Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is it possible to edit conversation GUI or font?

Page: 1 of 1
 stevedroid
03-25-2008, 7:38 PM
Some background on why I want to change these: As some of you may or may not know, there is a fan-made hack which allows KOTOR to run in widescreen. Unfortunately, since the game was never designed to run in widescreen it's not entirely flawless. While most resolutions at or above 1440x900 will work ok, any resolution at or below 1280x800 will crash, and while 1360x768 (which sounds odd, but is actually quite common because it's the native resolution of most 720p HDTVs) will run, it has an issue where the text for conversation replies doesn't display - essentially rendering the game unplayable. You can still select the replies with the number keys or even the mouse, but you can't see them.

No one has been able to track down the exact reason why higher resolutions work and lower ones don't, the fact that 1360x768 works but doesn't display text has been a thorn in the side of a lot of people who use HDTVs for their PC display.

However, I've been wondering is something as simple as a change to the font the game uses or the conversation GUI might fix this issue. Unfortunately, I have no clue if these things are editable or where to begin. Please let me know if these things can be changed. I read through the dialog editing tutorial, but it doesn't cover this question.
 Sithspecter
03-25-2008, 8:15 PM
There are some font tpc's in the gui section, I don't know where exactly though. Try dropping them into override, and if that doesn't work, then resize them to two times or something. I had the same kinda problem with saber hilt textures, they didn't appear, and that is what I did to fix it. Hope this helps ya!
 stevedroid
03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
There are some font tpc's in the gui section, I don't know where exactly though. Try dropping them into override, and if that doesn't work, then resize them to two times or something. I had the same kinda problem with saber hilt textures, they didn't appear, and that is what I did to fix it. Hope this helps ya!
I'm really sorry, but you'll have to explain it a bit more for me. I have no KOTOR modding experience. What's a tpc, and to what gui section are you referring?
 jonathan7
03-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm really sorry, but you'll have to explain it a bit more for me. I have no KOTOR modding experience. What's a tpc, and to what gui section are you referring?

tpc is the 'images/pictures/textures' or whatever you want to call them. You can extract them with KotOR Tool and convert them to .tga to edit in photoshop...

You can also edit them with GIMP, a program that is free. I honestly prefer GIMP, since photoshop costs big $$$.

If money is that tight move to Pakistan not only will your money go further, no copyright either ;)
 Exile007
03-26-2008, 1:21 AM
tpc is the 'images/pictures/textures' or whatever you want to call them. You can extract them with KotOR Tool and convert them to .tga to edit in photoshop...

You can also edit them with GIMP, a program that is free. I honestly prefer GIMP, since photoshop costs big $$$.
 stevedroid
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys. A really nice poster over on WideScreenGamingForum who already had experience with KOTOR modding tried editing the conversation GUI for me (thread link (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12710&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50)), but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue.

I have however found a way to get the game to work by using graphics card scaling to run it at a higher resolution that doesn't have the issue and scaling it down to my native res (which I tried ages ago, but nVidia only just fixed custom resolutions in the latest driver released today). So it's a bit blurry but I can live with it. Finally I can play the game in widescreen.
Page: 1 of 1