Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best Video game hero/heroines

Page: 1 of 2
 Da_man
04-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Kinda going off on the "wosrt enemies thread, what is your favorite hero ( read: good guy) in video games so far?
 Bee Hoon
04-02-2008, 10:00 AM
The PC. Because she is my avatar!:p
 Inyri
04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Samus is teh bext! <3
 Da_man
04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
^Agree

Gordon Freeman, he kicks @$$.
 Astor
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
If it's heroes as in the character you play, then for me it would be a choice between The Exile, or Indiana Jones.

Yeah, i'm an LA whore :xp:
 Rogue Nine
04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Leisure Suit Larry. :bernard:
 Sabretooth
04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Guybrush Threepwood, the Mighty Pirate.

Lookbehindyouitsathreeheadedmonkey!
 Astor
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Sabretooth! That's just inspired me to sing one of the best songs from those games! All together now... :horn:
There's a Monkey in my pocket,
and he's stealing all my change,
his stare's all blank and glassy,
and I think that he's deranged!

:lol:

Don't forget Stan either!
 Jeff
04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Leon S. Kennedy is awesome in Resident Evil 4. Link and Samus are cool too. And then any PC I make in RPGs. :D
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Master Chief from the Halo series, all those transplants and steroids proved useful in the end :xp:

And an honorable mention to Kaim from Lost Odyssey, he proves that been immortal is not always a good thing
 Pho3nix
04-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Gordon Freeman and Solid Snake, though Snake isn't the "typical" hero.
 Da_man
04-02-2008, 2:27 PM
Master Chief from the Halo series, all those transplants and steroids proved usefull in the end :xp:

Yeah, but you have to be really, really, REALLY high or really crazy to do some of the things he does. :D

Jak form the Jak game series for the PS2. Has anyone actually played that game?
 Ctrl Alt Del
04-02-2008, 5:10 PM
Dante. From Devil May Cry. Guy's got a sword stabbed on the heart thrice and is still alive.
 Corinthian
04-02-2008, 5:18 PM
James 'Jimmy' Raynor, StarCraft. Followed closely by 'The Vault Dweller' from Fallout, Chell from Portal, 'the Chosen One' from Fallout II, and 'Nasrudin Reborn' from Arcanum.
 Pavlos
04-02-2008, 8:02 PM
I would say the Nameless One or the Vault Dweller but:Leisure Suit Larry. :bernard:End of. No arguments can be raised against this. >_>
 Corinthian
04-02-2008, 8:05 PM
Roger Wilco beats Leisure Suit Larry any day of the week. And twice on Sundays.
 Alkonium
04-02-2008, 9:05 PM
Gordon Freeman. He's a theoretical physicist with no military training (he also wears glasses), and yet he guns down countless aliens and soldiers. Can you be more awesome than him?
 Paddythegreat
04-02-2008, 9:39 PM
Raziel, from the legacy of kain series. He just oozes class.
 Rabish Bini
04-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, I was gonna say Solid Snake and Master Chief, but they're nothin compared to the might of Duke Nukem!! "Hail to the king, Baby!"
 The Betrayer
04-02-2008, 11:09 PM
The guy you name at Sacrifice. Revan at KotOR. Exile at KotOR 2.
 Da_man
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Mario the plumber. You know, fat, Italian. "Itsa me, Mario!"
 JoeDoe 2.0
04-03-2008, 9:40 AM
^Yoshi is also awesome, to eat all those monsters without getting indigestion is just amazing :xp:

The nameless hero from Bioshock for his incredible tolerance to all those chemicals he injects in his body and Nero from DMC 4 and Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, he would be rich if he worked as a gardener
 stingerhs
04-03-2008, 12:14 PM
wait a second, why is every one listing the playable characters?? we can list PC allies, too, right?? ;)

on that note:

