Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Page: 4 of 5
 edlib
01-14-2008, 7:33 PM
Like I said: Anything newer that what I am using now is going to be a HUGE improvement.

However: All my audio is already digi.

Hey... it's me. :dozey:
 Ikhnaton
01-14-2008, 7:42 PM
just got a root canal today. Didn't hurt hardly at all and not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Now I've got some semi-bling in my mouth with my stainless steel crown.

stupid cowboys. i can't believe they lost.
 Keyan Farlander
01-14-2008, 7:51 PM
Get Monster Cables. Let nobody tell you different.

Most overpriced items on the face of the Earth.
 Rogue15
01-14-2008, 9:18 PM
bought the oxm feb 2008 magazine cause it came with 3 levels of Turok!!! w007! no work tomorrow!
 Ikhnaton
01-14-2008, 9:40 PM
so i thought i lost my Arnette sunglasses at disneyland, so I bought myself a pair of Oakley bottlecaps off ebay. Today my mother in law finds the Arnettes in the stroller, where I had looked before. I'm certainly glad to have them back, although I wish I had found them before plunking down 120 bucks on new shades, especially since I don't plan on returning or reselling them.
 edlib
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Ouch.

Well, look at it this way: Now you have 2 options to look cool!
Never a bad thing.
 Zargon
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Most overpriced items on the face of the Earth.

x2

and componets are decent for HD

and you dont *need* to upconvert it only does so much :D

cracken spends too much time at the buy more!
 Zargon
01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
just got a root canal today. Didn't hurt hardly at all and not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Now I've got some semi-bling in my mouth with my stainless steel crown.

stupid cowboys. i can't believe they lost.

I concur, they really died a slow death the last few games :(
 edlib
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Ike: Did you follow along with what was going on with the procedure for future reference? I imagine it would be pretty interesting for you (even though it's actually taking place in your mouth...)

Keyan: I tend to agree... As long as the cable is better quality than what comes in the box most of the time, I don't see the huge advantage to ultra expensive cables.
And this is coming from a man who has coiled enough copper in my lifetime to reach to the Moon and back... a couple of times.
If cost was no object... then I imagine every cable in my possession would be top-shelf Monster or better... but for the short 1' or less box-to-box runs I have to make in my AV racks, I don't think the premium stuff is going to make that all big of a difference.

Zarg: That's kinda my feeling too. I've seen standard def DVDs played back on nice high def TVs... and they still look better than what I'm looking at right now. May not be ideal... but I'm sure I'll be able to live with for a while. At least until Blu-Ray DVD players come down into the budgetary reach of us mere mortals.

And after all... I have no plans on upgrading all my favorite movies to yet another format again. :rolleyes:

New stuff will be purchased on whatever hi-def optical format wins this current war... but traditional DVDs will have to suffice for most of the films in my collection for a long time to come.

I may be a techno-geek... but I'm not made of money. :dozey:
 Ikhnaton
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
I've observed a number of root canals, so I'm reasonably familiar with the procedure. I actually got to look into my own tooth and see all 4 of the canals. That was pretty cool.
 Zargon
01-15-2008, 12:04 PM
btw, Blu ray wins

now 81% of studios are blu-ray exclusive.

and let me find where I got my last cables from, some place outta KC and they were CHEAP and nice
 edlib
01-15-2008, 7:37 PM
Work was slow, and pretty dull. Had my annual performance evaluation. Then boss took me out to lunch.

Tired tonight. Didn't sleep great last nite. Plan on reading a little, and just letting myself conk out when the drowsiness hits.
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Played some CoD4 with 15, did ok.

Very impressed by the single player campaign, when you drop a nuke, you get bonus points. LOTS of bonus points.

Will probably finish the game over the next week or so.
 edlib
01-16-2008, 8:06 AM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/P1130240.jpg)
Most recent picture of me, taken yesterday in my office with my co-workers.
That's me all the way in the back, looking doubtful.
This was just before I gave up for the day and headed home. (I believe I was reading up on Ubuntu Linux at the time...)

A couple of other recent ones, just for good measure (or just ****s and giggles...) while I have Photobucket open in another window:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/dinner.jpg)
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/work.jpg)
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/stage.jpg)
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/blackhole.jpg)

The fleabag:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z167/edlib02169/Lila001.jpg)
 Keyan Farlander
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
The kitty does not look amused.
 Rogue15
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
nice pictures ed!

I played a lot of Cod4 last night. I TRIED getting back into GRAW 2......it's not as fun, besides the co-op and single player anyway. it took like 15 minutes to set up a game. love where in cod4 you just join whenever.

