Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will SWTOR be your first MMO?

Page: 1 of 2
 Jeff
02-28-2009, 5:06 PM
For those of you who plan to play or at least try out SWTOR when it is released eventually, will it be your first MMO experience, or have you played other MMOs in the past? If so, which MMOs?
 Gurges-Ahter
02-28-2009, 5:13 PM
This will be my first MMO, which worries me. I have avoided them because I don't have enough time to dedicate to the game to justify a monthly payment to play it, plus I'm more into story than anything else when it comes to games. I've heard most MMO's lack story, so I've never really been interested.

However, since I am such a massive KotOR fan, I think I have to at least try SWTOR. Hopefully it will end up as addictive as its non-MMO predecessors were.
 leXX
02-28-2009, 5:56 PM
Nope. I've played:

Guild Wars (around 6 months)
World of Warcraft (2 years +)

I've also tried Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan, but I didn't like them. I haven't touched an mmo in months, and I don't plan on playing any more until ToR.
 jrrtoken
02-28-2009, 6:07 PM
Well, I played Guild Wars for about 15 minutes, until the repetitive quests, bland NPCs, boring combat, and overall blah-ness made me uninstall it with passion.
 SW01
02-28-2009, 6:46 PM
TOR will be the first 'real' (as in retail/pay-to-play) MMO that I have played, but I spent about a month on a free-to-play download MMO thing. Things got boring when it became a matter of 'you must grind up for 10 levels to have a hope of killing this monster' and 'unless you are 40 levels stronger than this boss, you need to go and scrounge help'. :(

Obviously, I'm hoping that TOR will be far superior, seeing it'll cost money at some stage and all!
 LordOfTheFish
02-28-2009, 7:01 PM
^Yeah the same for me. I've never been a PC gamer, anyway.
 Mav
02-28-2009, 7:23 PM
Played Galaxies until my free trial ended, I liked the space combat aspect, other than that I had no desire to keep playing. Don't know if I'll even get TOR.
 Pho3nix
02-28-2009, 8:21 PM
Nope.

I've played most MMO's out there, but WoW is what kept me hooked the most.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
02-28-2009, 9:36 PM
yeah, TOR'll be my first mmo...

i was contemplating getting galaxies at one point, but was chased away by the price... something like NZ $18.00 a month :eyepop. that, and all the bad stories ive heard about how galaxies has "descended into mmo hell".

actually, ive never completely understood that... could someone please explain to me what thats all about, and how/why it happened? (to an mmo noob who has never played one before)
 Rinku
02-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Wow. I feel like the only one who is going to openly say that I tried Runescape...Yeah, was good for about .908439382748374238 weeks :lol: and then I got bored because I beat everything (come on it was the summer, I had nothing to do). Haven't touched an MMO since, I forget if I tried WoW.

So my answer, is nope I've played a MMO before.
 Tommycat
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
To answer the main question, No. I play Galaxies now. Strangely enough I enjoyed that more than WoW. Even after the NGE. Then again, I was sustained by the space game.

...all the bad stories ive heard about how galaxies has "descended into mmo hell".

actually, ive never completely understood that... could someone please explain to me what thats all about, and how/why it happened? (to an mmo noob who has never played one before)

When Galaxies first released, it was a barely functional MMO. However once it got a bit more ironed out, it was the most diverse MMO out there. There were 31 professions that you could choose, and you could unlock jedi. Jedi was the alpha class. It was far above the other professions. But it was pretty difficult to achieve. Aside from Jedi you could master 2 and a half professions.... Then came the CU. Combat Upgrade. It caused a bit of an uproar because now everything was level based. Not long after that came the NGE... When it came out, it was even more broken than Galaxies when it first came out. 32 professions were now dropped down to 9 "iconic" professions. Most of the quests were broken. and there really wasn't much to do. They took a gamble that the people who said, "If you do this, I'll quit" were bluffing. They lost.