Canderous Ordo
T3-M4
HK-47
Sergeant Johnson (Halo series)
Alyx Vance (Half Life 2)
Martin Septim (TES IV: Oblivion)

as far as playable characters go:
Agent 47 (Hitman series)
Richard B Riddick (Chronicles of Riddick)
John, Spartan 117, Master Chief (Halo series)
Gordan Freeman (Half Life series)

and i chose those characters because you can't change their hero status through the course of the game as you can with games like the Kotor series and Oblivion.
 jedispy
04-03-2008, 5:25 PM
I second that Inyri. Samus Aran is the indisputed CHAMP of all time. She beats out all others (especially that panty waste Master Chief)
 Corinthian
04-03-2008, 5:30 PM
Not really. Ever hear tell of Jack Walters, Jedispy? Took on Father Dagon and Mother Hydra and lived to tell the tale.
 jedispy
04-03-2008, 5:35 PM
Could Jack Walters take out multiple omega metroids? Heck, I bet he'd get turned into a pile of dust from a larval metroid sucking out his life force.

Plus Samus gets dressed for the occasion in like 2 seconds flat. You gotta respect a woman who can do that.
 Corinthian
04-03-2008, 6:03 PM
Jack Walters tackled the Right and Left hand of CTHULHU. I think he could take on a couple of scrag alien parasites.
 tk102
04-03-2008, 7:05 PM
Dak'kon from PS:T was probably my favorite NPC hero. The dialogs with him were full of masked pain and loyalty.

Jack in VtM:B was great too. That game lit up every time you spoke with him. His comic relief was greatly appreciated in this dark game.

As far as player character heroes, I think voice-acting played a big role in my choices:

Jake Logan (voiced by Bruce Campbell) in Tachyon: The Fringe was quite memorable as was Sam Fisher (Michael Ironside, commentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDIDMqxH1o)) in Splinter Cell and Garrett (Stephen Russell) in the Thief series.

Hmm... the only main PC character from an RPG that I would also consider mentioning would be Geralt from The Witcher. Again voice plays a big part here. :p
 Taak Farst
04-03-2008, 8:03 PM
NPC: HK-47
PC: Hmm I dunno
 Miles Edgeworth
04-03-2008, 8:44 PM
NPC: HK-47

HK? I don't think he was that much of a hero.

Link and Apollo Justice. OK, Apollo wasn't really a hero, but... :lol:
 Jae Onasi
04-03-2008, 8:48 PM
Favorite NPCs: Jolee (d'oh!), and of course Carth Onasi.... HK-47's unabashed delight in death and destruction made me laugh a lot.
Next favorites--Sand from NWN2--his acerbic wit is not to be missed. He's worth keeping in the party just for his acid commentary on various events and people.
Jack, VV, and Nines Rodriguez from VtMB (love Nines' voice) are great, too, and Jeanette is just deliciously crazy.
 mimartin
04-05-2008, 7:24 PM
NPC:

The Black Whirlwind - from Jade Empire.

Baurus – from Oblivion, Baurus and Jauffre are the only two NPC that would cause me to start a quest over if they died.

Mira – from TSL.

Urdnot Wrex – from Mass Effect, in the same tradition of other BioWare creations, HK and The Black Whirlwind, Wrex is only a hero because he is willing to do what must be done, not because it is the right thing to do. He also, like HK and The Black Whirlwind, has some great lines.

Tali’Zorah nar Rayya – from Mass Effect. Much like Mission Vao, Tali is a youngster caught up in a mission to save the galaxy. Unlike Mission, Tali is useful during the entire game right up to the confrontation with the final boss.

The next one may seem a little weird :)

Kreia – from TSL. What not a hero? To me she was the biggest hero in TSL. She is the one that found the Exile the one person that she knew could defeat Darth Nihilus and could be trained to beat the other Sith Lords and save the galaxy. Talk about making an extreme sacrifice, if that is not a hero I don’t know the definition of the word hero.

I guess I like the reluctant heroes best.

As far as PC I’ll go with:

Commander Shepard – Mass Effect.

