Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Israeli/Palestinian Conflict MEGATHREAD

Page: 2 of 5
 GarfieldJL
12-29-2008, 10:23 PM
gaza is one of the most densely populated areas in the world <snipped>

So you just admitted the difficulty Israel has trying to hit the terrorists without hitting civilians in the process.

an example of israel's actions against the palestinians and how little they care about palestinian civilian deaths

If they didn't care about civilian deaths they would have carpet bombed the place because unguided bombs cost a lot less than smart munitions.

yep, the israelis only killed some palestinians no reason for the ceasefire to be broken.

:rolleyes:

i return your chuckles to you sir (because you are wrong).

Don't try that song and dance, I did a report on the media using doctored photos trying to condemn Israel.

so you're own source is what you say it is even if it's contrary to what's posted? interesting.

No I'm saying they over-simplified the timeline. Furthermore the interview given on Fox News which I posted the link to, gives a more detailed view as to what's going on.

only they did kill people in their incursion. and it does make since because the israeli government consists of hardline militants who consider genocide a valid military option.

Did you even bother to look for the reason as to why Israel went into Gaza, cause I can tell you it sure wasn't boredom like what you're painting it as.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-29-2008, 10:41 PM
So you just admitted the difficulty Israel has trying to hit the terrorists without hitting civilians in the process, and I'm not spreading lies thank you kindly.it'd be easier if they'd stop targeting civilian targets.

:rolleyes:this seems to be your only worthwhile point (that you don't care).

Don't try that song and dance, I did a report on the media using doctored photos trying to condemn Israel.and i did a report on how garfieldjl and all of his sources are liars therefore i am an expert don't try and refute me.

Did you even bother to look for the reason as to why Israel went into Gaza, cause I can tell you it sure wasn't boredom like what you're painting it as.yes, i even posted about it. they broke the ceasefire, hamas retaliated, israel bombed them and played the victim with the help of arm twisting and sympathetic press.
 GarfieldJL
12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Israel isn't targetting civilians they're targetting Hamas whom is hiding behind civilians so they can parade dead children on the news.
 Tommycat
12-30-2008, 2:28 AM
Can we just point out the elephant in the room and note that if we offered to give each of these groups one of the Dakotas if they would call it off, neither would take us up on it? This whole thing is over who gets to have pissing rights to Jerusalem.
Sadly the truest statement regarding the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. We could bomb the whole area into being a water filled crater, and people would still be fighting over who gets to fish there.
 Web Rider
12-30-2008, 3:19 AM
Israel isn't targetting civilians they're targetting Hamas whom is hiding behind civilians so they can parade dead children on the news.

If there's a terrorist behind you, and you don't know it, and in front of you is a guy with a gun, do you:

A: want the guy to shoot through you to kill the terrorist, killing both of you in the process.
B: want the guy with the gun to ask you to move, THEN shoot the terrorist.
C: obey the cease-fire you all agreed upon and not kill anybody for the time being.

You do realize, those dead children wouldn't be dead to be paraded around on the news if Israel STOPPED BLOWING UP SCHOOLS. Who cares if every last adult in that school is a terrorist, you DONT BLOW UP CHILDREN to kill terrorists. Anyone who thinks it's OK to kill civilians who are totally unaware of who is or isn't a terrorist, and kill children who are totally innocent of anything, to kill a terrorist, needs to have their head examined.

Israel does not have the right to blow the beans out of Gaza whenever they please, heck, if they'd work WITH the DEMOCRACTICALLY elected Hamas government, and stop killing people, surprise, there might be fewer terrorist attacks because guess what, people don't want to kill you as much when you aren't being a complete asshat to their friends and family.

EDIT: and yes, to be fair, both sides are full of religious zealots who enjoy killing each other over a holy mount of dirt. God is everywhere, no one spot can be more holy than another.
 Astor
12-30-2008, 6:21 AM
That's a laugh, seriously Israel has not restricted shipments of food, they have required everything going in to be searched though for good reason.

