Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Force Fashion 2

Page: 1 of 2
 jonathan7
12-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Ugh, I officially hate WIP threads, however I need criticism, thoughts especially on what I was considering for Mira. No set date for release (so don't ask), some elements of the mod are top secret. I'm delighted to announce that; I've tempted one of the best modders in the business to help (said modder can reveal themselves if they want) - this is a joint production between the two of us, and working with said individual is something I'm very excited about! =)

Anyway, on to business, for Mira I was considering a robe based on Barris Offee Jedi Robe;

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2507)

I'm not 100% happy with it, and I may scrap it all together, but what are people's thoughts?

And a few other robes for people to evaluate, and let me know what you think - veteran's comments would especially be welcome!

Luke ROTJ; Obi-Wan TPM, Mace Windu AOTC:

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2504)

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2505)

Malak's armour actually looking a bit like Malak's armour:

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2471)

Darth Maul and Qui-Gon:

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2508)

Thoughts, constructive criticism welcome!
 HK-42
12-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Looks great but some constructive critics: The Qui-Gon might need a little work on the inner robe the upper lines.
 Fredi
12-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Very nice.
 Ferc Kast
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Looks very good quality overall. (I especially like your new Malak's robe.) :) Although, your Luke RotJ robe looks a little blue on the inner robe. I could be mistaken, though.
 jonathan7
12-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Looks very good quality overall. (I especially like your new Malak's robe.) :) Although, your Luke RotJ robe looks a little blue on the inner robe. I could be mistaken, though.

Thanks :) Can, make Luke's darker, problem I think is sued exhibition photo's, so the material may well of faded in the 20 or so years - will look into rectifying it :)
 Star Admiral
12-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Man, that looks awesome. :thmbup1: Hats off to you for excellent texturing. I was hoping you'd do a version 2. So, when is going to be done? :xp:

Lemme see some criticisms. For Mira, maybe it's my monitor, but it is difficult to see the texture details on her chest. Perhaps you could lighten the black a bit to make it more visible? Otherwise, looks good.

Luke ROTJ; Obi-Wan TPM; Mace Windu AOTC; No complaints here.

Malak's armor: I've never really liked Obsidian's versions of the Zeison Sha armor. What's with the (for lack of a better word) skirt on the back? Doesn't make sense for guys, IMO. Going beyond that, the rest of it is well done, but the color doesn't sit well. The red armor paired with the dark green skirt is an odd combination.

Darth Maul and Qui-Gon; Darth Maul's one is perfect, probably going to be my next favorite. Qui-Gon's one, as HK-42 mentioned, especially for the guys, looks really flat on the chest, like there is no depth to the cloth. I'm far from an expert when it comes to this kind of work, but perhaps you could add some sort of shadow effect to the chest folds, make it look a little more 3D-ish.

Well, hope my little 2 cents worth of opinion was useful. I'm looking forward to this mod whenever it's released. (***prays it's not in 2010***) :)

- Star Admiral
 jonathan7
12-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Man, that looks awesome. :thmbup1: Hats off to you for excellent texturing. I was hoping you'd do a version 2. So, when is going to be done? :xp:

Lemme see some criticisms. For Mira, maybe it's my monitor, but it is difficult to see the texture details on her chest. Perhaps you could lighten the black a bit to make it more visible? Otherwise, looks good.

The texture is there, (though it may well be hard to see) - it's based of this;

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/a/a7/Barris_offee.jpg)

May drop the concept though.

Luke ROTJ; Obi-Wan TPM; Mace Windu AOTC; No complaints here.

Malak's armor: I've never really liked Obsidian's versions of the Zeison Sha armor. What's with the (for lack of a better word) skirt on the back? Doesn't make sense for guys, IMO. Going beyond that, the rest of it is well done, but the color doesn't sit well. The red armor paired with the dark green skirt is an odd combination.

I don't like the model myself, and don't use it, but wanted to put right the fact that Malak's armour looks nothing like Malak's armour ;) I'll look into changing the skirt bit to something else.

Darth Maul and Qui-Gon; Darth Maul's one is perfect, probably going to be my next favorite. Qui-Gon's one, as HK-42 mentioned, especially for the guys, looks really flat on the chest, like there is no depth to the cloth. I'm far from an expert when it comes to this kind of work, but perhaps you could add some sort of shadow effect to the chest folds, make it look a little more 3D-ish.

