Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Playing non-jedi

Page: 1 of 2
 Pwnzor326
01-27-2009, 6:21 PM
Who here is actually gonna play someone besides a Jedi or Sith?
 jrrtoken
01-27-2009, 6:32 PM
I might, if the other classes aren't relatively dull. This also includes quests associated with your class, including "Kill XXX amount of gizka.", which is essentially level-grinding.
 EnderWiggin
01-27-2009, 7:32 PM
I intend to, if just to be different from everyone else.

_EW_
 Alkonium
01-27-2009, 7:33 PM
I'll probably make at least one non-Jedi alt, though my main will be a Jedi.
 Paddythegreat
01-27-2009, 7:42 PM
I intend to, if just to be different from everyone else.

_EW_

I played swg from beta up until the CU so i hate ****ing jedi, i will not play one no matter how good they are, ill find a way to beat them always.
 SW01
01-27-2009, 8:34 PM
If I can play as a Sith Officer, I will. But, I will likely also have a Force-user alt - to wreak vengeance upon whatever band of Jedi players wipes me out...
 Pwnzor326
01-27-2009, 8:59 PM
Theres gotta be some heavy balancing I don't even know who they would do it.
 SW01
01-28-2009, 8:04 AM
Theres gotta be some heavy balancing I don't even know who they would do it.

I was discussing this fairly recently with a few friends - one of them had the notion that they might have Jedi/Sith advance slower than other characters, as in gain less exp per action, or require more exp to level.

Another balance may be to allow non-force user classes to advance skills, feats or attributes faster - to either beef up attack abilities, or skill modifiers (though a little less useful in battle), or things like wisdom, defence and strength to counteract the inherent advantages of playing as Jedi/Sith.
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
If TOR let's me play as a Mando, then I will certainly play as a non-force user.

Manies have all the coolest and biggest weapons to destroy things. :D
 adamqd
01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I'll play Jedi and Sith, if multiple character slots are available I shall have a pick up and go class like a commando for armor/guns/1 button kill reasons.
 Ztalker
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I wa discussing this fairly recently with a few friends - one of them had the notion that they might have Jedi/Sith advance slower than other characters, as in gain less exp per action, or require more exp to level.

Another balance may be to allow non-force user classes to advance skills, feats or attributes faster - to either beef up attack abilities, or skill modifiers (though a little less useful in battle), or things like wisdom, defence and strength to counteract the inherent advantages of playing as Jedi/Sith.

I think skill modifiers are the aim. We know Atton received training to kill Jedi as efficiently as possible. And I think Mandlorians have some tactics against Jedi/Sith as well after the Mando Wars. I expect Talents to give some cool anti-Jedi skills. It would rock, because, like in real life, a blaster bolt is deadly. Watch the Geonosis scene and you know what I mean.
 Jeff
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm sure I will eventually try all the classes and expect the non-force classes to be a lot of fun (Taris was one of my favorite planets in KotOR) but I do plan on rolling a Jedi first.
 Ztalker
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Same as Moeller, I forgot to add.

I'll be rolling a 'good' Sith first. I couldn't play a Sith in the kotor games (it feels...strange) so this is my chance to dish out some lightning on 'Vaderlover1995' and 'IAMDAEMPEROR1997.' :)
 GeneralPloKoon
01-28-2009, 1:10 PM
Being a Jedi/Sith is the last thing I will do if I ever get the game. I tried so hard to NOT be a Jedi in KOTOR....it failed...
 Darkkender
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I'll take your non-force using sharp witted smuggler archtype outside of my main which will be a lightside favoring neutral force user. You may call me Jedi only in name but in truth Jolee Bindo always had the right of it. If you have ever played the PnP rpg you will find that the non-force users easily had there balances vs the force-users much like DnD Fighters vs Wizards.
 Feagildin
02-02-2009, 3:19 PM
I would love to see a non-force sensitive class that can dig in and duke it out with Jedi/Sith! I don't know if it'll happen though. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll end up playing a Sith. Red saber plus Dun Mцch, my friends! :D
 Jeff
02-02-2009, 4:21 PM
I would love to see a non-force sensitive class that can dig in and duke it out with Jedi/Sith! I don't know if it'll happen though. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll end up playing a Sith. Red saber plus Dun Mцch, my friends! :DWell I'm sure they will find some way to balance all the classes as that is an essential part of any MMO. I think a smuggler or bounty hunter will be able to hold their own against Jedi and Sith.
 Nedak
02-02-2009, 8:28 PM
If they would announce another profession besides Jedi I might. Everytime new Jedi content comes out I fall in-love with the idea of being Jedi more and more.
 Pwnzor326
02-02-2009, 8:44 PM
I wa discussing this fairly recently with a few friends - one of them had the notion that they might have Jedi/Sith advance slower than other characters, as in gain less exp per action, or require more exp to level.