From Wikipedia:

Israel, which governed the Gaza Strip from 1967-2005, still controls the strip's airspace, territorial waters, and offshore maritime access, as well as its side of the Gaza-Israeli border. This continued control has allowed the Israeli state, which opposes Hamas, to control the Gazan inflow and outflow of multiple types of resources, including food. Whenever food is in short supply, Gazans have had little choice but to take in food supplied by World Food Programme workers in the area.

Looks pretty restrictive to me.

It's also important to note that the Gaza Strip and the West Bank were never intended to belong to Israel in the first place - they were to become part of a new Arab State in the UN Partition Plan of 1947.

UN Partition Plan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Resolution_181)

This whole thing is over who gets to have pissing rights to Jerusalem.

If everyone (and this includes both sides - Arab and Jewish) could have acted like grown ups and agreed to the original plan, without wanting it all for themselves, then Jerusalem would have effectively been neutral ground.
 Tommycat
12-30-2008, 7:00 AM
If there's a terrorist behind you, and you don't know it, and in front of you is a guy with a gun, do you:

A: want the guy to shoot through you to kill the terrorist, killing both of you in the process.
B: want the guy with the gun to ask you to move, THEN shoot the terrorist.
C: obey the cease-fire you all agreed upon and not kill anybody for the time being.

I'd choose A, but that's a bad example. See I would willingly sacrifice myself to have a terrorist removed from society, but it is MY choice the kids don't have that choice. A better analogy would be if I would shoot through my kids to kill a terrorist. That is the moral dilema. I would choose NOT to shoot.

Ya know the thing that bugs me about the palestinians claiming to be the victims... It's the rockets.. I mean they keep getting more. It's unlikely that the Israelis are intentionally letting them through... Yet they say that they can't get food etc. You'd think that they would use those resources to get food rather than one shot devices.

Oh well...
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-30-2008, 7:13 AM
I'd choose A, but that's a bad example. See I would willingly sacrifice myself to have a terrorist removed from society, but it is MY choice the kids don't have that choice. A better analogy would be if I would shoot through my kids to kill a terrorist. That is the moral dilema. I would choose NOT to shoot.did you not see option b...? it's about what you'd prefer as far as i can tell...

Ya know the thing that bugs me about the palestinians claiming to be the victims... It's the rockets.. I mean they keep getting more. It's unlikely that the Israelis are intentionally letting them through... Yet they say that they can't get food etc. You'd think that they would use those resources to get food rather than one shot devices.

Oh well...they use ****ty, homemade qassam rockets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket), no need to smuggle them in. if they could smuggle something better in, they would, qassam rockets suck, they've even been known to explode before getting off the ground.
 Achilles
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
If everyone (and this includes both sides - Arab and Jewish) could have acted like grown ups and agreed to the original plan, without wanting it all for themselves, then Jerusalem would have effectively been neutral ground.Most likely true, but it still misses the point.

What is the significance of Jerusalem?
 mimartin
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
What is the significance of Jerusalem? Touche

I suggest anyone think real carefully before answering this question.

As for me, I’m going avoid the question as if it is the black plague, other than to say that is the sums of the problem quite nicely. If there was no religious significance to that piece of real estate by the Muslims, the Jews and the Christians there really would not be a reason for this conflict.

Again Achilles, Touche. Game, set and match to Achilles.
 Web Rider
12-30-2008, 1:20 PM
I'd choose A, but that's a bad example. See I would willingly sacrifice myself to have a terrorist removed from society, but it is MY choice the kids don't have that choice. A better analogy would be if I would shoot through my kids to kill a terrorist. That is the moral dilema. I would choose NOT to shoot.

There are two problems with that answer though.
1: You don't know it's a terrorist. As far as you know, there may not be a terrorist behind you at all. Only the guy with the gun knows/thinks there's a terrorist behind you.
2: You are society. If we kill society to "save" it from the terrorists, even if that's what society wants, then there will be no society left to save in the end.

