worse, original ScummVM refuses to use the string save feature, unless it is an Indiana Jones game. I use this feature to save the preferences (Spiffy mode, narator mode and subtitle mode).

Is this going to be pushed to the main ScummVM? I only ask because I have been playing this patch on the Wii, and if I have to use this patch (as it is right now), I will not be able to do that.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Is this going to be pushed to the main ScummVM? I only ask because I have been playing this patch on the Wii, and if I have to use this patch (as it is right now), I will not be able to do that.
This is yet to be discussed with the ScummVM team. Unfortunately, they give very little priority to fan patches. So don't expect it to be there in the near future.
Of course, anyone able to compile ScummVM for further systems is welcomed to post it here.

Of course, you might try official builds. Sometimes, older versions might work. If it does, you would only miss on those two things mentioned above. The game should still run fine otherwise.

In case you're thinking of tricking ScummVM to believe it is running Indy4 by renaming the files (yes, the game does start then), this has one catch: Savegames don't work this way.
 LogicDeLuxe
09-29-2010, 1:24 PM
A new version with some minor upgrades I forgot to include in the RC1: http://www.mediafire.com/?ujyh1hxc9w9igz9)

v1.0 RC2:
- Environment sounds mixed into Scumm Bar music.
- No Charles Atlas, but Guybrush now says: "He's pretty creepy." (a voiced line) which makes more sense than "No thanks. I'd rather not touch any of this creepy voodoo stuff." when you just look at it. (enhanced CD)
- Swordmaster invisible after showing the kidnapper's note. (v0.5 beta)
- Wrong colors with some boot params. (v1.0 RC1)
- Walking off path after visiting Sword Master's (enhanced CD)
 questinghero
09-30-2010, 2:11 PM
Posted on the ScummVM site if they would push your code changes... I figure it never hurts to ask (I am theratt on the scummvm site).

feel free to chime in here (http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=61860#61860).
 DisapprovingOwl
10-01-2010, 9:38 AM
One small issue - as of RC2 I have been using your fan-modified version of ScummVM, and have re-added the game under "Secret of Monkey Island (Fan Patch)" as listed in the versions menu. However, even with this version of ScummVM, I can't get the game to start off in Speech Only mode; even though the settings are set to Speech Only, the game always reverts to Speech and Subtitles on loading and I have to change it manually. I'd prefer to be able to boot the Ultimate Talkie Edition (and the MI2 one, when it's out) in Speech Only mode rather than manually changing it every time I load the game up. Is there any way to fix this? = S
 LogicDeLuxe
10-01-2010, 3:16 PM
However, even with this version of ScummVM, I can't get the game to start off in Speech Only modeI took a look at this. There's nothing wrong with the ScummVM version. It's in the boot script.
There is this variable initialized which tells ScummVM to turn subtitles on, thus overriding the scummvm.ini setting. It was probably a remainder from older SCUMM versions and no longer required. Just removed it, and the problem is fixed.
 Teeth
10-02-2010, 5:01 PM
How do I set up Adlib mode?
 DisapprovingOwl
10-02-2010, 5:48 PM
Couple more little bugs:

-Occasionally when changing to a new screen in the Caverns of Meat, the verbs will briefly flash Green/Brown for a split second before returning to their usual purple colour.

-Can't remember if either of these are in the original game, but they confused me a bit when I ran across them on this playthrough. When talking to Herman by the pond (after filling it with water, without having spoken to him there when it was dry), I could ask "So you're not the only one on the island?" even though he hadn't previously told Guybrush about the locals (though admittedly, I had read the memos), and he seemed to think he'd already told me about his banana picker even though he hadn't. He also appended the line "I told you they took my banana picker, didn't I?" to the end of the conversation after Guybrush tells him he thinks Elaine is in the caverns under the island (the end of the "I came here to rescue someone" dialogue option), which seemed out of place.

Just in case it makes any difference, the settings I've been playing on are: Narrator ON, Fully-voiced mode, No Spiffy Closeup.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-02-2010, 6:12 PM
How do I set up Adlib mode?In DOS, just run with 'monkey a'.

With ScummVM and environment tracks still playing use boot param 10000.

With ScummVM and MIDI only, just remove the path to the CD tracks. It is supposed to play the MIDI tracks automatically then, but there is a bug with the RC2. For now, either use the boot param 10000, or press CTRL-F5 and "return to launcher", and start the game again.

-Occasionally when changing to a new screen in the Caverns of Meat, the verbs will briefly flash Green/Brown for a split second before returning to their usual purple colour.I might be able to improve this, but the engine has some limitations causing similar effects throughout the game. Most of them can't be fixed.

-Can't remember if either of these are in the original game, but they confused me a bit when I ran across them on this playthrough.You did play the latest version, right? Because I fixed several goofs in Herman's dialog scripts already. Most of which you describe here. Of course, there could be more of them.
And reading a certain memo is indeed supposed to enable the "So you're not the only one on the island?".
 DisapprovingOwl
10-02-2010, 6:21 PM
You did play the latest version, right?Yep, the latest version (RC2) is definitely the version I'm playing.