I'll look into Qui-Gon's I may scrap the whole tunic bit and start over, was being stubborn having worked on it for 2 hours :xp:

Well, hope my little 2 cents worth of opinion was useful.

It was :) Thanks for taking the time!
 Jae Onasi
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I told this to Jonathan in PM, but he suggested posting it here too. Mira's the kind of girl who likes to show some skin. I think even as a Jedi she wouldn't like being all covered up. Now, mind you, I'm not suggesting she be made into the street-walker type that her default clothes portray her as. However, I think as a Jedi she'd still make 'maximum utilization of her available resources.' ;P
 HK-42
12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I told this to Jonathan in PM, but he suggested posting it here too. Mira's the kind of girl who likes to show some skin. I think even as a Jedi she wouldn't like being all covered up. Now, mind you, I'm not suggesting she be made into the street-walker type that her default clothes portray her as. However, I think as a Jedi she'd still make 'maximum utilization of her available resources.' ;P

I agree, but I think you should keep the Barris Offee Robe(since its very good)
and make a different robe for Mira.
 Chevron 7 locke
12-28-2008, 1:23 AM
I love the robes. especally the little flaps in the front
 Salzella
12-28-2008, 8:35 AM
mmm, wasn't Luke's RotJ outfit black? And i think the Obi-Wan tPM outfit is a bit too white, i'm pretty sure it was more of a cream colour in the filmz.

and for the first robe, i think the texture is too low contrast, so at the moment it looks florid without one being able to appreciate the detail. Maybe some hue/saturation variation aswell? because at the moment it's... very green :xp:
 jonathan7
12-28-2008, 10:19 AM
mmm, wasn't Luke's RotJ outfit black? And i think the Obi-Wan tPM outfit is a bit too white, i'm pretty sure it was more of a cream colour in the filmz.

Well, Luke's robe is made of Star Wars Exhibition, high def photo's of Luke's actually garb (though I agree in film, it is a lot blacker, so will see what can be done). Obi-Wan's is taken from photo's from TPM - so I'd say it's correct :xp: (depends at what point in film, it starts off white, and gets creamier as it goes on).

and for the first robe, i think the texture is too low contrast, so at the moment it looks florid without one being able to appreciate the detail. Maybe some hue/saturation variation aswell? because at the moment it's... very green :xp:

The green is as Mira's colour scheme is that, think I may start again for Mira...
 DarthYuugi
12-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Hm....

Im not the biggest fan of mira's and the luke's robe

i like the darth maul and the qui-gon alot

the mace windus and obi wans are again things i like a lot and u shoudent change them

The malak one is not the best(not the skin itself i just never liked the jal shey model)

good work though im sure to dowload when you release :D
 jonathan7
12-28-2008, 4:15 PM
Ok, been tinkering;

Malak with a new cape thing, and Luke's tunic has been turned black - dunno how well the screenshot will come out for some of you, looks good in my game though :xp:

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2522)
 DarthYuugi
12-28-2008, 4:17 PM
Just Awsome

cant wait till you release :D
 Darth Payne
12-28-2008, 4:24 PM
Mira was Mandalorian, right?

Shouldn't there be a Mythosaur or something like that on the belt buckle?
 Ferc Kast
12-28-2008, 4:32 PM
Ok, been tinkering;

Malak with a new cape thing, and Luke's tunic has been turned black - dunno how well the screenshot will come out for some of you, looks good in my game though :xp:

Much better with Luke's tunic. :)
 jonathan7
12-28-2008, 5:48 PM
Been playing with Qui-Gon's tunic, what do people think??

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2525)
 HK-42
12-28-2008, 5:49 PM
Looks alot better now :)
 DarthYuugi
12-28-2008, 6:53 PM
Yeah looks better :D
 jonathan7
12-28-2008, 7:34 PM
Ok, here are a couple more.

I was considering giving Atton his own Maul version with a twist (his belt buckle + collar, and its a little less dark), seen here;

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2530)

Mical/Disciple's is here;

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2531)
 HK-42
12-28-2008, 7:40 PM
Looks Good, I like how you lightened up the Atton Version. Also Mical looks wierd in the 2nd one with his eyes shut.
 SpaceAlex
12-28-2008, 9:00 PM
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Mira's robe. The colors look sort of out of place... like something my grandma would wear. :p The background pattern that you used doesn't help either. Perhaps try to do something like this. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/SpaceAlex/Dump/K2_00001.jpg) (not my texture... I just tweaked it a bit), but use different colors and patterns.