What is the significance of Jerusalem?

Nothing.

Everything.
 Achilles
12-30-2008, 1:50 PM
Nothing.

Everything.No more Ridley Scott movies for you.
 Jae Onasi
12-30-2008, 3:15 PM
Yes, but the current iteration of Israel has only been around for 60 years.
The people-groups have been there thousands of years, regardless of whatever arbitrary lines get marked on the ground from time to time.
Can we just point out the elephant in the room and note that if we offered to give each of these groups one of the Dakotas if they would call it off, neither would take us up on it? This whole thing is over who gets to have rights to Jerusalem.
Well, I'd think they'd be pretty smart if they turned down life in Blizzard Central, but I''m not a big fan of wind chills in the -50F range, so I might be a little biased on that.

And yes, Jerusalem is a huge part of the conflict.
 Achilles
12-30-2008, 3:25 PM
The people-groups have been there thousands of years, regardless of whatever arbitrary lines get marked on the ground from time to time.We're talking about the actions of a government. If you want to conflate that with a indigenous tribe feel free, however I won't be joining you.
 Jae Onasi
12-30-2008, 3:47 PM
We're talking about the actions of a government. If you want to conflate that with a indigenous tribe feel free, however I won't be joining you.
Who have been fighting thousands of years in that region? Arabs and Israelis.
Who are running the governments currently in that region? Arabs (Palestinians) and Israelis.
 Web Rider
12-30-2008, 4:33 PM
No more Ridley Scott movies for you.

Awwww, well, at least you got the reference. Also, who names their kid "Ridley"?

On a more serious note, that answer does actually explain my view on the subject. To me, Jerusalem means nothing, if God if as all-powerful and omnipresent as these religious groups say, then it's impossible for one spot to be more holy than the other. There cannot be any more of God in one spot than any other, for that would mean there is less of God somewhere else, and that God is not as infinite as they say.

To them, it does mean everything, they are short-sighted and narrow-minded to believe that their religious belief NEEDS this holy location. To prove that they are somehow "more right" than the other guy. It makes them feel more religious to possess it, which honestly comes off to me as Idol Worship since they are valuing the land so highly. And they will do anything, except work together, to possess it. Which honestly annoys me as if they just worked and lived together, they could both have it and nobody would die over it.
 GarfieldJL
12-30-2008, 5:49 PM
Well the mainstream media was all over the Israelis dropping bombs on a UN Outpost in 2006, but many of them failed to report that the UN knew that location was being used as a launching plantform.

The words of a Canadian United Nations observer written just days before he was killed in an Israeli bombing of a UN post in Lebanon are evidence Hezbollah was using the post as a "shield" to fire rockets into Israel, says a former UN commander in Bosnia.

Those words, written in an e-mail dated just nine days ago, offer a possible explanation as to why the post -- which according to UN officials was clearly marked and known to Israeli forces -- was hit by Israel on Tuesday night, said retired Maj.-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie yesterday. -- Hezbollah was using UN post as a 'shield' (http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=37278180-a261-421d-84a9-7f94d5fc6d50)

Hamas does the same thing that Hezbollah did.
 jrrtoken
12-30-2008, 5:54 PM
Well the mainstream media was all over the Israelis dropping bombs on a UN Outpost in 2006, but many of them failed to report that the UN knew that location was being used as a launching platform.Please provide proof that the mainstream media went up in arms about this certain incident.
 GarfieldJL
12-30-2008, 6:06 PM
Please provide proof that the mainstream media went up in arms about this certain incident.

Here is one example:

BEIRUT, Lebanon - An Israeli bomb destroyed a U.N. observer post on the border in southern Lebanon Tuesday, killing three observers and leaving another feared dead, officials said. U.N. chief Kofi Annan said Israel appeared to have struck the site deliberately. -- MSNBC: Israeli strike destroys UN post, kills three (they got their article from AP) (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14029827/)

Another:

UNITED NATIONS � In a development that could prove a turning point in Israel's war to rid its northern border of Hezbollah, the United Nations yesterday suffered casualties in the fighting, and Secretary-General Annan immediately accused the Israeli Defense Force of a "deliberate targeting" of four blue-helmeted U.N. observers.