And reading a certain memo is indeed supposed to enable the "So you're not the only one on the island?".Ah, right - that's probably why that happened then, since I'd read all the memos I'd come across. Good to know that isn't a glitch. = ) The whole thing with thinking he's told Guybrush about the banana picker might still be worth double-checking in the scripts, though, since I hadn't been told about it by Herman or gone to the cannibal village yet at that point in the game.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-03-2010, 5:54 AM
New version: http://www.mediafire.com/?5fawgmhg23ir9ot)

v1.0 RC3:
- New games had always subtitles turned on in ScummVM. (v1.0 RC2)
- Animation was out of sync in first LeChuck cutscene. (v0.5 beta)
- Scumm Bar music not always stopping in MIDI mode. (v0.9 beta)
- Verbs flashing between rooms in hell maze. (enhanced CD)
 DisapprovingOwl
10-03-2010, 8:12 AM
Excellent, this works amazingly. = ) Good to see it booting up correctly in Speech-Only mode. I haven't got to the Caverns of Meat yet on this playthrough, but I'm also glad to see from your update list that the problem with the verbs has been dealt with.

To clarify on my earlier point about Herman, I've played through again on this new version (RC3) and it's still present. Providing he has mentioned the banana picker to you (or thinks he has), the following always happens on the "My name's Guybrush. I came here to rescue someone" option:

Guybrush:
Um...
Well, perhaps I could take you back, too...
...but I've got to rescue the governor, first.
I think she's on that ghost-ship underground.

Herman:
Oh, OK.
I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right?

The line in italics makes absolutely no sense in that context, since the ghosts aren't the ones who borrowed the banana picker. I can only assume this happens due to a bug somewhere in Herman's dialogue script - the line is correctly added to dialogue relating to the cannibals, so presumably there's a bug or a wrong reference somewhere that also adds it to the end of this unrelated dialogue.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-03-2010, 9:58 AM
Indeed, somethings is wrong here. Guybrush is only supposed to say "I think she's on that ghost-ship underground." when he already found it, and Herman shouldn't mention the key or the banana picker anymore, since that puzzle is already solved at this point. Otherwise, he should tell about the key you need. Then the reminder with the banana picker would make sense.
Did you found the ship already when you choose: "I came here to rescue someone"?

In addition to this, "I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right?" is an inventory check missing. It really shouldn't come up when Guybrush already got the key.

The main problem in the Herman dialogs is, that currently, the script makes no difference if Herman told something to Guybrush, or if he learned about it otherwise (from memos, the cannibals or the banana picker's inscription).

I think, I'll get it sorted.
 DisapprovingOwl
10-03-2010, 1:27 PM
Ah, great to hear you're looking into that, LogicDeluxe. = ) Apart from that, I haven't encountered any further bugs in the new version apart from the two minor issues listed below - I'm not even sure if the first needs fixing, though the second would be nice if possible.

In the opening credits. I usually play with the subtitle speed right up and on Speech Only mode, which is why I noticed this. There are three screens of credits that have to fit a large number of names on-screen at once, and thus use the regular speech font rather than the large credits font. Of these, the subtitle speed seems to make no difference to the first one ("Additional Art By..."), but makes the other two ("Testers..." screens 1&2) disappear really quickly. Is it possible to make the latter two unaffected by the subtitle speed like the first one, so that they can be readable no matter what your subtitle settings are?

Also in the opening credits: In Original CD Music mode, the first few notes of the music from the opening scene (with Guybrush and the lookout) play just before the opening credits end and the scene changes to the lookout point. I know this is because the lookout scene's music is a part of the track for the credits music - presumably the timing is a little off, not leaving enough silence between the end of the credits and the start of the lookout scene's music. Is it at all possible to split this track into two before the conversion to OGG/FLAC, to avoid this issue? This only appears to be an issue with the CD Music, not the SE Music; though presumably the track would need to be split in both to maintain consistency.

Sorry to have so many questions etc. I'm just trying to give as much information as possible, even on little issues, to make sure this can be the best and most bug-free version of SoMI available. = ) I really appreciate all the effort you put into tracking down and fixing things!
 LogicDeLuxe
10-03-2010, 2:04 PM
Also in the opening credits: In Original CD Music mode, the first few notes of the music from the opening scene (with Guybrush and the lookout) play just before the opening credits end and the scene changes to the lookout point.Did you use the RC3 generated tracks? I know, the timing is terrible on the original CD. And the tracks apparently are poorly ripped for the SE either (which I already fix during conversion). I already corrected the leading silence and added an additional second before the lookout music to compensate this. It works fine for me. I'll try to make the pause a little longer, which should fix slightly off timings. ScummVM isn't very precise with this either.Sorry to have so many questions etc. I'm just trying to give as much information as possible, even on little issues, to make sure this can be the best and most bug-free version of SoMI available.Which is very appreciated, of course.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-04-2010, 6:26 AM
New version: http://www.mediafire.com/?6x3ikfv6zz2o585)

v1.0 RC4:
- More goofs in the Herman dialog fixed.
 Jeremy Fitzoliver
10-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm almost certainly being thick here, so apologies in advance, BUT -

on running the "Fan Patch" version out of SCUMMVM, I automatically get the "you need to copy MP3s to get the nicer music" message that comes with normal SOMI on SCUMMVM. But there are two directories full of music under the Talkie Edition... what do I need to do to get a choice of them to run?

