Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Are you a console or a PC gamer?

Page: 1 of 2
 Rogue Nine
06-23-2008, 8:57 PM
Gaming is obviously a big part of why we're here, so it's not a bad question ask if more people are console or PC gamers. Things are particularly interesting with the release of the Force Unleashed only on consoles, leaving poor PC users out in the cold.

Sound off!
 M@RS
06-23-2008, 9:37 PM
I voted for PC all of the way :)
 Writer
06-23-2008, 9:54 PM
Seeing as all I have is a PC...
 Master_Archon
06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Mom always told me to try and have a healthy, balanced diet. :D
 Commander Obi-Wan
06-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Generally, I am a console gamer. I used to play PC, but there are really no games that a want enough on the PC, that aren't on the Xbox 360 already. I really only play older Star Wars games on the PC, since most of them are only on the PC.
 Jeff
06-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Traditionally I would consider myself a PC gamer (even though I've always had both a console and PC) but more recently with the Wii I would say I'm even between the two. Though WoW definitely takes up the most time. :D
 Prime
06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
A bit of both for me. I would prefer to be PC only, but alas I must face reality. I currently only have an old XBox though...
 Sivy
06-24-2008, 10:55 AM
i used to play on both, mainly PC. now it's mostly console. i finally got tired of having to upgrade my pc every time a new game came out, and then having to wait for a patch or two before it worked properly. the games industry nowadays is more focused on console games, and it's only going to get more so.
 FoolInTheWave
06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I have been interested in PC gaming over the past year due to mods for all of my favorite games. That's what made me buy a new PC in the first place. But I do have to say I like playing my Wii and am looking to get an Xbox 360 by the end of the summer. Its just that PC gaming can get expensive due to upgrades, so I want to get into console gaming again to save me some money.
 tk102
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
A bit of both for me. I would prefer to be PC only, but alas I must face reality.

No, you really don't. :)

The PC will (must) always be fertile grounds for development.

Thanks for the poll Niner!
 Rev7
06-24-2008, 1:11 PM
I wish that I had more games for the PC, but I don't. I use the consoles mainly because that is all that I have to use.
 EnderWiggin
06-24-2008, 3:00 PM
A bit of both for me. I would prefer to be PC only, but alas I must face reality. I currently only have an old XBox though...

Pure-blooded PC gaming for me - I'd much rather upgrade my vid card and ram than buy a console. The PC has so many more uses.

Agreed. Good poll.

_EW_
 Boba Rhett
06-24-2008, 5:45 PM
I certainly agree with you, a PC does have many more uses. However when I go to purchase, lets say a toaster, I'm going to pick out a toaster based on its toasting merits and not on whether it can also function as a blender and coffee grinder.

Likewise, if I want to play a game and I have a choice between PC or console, I'm going to usually go with the console option. I know I'm only spending a few hundred to be completely up and running, I know my game is going to work, my hardware is specifically made to run my games and I most likely won't have to patch anything. These points are worth a lot to me as I hate having to worry about system incompatibility issues for reason(s) 1, 2, 3 etc. and wondering if I need to upgrade every few months so I can run game X when it comes out next November.

At the same time, PC gaming is needed to drive forward the bleeding edge of hardware and software developments and there certainly are games that just play better with a mouse and keyboard. There's also the whole modding community to take into account which is definitely worth something. We're going to start to see a lot more mod functionality in the next batch of consoles though, so that major plus for pc gaming is waning.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-24-2008, 7:32 PM
At the same time, PC gaming is needed to drive forward the bleeding edge of hardware and software developments and there certainly are games that just play better with a mouse and keyboard. There's also the whole modding community to take into account which is definitely worth something. We're going to start to see a lot more mod functionality in the next batch of consoles though, so that major plus for pc gaming is waning.I vote Microsoft charges $19.99 a month to mod.
 tk102
06-24-2008, 9:28 PM
I certainly agree with you, a PC does have many more uses. However when I go to purchase, lets say a toaster, I'm going to pick out a toaster based on its toasting merits and not on whether it can also function as a blender and coffee grinder.
Not a fair analogy. When you buy a toaster, you are buying appliance that was built for one purpose only. When you buy a computer, you have the choice of how it will be used. Will you use it only for email and internet? As an entertainment center? Home automation? A programming station? A server? Or maybe a gaming console? The choice is yours. In fact you can change your mind later if you like. Best you can do with a toaster is take it back for a refund if you decide you like coffee instead of toast for breakfast.