Military sources said the incident occurred during an air and artillery attack near Khiyam, at the eastern region of southern Lebanon, where the IDF was preparing a large ground assault meant to create a Hezbollah-free buffer zone on the area north of Israel's border. Four members of the United Nations's interim force in Lebanon, identified as being from Canada, Austria, China, and Finland, were killed. -- NY Sun (http://www.nysun.com/foreign/deaths-in-lebanon-of-un-observers-could-turn-war/36725/)
 jonathan7
12-30-2008, 6:08 PM
Well, I had promised myself that I wasn't going to post in this thread, but having seen Israel's idiot Interior minister on the TV, I was reminded of this quote;

One definition of insanity is to believe that you can keep doing what you’ve been doing and get different results.

Hamas seems to think they are going to achieve something different to what has been achieved for the last 60 years (5,000 in total), and the same with Israel. The situation will go on as it is because the above is true; they're nuts if they think the way either side is acting is going to solve anything, it will merely produce the same continual results; suffering, death and hatred.
 Achilles
12-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Who have been fighting thousands of years in that region? Everybody.
Who are running the governments currently in that region? Arabs (Palestinians) and Israelis.Fixed.
 Jae Onasi
12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Fixed.True that. :)
 Christos K
12-31-2008, 1:12 PM
I saw this thread and decided to post in it after a while... I wasnt going to at all because I thought this just wasnt the place. This is my opinion. Both sides need to stop being so damn greedy. That land is a holy place for more than just Jewish people anyone should be able to live there, vote, run and have the same laws. From what I have seen and heard I could be wrong it it the Israeli government clearly cannot stand Muslims living there. The government of that land needs to be made up of Christians, Muslims and Jews. It will not work another way. And splitting the country in to two is not gonna work that was an extremly idea. And being part American I dont mind saying this at all the U.S. goverment has no place to lend support. They can give their view of the issue but SHOULD not give favor to the Israeli government or the Palestinian government. And obviously this war means money making which is probably why the U.S. supports the Israeli governments view more money comes from there. Damnit why doesnt God just make one SUPER DUPER religion. Jesus is real and truthful, Mohammed is real and truthful, Dont know any only Jewish holy guys, gals and everything is put together for the SUPER DUPER religion. OH yah did I mention they just GET RID OF THAT CITY which has caused so many people to die it is probably equal to our current population. Now here is me picking a side. If I had to pick a side I would go with the Palestinians. To me its the more holy choice. The Israeli goverment is to greedy and manipulative in my opinion. I am not saying I hate all Israelis but that IF I had to pick a side.
 Achilles
12-31-2008, 1:29 PM
I saw this thread and decided to post in it. This is my opinion. Both sides need to stop being so damn greedy. That land is a holy place for more than just Jewish people anyone should be able to live there, vote, run and have the same laws. Wouldn't that require that all three of these religions would have to believe that each of the other two have some legitimacy? Wouldn't it mean having to curtail some of their own religion's mythology?

I won't let a stranger borrow my car, but you expect very religiously motivated people to trust people with completely different belief systems with their most holy land? I'm not saying it's not possible. I will say that I don't see how we can expect such behavior from the people engaged in this conflict.

From what I have seen and heard I could be wrong it it the Israeli government clearly cannot stand Muslims living there. The government of that land needs to be made up of Christians, Muslims and Jews. It will not work another way.I can think of one other way that it would work, but I don't think that's going to happen in our lifetimes either.