The Qui-Gon Robe's lower collar needs more detail to give the illusion that this is a multi-layered robe. I also don't particularly like the black upper collar. I would've made it browner and the cape blacker. Other than that it's alright.

I like Malak's armor, but the chest plate and pants looks a bit out of place for some reason. Maybe it needs more red.

That's pretty much it for now. You're doing a good job, keep it up!
 Shem
12-28-2008, 11:16 PM
My biggest problem with that robe model is those awful looking boots. This is one of those times I want to get a hammer and hit the modeler from Obsidian repeatedly on their head until they get how awful it looks. Anyway, I would really like it if someone with good modeling skills to take it upon themselves to change the boots to more of the Jedi Master robe style. My other little gripe would be the flaps in the front of the robe. If someone could divide into two of them, that would be fantastic.

If the first part was done, I would be sold on this model style forever and if both things were done, I would totally be loving it! :D
 Xarwarz
12-29-2008, 3:59 AM
Look like its coming along nicely
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 8:20 AM
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Mira's robe. The colors look sort of out of place... like something my grandma would wear. :p The background pattern that you used doesn't help either. Perhaps try to do something like this. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/SpaceAlex/Dump/K2_00001.jpg) (not my texture... I just tweaked it a bit), but use different colors and patterns.

The Qui-Gon Robe's lower collar needs more detail to give the illusion that this is a multi-layered robe. I also don't particularly like the black upper collar. I would've made it browner and the cape blacker. Other than that it's alright.

I like Malak's armor, but the chest plate and pants looks a bit out of place for some reason. Maybe it needs more red.

That's pretty much it for now. You're doing a good job, keep it up!

I'm on it :xp: TBH with Qui-Gon, I don't want the black bit there at all, as with his robe it should be skin, unfortunately, the only real time I can put skin on a character is if I know the colour they will be, but will change it to a browney colour.

My biggest problem with that robe model is those awful looking boots. This is one of those times I want to get a hammer and hit the modeler from Obsidian repeatedly on their head until they get how awful it looks. Anyway, I would really like it if someone with good modeling skills to take it upon themselves to change the boots to more of the Jedi Master robe style. My other little gripe would be the flaps in the front of the robe. If someone could divide into two of them, that would be fantastic.

If the first part was done, I would be sold on this model style forever and if both things were done, I would totally be loving it! :D

I agree, but only being a skinner that's beyond me :xp: The belt on the male model could be doing with made flatter as well - the belts always do wonderfully on the female model, but no matter how much tinkering the belts always look a little off. I still think the Padawan is the best of all the various Robes in K1 and K2.
 Salzella
12-29-2008, 8:39 AM
i like the new ones a lot - but i'm certain Luke's cloak was black aswell :xp: nice job(s).

for Mira's robe, i think perhaps some artistic license should be taken with how the collar works. It looks rather strange at the moment, with the band across the top, so perhaps having just the robe using the texture would work better? the green also looks a bit odd next to the purple of the tunic texture.

oh, and for the boots could you not put a leathery texture on them, à la stoffe's Twi'lek jedi mod? improves it no end imo, at least for the ladeez.
 DarthYuugi
12-29-2008, 9:48 AM
Wow these look excellent

i like the discples one as well

and shem i never noticed the boots and now you've gotten it in my head so every time i play im just staring at them :D
 Shem
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree, but only being a skinner that's beyond me :xp: The belt on the male model could be doing with made flatter as well - the belts always do wonderfully on the female model, but no matter how much tinkering the belts always look a little off. I still think the Padawan is the best of all the various Robes in K1 and K2.I was hoping that my words could either inspire "you" to recruit a modeler or a modeler who is inspired by your work would read it and want to do it. :xp:
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 1:40 PM
Having taken Space Alex's thoughts, here is the latest Qui-Gon screen;

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2534)
 Canderis
12-29-2008, 1:44 PM
I cant wait for this mod! I loved the first one (first thing into my override each playthrough)
 DarthYuugi
12-29-2008, 3:23 PM
Again the Qui-Gon one looks better

Good job J7 :D
 SpaceAlex
12-29-2008, 4:01 PM
Definitely looks better now. Almost looks like a real cloth. :D I would use a different color for the collar (buff maybe... yeah, I like everything in similar color :D), but that's a matter of opinion.
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 7:53 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Here's Mira's custom robe started from scratch...

