Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anybody played AVS yet?

Page: 2 of 2
 Ascovel
11-29-2008, 5:14 PM
I have the option to choose German voices in my version. At least the installer claims so, but I didn't try it.
 Sven_Q45
11-29-2008, 5:21 PM
Well, ok.
But I meant actually the German version from Amazon. Yes you can choose the German voice but I didn´t know you can do that also in the English version.
 Ascovel
11-29-2008, 5:45 PM
You can read our review of the game here (http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/read.php?article=avampyrestory).

It will be interesting to see what other people have to say about A Vampyre Story. The general reaction seems to be pretty positive, though!

Thanks for the review. A really good read. Mixnmojo seems to have its own, complex relationship with every (important) game it reviews. ;)

My own review should be out soon. ("Soon" as "not today" and "probably not tommorow", but soon :D ).
 TheJoe
11-30-2008, 6:29 AM
Didn't work for me, oh well, that'll teach me to be a dirty pirate.
 Kroms
11-30-2008, 6:23 PM
Didn't work for me, oh well, that'll teach me to be a dirty pirate.
I've never been able to understand why someone would pirate from a company as small as Autumn Moon.
 Ascovel
11-30-2008, 9:54 PM
I've posted my own review on Adventure Classic Gaming:

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/434/)
 TheJoe
12-01-2008, 1:35 PM
I've never been able to understand why someone would pirate from a company as small as Autumn Moon.

Because Sony killed my DVD drive, so buying games is pointless because until publishers start publishing games on USB or SD card I can't install anything.

The irony is that Sony killed my DVD drive to prevent me from pirating, they fail.
 Ascovel
12-01-2008, 2:29 PM
Buying is not pointless. You can buy an original game, then install a pirated version, and after you finish playing you can sell the box in mint condition on ebay.
 s-island
12-01-2008, 2:53 PM
 neon_git
12-01-2008, 2:59 PM
So buy the download version from Gamers Gate (http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=DD-AVS&via=newly_added) which has been mentioned numerous times on mojo.

Pirating AVS makes you a colossal prick, there are no excuses.
 diduz
12-01-2008, 6:25 PM
Another negative Mata Hari review:

http://www.adventurecorner.de/reviews.php?id=142)

Logic gaps in story, ultra-easy puzzles, too much emphasis on minigames.
Good graphics, decent sound.
:(
 Ascovel
12-01-2008, 8:14 PM
Another negative Mata Hari review:

http://www.adventurecorner.de/reviews.php?id=142)

Logic gaps in story, ultra-easy puzzles, too much emphasis on minigames.
Good graphics, decent sound.
:(

It's still a much more positive review than than the previous one.

The great emphasis on mini-games was to be expected.
 Gabez
12-02-2008, 3:10 AM
Pirating AVS makes you a colossal prick, there are no excuses.Quote of the year! High five!
 diduz
12-02-2008, 6:27 AM
The great emphasis on mini-games was to be expected.

I see what you mean: Hal Barwood, anyone? ;)
 TheJoe
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
So buy the download version from Gamers Gate (http://www.gamersgate.com/index.php?page=product&what=view&sku=DD-AVS&via=newly_added) which has been mentioned numerous times on mojo.

Pirating AVS makes you a colossal prick, there are no excuses.

It'll be DRM'd "/
 Sven_Q45
12-02-2008, 11:52 AM
No problem. You can skip all minigames.
 neon_git
12-02-2008, 11:55 AM
It's very simple: if you don't want the product because of the DRM or whatever other reason ... don't buy it!

Just because it has DRM doesn't make you entitled to a free copy. Stop trying to justify yourself, what you did was wrong and you know it. Man up and buy a copy.
 Ascovel
12-02-2008, 1:47 PM
No problem. You can skip all minigames.

You, mean you can skip the entire game right to the ending cut scene? ;) How cool is that!
 TheJoe
12-02-2008, 2:02 PM
It's very simple: if you don't want the product because of the DRM or whatever other reason ... don't buy it!

Just because it has DRM doesn't make you entitled to a free copy. Stop trying to justify yourself, what you did was wrong and you know it. Man up and buy a copy.

It goes like this:
Bought EA-made/published games, each protected by SecuROM.
Installed a few Sims 2 Expansions.
DVD drive ceased to function.
Sony Support acuses me of Piracy, refuses to replace my CD drive
Replacement CD drive turns out to be impossible due to the way this PC is built
Bought new game, tried to install, failed, money back not given due to open packaging
Piracy of SecuROM-enabled games begins in protest of Sony because of their stupidity
New PC not possible because believe it or not you need money for this sort of thing, something I don't have a lot of and need for other things, such as food which I need to survive. Buying a new PC is not a priority.

I also, would never, ever purchase ANYTHING that is not guaranteed to be DRM-free. Because of this I'm against many things such as Steam, Direct2Drive, iTunes and a lot more. Think of it as vegetarianism or religion, people have thier own values and should be allowed uphold them.