The Exile – TSL

I agree with stingerhs that characters that can change their hero status should be excluded from the list, but I would argue that neither of these could change their status. Both PCs mission is to save the galaxy from an unknown threat and both succeed. It is only your choice on how they succeed.
 jedispy
04-05-2008, 7:30 PM
Jack Walters tackled the Right and Left hand of CTHULHU. I think he could take on a couple of scrag alien parasites.
Yeah, but Samus has boobs. Does Jack Walters have boobs? This alone makes Samus win. Don't believe me? Women can make us guys do anything just by withholding "something" from us.

Nope. I'm very sorry to say women win, which means Samus wins.
 Corinthian
04-05-2008, 7:51 PM
True. Jack Walters, even though he couldn't be stopped by Dagon and Hydra, inevitably still died because of a pair of women.

Of course, these women, well, one was a Deep One. A bipedal, sentient frog servant of Cthulhu. The other was a ten year old girl who the Deep One tore apart. Incidentally, the ten year old girl was a product of a union between the aforementioned Deep One and a human by the name of Thomas Waite. Jack Walters accidentally released the Deep One, and after escaping from Devil's Reef, Jack Walters hung himself in a mental asylum.

Welcome to Call of Cthulhu: If you survive, you'll probably commit suicide afterwards anyway!
 Bee Hoon
04-06-2008, 2:07 AM
Oh yes, how could I forget Squall?;p
 Da_man
04-06-2008, 2:11 AM
Yeah, but Samus has boobs. Does Jack Walters have boobs? This alone makes Samus win. Don't believe me? Women can make us guys do anything just by withholding "something" from us.

Burn to the third degree. Gordon Freeman still kicks @$$ though.
 JCarter426
04-06-2008, 2:21 AM
Kreia – from TSL. What not a hero? To me she was the biggest hero in TSL. She is the one that found the Exile the one person that she knew could defeat Darth Nihilus and could be trained to beat the other Sith Lords and save the galaxy. Talk about making an extreme sacrifice, if that is not a hero I don’t know the definition of the word hero.

Well said.
 dewayne26
04-06-2008, 5:27 AM
Chris Blair from Wing Commander

Angel from Wing Commander
 Miltiades
04-06-2008, 7:57 AM
Link from The Legend of Zelda & Revan from KotOR.
 mur'phon
04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
The bestness of a hero is for me is determined by their entertainment value.
Yoda v2.0 from Overlord
Deekin from NWN
Sand from NWN2
Hk-47 and Jolee from y'know
Hen-pecked Hou and Kang from Jade Empire
that hero from infernal, for his spech about mittens.
Jack from VtMB
 Da_man
04-06-2008, 3:42 PM
M'aiq the Lair in oblivion. he always makes me luagh. keep serching for those calipers and Colovian fur helms. :D
 Quanon
04-07-2008, 3:24 PM

But Kerrigan got boobs and some scythe like blades on her back... so Samus is scrapped for sure :lol:

And still has a sexy look :p , A hail queen of blades!
 Corinthian
04-07-2008, 3:42 PM
Oookay, THAT'S new. I wasn't aware people found THIS attractive...

http://www.elite-clan.org/news/data/upimages/Starcraft-Sarah-Kerrigan.jpg)

But, uh, whatever floats your boat.
 jedispy
04-07-2008, 4:44 PM
Maybe she'd be the best villain, but this thread is for best heroic protagonist. Sarah Kerrigan was a heroine for only a few levels in SC. Without her Zerg powers she is just another dumb Terran ghost...and one with ties to Greenpeace. What's up with the "no nukes" thing? All other ghosts can nuke things, but it's disabled on her. Thumbs down on Kerrigan.
 Rabish Bini
04-08-2008, 3:27 AM
Long Live Duke Nukem, King of Anti-Heroes!!
 Quanon
04-08-2008, 4:58 AM
Maybe she'd be the best villain, but this thread is for best heroic protagonist.