And splitting the country in to two is not gonna work that was an extremly idea. And being part American I dont mind saying this at all the U.S. goverment has no place to lend support. They can give their view of the issue but SHOULD not give favor to the Israeli government or the Palestinian government.The rapture right believes that christ won't return until Israel belongs to the Israelis. I don't see them sitting this one out.
 Christos K
12-31-2008, 1:36 PM
You have your points. But come on the three sides are only using religion as an excuse. They ALL want eachother dead so they can claim the money. They do not fight over religion. It started out as religion but than got extreme, out of control and exagerated. The thing is this conflict has so many f!@$ing beliefs each time someone wants to get involved instead of checking the beliefs they just add their own and boom they wanted to be involved to stop it but now hate one side or the other.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-31-2008, 1:38 PM
chomsky v dershowitz cage match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvJrb5lKu4)
 Christos K
12-31-2008, 1:45 PM
It seems to go by VERY slow I am not sure if I will watch it...
 Achilles
12-31-2008, 3:07 PM
But come on the three sides are only using religion as an excuse.For thousands of years?

The hatred might be enculturated within each group now, but I have no doubt in my mind that this was almost entirely a religious conflict when it started and is still a largely religious conflict now.

They ALL want eachother dead so they can claim the money.What money?

They do not fight over religion.I'm going to have to ask you how you intend to support this claim.

It started out as religion but than got extreme, out of control and exagerated.Why can it not be "religion" and "extreme, out of control, and exaggerated" at the same time? Is there something dictating that it must be either/or?

The thing is this conflict has so many f!@$ing beliefs each time someone wants to get involved instead of checking the beliefs they just add their own and boom they wanted to be involved to stop it but now hate one side or the other.But you just said that it wasn't about belief :confused:
 GarfieldJL
01-01-2009, 9:24 PM
Wouldn't that require that all three of these religions would have to believe that each of the other two have some legitimacy? Wouldn't it mean having to curtail some of their own religion's mythology?

For the Jewish people it is their most holy site, for Muslims it is the third most holy site. For Christians it's one of the most holy sites. Personally, I'd say as long as the Israelis don't restrict access to the dome of the rock on Muslims let Israel have the city because technically they were the ones that originally founded that particular city, and it is also their most holy site.

The most holy site in the Muslim Religion is Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

I won't let a stranger borrow my car, but you expect very religiously motivated people to trust people with completely different belief systems with their most holy land? I'm not saying it's not possible. I will say that I don't see how we can expect such behavior from the people engaged in this conflict.

It's not the Muslim's most holy land, it's their 3rd most holy land. For the Israelis it's their most holy site.
 The Doctor
01-01-2009, 9:40 PM
The point still stands, Garfy, that "the Muslims" are not going to trust Christians or Jews on one of their holy sites, whether it be the most Holy or the least. It's still Holy, and they don't want to allow access to people who don't recognise that Holliness.
 GarfieldJL
01-01-2009, 9:45 PM
The point still stands, Garfy, that "the Muslims" are not going to trust Christians or Jews on one of their holy sites, whether it be the most Holy or the least. It's still Holy, and they don't want to allow access to people who don't recognise that Holliness.

And the Jewish people and Christians aren't going to trust the Muslims either. I'm going by who claimed it to be Holy first, and that would be the Jewish people and the Christians. Islam is the youngest of the three religions.

I am going to say everyone is overlooking the other major player in all this, Iran.
 Achilles
01-01-2009, 9:57 PM
For the Jewish people it is their most holy site, for Muslims it is the third most holy site. For Christians it's one of the most holy sites. Personally, I'd say as long as the Israelis don't restrict access to the dome of the rock on Muslims let Israel have the city because technically they were the ones that originally founded that particular city, and it is also their most holy site.

The most holy site in the Muslim Religion is Mecca in Saudi Arabia.This is all good information however I don't see where it either adds to or contradicts what I posted.

It's not the Muslim's most holy land, it's their 3rd most holy land. For the Israelis it's their most holy site.Well considering that it was where muhammed allegedly flew up to heaven on his magic horse and we've all seen how riled up muslims get when it comes to muhammed, I'm willing argue that "3rd most holy" is still pretty important to them.
 GarfieldJL
01-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Well considering that it was where muhammed allegedly flew up to heaven on his magic horse and we've all seen how riled up muslims get when it comes to muhammed, I'm willing argue that "3rd most holy" is still pretty important to them.