And if it helps, I immediately removed AVS after discovering it didn't work, I would also not condone piracy because I'm not a fan of it. I only download games/software that:
A) I have bought but have uninstalled and cannot reinstall either because of damaged media or this Sony-killed DVD drive
B) Are no longer commercially avaliable
C) Have Open Source components (as I believe that something should not be part-Open Source)
D) Made by EA or "protected" with SecuROM or Starforce
E) Is totally and completely ridiculously licensed or poorly made and undeserving of my money

There, I made my point and decresed the popularity of MI2SP by 20 points.

And of course, scolding me for being a pirate is probably completely hypocritcial because I GUARANTEE you have downloaded music illegally. Think of those bands that have lost money because you downloaded their music.

[/offtopic]
 neon_git
12-02-2008, 4:01 PM
OK this is the last I'll say on the matter:

First thing is I shouldn't have been so confrontation and I'm sorry (Believe it or not I actually toned down both posts).

Second nobody (I hope) will think any less of your project, that is totally separate from his debate.

Look, we share a lot of common ground. I'm a FOSS advocate myself and I'm also a fan of Larry Lessig and the CC movement. I agree that DRM sucks big hairy balls and have had to crack legitimately purchased games to get them to run on my chosen OS. I know where you're coming from and I do feel bad that your hardware got dicked over by Sony.

But the point I've been trying unsuccessfully to make is that none of that entitles you to abdicate responsibility for your actions. Your philosophy on software advocates freedom but only if it's your kind of freedom. If Bill Tiller wants to release his software as closed source why shouldn't he be able to? Why should you be able to disrespect his choice because it doesn't fit with your views?

For the record AVS (or at least the demo) uses Panda3d (http://www.panda3d.org/), which is open source, so you can buy with a clear conscience.

So ... we cool?
 Sven_Q45
12-02-2008, 4:32 PM
@neon_git
Yes I think it´s not so good.
But most of all I don´t can confirm reviews! I play adventures because of the entertainment! :)
 counting_pine
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I also, would never, ever purchase ANYTHING that is not guaranteed to be DRM-free. Because of this I'm against many things such as Steam, Direct2Drive, iTunes and a lot more. Think of it as vegetarianism or religion, people have thier own values and should be allowed uphold them.Sorry to bump in here, but I have to side with neon_git on this.
I imagine there are a lot of vegetarians who refuse to buy meat, but they won't then sneak into a field, steal a cow, and kill and eat it themselves.

I'm sorry to hear of your dealings with Sony and EA, and yeah, DRM like that sucks, but you shouldn't be taking it out on a smaller company like Autumn Moon.

Point A) I think is fair enough, since you deserve to be able to use software you've paid for, but I disagree with the other points:

B) If a company stops trading in older software, that can be tough, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to do what you want with it. If I wrote a game, and for whatever reason I only made a few copies available, or didn't release it to the public at all, that wouldn't give you any right to it.
In this case, it also reduces the potential market for the software, and would lessen the chances of a successful re-release in future, meaning it's less likely to see a re-release at all.

C) If an open-source project allows linking to commercial or closed-source projects, that's their business. If Panda3D is seen as suitable for use in commercial software, then that's great. Buying the product is also a great way to show your support for both.

D) A better action here would be boycotting the product. Illegally downloading a game isn't going to make them less inclined to stop using DRM. If you want to make a point, hurt them in ways they can't defend against at all - don't buy it! Companies can't install measures to prevent people from not buying their games.
Think back to events like the Montgomery Bus Boycott - it lasted over a year, and the inconvenience and persecution was much more serious there, but they still managed to secure the victory they were after, and it turned out to be a significant milestone in the Civil Rights movement.

E) Even if product's undeserving of your money, but if you don't pay for it, then you don't deserve to use it. If it's poorly made, then that's just less of a reason to download a copy.

[/offtopic]
Anyway, I'd really like to see AVS succeed, and I hope we get to see bigger and better things coming from Mr Tiller in the years to come...

Unfortunately, my PC doesn't seem to be up to the task of running AVS. I'll try messing about with my graphics drivers, but I'm not hopeful...
Anyone knows if it needs pixel/vertex shader or anything like that? If so, I can safely give up now...
 tk102
12-03-2008, 1:15 PM
Amazon.com just delayed my order for AVS again! :(
We wanted to let you know that there is an unexpected delay with your video game order you placed on October 23 2008

"A Vampyre Story [CD-ROM]" [CD-ROM]
Estimated arrival date: 01/09/2009 - 01/26/2009
 Udvarnoky
12-03-2008, 4:44 PM
I also, would never, ever purchase ANYTHING that is not guaranteed to be DRM-free. Because of this I'm against many things such as Steam, Direct2Drive, iTunes and a lot more. Think of it as vegetarianism or religion, people have thier own values and should be allowed uphold them.