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2537)
 Chevron 7 locke
12-29-2008, 7:57 PM
That robe is beautiful! I love how it sorta looks like her jacket. I'm not to sure about the mando thing on her belt though...it just doesn't look like something she would wear
 jrrtoken
12-29-2008, 7:59 PM
Hm... what if you were to create a robe for Atton that was similar to his ribbed jacket. For example, keeping the leather pauldrons or his jacket, but extending the lowest layer into full sleeves.
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 8:00 PM
That robe is beautiful! I love how it sorta looks like her jacket. I'm not to sure about the mando thing on her belt though...it just doesn't look like something she would wear

Well;

Mira was Mandalorian, right?

Shouldn't there be a Mythosaur or something like that on the belt buckle?

Can't Satisfy everyone :xp: - Mira was Mandalorian though ;)

Hm... what if you were to create a robe for Atton that was similar to his ribbed jacket. For example, keeping the leather pauldrons or his jacket, but extending the lowest layer into full sleeves.

I'll re-look into it, didn't think it was dooable looking at his skin first time round tho....
 Druganator
12-29-2008, 8:11 PM
Mira wasn't exactly Mandalorian. She and her family were taken by the mandalorians as slaves.
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 8:17 PM
Mira wasn't exactly Mandalorian. She and her family were taken by the mandalorians as slaves.

Partially right... As Mandalorians raided worlds on the Outer Rim during the Mandalorian Wars, Mira was taken in as a slave when her home was sacked. Mira was raised by the Mandalorians from a young age but they later accepted her into a Mandalorian squad, and she was taught how to fight, hunt, and survive like a Mandalorian, and was treated as a part of the unit. However, at the age of fourteen, the Battle of Malachor V erupted. Mira lost her adopted family when the Mass Shadow Generator activated.

:xp:
 Darth Payne
12-29-2008, 8:20 PM
Whoa, now that is a very cool robe for Mira.

Excellent work as always J7.
 redrob41
12-29-2008, 9:28 PM
I think that your first Mira robe (based on Barriss Offee), was problematic because of the high saturation of the green contrasting with the very dark tunic. I had to turn my screen's brightness & contrast up to 100% to see the detail, but then her skin was glowing :xp:. The original Barriss robe works so well because the cloak is a low saturated blue/black and the tunic is a low saturated purplish blue. The green and purple aren't analogous enough. Also, the loincloth is even brighter, and is surrounded by that ebon void of her tunic. I think that you could easily make your version of the robe work if you increase the contrast (I'd use the Levels function to bring out the detail) of the tunic, and match the hue and saturation of the source image for the cloak. Please don't give up on it :)

The newer Mira robe does look more in-tune with her personality. It still needs some work around the neck (she wears a choker, not a dangling chain right?) but you probably already know that. As for the mythosaur, perhaps if it was embossed into the leather instead of a metal accent, it would be authentic without being obvious. The only other problem I can see is that the base model isn't designed for cleavage (the sternum isn't recessed like it should be). What if you tried to do some kind of sheer or partially transparent material? The other option is to re-touch the model, and either way, it'll be a lot more work.

That Zeison Sha armour model is just problematic all around isn't it. It looks to me that it isn't quite the same body proportions as the jedi robes (kinda shorter and stockier). Not much you can do about that though :xp:. What you could do, is to make the Malak chest plate larger (cover the whole pectoral muscle), and add that strip down middle of his armour (from neck to belt it, was kinda like a zipper).

Most of your other robes are looking great, and you've already addressed some of the problems, so I don't have much to add for them. The folds on the Disciple's white tunic have some strange overlapping going on.