It is much better now. It really has a bunch to do, but you need a good regular group. I recommend you get in a good guild that does regular group stuff. It isn't solo friendly. It used to be very solo friendly at the start of the NGE. Part of why people hated it. But the game that people hated is in the past. The game people loved is further in the past. SWG became a warning to future MMO developers to never attempt to redesign the game after launch.
 Jan Gaarni
03-01-2009, 2:36 AM
Started off with EverQuest while waiting for SWGalaxies, just to get an idea of what an MMORPG feels like.

When SWG launched, my main gripe with it was that I had to run everywhere. :p

But aside from that, the game was great from the get go in my opinion.
It's diversity was huge when it comes to professions and combat skills.

But it had a major problem: It was made by Sony.

I didn't know it at the time, but that ment that they were, I guess, doomed to botch this game up eventually, and so they did as mentioned above. Not to mention, allowing everyone and their mothers to create Jedi characters. A huge mistake considering what time period this game was set in. Problem with Sony it seems, they'll do anything for a quick buck. :rolleyes:

I lost interest in it long before that luckily. I had hoped that the first expansion, Jump to Lightspeed, would re-ignite my interest and love for the game, and for a few weeks it did. But there were several aspects of it that was just another slap in the face of a hardened fan of Star Wars. 2 of them being the Bambi on Ice effect in space as it was called, and second, what the hell was the Wing Commander HUD doing in this game?!?
Why re-invent the cockpit when we already know from 10 years of experience beforehand how the HUD is?!? Star Wars Radar displayes are far better at conveying where in space a friend or foe is relative to you too, so that pissed me off aswell.

JtL was the final nail in the coffin for me, and I moved on to todays THE MMORPG it seems: World of Warcraft.

Been there since (that's 4 years now) and never looked back.

Other MMO's I've tried are LotR: Online, EVE .... Conan was something I looked forward to, and the first 20 levels was great. But once in the "open" world, I found out it wasn't as open as I had thought, more like zones like in EverQuest. That didn't sit well with me, as I was expecting huge open landscapes where you could go almost anywhere, like in WoW and SWG. The excitment that was generated in the level 1-20 area quickly vanished too, mostly due to having being spoiled with dialoged quests, and then turning into read only.

I am looking forward to TOR, and even if there are Jedi in there, this time I don't care, cause it's the appropriate time to be a Jedi atleast, compared to SWG. And since we don't know a whole lot about this time period yet either compared to the OT era, it stands to reason there's less chance of botching things up like was done with SWG. :)

Sony took Star Wars lore and wiped its ass with it!

/end rant
 True_Avery
03-01-2009, 3:46 AM
First MMO was Runescape years ago, and quite soon after.

Later, I picked up Matrix Online and played it for a few months and then it bottomed up. Maybe it is just my memory, but it was a fantastic MMO and still the best one I've ever played. The terrible lag, game glitches, etc ended up killing it however, and I left when my computer could no longer handle the problems it had.

Then I played some Guild Wars because it was free and played that for awhile before giving the account to my friend. It was bland, simple, and pretty poorly organized overall. The lack of an auction house made finding something nearly impossible, along with the many other odd ends like broken quests, bad npcs, etc. It was pretty, but I didn't really like it but respected hat it had tried to do and still think its a brilliant way to put MMOs together. I'm not sure how they are going to do TOR, but Guild Wars would be a better base than most to start from.

Then I moved onto WoW. It lived up to its rep for me. I RPed for the first year I played, which is how long it ended up taking me to get to 60. Then I joined up with a guild called Symphony of Blades and had a ball. Best gaming experience I have ever had, and the best online social experience I think I'll ever have the honor of being apart. Then Burning Crusade came along and our Guild couldn't cope and split. I quit WoW soon after as I felt Outland ruined the game irrevocably. I still have very fond memories of the experience, and am hoping to get it back in Tor.

I could have tried Galaxies, but opted for WoW instead after reading about the problems it suffered from. Knew a couple Galaxy players in WoW who managed to get Jedi when it was difficult, and pretty much owned the economy of their server. Sounded pretty entertaining at its rise, but from the sound of it the ship crashed damn hard into the dirt. Wish I could have been around in the hayday, but don't regret not playing it.