You are aware that everyone hates vegetarians, right?
 Haggis
12-03-2008, 4:51 PM
You are aware that everyone hates vegetarians, right?
You don't love me anymore. :(
 neon_git
12-03-2008, 5:52 PM
Amazon.com just delayed my order for AVS again! :(

:( That sucks dude. I wonder what's causing the hold up, is it manufacturing problems or something?
 The Tingler
12-03-2008, 7:05 PM
Where do you live tk102?
 tk102
12-03-2008, 7:14 PM
I haven't heard any information about the cause of the delay.

Product page. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001F0J70I/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

Supply and demand I guess. :)

@Tingler: west coast of U.S.A.
 DeadKyle
12-04-2008, 4:14 AM
So I know the system requirements say Windows xp/vista but I'm still running 2000, any idea if it'll work in 2000? I've noticed quite a few things that say xp/vista only actually do work in 2000 and others don't. I know the new versions of Adobe Flash, Photoshop, and After Effects wont even install without xp or higher, other things like some games let me know I'm running on dino bones and **** will probably be messed up but don't complain, we told you so. Steam and valve games are like this.

Anyone know? I haven't searched for an answer to this on the net, I thought I'd ask the smart people here first.

Also, anyone know if/when the 60's Batman TV show is coming to DVD?
 The Tingler
12-04-2008, 6:00 AM
Off-topic (but then so is a lot of this thread!), but the 60s Batman show on DVD isn't planned yet. I think there's rights issues.
 Gabez
12-04-2008, 6:36 AM
Off-topic is good. It's called shooting the ****.
 s-island
12-04-2008, 3:18 PM
Also, anyone know if/when the 60's Batman TV show is coming to DVD?Nope. Fox owns the series, Warner owns the rights to the character.

It seems like we can only shoot stars on here. :(
 The Tingler
12-04-2008, 6:45 PM
Yeah, I thought there were rights issues.

Has anyone got any wallpapers for AVS? Y'know, something sweet for a desktop background?
 Bagge
12-04-2008, 9:13 PM
 Gabez
12-05-2008, 3:42 AM
That would make an awesome wallpaper, though it's a bit small for my resolution.

(Welcome to the forums, Bagge! Hope you stick around!)
 hygge
12-06-2008, 4:30 PM
First post on this forum, and it's good to see there's a proper AVS forum after the one on the AME site died. Anyone knows what's up with the AME website? It's a pity they don't update it any more, as it seems a bit of a missed marketing opportunity to me!

Anyway, what I was replying to:

There was no big problem for me. :) (cut) On one point Mona speeking english in the german version.

Well, I didn't play the German version, but in the English version Froderick at on point uses Mona's line, and then replies as Froderick again. Very strange! :P.

There's a few glitches in the game but it didn't spoil it for me. I've loved every minute of it :). I hadn't even noticed the stadium entry was a glitch.

when I gave the ID card to woman of low moral fiber I was simply transported past the ticket guy, something which puzzled me a little at the time! I haven't gotten access through the back door. Need to play it again I guess. I did have a glitch with the garlic the first time, as when I tried using the boomerang it didn't work with it. Finding the key was the last puzzle for me as I hadn't gotten the horse (but I had everything else).

I thought it was a pity that the demo was one of the final puzzles, as it gave a bit too much away of what was going to happen for me. But hey, maybe I should've been patient and not even played the demo ;)

All in all, a fantastic game and I'm looking forward to number 2!

Ta,
Jacob
 Haggis
12-06-2008, 4:47 PM
First post on this forum, and it's good to see there's a proper AVS forum after the one on the AME site died. Anyone knows what's up with the AME website? It's a pity they don't update it any more, as it seems a bit of a missed marketing opportunity to me!
The AME site isn't really updated, but this one (http://www.vampyrestory-game.com/), which is run by Crimson Cow, is (unfortunately, the German-language news section of the site is updated far more often than the English one).
 hygge
12-06-2008, 6:01 PM
I do visit the AVS site, and do visit the German site as well (I'm glad I know some German :)). They're good sites, but it would be nice to see the main site as well - somehow, I got to know amegames.com quite a few years back. I think they'd just gone live when I had first played "Curse of Monkey Island", and was looking if those cool folks had done any other (new) stuff.

As a (web) designer, I would love to do work with / for them. I think it could be a really cool site, and a while back I think Bill mentioned that they were looking into redoing the original site. But they might have different priorities at the moment though. If you read this Bill, just give me a call! :D
 Sven_Q45
12-06-2008, 9:24 PM
Well, I didn't play the German version, but in the English version Froderick at on point uses Mona's line, and then replies as Froderick again. Very strange! :P.
Lol. in the German version of Dott Zed Edison (in the future) says one line of Laverne. :D

I didnґt play the English version of AVS yet. But I know the voices. Because of the German show Giga. They played a beta version of AVS for the public before the release.
And the German voice of Mona is better.
Page: 2 of 2