Likewise, if I want to play a game and I have a choice between PC or console, I'm going to usually go with the console option. I know I'm only spending a few hundred to be completely up and running, I know my game is going to work, my hardware is specifically made to run my games and I most likely won't have to patch anything. These points are worth a lot to me as I hate having to worry about system incompatibility issues for reason(s) 1, 2, 3 etc. and wondering if I need to upgrade every few months so I can run game X when it comes out next November.That's a fair argument, but now you have to choose which console you're going to buy. Games made for one console don't play well on others. So while a PC gamer may have to upgrade her video card in order to play game X, a console gamer face a situation where you have buy another console altogether. Plus my video card can be used for Photoshop, video editing, as well as other high-end games.

At the same time, PC gaming is needed to drive forward the bleeding edge of hardware and software developments and there certainly are games that just play better with a mouse and keyboard......including many retro games that have yet to be ported to consoles.

There's also the whole modding community to take into account which is definitely worth something. We're going to start to see a lot more mod functionality in the next batch of consoles though, so that major plus for pc gaming is waning.

I certainly do hope so. Of course, the modding tools will have to be developed on a PC. ;) If we could see a rise of user-generated content coming from the consoles, it would make a big difference to me. As it is, giving into console-only gaming seems like pure consumerism. Pure reward with no struggle cheapens the thrill. And the fact that you must depend solely on the supplier for the entertainment (and patches) is not appealing.

What other things will give up for simple one-trick-pony appliances? How about an internet appliance? I'm sure Microsoft would be happy to redirect all your HTTP requests through its servers. It would also make it so much easier for governments to one-stop-shop for information on its citizenry. But I digresss... :)

I vote Microsoft charges $19.99 a month to mod.So cynical yet so compelling. :)
 Darth333
06-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Thank you for reminding me to undust ( litterally speaking) my console! (I tend to forget I have one unless there's a poll like this one :p )

PC for me. Console is good for the big TV, the couch and the potato chips. I bought an xbox 360 several years ago but after 2-3 days it became a permanent dust collector (I don't have a big TV as 99% of the shows bore me and I rarely eat chips).

PC not only has many more uses but it gives much more freedom when gaming: don't like something? Just change it. Tired of getting your "posterior" kicked by the big bad boss before you can move out to the next level after a stressful day at work? You can turn him into a harmless little mosquito that you can kill with a fly swatter. You hit an annoying bug like the +-200 hour bug in Oblivion? You can restart the game if you're on console or fix it in about 30 seconds on the PC. Also, with a decent system, things just look better than on a console.

I never had any compatibility issue with the PC. I don't necessarily get the latest components (I never get the extreme stuff as it is just a waste of money) but keeping my system squeaky clean helps a lot.
 stingerhs
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
well, i play on both because of the games that are available for both systems. obviously, there are exclusives to the console world (a la Force Unleashed and Forza), but there are also a few exclusives to the PC market as well ( a la Crysis). aside from that, though, there are also some games that play better on a console than a PC and visa versa which is also a factor in which system i game on.

currently, i've been using an Xbox 360 on my new 24" monitor, and it works just fine for what i've been playing. however, i'll also get on my computer and to stretch its capabilities in games like Crysis and World in Conflict.

in my mind, the strengths of both systems ensure that most gamers will benefit from owning both a nice PC and a console. if i had to pick one over the other, though, i'd have to go for the multifunctionality of a PC over a console. it may not be the best gaming platform in every situation, but since it lets me do so much other things, i'd have to pick it.
 MacTavish
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I use both. I just have different preferences for the two. Some games I enjoy playing with a controller while others (like KotOR) I prefer to play with a keyboard and mouse.
 jawathehutt
06-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I would say around 90% of my gaming time goes to my PC and maybe 10% to me wii, hopefully thatll change when I get some more games other than wii sports
 Titanius Anglesmith
06-25-2008, 2:15 AM
I've been a 100% PC gamer since the days of my SNES, though since I just got a PS3, I'm starting to strike a bit more of a balance.
 Pho3nix
06-25-2008, 6:48 AM
Both, though I've always been primarily a PC gamer.
 Soogz
06-25-2008, 8:52 AM
I like to switch it up between the two. Some games are generally better for PC, and some games are better for the console.
 txa1265
06-25-2008, 9:31 AM
I voted PC, because the Wii is really the kid's. There was no 'handheld' option, which simply illustrates your personal prejudice :D I probably split about 50% PC, 30% DS, 20% PSP at this point.
 TripHammer
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
PC all the way...
 mimartin
06-25-2008, 1:14 PM
Both - own PSP and a 360. If there is a game I want to play I purchase whatever is needed to play it. Bought the 360 and a HDTV for Mass Effect.
 Serpentine Cougar
06-25-2008, 4:27 PM
I'm a "both" gamer, because I go where the games are. Consoles are nice 'cuz you don't have to worry about upgrading much, but PCs are nice 'cuz you can use them for so much else as well. And calling yourself a "PC gamer" sounds more hardcore. It should also be mentioned that you can hook up a USB controller to your PC if you prefer that kind of feel over mouse/keyboard. Really, I'd be a PC gamer if there weren't as many good console exclusives.
 Jedil3thal
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Im both :D
 EnderWiggin
06-25-2008, 11:02 PM