And is the "City of David," was founded by the Jewish People, is their most holy site (and last I checked their only Holy Site). Plus it was a holy site to the Jewish People before the religion of Islam even existed and long before muhammed was even born.
 Achilles
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't think muslims are going to find that any more convincing than the christians who believe that Jerusalem is where jesus died for our sins. As I've pointed out countless times in the religion threads; it doesn't matter what you think, but what the believers think.

So, for as long as these three groups all believe that their religion is the right one and the other two are the wrong ones and all three believe that this region is critical to their belief system, there will be strife.
 Astor
01-02-2009, 1:42 PM
I am going to say everyone is overlooking the other major player in all this, Iran.

Aside from condemning Israel's attacks, Iran hasn't done anything.

The only major players here are Hamas and Israel.
 Web Rider
01-02-2009, 1:43 PM
And is the "City of David," was founded by the Jewish People, is their most holy site (and last I checked their only Holy Site). Plus it was a holy site to the Jewish People before the religion of Islam even existed and long before muhammed was even born.

Who had it holy first is irrelevant. It is holy to them now.

This is the problem with backtracking to "who was there first" and "who started it. All if that is irrelevant. Both groups are there now and have been there long enough to believe that they belong there.
 Astor
01-03-2009, 11:59 AM
There are claims that one Israeli video of 'Hamas Militants' loading missile onto before being destroyed is actually a video of civilians removing property from a damaged building.

Story, with video included. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7809371.stm)

It really could be either - but the area around the building and the truck is strewn with debris - possibly confirming Mr. Sanur's claim.

And, before anyone attempts to berate the source, or the author, he has this to say:

Several readers have e-mailed to ask whether I believe Hamas. One said I had "bought into" Hamas propaganda. Another that I should have dealt with Hamas' claims: "What's missing speaks volumes about your one-sidedness."

I do not believe anyone's "propaganda." We seek to verify all claims, from whatever source. One of the main claims in Gaza at the moment is the serious situation for the population. Having reported from Gaza many times over the years, I know how crowded parts of it are and how dependent the people are on food aid from the UN. This means they have no other source of supply but equally, if the system is working, they should be getting enough to get by on. The problem is that foreign correspondents cannot get in to establish the exact situation for themselves.
 Web Rider
01-03-2009, 1:17 PM
There are claims that one Israeli video of 'Hamas Militants' loading missile onto before being destroyed is actually a video of civilians removing property from a damaged building.

Story, with video included. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7809371.stm)

It really could be either - but the area around the building and the truck is strewn with debris - possibly confirming Mr. Sanur's claim.

My thoughts were pretty much as follows: the debris are too uniform. Eacy was heavy and delicate enough to require two people to move, they were all about the same length(the width of the truck bed) and appeared to be roughly the same width, and they were'd very tall, if I had to take a guess, I would say heavy timbers or some sort of cylinders. They could be pipe, but unless it's steel pipe, it shouldn't be very heavy.

If they are pipe, I would wonder why someone has such quality pipe laying around in their home and not being used as pipe. Perhaps it was a plumbing store? Didn't look like a construction supply place, and I've never been under the impression that the people in Gaza had any stores like that.

Given that the video is the colors and quality it is, my only thought at the end would be to see more videos to see if confirmed sightings of rockets look the same. But right now, they do not have the benefit of my doubt, I think they probably were missiles. But I'm not trained in figuring these things out, and I doubt anyone here really is either. So, asking us casual people to examine this footage isn't going to really solve anything.
 Astor
01-03-2009, 2:00 PM
So, asking us casual people to examine this footage isn't going to really solve anything.

For the record, i'm not asking everyone to evaluate it, I saw the story and thought it had merit (more for the 'which side do we believe' part than the claim that they were civilians).
 Web Rider
01-03-2009, 2:43 PM
For the record, i'm not asking everyone to evaluate it, I saw the story and thought it had merit (more for the 'which side do we believe' part than the claim that they were civilians).

