Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Some Questions about module textures

Page: 1 of 1
 Exile007
05-04-2008, 1:10 AM
Hey Holowan,

I was attempting to reskin the Czerka center from TSL on Telos, and I have been trying to make it so that the window that shows Citadel Station is blocked off. I thought that simply adding a wall texture to the window one would be fine, but it isn't. I'm not sure what I can do to get around this and I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.

A screenshot of my problem:

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/3073/problemjq7.png)
 DarthRevan243
05-04-2008, 1:23 AM
You'd have to edit the module model with a 3d program lke Gmax to remove the window in afraid.
 Exile007
05-04-2008, 1:26 AM
You'd have to edit the module model with a 3d program lke Gmax to remove the window in afraid.

I'm almost 100% sure there is another way, anyone else got a suggestion?

Edit: I don't want to remove the window, I just want to make a non see-through window.
 Doc Valentine
05-04-2008, 2:08 AM
What is the name of the window texture? And did you make sure to fix the alpha so that it isn't transparent? Also, the transparency may come from the Trimesh of the model, in which case you would have to edit it in Gmax. I am not sure about this though, as I haven't tested out the Transparency option of trimeshes for models.

-Doc
 Exile007
05-04-2008, 1:29 PM
Eh, I suck with modeling programs.

The texture is tel_wn03, and I removed the alpha channel from the texture.
 Quanon
05-04-2008, 1:50 PM
Eh, I suck with modeling programs.

Try to add a full 100% white alpha channel.
Transparency is mostly done via the TXI file, well anything without a TXI goes transparant when 100% black or just some light grey.
 Exile007
05-04-2008, 2:34 PM
Augh! Windows crashed and for some reason the textures were corrupted! :firemad:

Luckily the models and walkmesh were just fine so I'll see what happens.
 settoken
05-04-2008, 3:46 PM

If you don't have the alpha channel in the texture anymore and if it still render transparent in the game, then I'm afraid that Gscc (doctor of funk) is right and that it comes from the trimesh model of the window.
If it's the case you'll have to remove the trimesh modifier for the window in gmax or 3ds max.
Sorry for bad news

Doc, as I've seen, a trimesh is transparent by default. Are you talking about that "transparency Hint" value or the "alpha" one ? I'm gonna make a try at this
 Quanon
05-04-2008, 4:05 PM
If you don't have the alpha channel in the texture anymore and if it still render transparent in the game, then I'm afraid that Gscc (doctor of funk) is right and that it comes from the trimesh model of the window.

Euhm, Its not difficult to add an alpha channel, its like one click on a button...
Some textures Kotor don't have one, but like said above its one click away.

Else make a .TXI named tel_wn03.txi and its should contain this:

envmaptexture CM_Baremetal

Its a Notepad file, buts saved as AllFiles, set to ANSI.
You just need to add the .txi

Check it out if the window turn "black" metallic.

EDIT: Take a look, I did a quick test myself.

1) Just made a silly TXI with the metal shine effect in it.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/K2_Zever5.jpg)

Windows where still slightly transparent.

2) Here I used another texture to replace the windows texture, though I made sure to make the Alpha Channel 100% white, which means 0 effects.

Just to be sure I left in the previous made TXI.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/K2_Zever.jpg)

All windows turned to solid steel and there was 0 shine effect :p
 Doc Valentine
05-04-2008, 4:16 PM
envmaptexture CM_Baremetal

Its a Notepad file, buts saved as AnyType, set to ANSI.
You just need to add the .txi

Check it out if the window turn "black" metallic.

I was actually going to suggest that next :). My original inkling was that it had to do with the Alpha channel. However, with Kotor modding, you have to remember one thing... it's kotor modding. The strangest things happen for the strangest reasons, sometimes I think I've fallen into an alternate reality,but yea it is likely the alpha channel :D.

settoken, I would be very interested to see how that turns out.

-Doc
 Quanon
05-04-2008, 4:22 PM
Mostly you handle transparency in 3D through opacity.

Though thats mostly handled by graphic file like a Black/White JPEG or TIFF or whatever you fancy that can save gray values.

So since an alpha channel is nothing more then just Gray values...
But ofcourse the alpha can be used multi purpose :)

EDIT: Aack, look at me rambling on about this stuff, real fathead :xp: blйh
 Exile007
05-04-2008, 4:40 PM
So you just add an alpha channel and color it white?

Edit: I got it working, but for some reason the texure shows up as gold instead of blue. Hopefully I'll figure this out. :)
 settoken
05-04-2008, 11:04 PM
ok I've played around with some values of a trimesh and it appears that...it does nothing as the only modifier used by the game to render a model is the skin. If the trimesh has been UV mapped and textured (even without the use of a skin) then you'll see in-game the modifications you made to the trimesh. Like its diffuse value or its transparency..
I think it could be usefull to make an invisible object having a shadow or to make other coloured light effects in game.
It has to be experienced, but I'm not a modder so I'm not gonna test it.
ok, just an aparte on the trimesh question.
Page: 1 of 1