Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jumping

Page: 1 of 2
 True_Avery
03-02-2009, 2:11 AM
Is it awesome? Is it lame?

No-one truly knows, but its a national pass time in World of Warcraft. More often than not you will walk into a city and see maybe a dozen people just jumping in circles or jumping around the auction house to pass some times while something is being planned, auction is going on, etc.

Matrix Online had an amazing form of jumping in which you would jump regularly, but at level 10 got a new super jump ability. Every level past that you would jump higher and higher. Like some MMOs in which you get a mount, the main form of transportation in MO was jumping vast distances. I had a beta key which gave me super jump early, then at level 10 I got a beta participant only super jump, and then found a shirt that gave me more jump ability. It was damn fun.

In TOR, jumping could have many uses. Force Jump is obvious for Jedi, while non-Jedi have things like Jet-Packs. You could jump over a particularly annoying set of mobs (Get used to that term. It means group of enemy npcs), get somewhere faster, get up onto a ledge or over a hill to make a shortcut, etc.

Or, it could have simple jumping of a few feet by pressing spacebar like WoW

So, what do you think? Jumping? No Jumping?
 Jae Onasi
03-02-2009, 2:18 AM
Could be fun, hope we don't have a lot of Tiggers hopping around like maniacs. :D
 SW01
03-02-2009, 2:34 AM
I think that each and every character should have a standard 'short-jump' - like Grand Theft Auto or Mafia style, just enough to clear a low ledge, or climb over something if BioWare wants to implement that.

The, of course, Jedi/Sith should have their Force Jump, but to discourage Jae's Tiggers I would like to see it cost some amount of Force Points. The added bonus to that is waiting for some twit to waste his Jedi force points on jumping, then attack him and gain easy victory! :lol:

I would definitely like to see jumping implemented - it could give a greater feel of interaction with the environment BioWare is building if you could, say, jump or climb up onto an otherwise inaccessible ridge and get a view over whatever world you are on. Of course, there is also a combat application - Episode I style vaulting to higher platforms, etc.
 Sabretooth
03-02-2009, 3:32 AM
I don't know. Most probably a no, since it's unnecessary, but I pick le Yoda.
 Bob Lion54
03-02-2009, 3:52 AM
Jumping is one of those odd things that just feels missing when it's not there.

There doesn't have to be a need for it in TOR, as our skills could have the jump involved such as the different Power Attacks in KotOR. That said, just a regular "space-bar" jump needs to be included.
 HK-42
03-02-2009, 4:01 AM

There doesn't have to be a need for it in TOR, as our skills could have the jump involved such as the different Power Attacks in KotOR. That said, just a regular "space-bar" jump needs to be included.

The power attack in KOTOR was ok, took me a while to figure out how to do it :D

I think there should be a jump, I enjoyed the one in Jedi Outcast/Academy.

It might matter on the engine though?:confused:
 True_Avery
03-02-2009, 4:08 AM
It might matter on the engine though?:confused:
HeroEngine should be more than able to handle jumping. It has a falling and landing mechanic built in, and jumping is either also built in or could be easily coded in. Out of all things they will need the character to do, jumping would be one of the easier to program.

Jedi Academy style jumping would definitely be cool, but may also end up be game breaking.
 adamqd
03-02-2009, 5:09 AM
If you cant Jump while your in Combat, or there is nothing to Jump to/on, then whats the point? It really depends on how the worlds are explorable, and how the Combat system works :)

/Yoda
 Pho3nix
03-02-2009, 5:51 AM
YES

Jumping is an integral part of any game. I cannot stress this enough.
 Alkonium
03-02-2009, 8:19 AM
As long as there's a way to limit its use, or penalise idiots, yeah, it should be in there.
 EnderWiggin
03-02-2009, 9:21 AM
I don't know. Most probably a no, since it's unnecessary, but I pick le Yoda.

I agree.

_EW_
 LordOfTheFish
03-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I hate having to walk up so many ramps, and stairs. I pick yes but I'd like it to be different for each class.

For example, those classes wielding the force should be able to jump higher than say those who aren't force users.
 Jeff
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
YES

Jumping is an integral part of any game. I cannot stress this enough.^This.
 Darklink41
03-02-2009, 3:40 PM
For the sake of combat, no...
I don't like the fact that while you're engaged in a pvp fight, someone could be running and jumping around you like a maniac... very unstar wars like.
 True_Avery
03-02-2009, 4:22 PM
For the sake of combat, no...
I don't like the fact that while you're engaged in a pvp fight, someone could be running and jumping around you like a maniac... very unstar wars like.
Wasn't that every fight scene in the prequels?
 GeneralPloKoon
03-02-2009, 7:44 PM
Only jedi shoud jump, but others could use a jetpack to "jump".
 Hallucination
03-02-2009, 7:49 PM
^I'm not a cartographer, but I think you can jump using just your legs.