After quitting WoW I waited awhile and tried out Tabula Rasa. It was less fun without other people to play with, but I thought the system in which they made was innovative and interesting like Matrix Online. Combat was fun, but everything else needed work. From what I understand, Tabula Rasa has now been shut down. Sad, but I hope Bioware took some lessons from them.

There are a few others not worth mentioning. Been MMOing for a good part of my life because I simply find them entertaining. Some people don't like repetition and grinding, but I find it relaxing to sit back and essentially do less than nothing for awhile. It brings me a kind of peace, and anything else it has to offer is a plus.
 Jason Skywalker
03-01-2009, 6:22 AM
I've played MMO's before and still do. They're all F2P though.
 Zerimar Nyliram
03-01-2009, 9:34 AM
Yes, this will be my first MMO. I'm sort of apprehensive about the whole idea. I don't like games that go on forever that I can never beat, I don't like the idea of having to roam around the world for insane amounts of time leveling up in order to tackle the main story again (it's bad in enough in regular RPGs, but MMOs, I'm told, tend to stretch the whole thing out because you're playing over the Internet among a sea of players around the world), and don't like the idea of interacting with stupid teenagers who can't type worth crap and annoy the hell out of me.

So yes, this will be my first MMO. Let's see how it goes.
 adamqd
03-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Ive played and tried MMO for years, SWG relatively regular, from 04 to 05, then 6 months last year. But IMO I'm looking for tOR to be the first good MMO, by definition MMO's suck in almost every way, SWG especially, (More so before the NGE imo(not trying to cause a fracas, i genuinely thought the original swg was a stupid idea and would fail, so continued playing KotOR)) unless you have loads of free time and no life... or you think crafting shoe's and food, or decorating houses is Hella Star Warsy lol.

From what I've seen Bioware seem to be promising a compelling game, and my almost insane love for KotOR will keep me playing I'm sure.
 Sabretooth
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I voted a Nay, because it will be the first MMO I plan to play full-time.

I have played local betas for Ragnarok Online and A3, both of which failed to impress me much other than the ol' "ooh this is online" effect. In any case, what turned me off the most would be having to pay regularly for a game. So yes, TOR should be my first MMO.
 Astor
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
This will be my first MMO.

I have gotten to about the 25%, 50% and 75% stages when installing the trials for SWG, WOW and LOTRO respectively, and then decided on better uses of my time.

But, this is Bioware, so i'll likely give it a chance.
 Patrucio
03-01-2009, 8:01 PM
This will be my first MMO of this sort (so I said 'Yes'), though I have played browser-based MMOs like Nexus War and Urban Dead for some time (on an intermittant basis.)
 GeneralPloKoon
03-01-2009, 8:12 PM
I have never played an MMO, but TOR will most likely be my first(and maybe only) MMO.
 Hallucination
03-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I played Runescape back in the day and have been letting WoW ruin my grades for the past two and a half years.
 LordOfTheFish
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I have never played an MMO, but TOR will most likely be my first(and maybe only) MMO.

QFT :p
 Darklink41
03-02-2009, 3:36 PM
This will actually be my third MMO. first was Phantasy Star Online: Episodes one and two (Gamecube) and the other is the one that currently consumes my life, Final Fantasy XI. Looking forward to this one greatly though.
 Miltiades
03-03-2009, 6:23 PM
Guild Wars not being an MMO, that's a "no" on "Have you played an MMO before?". And a "maybe" on "Will SWTOR be your first MMO?".
 Exile007
03-03-2009, 6:56 PM
First MMO... I've never been very happy with paying 12 dollars a month or so for a game I play around five times a month. Of course, I'm hoping TOR will be an exception. :D
 M@RS
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
IF I get it, it will be my first MMO but I'm not to big on that type of game... :|
 EnderWiggin
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I played Galaxies for a few months back in the day - Pre-NGE and CU.

_EW_
 M@RS
03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't fully understand MMO's... Do you pay to play?
 Mav
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I don't fully understand MMO's... Do you pay to play?It depends on the game, the most common way to pay is monthly fees, but there are other payment methods and some are 'free-to-play'.
 M@RS
03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
It depends on the game, the most common way to pay is monthly fees, but there are other payment methods and some are 'free-to-play'.