Thanks
 DisapprovingOwl
10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm almost certainly being thick here, so apologies in advance, BUT -

on running the "Fan Patch" version out of SCUMMVM, I automatically get the "you need to copy MP3s to get the nicer music" message that comes with normal SOMI on SCUMMVM. But there are two directories full of music under the Talkie Edition... what do I need to do to get a choice of them to run?

Thanks

Select the game on the ScummVM menu and click "Edit Game". Go to the 'Paths' tab. You'll then want to set the Extra Path to either the CD music folder for the CD version music, or the SE music folder for the Special Edition version's music.

Hope that's useful. = )
 Jeremy Fitzoliver
10-10-2010, 6:20 AM
Select the game on the ScummVM menu and click "Edit Game". Go to the 'Paths' tab. You'll then want to set the Extra Path to either the CD music folder for the CD version music, or the SE music folder for the Special Edition version's music.

Wonderful, thank you! It's nice to see that the internet isn't always bloody-minded carping, but friendly and helpful people.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-17-2010, 2:21 PM
Version 1.0 is to be released soon.
Please check the credits (CTRL-w, and readme.txt) and tell if you are comfortable with the way you're mentioned.

And feel free to try the new ScummVM version patched:
ScummVM_1.2.0_fan_patched_win32.zip (http://www.mediafire.com/?tlri3uqrmti9bmj)
scummvm-1.2.0_fan_patched_source.7z (http://www.mediafire.com/?8gsr3rt8fj7b9cj)
 omaer94
10-23-2010, 6:30 AM
I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the floppy version music instead of the CD music for the new talkie version.
 LogicDeLuxe
10-23-2010, 8:22 AM
I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the floppy version music instead of the CD music for the new talkie version.The AdLib tracks could not be taken from the floppy version, due to the different music engine. The MT-32 tracks are very similar, though. The new General MIDI and AdLib tracks are based on those MT-32 tracks.
PCjr or PC speaker is not supported.
 omaer94
10-23-2010, 11:23 AM
k thx a lot
 Jackpumpkinhead
10-26-2010, 9:29 AM
version 1.0 done yet
 DisapprovingOwl
10-30-2010, 6:23 AM
Finally got around to playtesting the latest version of this - got a little distracted going through the MI2 Ultimate Talkie Edition those first few times, haha. ; ) I've done a complete playthrough and am now double-checking the beginning of Part III, keeping a close eye on Herman's dialogue. While most of the glitches in his dialogue scripts seem to have been fixed, one notable one is still present. The glitch I mentioned for the previous version after telling Herman I'm here to rescue someone is still present - Guybrush still added I think she's on that ghost-ship underground. even though I hadn't yet seen the ship. Herman still said I told you about them borrowing my banana picker and never returning it, right? at the end of the dialogue; although this line only appears in RC4 when you've already talked about the banana picker, the line still makes no sense here as the conversation is about the ghost pirates, not the cannibals.

Will let you know of any more bugs that I find - am currently replaying the beginning of Part III a couple of times to double-check Herman's dialogue some more. Will let you know if I find anything more. = )
 questinghero
12-07-2010, 4:23 PM
I asked the guy who does the un-official ScummVM port to create a version for Android and he has it posted and it works great!

Android ScummVM for Monkey Island Talkie (http://anddev.at.ua/forum/2-2-1)

Enjoy!
 questinghero
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
it looks like fingolfin (the ScummVM Co-Lead) is willing to include this patch in to the official ScummVM, he just has a few questions about the code.

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9630)
 ThunderPeel2001
12-08-2010, 6:25 PM
Wow, pretty nifty!
 LogicDeLuxe
04-04-2011, 6:27 AM
Unfortunately, Espiox does not answer for over a year now. I tried pm him month ago. Thus my question: Could an admin update the opening post please? It gets more and more confusing for newbies.

- First of all, links to the latest patch, modified ScummVM and its source would be good. Just like done in the Monkey 2 Talkie thread.
- The "Known Problems" mentioned there should be all fixed by now.
- And the FAQ should be updated:

Q: What help is needed?
Completely outdated answer. Appropriate would be:
A: None anymore. The v1.0 should be released soon, when some legal concerns are cleared with the ScummVM team.

Q: Since it's for the DOS CD version, will it actually run in DOS?
Completely outdated answer here too. You may replace it with this:
A: It does, except that CD audio is not supported, which is a limitation of native SCUMM V5. However, the patched game adds support for MT-32 and General MIDI.

Q: Do you have any other features planned (like including SE music, "fixing" the VGA version, etc.)?
Yet another outdated answer. Try this:
A: The current patch fixes quite a lot of bugs, some which were introduced with the enhanced CD, and even some present in every version of the game available. The patch converts both soundtracks ready to be used with ScummVM.

The last one is a bit cluttered. Maybe you should put the music question to a separate one.
Page: 7 of 8