Oh, I see.

That's why the iPhone didn't sell well?

_EW_
 Boba Rhett
06-26-2008, 3:04 AM
*scanning post for any possible relevancy*
 leXX
06-26-2008, 5:26 AM
I'm both. Being the old fogie that I am, I started off on consoles with Pong then the ZX Spectrum, Commodor 64, Sega Master System etc etc. I've owned just about every important gaming console there is, and I currently own all 3 next gen. When we got a PC (I dunno about 10 years ago?) I played on that mainly, with games like Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Half-Life. The PC does have the advantage of the awesome modding community, but the consoles have the advantage of not having to be upgraded and no installation process. I've always divided my time between both consoles and PC's, and that's exactly the way I like it.
 Sivy
06-26-2008, 5:49 AM
the iphone didn’t sell because most people couldn’t justify spending that much money on a phone, regardless of it’s many extra features... so i suppose there's a slight relevance
 Diego Varen
06-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Both, although I'm on my computer more nowadays.
 RoxStar
06-27-2008, 2:22 PM
I've been a 100% PC gamer since the days of my SNES, though since I just got a PS3, I'm starting to strike a bit more of a balance.

SNES to PS3 is quite the leap in graphics.
 Da_man
06-28-2008, 8:02 PM
I strike a balance. I use my PC to play games most of the time, and my 360 to play online, though not all that much.
 TriggerGod
06-28-2008, 8:23 PM
I play online games on my PC, and other games on my Wii/XBox/PS2. I find that games I have on all of them are fun
PC: ... KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords (Don't have many other games for it anyways)

XBox: ... Tough... Either KOTOR 1 or Fable: The Lost Chapters

PS2: Rock Band. Only game I really have since we got it earlier in the year...

Wii: Either Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, or Guitar Hero 3: Legends of Rock.
 Relenzo2
06-29-2008, 7:45 PM
You realize this is a biased test group for the vote, right? PC will obviously overwhelm because LucasForums itself is on a computer, and PC gamers are all the ones more invlolved on their computer. A console gamer is unlikely to seek out a forum like this.
 Rogue Nine
06-29-2008, 8:22 PM
You realize this is a biased test group for the vote, right? PC will obviously overwhelm because LucasForums itself is on a computer,
That is the shoddiest reasoning ever.

and PC gamers are all the ones more invlolved on their computer.
This does not mean that a console gamer will not use a computer. In this day and age, I do not think a gamer of any kind is very far away from a computer.

A console gamer is unlikely to seek out a forum like this.
Why? Most of the games on these forums (at least on the SW side) are put out for both console and PC. With the impeding release of the Force Unleashed only on consoles, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe they'd seek out a forum like this.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
06-29-2008, 8:31 PM
You realize this is a biased test group for the vote, right? PC will obviously overwhelm because LucasForums itself is on a computerI have it on good authority that all of lfnetwork is run on a cluster of PS3s.
 EnderWiggin
06-30-2008, 6:49 AM
*scanning post for any possible relevancy*

You're kidding. You used an analogy about how you only wanted your toaster to toast, in favor of the console argument. But the thing is, usually people are more inclined to want the all-in-one product that has multiple facets. Take the iPhone - most people already had a phone, and had internet, and had a camera, and an iPod (etc.) but when Apple slapped them together, people lined up for hours upon hours in order to get one. Even at the ridiculously high price. That's why I'd rather have my computer for gaming. It's so much more useful.

The relevancy is that my post was a direct counterargument ;)

the iphone didn’t sell because most people couldn’t justify spending that much money on a phone, regardless of it’s many extra features... so i suppose there's a slight relevance

No. (http://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=iphone%20line&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)

_EW_
 Taos
06-30-2008, 11:21 AM
When it comes to games, I've been PC exclusive for over five years now. Though if I do have a craving to play a console [which is very rare] I can go to my brother's place and play his 360. Admittedly, I'm terrible with the double thumb stick aiming in games like Halo 3. I'd much rather have a mouse and keyboard. ;)

Things are particularly interesting with the release of the Force Unleashed only on consoles, leaving poor PC users out in the cold.