I know, but we're always supposed to evaluate sources here right? There main source there is the video, we can speculate, but we're not really trained in figuring out those images.

also:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/03/AR2009010301031.html?hpid=topnews)

Israeli ground forces have just entered Gaza for a "lengthy operation".
 jonathan7
01-03-2009, 2:46 PM
Israeli ground forces have just entered Gaza for a "lengthy operation".

I still think this;

One definition of insanity is to believe that you can keep doing what you’ve been doing and get different results.
 Astor
01-03-2009, 2:57 PM
The office of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has also announced that the government has ordered the urgent call-up of "tens of thousands" of extra military reservists.

Isn't that classed as 'overkill'?
 Rev7
01-03-2009, 3:48 PM

I have to agree with Web Rider, it is way too hard to really tell what happened. It had to have been a really small bomb/missile.

According to Wikipedia the Israeli Air Force has these air to surface weapons: (These are not all...)
AGM-62 Walleye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-62_Walleye)
AGM-65 Maverick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-65_Maverick)
AGM-142 Popeye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-142_Popeye) (Seems way too big)

Or the 500, 1000, and 2000 pound bombs. I personally think that it must have been a GBU-54/B LaserJDAM (MK-82), essentially a 500lb guided bomb, For something that had such a small explosion, and was a precision guided, that is the only thing that makes sense to me. You also see in the video that the pilot was possibly marking the truck with the laser (or he could have just selected a point to zoom in at :/ )
 jrrtoken
01-03-2009, 4:28 PM
Hm... not very surprising. Since Gaza is a densely populated urban area, it might just cause the Israelis more casualties than Hamas. Yet, Israel is very fond of its bulldozers, so perhaps they'll go for a scorched earth strategy. Either way, they're going to be hated even more by Palestinians, which means more retribution from fanatics, which means even more violence. What a wonderful cycle, eh?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-03-2009, 7:10 PM
Isn't that classed as 'overkill'?not when your strategy is

...To maximize the number of Jews; to minimize the number of Palestinians...

- http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=360533&contrassID=2&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y)
 Yar-El
01-03-2009, 7:56 PM
Israel called up tens of thousands of reservists in the event Palestinian militants in the West Bank or Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon decide to exploit the broad offensive in Gaza to launch attacks against Israel on other fronts.

Isn't that classed as 'overkill'?
Israel means to end all wars? Nah, overkill is a little over the top. Its a small defensive move.
 jonathan7
01-03-2009, 7:58 PM
Israel means to end all wars? Nah, overkill is a little over the top. Its a small defensive move.

I'll be sure to inform the families of the 400+ dead that this is only a small defensive move; it will only result in one thing, more death, destruction and hatred.
 Yar-El
01-03-2009, 8:29 PM
I'll be sure to inform the families of the 400+ dead that this is only a small defensive move; it will only result in one thing, more death, destruction and hatred.
There is a cold and dark reality to the 21st century. We have no more room to grow. We have no more islands to explore; thus, the expansion of freedom is now limited to isolated pockets of Earth. Democracy can't afford to sleep when so much is to be lost. Isreal's position is the new thinking of tomorrow. I read a article recently by someone from NASA and Space.com. Its message woke me up to a deep truth about the future. Democracy is destined to fail if there is no more room for rebellion. Expansion is important for the survival of all civilization; thus, Isreal is looking to survive in a world flexing. Their inaction in a chaotic world will only cost more lives. The needs of the many must outway the needs of the few. 400+ deaths is nothing to sneeze about; however, their loss means nothing if you don't give them purpose. Take why they died away, and you are left with meaningless deaths.