Hmm, I didn't know that... Thanks... :)
 leXX
03-04-2009, 4:41 AM
First MMO... I've never been very happy with paying 12 dollars a month or so for a game I play around five times a month. Of course, I'm hoping TOR will be an exception. :D

Play five times a month? You really have no idea how many hours people put into mmo's do you lol.

When I was completely addicted to WoW, I played it for around 6 - 9 hours every single day for 2 years. Sad I know, but something I consider extremely good value for money. It actually saved me money, because before WoW I would buy 2 or 3 games per month costing £60+, compared to the £8 a month I was spending with WoW.
 Ibelin
03-04-2009, 6:54 AM
I will only play this for the content about Revan.
 Saber-Scorpion
03-04-2009, 9:24 AM
Yeah i had my share of experiences of MMO's i played Guild Wars SWG and WoW
I liked them all in someway but WoW is still my favourite and it will possibly always be my favourite as it brings new content very often or fixes

i liked Guild Wars for the cool armor and much more but didn't like that it was to short not the game but the leveling just 20 that doesn't fit me and then it didn't have anything else to work for and another thing all the stuff was to expensive

SWG was my first real MMO and it was cool and i still like not as much as WoW though i like the feeling of being in the world of Star Wars and i liked the weapons armor proffesions but the thing tha takes down the poins is that it's almost the same landscape everywhere on the planets like Tatooine is like sand,flat,flat hey a mountain,more sand and flat earth on naboo it was the same but green and more rivers and more mountains
but it is quite good

so no it's not my first mmo im not even sure if i play it i don't think there will be any game in a long time that is gonna beat WoW also it kind of disappointed me that they are not making kotor 3 they could at least have put it a few years after TSL
 Vikinor
03-04-2009, 3:33 PM
Nope.

I bought Guild Wars in 05 or 06, played that for a bit. Got to a point in the game known as Post Searing and I quit around level 12 or so.

Moved on to World of Warcraft. Played this game for a couple years, loved it. I didn't really care much for the Burning Crusade expansion, but I still purchased it and achieved the then maximum level of 70. The Burning Crusade expansion changed too much and in ways I did not like. Raiding was changed, Battlegrounds, Blood Elf Hunters, Outland was rather boring, and it also felt like they made the game a lot easier and more "mainstream".

I then tried out Tabula Rasa. It was a fun fast paced game. It needed some tweaking and I think it would have been a great game given time.

After those, Warhammer Online. A lot more was promised than what was received in this game, but I still liked it. The Player versus Player is quite fun, in my opinion.

I'm getting a little tired of monthly fees, so I'm enjoying free things. Or at least things with a subscription fee of less than $15 a month. I'm currently playing Guild Wars again because I never reached the highest level and decided since I have the time, then why not. I'm enjoying it.

I'd like for TOR to not have a subscription fee, but that is unlikely. If it does have one, then I hope it is such a good game that it is worth it. I wouldn't mind paying then.
 King_Zazu
04-01-2009, 7:03 PM
nope
back in 06 i tried both WoW and everquest, didnt like either. not a big enough hook (story wise) to help draw the mind into it, and it took waaaaaaaay to long to level up even a little bit
 JekRendar
04-03-2009, 4:27 AM
I played SWG since launch and still play. It's freeform gameplay and Star Wars setting make it a cut above the rest. Plus, six years later, it's graphics are still pleasing on the eyes.

And let me say, for you MMO newbies, I would recommend trying the WoW and SWG Trials. WoW--to understand what most of the incoming TOR players have played. I'd be willing to bet that a large minority (or even slim majority) of TOR players will only played WoW as far as MMOs go. Dinking around with WoW will allow you to relate to them. SWG--to understand the 'standard' TOR will be raised against. Even though TOR will probably be closer gameplay-wise to WoW, SWG is the only Star Wars MMO out there. So, many people will continue to compare the two. Not to mention, once you get used to it, you'll realize that SWG is the most underrated MMO on the market (far better than WoW, anyways).
 oldflash
04-03-2009, 6:17 AM
Played Archlord and World of Kung-Fu for 2 month each (about 4-6h/day). Now I try to undestand how to play SW Galaxy (trial ver) without success. I will like to play SWTOR but at the end its all about money.
 Tommycat
04-03-2009, 8:40 AM
I played SWG since launch and still play. It's freeform gameplay and Star Wars setting make it a cut above the rest. Plus, six years later, it's graphics are still pleasing on the eyes.