Went bowling with my mom yesterday, my first game i did ok on, 122 i think was my score, then it just went downhill from there. probably going bowling again today. :)

The warranty on my tracker is almost up. it's still running good, though the rust seems to be more and more noticeable around the wheel-wells.....hope it doesn't fail me for inspection next September. -_-

I watched another disk of 24 season one with my dad yesterday. It's my 3rd time watching it, my dad has seen it once, but doesn't remember it. We're probably going to watch the 4th disk later today.

It's crazy how much technology has advanced in 20 years. Seeing movies go from VHS to DVD to HD-DVD/Blue Ray, and games go from Cartridges to CDs to DVDs....and cell phones go from gigantic to earpiece. makes me wonder what 20 years from now will be like.
 edlib
01-16-2008, 11:13 AM
The kitty does not look amused.
She never does.

She never is.

It's one grumpy feline.
 Rogue15
01-16-2008, 12:01 PM
so ed, how do you like Oblivion? I'm about to get back into it.
 edlib
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
What I played of it was pretty cool... though I may create a new character and start again from the beginning now I know the mechanics of it.

Getting used to the whole inventory thing and leveling up for these RPG games is taking some adjustment, however.
 Rogue15
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
i think i'm gonna play it all week, and start advancing into the main quest. the assassin guild is pretty creepy...

Another game I may be getting this year is Gears of War. There's gotta be a damn good reason why it is STILL priced at $60.

I've got the problem where i've got too many 360 games now....and i want all their achievments (besides gh3, i suck at medium)
 Ikhnaton
01-16-2008, 3:30 PM
Looks like Norm Abrams has a side gig doing concerts! ;)
 Zargon
01-16-2008, 4:56 PM
gears is AWESOME.

and its co-op via live is GREAT
 edlib
01-16-2008, 7:08 PM
Looks like Norm Abrams has a side gig doing concerts! ;)
:dozey:
That's actually a new one for me... but I have to admit right on the money.

The New Yankee Venue!
This Old Concert Hall!

Yeah... you'll never catch me in a lot of flannel.

I just wish I had his carpentry skills. :(
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-16-2008, 9:00 PM
I tried Gears of War... Didn't like the control scheme at ALL, the camera felt awkward and I felt I spent more time fighting that than using the Hammer of Dawn on poor unsuspecting evil.... things. I like the graphics though.

I never got into Oblivion.... may consider that my next gaming purchase.

GH3: I still can't finish Raining Blood on Hard. Expert?! LOL I laugh... because it's impossible. One day I'll go back and blow through medium to get Through the Fire and Flames..... too bad the first and second sets suck soooooo much.

Still gotta finish CoD4 before I start a massive single player game like Oblivion though. Because it's just THAT BIG.
 Rogue15
01-16-2008, 9:33 PM
yeah i'm doing the dark brotherhood missions on oblivion. glad i picked it back up. been using 'fast travel' feature though. I recommend getting the Game of the Year edition, cracken, as that comes with Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles. I have the choice of buying that or getting the expansions via marketplace.
 Ikhnaton
01-16-2008, 9:46 PM
I just wish I had his carpentry skills. :(I'd be content with all his power tools, even if i didn't have the skills.
 edlib
01-16-2008, 9:47 PM
Good point! If I had the tools, I could probably build the skills. With him, I think he had the skills first, and then people started giving him the tools.

I'm attempting to get through Halo 2 before I seriously tackle anything else.

Been trying to do a mission a night on Ace Combat... but that's difficult, because many of the missions are 20 minutes or longer to complete even if you do everything just right.

If you get killed or crash just before the end, you often have to do the whole thing over again from the top.

Can take ALL NIGHT just to complete an entire mission.

My next serious gaming binge will probably be Mass Effect though. I want to get through a big chunk of that before I go too nuts on anything else.
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-16-2008, 9:59 PM
15: I'm a magic user by trade.... Should I get the Wizards Tower thingie too? I saw that on the DLC.

My FSP skills are FAR improving. My next binge day? Nothing but CoD4. That's right. Was pwning HARD tonight. First game ended up with a 10 kill streak thanks to a well placed air strike and a helo. Calling in Airstrikes never gets old. <3 my M16. I do have the "Noob tube" (Scope to help turn that thing into a longer range weapon....) but I'm getting at least 9-10 kills a match. Not bad, but I see room for improvement.

Love that game, much better than Halo 3 IMHO for multiplayer and single player. Requires a high degree of precision though. Something I know Ed needs to work on a bit. ;)
 Rogue15
01-17-2008, 1:40 AM
got a bit more into the assassin guild in oblivion. :) not sure about the wizard tower thing, only dlc i have for oblivion is the castle thing its a freebie, haven't gone there yet though.

currently playing through CoD4 single player campaign. it's crazy. just got past the 'one shot one kill' part, well...on the extraction route anyway and it's giving me a hell of a hard time fending off waves and waves of troops.