Yea but I'm sure that would get huge backlash just the thought of having to grind more even if your a Jedi makes me cringe.
 Darklink41
02-04-2009, 5:26 PM
It depends on how they do the paying structure. If you have to pay to have multiple characters, I may choose a Jedi first. If you can have more than 1, I'm going to choose a droid first. Not sure what droid classes there may be, but a healer droid might be fun. If not thta, then a soldier droid.
 Darth Eclipse
02-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I would play as non-Jedi. It's awsome using blasters and special gear and such.
 Feagildin
02-07-2009, 3:39 AM
So I've been thinking a lot more about this lately, and after playing through Jedi Outcast and Academy again, I think I would definitely love to roll a scoundrel character, someone who gets by on wit, luck, charm, and a good blaster at their side! Maybe even a held together with duct tape junker of a smuggling freighter? :cool:
 Tommycat
02-07-2009, 4:33 AM
I don't intend on playing a jedi at all. I might though, as all they have been talking about has been Jedi Jedi Jedi Jedi not jedi Jedi Jedi Jedi.
 Jae Onasi
02-07-2009, 9:15 AM
Of course I have to play at least on Jedi, it's one one of the reasons I love Star Wars, after all. However, I'll probably end up playing one of every class/profession that they have, just to try them all out and have a nice variety of toons to play with in different party settings.
 Aybara
02-24-2009, 1:39 AM
I hope that they can make the other classes more interesting.

I would rather not play as a Lawful or Chaotic zealot. ;)
 velinos
06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Im hoping all the people picking jedi to be luke or Daarth wont get upset when they are just your run of the mill average padawan and can get killed by people with just simple blaster.
 Saenjaina
06-10-2009, 6:57 AM
I'm really torn between the current classes. I find it quite cool to choose a non-force wielding class. Bounty Hunter is at the moment on the top of my list. On the other hand, Sith and Jedi really seem interesting as well. I've always liked their concept.

At the end of the day I think I will be a Jedi. But I'll wait and see what other classes are revealed, and if there are any more detailed info released later. Hopefully I will enter beta and that's a good place to try stuff out.
 Miltiades
06-10-2009, 8:12 AM
I don't know how many characters you can get, because I'd like to try more than one. But my main char will, at this moment, probably be a Bounty Hunter or Jedi. Haven't made up my mind yet.
 Prime
06-10-2009, 9:14 AM
Seeing as I am part of the OT generation. I would love to play a smuggler because I remember when Han Solo was KING!
 GonkH8er
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
I'll be playing the Hutt Slug class.

I'll just be sitting around eating. Keep at eye out for me!
 urluckyday
06-10-2009, 3:54 PM
If I decide to get this game...I'd definitely be a non-jedi...more fun that way imho.

Like when I was a little kid...I didn't wanna be obi-wan or luke or even vader...I wanted to be a stormtrooper...I hope there's an equivalent to that in this game...
 adamqd
06-10-2009, 4:08 PM
I will play other classes as well as Jedi but, I will mostly play Jedi without doubt. I'd like to think i could play Jedi without having to feel like a lemming, or a noob though. I remember how people who played Commando in SWG thought they were so above you because they didn't play Jedi lol, even though commando was completely over-powered and as common as Jedi anyway.
 Darth Avlectus
06-10-2009, 7:45 PM
Probably won't be able to join though I want to...but for one thing...I thought it was all the han solos, the fetts, dash rendars, lando calrissians, and the like who made the universe turn. Am I remembering things wrong, or was it more thought Han solo was the man in the early goings of the original trilogy?

Hell, I even respect Kyle Katarn more than Luke b/c Kyle knows what it's like to duke it out like a true badass as a merc.

Moreover...I don't see lightsabers blocking flamethrowers or carbonite streams...Most jedi seem to be (tactically) idiots.