And let me say, for you MMO newbies, I would recommend trying the WoW and SWG Trials. WoW--to understand what most of the incoming TOR players have played. I'd be willing to bet that a large minority (or even slim majority) of TOR players will only played WoW as far as MMOs go. Dinking around with WoW will allow you to relate to them. SWG--to understand the 'standard' TOR will be raised against. Even though TOR will probably be closer gameplay-wise to WoW, SWG is the only Star Wars MMO out there. So, many people will continue to compare the two. Not to mention, once you get used to it, you'll realize that SWG is the most underrated MMO on the market (far better than WoW, anyways).
*passes Jek the Beer and Pie*

SWG is a good game. A lot of people give it a thumbs down, but in reality, it has many elements that are not in other MMO's. And now with the Appearance tab we can look unique(again). I honestly think if the game had launched as it is now(maybe sans Jedi), people would have rated it higher.
 RoxStar
04-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Then I played some Guild Wars because it was free and played that for awhile before giving the account to my friend. It was bland, simple, and pretty poorly organized overall. The lack of an auction house made finding something nearly impossible, along with the many other odd ends like broken quests, bad npcs, etc. It was pretty, but I didn't really like it but respected hat it had tried to do and still think its a brilliant way to put MMOs together. I'm not sure how they are going to do TOR, but Guild Wars would be a better base than most to start from.

^ Sums up Guild Wars pretty well. Although you didn't pay monthly, to keep up at all in PVP or with a guild you needed to purchase the nearly biannual expansion packs, which added up to the price you would pay for a monthly subscription anyway.
 Web Rider
04-03-2009, 2:56 PM
Well, I played Guild Wars for about 15 minutes, until the repetitive quests, bland NPCs, boring combat, and overall blah-ness made me uninstall it with passion.

I did that, and then got into WoW to hang out with my girlfriend while we were at different colleges.
 Steve-O Kreesh
04-04-2009, 8:54 AM
Yes, it will be.

Never been interested in any other MMO.
 Sharen Thrawn
04-05-2009, 10:34 AM
It will be for me. And if it wasn't for TOR, I would prolly never play any MMO :xp:
 HK-42
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes. The only other one I have ever been interested in was the Lord of the Rings Online, but Monthly prices scare me.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Not my first MMO (have and still currently play DDO) but I'm still looking forward to this one ;)
 Fiestainabox
04-08-2009, 6:41 AM
I played WoW quite religiously for about a year and a half, and Guild Wars, for about 10 minutes.

I wasn't a fan of how everyone looked nearly the same, and the ability to make a max leveled character right away.

The brief Guild Wars stint was in my "I friggen hate WoW!" stage <_<
 kotorfan84
04-16-2009, 1:12 PM
I started playing WoW in May of 07', was done in about 6 months. It was fun for a while, but it wasn't very solo friendly, and I didn't know anyone who played the game. I got to about the late 30s early 40s before I decided to give it up.
 Titanius Anglesmith
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I played the free basic version of Pirates of the Caribbean Online (which was really ****ty), but that's not much to go on.

So yes, I've played a MMO before, but I don't know much about the MMO "experience."
 Hallucination
04-16-2009, 11:43 PM
So yes, I've played a MMO before, but I don't know much about the MMO "experience."
The basic idea is that an MMO is 60% what you make it, 20% what the community makes it and 20% what the game itself is.

And that's why people who complain about MMO's ruining everything generally aren't really all that fun to talk to.
 True_Avery
04-17-2009, 2:18 AM
And that's why people who complain about MMO's ruining everything generally aren't really all that fun to talk to.
This post should be framed at the top of the forum for all to see.
 Jae Onasi
04-17-2009, 3:08 AM
I am not an mmo-virgin. I'm currently playing Guild Wars and LotRO. :)
Page: 1 of 2