(edit: looks like i won't be completing that mission tonight....restarted the quicksave about 25 times....random grenade chuckers keep taking me out, surprised my sister hasn't thrown a real one at me for screaming at the tv while she's trying to sleep...need one of those halo 3 shield bubbles for those damn grenades)
 edlib
01-17-2008, 5:04 AM
Something I know Ed needs to work on a bit. ;)
Yeah,.. I know.
I'm truly sorry I don't have 12 hours a day to devote to playing video games.
I'll honestly try to better in the future.

:dozey:

Jeez... Give me a break, willya?

I've had the thing, what?.. all of not quite 3 weeks now?

And I can only take an hour or 2 a day to dedicate to the thing, at most. I'll never be as good as some 12 year old punk who starts playing as soon as he gets home from school everyday and plays until 2 am every night.

Wanna talk "high degree of precision"?
Bring your guitar by sometime. We'll have a headcuttin' duel.

Then we'll just see which way the pwnage flies.

:joy:
 Rogue15
01-17-2008, 8:28 AM
weird thing. this morning i woke up with the only thought of leaving walmart for a better paying job. they're cutting my hours by 10 a paycheck. that's nearly $100. time to bail the hell out of there before it's too late...

my goal is to make $11 or more an hour at another job. even at 70 hours a paycheck that comes to more than what i'm making at 80 hours. think i'll submit several applications within this and next week.

(edit: i applied at best buy's geek squad dept)
 Zargon
01-17-2008, 9:25 AM
crack I had to tweak the sensitivty of gears controls before I liked them
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I know ed, you'd lay down thy divine rock hammer. I concede that. ;)

Don't have to go into work for another 2 hours. Yay? I dislike closing though. Kinda absorbs my whole day.
 Rogue15
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
closing is my favorite shift. stay up all night and not worry about having to wake up at a certain hour!!!
 K_Kinnison
01-17-2008, 5:35 PM
I got a raise, and commendation letter at work today.

The letter was because we had a sprinkler head fail and dump a bunch of water on our dock. Once the all clear was given (no fire) by my supervisor I went in and started moving product out of the way, and helped with clean up.
 edlib
01-17-2008, 9:05 PM
Another (mostly) slow one at work today.

A long lunch (halfway decent Indian...) and a surprising amount of e-mail traffic for me.

Highlight of the day was recounting to a couple of co-workers the dream I had last night. The really VIOLENT dream I had last night... where one of them didn't make it,.. and I might have been gunnin' for the other.

They took it all in with surprising good humor. If someone told me the dream I related, I'd be a bit disturbed,.. at the very least.

I might just be taking a break from the FPS games for a while, though... :dozey:

Got a call from my dad today that left me a little bit freaked out. He's having a pacemaker put in next week.
It's a pretty routine procedure, and the doctor says there's nothing to worry about... but still, any time they're in there messing with your ticker... and my dad's no spring chicken (78 next month...)

Hmmm... I'll try not to worry. Nothing I can do from up here anyway.

And after all: if his condition is serious enough to warrant having a pacemaker surgery, then it's probably just as, if not more risky to go without it.

Still doesn't give me much comfort, however.
 Rogue15
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
work went by rather fast for a slow day. got home, couldn't get through that damn mission on CoD4...i'll probably end up restarting the level. Playing Oblivion right now, just joined up with the Thieves Guild. Found out where to acquire my lockpicks now. 5 gold a piece, can't beat that. My level is maxed until i rest...i don't really feel like levelling up, cause whenever i do, the enemies just get harder. think i'll just play this game for the rest of the night before going to bed.
 Zargon
01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
congrats K!

I hope to get a promotion soon, i am told its in the 'works' but its been that way for a while now :(
 edlib
01-19-2008, 2:22 AM
Somewhat busy day at work. A bit surprising, actually.

Ate some takeout, and fell asleep almost as soon as I got home. (Slept kinda crappy again last night. I was pretty much awake since 2:30 am...)

Now I'm up again. This does not bode well... but I'm going to try to get back ASAP.

It's too bad I was such waste product too: I was asked to go see that new Cloverfield movie by a co-worker last night, but very unfortunately there was no way I could do it. :(

Not only was I beyond exhausted... but I was already home when I saw the invite in my email for a showing that started just about an hour from then. It would have taken me at least a hour to turn around and get back to the cinema in Boston where they were going, pretty much guaranteeing that I would have missed the beginning of the film, and probably never found them in the theater anyway.

Too bad.

But my friend said that if it's good, perhaps seeing it with a bigger group of people that couldn't all make it tonight again sometime this weekend. Maybe I can manage to weasel my way in on that...