I hope that LA will do the "right" thing and port it to pc a la what Bioware did with Mass Effect.
 Da_man
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I hope that LA will do the "right" thing and port it to pc a la what Bioware did with Mass Effect.
Or they might do what Microsoft did with Halo 2, and release it on thier newest OS. :xp:

EDIT: Fix't.
 urluckyday
06-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I've been PC gaming a lot lately (Bioshock, Stranglehold, Indiana Jones games, etc.), but I actually just ordered my xbox 360 premium recently, and I've always played and loved my Gamecube, so I'm right in the middle. Both PC and Console gaming add their own unique twists on gaming...I like PC gaming more (more memories), but console gaming is also fun in its own respects...nothing wrong with either, and I respect anyone who commits their time and money to one or the other...
 GeneralPloKoon
07-02-2008, 1:04 PM
I picked console, but I still play PC games, just not as much with Vista....games freezes like crazy. I play consoles almost all the time.
 Ray Jones
07-03-2008, 7:37 AM
I never owned a console personally. I once borrowed one for a week to beat Diddy Kong Racing but that's about all there is. So I'm PC gamer since my ATARI and Amiga times.

That's a fair argument, but now you have to choose which console you're going to buy. Games made for one console don't play well on others. That's one reason for me not to own a console.

So while a PC gamer may have to upgrade her video card in order to play game X, a console gamer face a situation where you have buy another console altogether.And another.

Plus my video card can be used for Photoshop, video editing, as well as other high-end games.And the third one.

The point is, I don't own a PC to play games, I own a PC and can play games with it. And it's just like with any console...I connect it to my TV and plug a bunch of controller pads (original PS2 in my case) in, and -- eh violina!

Also, my notebook is way more portable than any XBox or PS3. :carms:
 Sivy
07-03-2008, 8:33 AM
So while a PC gamer may have to upgrade her video card in order to play game X, a console gamer face a situation where you have buy another console altogether.

a console's lifespan is longer than a video card though. take the ps2 for insistence, it was released in 2000 and games are still being made for it.
whereas since 2000 i've had one computer, which was upgraded after a time with a newer video card, then later with a new CPU/ motherboard and RAM. then a couple of years later i brought a newer computer, which was later upgraded with a new video card and extra RAM, then another new computer more recently, just to keep up with ever increasing game requirements. now i built all these computers and carried out the upgrades myself, so although i spent a lot of money over the years, its nowhere near have much it would have cost for someone to do the same if they weren't able to do it themselves.
now i'm tired of having to upgrade all the time, so the convenience of a console is more attractive than the benefits of PC gaming. so i'll keep a computer for use of applications & internet access and i wont have to spend anything on it for a long time, and use my PS3 for gaming.
 Iron Rose
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
PC is where all the real action is (namely Team Fortress 2/CS:S) Plus the mouse and keyboard combo is unbeatable. (plus we have the option of playing MMORPGs)
 Boba Rhett
07-07-2008, 1:12 PM
(plus we have the option of playing MMORPGs)

My soul is aflame with jealousy.
 EnderWiggin
07-07-2008, 4:00 PM
PC is where all the real action is (namely Team Fortress 2/CS:S) )
This is funny in its own right :D

My soul is aflame with jealousy.

This is even funnier :lol:

_EW_
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-07-2008, 4:59 PM
Yin-Yang for me. Life is all about playing PC exclusives and console-only pearls.

I have it on good authority that all of lfnetwork is run on a cluster of PS3s.
T'was supposed to be a secret.

PC [...blah blah...] we have the option of playing MMORPGs)
Did you say something? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Agency_%28video_game%29) <- Not a link with an ironic response.
 Joetheeskimo
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a PC gamer, because I don't own any consoles. I'd certainly like to own an XBox 360, because with a growing sense of dread I am becoming aware of the fact that more and more games are coming out for next-gen consoles and not for PC. Although I really prefer mouse/keyboard over a controller, but that's only because I've used that all my life.

I also would like a console because if you get an XBox 360, it has set "specifications" so any game made for it will meet those specs. In other words, on a console, you won't have lag because your processor is too slow for that game, or graphic problems because your video card isn't good enough. PC users always have to upgrade, as someone else already mentioned.

Nevertheless, PC gets all the mods/downloadables.
Page: 1 of 2