Why do you think civilians die in wars? It happens all the time. Give them meaning. I do. People need to wakeup. Life is not Star Wars, and diplomacy is not always welcomed. Reality stinks. There is no starting over. There is no such thing as waving a white flag. There is no more room to expand. Isreal is right to protect itself and it's way of life.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-03-2009, 8:57 PM
There is a cold and dark reality to the 21st century. We have no more room to grow. We have no more islands to explore; thus, the expansion of freedom is now limited to isolated pockets of Earth. Democracy can't afford to sleep when so much is to be lost. Isreal's position is the new thinking of tomorrow. I read a article recently by someone from NASA and Space.com. Its message woke me up to a deep truth about the future. Democracy is destined to fail if there is no more room for rebellion. Expansion is important for the survival of all civilization; thus, Isreal is looking to survive in a world flexing. Their inaction in a chaotic world will only cost more lives. The needs of the many must outway the needs of the few. 400+ deaths is nothing to sneeze about; however, their loss means nothing if you don't give them purpose. Take why they died away, and you are left with meaningless deaths.

Why do you think civilians die in wars? It happens all the time. Give them meaning. I do. People need to wakeup. Life is not Star Wars, and diplomacy is not always welcomed. Reality stinks. There is no starting over. There is no such thing as waving a white flag. There is no more room to expand. Isreal is right to protect itself and it's way of life....

what the hell are you on about

i saw something about democracy, so in case you didn't know, palestine is a democracy. you should probably learn the facts about what you're discussing beforehand instead of trying to use some "big picture" argument to sound deep and philosophical (you didn't fyi).
 True_Avery
01-03-2009, 9:09 PM
Democracy is destined to fail if there is no more room for rebellion.
Every society is destined to fail. That is the cold truth of this.

Democracy, Freedom, and America would like to think they are invincible, but they will eventually be ripped down and turned into outdated thought processes.

And the amusing thing is, the concept of Freedom will most likely willingly fall to the next generation of society. All it takes is a savvy leader to convince liberals and conservatives alike to follow them and give up securities.

Sure, smaller countries tend to take things away by force, but Hitler rose to power for the most part due to his own strength of character and his genius manipulation of the human mind, and he managed to due so on the mistakes of so called Democratically free nations.

People are more than willing to give up freedom for security. Look at post-9/11 America. So many new rules and regulation to supposedly keep us safe, the patriot act, gitmo, etc. When people are scared, angry, etc they are easily manipulated by people who intend to do so.

Without this process you would not have civilization or religion; two things that are conveniently the reason for this conflict.

Expansion is important for the survival of all civilization
Expansion tends to be the shot in the foot for most civilizations. You can only flex and grow so big before your own foundations crumble under you.

Their inaction in a chaotic world will only cost more lives.
Inaction killed a woman in her house with a rocket. Action killed 400 civilians.

Inaction killed 3,000 on 9/11. Action killed 30,000+.

Inaction killed 11 million jews, while action killed millions of people fighting against and for Hitler

Not bringing in justifications, the action doesn't always outbalance inaction. Inaction eventually leads to an action when it is seen fit, but that doesn't mean there will be any less bloodshed on the action side.

Why do you think civilians die in wars? It happens all the time. Give them meaning. I do. People need to wakeup. Life is not Star Wars, and diplomacy is not always welcomed. Reality stinks. There is no starting over. There is no such thing as waving a white flag. There is no more room to expand. Isreal is right to protect itself and it's way of life.
Thats all well and good if it wasn't for the fact that it has little to do with why these people fight.

One side thinks it is absolutely right. The other side thinks its absolutely right. When you get people who think that land belongs to them by birthright, you will get factions who compete for it.

They kill each other not for Democracy and freedom. They kill each other over a book and the concept that a plot of dirt is worth killing and dying over. Not for Democracy. Not for Freedom. Because they think that their god has given them permission to do so.

The deaths of those civilians has a meaning. Irrationality. Its not a good meaning, but it is good enough to people who strap bombs to their chest and run into populated areas. Its good enough to a church that went into South America and converted the population by killing millions. Its good enough to a group of settlers that hung witches for cursing their neighbors.

These people could care less about your so called Democracy and Freedom.
Page: 2 of 5