@Topic: I would seriously consider not playing the game if I couldn't jump, even if it had no purpose in gameplay.
 Jeff
03-02-2009, 7:57 PM

@Topic: I would seriously consider not playing the game if I couldn't jump, even if it had no purpose in gameplay.I hope the developers are reading this!
 Zerimar Nyliram
03-02-2009, 8:31 PM
Yes, games where you can jump are always lots of fun.

"Jump! Jump!
The Mac Dad will make ya
Jump! Jump!
Daddy Mac will make ya
Jump! Jump!
Kriss Kross will make ya
Jump! Jump!
Uh-huh, uh-huh
Jump! Jump!"
 adamqd
03-03-2009, 3:35 AM
"I get up, and nothing gets me down.
You got it tough. I've seen the toughest soul around.
And I know, baby, just how you feel.
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real
Oh can't you see me standing here,
I've got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen.
Oh can't you see what I mean ?

Might as well jump. Jump!
Go ahead, jump.
Might as well jump. Jump!
Go ahead, jump. Jump!"

(guitar solo)
(keyboard solo)
 Jan Gaarni
03-03-2009, 6:15 AM
You have no idea how many times I've gotten stuck in WoW and jump saved me from using my Hearthstone to port out of it, or call on a GM to save my butt.

So Jump must be in if you ask me. :)
 Tommycat
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I vote Yoda, but may switch to yes or no. If jumping is pretty much just an emote(appearance only with no use at all) then I don't see the need for it. Now, if special attacks or dodges can be applied while jumping, absolutely. In SWG and WoW jumping is pretty much visual only. It doesn't decrease the chance to hit or chance to dodge. It would be cool if they added in ie for jedi, You jump and a basic attack, you force jump to your target. Or for a ranged attacker(please let there be smugglers) you jump and attack and it does a critical attack with a higher chance to miss. Or you jump and dodge and it does a wicked cool jumping dodge effect that increases the chance for them to miss.
 EnderWiggin
03-03-2009, 5:11 PM

:lol:

_EW_
 jrrtoken
03-03-2009, 5:16 PM
To be honest, the only RPG that I've played that successfully incorporated jumping was Paper Mario, which was really more or less a role-playing platformer.
 Vikinor
03-03-2009, 5:54 PM
Yes! When jumping is not there it just feels like something is missing. When I played WoW, I would jump from time to time just to entertain myself. I currently play Guild Wars, which has no jumping. I still enjoy the game, but I would like it slightly more if I could jump.

I think TOR should have a basic jump that anyone and everyone can perform. Then as you get into Jedi and Sith they have force jumps and stuff. Possibly a "buff" skill and when it's on their basic jumps are converted into force jumps?
 Miltiades
03-03-2009, 6:17 PM
I don't care either way. Leave it out. Or not. I really don't feel like something's missing when playing games in which you can't jump.

Yoda it is!
 Darklink41
03-04-2009, 3:40 PM
Ok, so yes in the films they fought with jumping, i can agree with that = p
I'm just not big on the idea of jumping i guess... bah humbug!
 M@RS
03-04-2009, 3:46 PM
Yes, jumping should be in the game...
 Agent_Katarn00
03-04-2009, 4:35 PM
Yes because it is a excellent and helpful maneuver for many kinds of attacks that are coming for you.
 Nedak
03-04-2009, 5:30 PM
As long as it's not too obnoxious.
 SW01
03-04-2009, 5:38 PM
As long as it's not too obnoxious.