...besides, if the force sensitives don't have people to rely upon, well, I could picture jedi doing janitorial work for hire. Like Here I am this badass lightsaber blademaster...but I only earn a little above minimum wages since my job otherwise is cleaning other people's messes.
 Totenkopf
06-10-2009, 8:16 PM
Yeah, but you have to remember that any decent jedi or sith has telekinetic or telepathic skills as well as combat abilities.
 WraithPrince
06-10-2009, 8:25 PM
actrually since its a video game which will more then likely copy the talent tree thing from WoW you will have a spec good at force or saber combat and w/e sentinal was supposted to be good at not counting getting the best gear in kotor 2 >_>
 ironheart
06-10-2009, 9:15 PM
Think they'll let us have one of each? :D

Nah, the regular classes are looking pretty cool but I'd rather be a Jedi.
 Trench
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
If I decide to play I may be a freelance merc. Most likely a Mandalorian. I'd get some creds from both sides, and have fun burning all the saber-swingers who get in my way. Lets see a Jedi deflect a homing rocket.
 EnderWiggin
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember when Han Solo was KING!

He STILL IS.

_EW_
 Tommycat
06-11-2009, 1:01 AM
The Smuggler ran up to a weakened thug, and then magic happened. He kicked in square in the groin, then shot him in the head to finish him.
Yep definitely playing smuggler.
 adamqd
06-11-2009, 4:35 AM
If I decide to play I may be a freelance merc. Most likely a Mandalorian. I'd get some creds from both sides, and have fun burning all the saber-swingers who get in my way. Lets see a Jedi deflect a homing rocket.

Not sure you can even be Neutral yet, but it would be good to be a guy just taking jobs from whoever pays better.
 leXX
06-11-2009, 6:24 AM
I'll try them all, see which one suits me best, and stick with that as my main. I'll more than likely end up with quite a few alts just like I did with wow.
 Tommycat
06-11-2009, 7:14 AM
From what I understand that option is off the table. They have repeatedly said that you will be part of a faction. But I could be wrong.
 WraithPrince
06-11-2009, 7:48 AM

Why would you want to be a Mandalorian as a race when they are human from what weve seen? from what im thinking Mandalorians are pretty much humans with accents, just look at Canderous.
 Saenjaina
06-11-2009, 8:13 AM
According to Wookiepedia, the Mandalorians consisted of many various races. Which seems quite consistent with the fact that they are above all a tribe or gathering of warriors.
 adamqd
06-11-2009, 8:26 AM
At the time just before and during the first Knights of the Old Republic, the Mandalorian clans were mainly human but consisted of many other alien races, including Wookiee's. The last of the Taung (Original Mandalorian race) Died out long before this game... Again, this could all change when the Game is released.
 WraithPrince
06-11-2009, 3:30 PM
so your pretty much saing Mandalorians are more like a Warrior guild/cult? since they don't really have their own government and take any race in pretty much as lnog as they want to smash peoples skulls in?
 adamqd
06-11-2009, 3:59 PM
From various Sources... The Mandalorians (called Mando'ade in Mando'a, meaning "children of Mandalore") were a warlike, nomadic group of clan-based people consisting of members from multiple species. Often, they served as mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Their culture revolved around that of battle and war being a source of honor and pride in their community. The leader of the Mandalorians typically took on the title of "Mandalore." Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, most notably Exar Kun and much later as a prototype for the Clone trooper under the power of Darth Sidious and the Galactic Republic, though they would not hesitate to cooperate with the Jedi if it suited them.

In later years Mandalorian Warriors wore very distinctive battle helmets with T-shaped visors that covered the entirety of their faces, which would provide inspiration for the helmets of the clone troopers. These helmets would eventually become strongly associated with the Mandalorian people.
 Trench
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Why would you want to be a Mandalorian as a race when they are human from what weve seen? from what im thinking Mandalorians are pretty much humans with accents, just look at Canderous.

I am saying who I would most likely align myself with if I play the game. Alignment has nothing to do with species, and frankly- I don't care what species I am as long as I get to don a custom suit of Beskar'gam.
 Nemez0r
06-12-2009, 2:23 PM
Im not sure if im gonna play anything other than sith... depends on the other classes to come.
 thrawn2034
06-13-2009, 6:00 PM
My main character will be Sith lord and my second will be a Bounty Hunter.
Page: 1 of 2