Hmm, when you play as the zerg she's your hero, then Tassadar and Jimmy are villians. It all depends on the point of view ;)

And she's hot :lol:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/slazzir/Kerri2.jpg)

Anyway, I always liked Atton from TSL, he's better company then whiny Carth.

And I can't really think of a WarCraft III hero I liked, best shot the Tauren Cairn Bloodhoof.

All the others where... mйh... Its weird, but StarCraft felt better.
 Jvstice
04-08-2008, 5:25 AM
1. Rukil from K1
He wants to save everyone he knows and loves from a life of poverty and misery in the Taris underworld and is willing to go to a lot of trouble over many decades to work towards that dream, even though it makes him a laughing stock for decades.

2. Kreia from TSL
She sets a plan into motion to get rid of the galaxy's greatest threats and is willing to make both herself and the exile a target in order to bring it about.

3. Maximilian Straus from VTM: Bloodlines
The perfect Tremere. Need I say more?

4. Thrall from WC3:ROC
Introduction to his character's story is the point at which warcraft went from mere stereotyping the orcs = evil against humans = good. I mean really, in wc2, the main things we knew about the orcs were they "drank demons blood from a skull" and they wiped out most other sentient life on their own world of Draenor. They summoned demons and practiced necromancy. All of these are things that humans would never do!!!

If that doesn't sound like propaganda from the opposite side in a war I don't know what does. With the appearance of Thrall, the characters became more 3 dimensional and interesting all around.

5. Sylvanas from WC3:TFT
If the story of Arthas and the lich king is an inversion of the whole Authurian legend, Sylvanas as a dark ranger is Blizzard's answer to Robin Hood fighting for freedom against an undead legion and against the demonic legions of Sargaras.

6. Tali from Mass Effect
She really is the most likable character in this game, and the one that comes off the most like a "real" friend to your character. She's self sacrificing to her people and the galaxy as a whole, but has a pragmatic mind as well.
 Ctrl Alt Del
04-08-2008, 7:34 PM
5. Sylvanas from WC3:TFT
If the story of Arthas and the lich king is an inversion of the whole Authurian legend, Sylvanas as a dark ranger is Blizzard's answer to Robin Hood fighting for freedom against an undead legion and against the demonic legions of Sargaras.

Oh yeah. I kinda liked how her part of the campaign ended. Plus, she's awesome because she's not exactly a good Elf.
 Nedak
04-08-2008, 7:56 PM
1. [
2. Kreia from TSL
She sets a plan into motion to get rid of the galaxy's greatest threats and is willing to make both herself and the exile a target in order to bring it about.

Lol, didn't she only do it so she could be the most powerful Sith Lord?

Also, I think the best hero would be Kadan from MassEffect
Because when you choose for him to stay behind so you can save that one chick, he dies by defending the bomb.
 Jvstice
04-08-2008, 8:53 PM
Ctrl_Alt_Del: Sylvanas was my favorite character, and if they ever move from the MMO on to wc4, I'm hoping to see a lot more of her character on the single player campaigns. I presume they'll have a regular game that has humans, horde, undead and night elves fighting the lich king, then an expansion where Azeroth gets judged by the returning Titans because of the interference of the old gods, Sargaras, and the legion. I'd love to play as Sylvanas' faction against that in part.

han sala: If kreia lost to the exile she died. If she killed the exile in their battle she had every reason to expect to die because of their lethal connection in the force. She had no reason to expect to live through it.

That's what happens when you get a sith to act selfless and for the good of the galaxy as they see it. The same arguement could be made of Darth Krayt from Star Wars Legacy. He doesn't expect to live beyond the next decade, so you have to believe his internal monologues when he says that he intends to unite the galaxy for it's own good against external threats.

Not that normal people would necessarily agree with the lengths they are willing to go to get their goals, or necessarily even the goals themselves, but I do think in both these instance is a sith acting ultimately unselfishly.

P.S. I see your point about Kaiden and it is a good one, but I still like Tali better.
Page: 1 of 2