Yeah, not being able to do an eight foot standing jump - it would be alright if it was like the GTA IV jump - a bit more 'real', like a standing jump of a few inches, or a longer and slightly higher running jump. Jedi/Sith are the obvious exceptions, though. I stil think a slight force point charge would at least make them less casual about jumping about randomly. That, or the ability to snipe them out of the air! :D
 Web Rider
03-04-2009, 5:51 PM
I think there should be jumping, but perhaps a cooldown to avoid bunny-hopping all over the place.
 Hallucination
03-04-2009, 7:44 PM
I think there should be jumping, but perhaps a cooldown to avoid bunny-hopping all over the place.
As someone who occasionally bunny-hops all over the place, I can say that the reason people do that is because traveling in the most direct route (which usually happens to be a straight line for a good portion of it) is boring. Pushing buttons is fun, so people naturally want to jump while doing little things.
 TKA-001
03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw people bunnyhopping all over the place in Star Wars: Galaxies when the NGE hit. Jumping can go jump in a lake as far as I'm concerned.
 Jan Gaarni
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
In SWG and WoW jumping is pretty much visual only. It doesn't decrease the chance to hit or chance to dodge.

True for SWG, it is only a "cosmetic" jump. You see the animation, but in "physical terms", you don't really gain any height.

This is, however, not true for WoW. It is a usefull ability that can get you up on things that are otherwise in-accessable. This can give you an advantage if you are "climbing" up on higher ground for instance. Other uses are, you can run away from your enemy to stay out of range, jump, spin around 180 degrees mid-air, fire off one of your instance casts at him/her, and do another 180 before you land to continue away from your target. Doing this will not affect your speed and you can make pot shots at your pursuer.

This works best against melee dudes. :)
 GeneralPloKoon
03-05-2009, 8:11 PM
If there is jumping, people might want sprinting next...
 Hallucination
03-05-2009, 9:57 PM
If there is toast, people might want peanut butter next...

People wanting something little is not a big deal. Because it's little.
 Mav
03-06-2009, 12:59 AM
I hope there's sprinting, it'd be a pain in the butt to walk everywhere, jumping is nice too
 Sabretooth
03-06-2009, 4:44 AM
I hope there's sprinting, it'd be a pain in the butt to walk everywhere, jumping is nice too
You keep up with those sprints Mr. Bolt, I'll be riding my swoop bike right here. :shades2:

/they see me flyin'
they hatin'
patrollin'
they tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty.

//there are going to be swoop bikes, right
 Will O' The Wisq
03-14-2009, 4:36 PM
Absolutely yes!
Jedi Knight-series is a proof that Star Wars games need Jump
 Ataris
03-14-2009, 4:54 PM
I always felt that jumping was a serious lack of interactivity in a game. Even if it's useless, I think it should be there. Characters need motion. I think the entire world should be interactive with jumping. In Kotor, for example, running into an object made you become stuck, and movement was not easily done. In this game I think you should be able to jump onto any object you'd like, within reason, of course.
 Feagildin
03-14-2009, 7:27 PM

QFT

Couldn't have said it better, so I won't try. ;)
 TSR
03-15-2009, 11:44 AM
As long as they don't do a SWG style of jumping that has absoultely no use. Like not being able to jump over small pebbles due to their infinitly high invisible walls.

I like the WoW jumping. gives you something to do at summoning stones, and also expressing yourself in the form of interpretive dance.
 Ataris
03-15-2009, 3:01 PM
^ Yeah, that's what I mean. In KOTOR you can't walk over a pile of pebbles, you have to go around them. FAIL.
 Jan Gaarni
03-25-2009, 7:29 PM
As long as they don't do a SWG style of jumping that has absoultely no use. Like not being able to jump over small pebbles due to their infinitly high invisible walls.
Actually, unless they changed it after I left, the reason you couldn't jump over, as I explaind earlier, was because you weren't actually jumping. It was just an animation making it look like you were jumping, but in "reality" you never left the ground. :)
 Nedak
03-25-2009, 8:47 PM
Yeah, from the looks of some screenies there will be jumping.
 glovemaster
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
If the bounty hunter's can fly then I think its more than likely jump will be in there.

Bioware has been talking a lot of how they want the player to be as involved as possible, without jumping I'd feel quite separated from the environment - and exploration is one of the things I personally enjoy about MMO's, and any other game for that matter.
 Fredi
03-30-2009, 1:38 PM
Of course we should, Being a Jedi or a Sith without being able to force jump would suck.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Of course we should, Being a Jedi or a Sith without being able to force jump would suck.

Indeed. In fact, I can't imagine a Jedi/Sith not being able to jump.. would seem rather.. lacking imo considering all the flips and such you see in the movies.
 Darca Lar
04-07-2009, 2:57 PM
It really depends on the control scheme, but I'd say know mostly because it wouldn't be extremely necessary. Though I'm assuming so based on the point-click scheme being used in the KotOR series and WoW.
Page: 1 of 2