And after I said I wasn't going to allow myself to refuse any social invite I received this year.
(And this particular invite was from an apparently single, particularly attractive female co-worker at that...)

Damn.

Oh well...
 Rogue15
01-19-2008, 10:38 AM
was up til about 3:20 am playing CoD4. think tonight i'll be on oblivion.

i've a feeling i'm not going to be here by this time next year. my sis keeps not coming home from her boyfriend's house. i have a few options....i could find someone to share the rent w/me (not gonna happen as i don't trust anyone else that much, i know someone that would want to, but he's on his last year of highschool and i definitely don't trust him that much), i could move back in with my parents (yuck.....but on the bright side, cheap!), or i could go into the military, but if i wanted out, i'd be stuck in the same exact situation. and then again, i could try getting a wife and split rent and bills with her. (damn that sounded cold didn't it, well i don't give a ****)
 Keyan Farlander
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Um...I think you need to take care of a little business first, in terms of whipping your sister's boyfriend's ass for his clearly impure intentions toward her. It is the sacred duty of every brother.
 edlib
01-19-2008, 4:20 PM
Been catching up on missed sleep all day. Yippee.

Hopefully I get rested up enough to make the rest of the weekend at least somewhat productive.

It looks like it could be the last stretch of free time off in a row I have until May. I want to try to enjoy it.
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-19-2008, 5:34 PM
busy day at work. meh. Gonna go shoot people to relax. whoo7.
 Kuuki
01-19-2008, 11:25 PM
picked up watching Zone of the Enders yesterday.
But then last night I did some looking up, and forgot that ZOE is one of those rare anime that you need to play the F***ING GAME FOR!!

damnit! I'm to far away from civilizaton to get a damn ps2! DAMNIT!
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-20-2008, 12:15 AM
BAD GAMER. No COOKIE!

Zone of the Enders is one of the best games I've played.

The giant robots had NOTHING to do with swaying my opinion.

Ok... maybe a little. ;)
 Rogue15
01-20-2008, 1:17 AM
I've been playing Oblivion. I'm glad I got back into playing it. The battles are so crazy, especially the random ones. It has the fast-travel thing, unlike Morrowind, but i don't use it too much, like when I have to go to the other side of Cyrodil, sure it's about a 15-20 minute walk, but I've been doing side-quests along the way, i cleared out this cave of necromancers with skeleton warriors, wraiths, and zombies. the necromancers themselves were rather easy though! Definitely one of my favorite games. :)

Work today was slow...I got mad though, immediately after my lunch break, i walk into the lab and am asked by 2 managers to go run a register....this catches me off guard, because it wasn't THAT busy up there when i came in. I was like 'fine i'll ****in do it' since 2 people were on their way home, and one to lunch. so i go up there and it's not busy at all. so i milked it for 2 hours. i dunno what the reasoning for 2 managers at a time asking was all about, and they're not supposed to ask specialty service departments to run it. hell, i don't see automotive people being pulled out there, nor do i see pharmacy people and vision center people out there. i wasn't an ass this time though, i just left my light on til i had like 3-4 customers, then i shut it off til they were gone, turned it back on, and just did that for about 2 hours. i guess that's the extent of my excitement working at walmart.

looks like it's snowing out, at least from the firefox forecast for my area. interesting.
 K_Kinnison
01-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Heh, is -11 F here. I think we are going to switch to keeping the temperature in Kelvin to raise morale

High of 8

Looks like perfect weather for the NFC championship game in Green Bay.. good ol' frozen tundra
 Kuuki
01-20-2008, 4:06 PM
BAD GAMER. No COOKIE!

Zone of the Enders is one of the best games I've played.

The giant robots had NOTHING to do with swaying my opinion.

I know you've played it, and your opinion stands.
I watched you play it

i think it was about a half an hour after the host of that party thought his house would blow up at my mammoth sized monitor (at the time)

at any rate, i'm kinda deployed now. and i cant just go walk (or drive) down to wally world and pick up a ps2 and a copy of each game...

T_T
 edlib
01-20-2008, 7:12 PM
Yay Patriots!
Yay Superbowl!

There was never any doubt.

Time to start laundry.

Yay. :dozey:

Oh well... XBox is right next to laundry room. :joy:

Time to bust some more ass on Mass Effect. Finished most of the Citadel side missions. Leveled up a buncha times. Time to get into the meaty main quests.
 Rogue15
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
work was same old stuff today. last day of being 23. 976 more years to go until i am 1,000 years old!

watched the last quarter of giants and packers game. interesting to see the jaguar's old coach win a game that actually counts for anything.

Think i'll play Cod4 or Oblivion. probably oblivion, i'm getting my skills up to where i can kill stuff pretty quick.
Page: 4 of 5