I hope all this helps :)
 jonathan7
12-29-2008, 9:46 PM
I think that your first Mira robe (based on Barriss Offee), was problematic because of the high saturation of the green contrasting with the very dark tunic. I had to turn my screen's brightness & contrast up to 100% to see the detail, but then her skin was glowing :xp:. The original Barriss robe works so well because the cloak is a low saturated blue/black and the tunic is a low saturated purplish blue. The green and purple aren't analogous enough. Also, the loincloth is even brighter, and is surrounded by that ebon void of her tunic. I think that you could easily make your version of the robe work if you increase the contrast (I'd use the Levels function to bring out the detail) of the tunic, and match the hue and saturation of the source image for the cloak. Please don't give up on it :)

I'll come back to the Barriss Offee one, I think you have more of an eye for colour than me :xp:

The newer Mira robe does look more in-tune with her personality. It still needs some work around the neck (she wears a choker, not a dangling chain right?) but you probably already know that. As for the mythosaur, perhaps if it was embossed into the leather instead of a metal accent, it would be authentic without being obvious. The only other problem I can see is that the base model isn't designed for cleavage (the sternum isn't recessed like it should be). What if you tried to do some kind of sheer or partially transparent material? The other option is to re-touch the model, and either way, it'll be a lot more work.

I need to have more of a play with the neck (originally I was going to have no neck tie thing, but have skin for the neck, but after 4 hours of trying gave up), may have to leave her choker TBH, and just take it off totally, I did have it further up, but the model does funny things with it. I'll emboss the mythosaur into the leather, though with regards the cleavage, I don't think there is much else I can do - the limitations of the model don't show up to badly (though of course, men may concentrate on the area ;)) so I'm tempted to leave it as I'm a little sick of Mira's robe now! :p

That Zeison Sha armour model is just problematic all around isn't it.

Yup, never use it myself, but wanted Malak's armour to actually look like Malak's armour.

It looks to me that it isn't quite the same body proportions as the jedi robes (kinda shorter and stockier). Not much you can do about that though :xp:. What you could do, is to make the Malak chest plate larger (cover the whole pectoral muscle), and add that strip down middle of his armour (from neck to belt it, was kinda like a zipper).

Funnily enough, I did stick that on, but for some reason the model chewed half of it up and it doesn't appear, will have more of a play.

Most of your other robes are looking great, and you've already addressed some of the problems, so I don't have much to add for them. The folds on the Disciple's white tunic have some strange overlapping going on.

Aye, I've now turned his leggings into his usual ones as far as possible and turned the boots black. I'll hava look at Disciple's tunic, blame the original skinner - I just copied his clothing texture across for the texture :xp:

I hope all this helps :)

Indeed, thanks for taking the time to tell me your thoughts :)
 SpaceAlex
12-30-2008, 5:32 AM
Mira's robe is looking much better. Other than the texture around her neck, I think it looks great. I think you should replace that texture with something darker and with more depth - like maybe something similar to what I've used for the yellow and pink Twi'leks here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/SpaceAlex/NPC%20Modification%20Pack/Twileks_Female.jpg). It's worth a try... I think. :D
 DarthYuugi
12-30-2008, 6:19 AM
Yes i like the robe for her

never bin it keep that as part of the release :D
 jonathan7
12-30-2008, 3:18 PM
Well, been working on Nomi Sunrider's robe....

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2540)
 Salzella
12-30-2008, 3:49 PM
mmm, cool again, but the green is a bit too aqua i feel, and i think from an aesthetic point of view, as opposed to going for 100% realism, the areas either side of the central loin-clothy area should be the same colour as the leggings. not sure how good that would look mind.
 DarthYuugi
12-30-2008, 4:23 PM
@ J7

Darken the green and make the collar and the patterns brown :D
 Quanon
12-30-2008, 6:39 PM
Well, been working on Nomi Sunrider's robe....

Great stuff J7, I just love the smell of quality ! This thing just bathes in it :p
Delicious ! Fabulous !

Though, yes.. critics for me :lol:

The Nomi robes are rather "flat", you'll need to add some shadows/ contrast to define the folds of the cloth.

But you'll sort it out no doubt ;)

Woooott
 jonathan7
12-31-2008, 5:46 AM
Great stuff J7, I just love the smell of quality ! This thing just bathes in it :p
Delicious ! Fabulous !

Though, yes.. critics for me :lol:

The Nomi robes are rather "flat", you'll need to add some shadows/ contrast to define the folds of the cloth.

But you'll sort it out no doubt ;)

Woooott

Thanks Q; I'm not at all happy with Nomi's robe atm, gonna have a major play with it, as well as doing a lot of the touch ups suggested here.

Here's the current WIP...

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=146&pictureid=2554)
 DarthYuugi
12-31-2008, 8:39 AM
Looks Good J7 :)
Page: 1 of 2