Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Strongest Enemy

Page: 1 of 3
 teodesetkata
11-04-2007, 2:19 AM
Who was the most difficult enemy you had in the game KOTOR 1?
 adamqd
11-04-2007, 9:54 AM
I probably lost more times to Bendak than Malak, but I was far more experienced by the time I met Malak, and obviously I was a much higher level...
 MetalMark
11-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Offcourse Malak is the strongests from the list. Only I voted Sherruk cause there was a time when I only could beat him with the right party members and than still having to fight like hell.
 Meowster
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Darth Malak-- Or at least he used to be.

When I first played I was a non-offencive Smuggler, turned Sentinal. I had to struggle, GREATLY to get him down to 1 health. Then he had to suck up the life of the Jedi,and then got myself creamed. I have never finished that file. ( Is on my cousins xBox )
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-04-2007, 1:22 PM
Wow, of course it's the Rancor. Try taking him one-on-one!
 Rev7
11-04-2007, 2:12 PM
LOL! :) Good point!

I voted for Sherruk, not necessarily because he was hard to beat, but because his weapon(s) dealt a lot of damage to you. Malak was hard to beat the first time, but it got a lot easier the more you fought him. IMO, of course. :)
 Titanius Anglesmith
11-04-2007, 3:29 PM
I guess Malak was the strongest, but I had a much harder time beating Sherruk. I still have trouble with him unless I have the right party members, I do the right attacks with each party member, and they pull them off right.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-04-2007, 4:24 PM
One thing for sure, Try fighting Bendak with a level 2 Scoundrel... Gotta have lotsa grenades.
 PoiuyWired
11-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Well, you can sort of hide where he cannot hit you, and shoot the rancor til he is dead... it will take time, but it will happen eventually. Either that or use hit and run. You can heal up, the rancor cannot.
 Rev7
11-05-2007, 12:46 AM
You know, I have never tried that, the first time that I played KotOR 1, I just bluntly ran out into the open and started shooting at it. As you could probably tell, it didn't end too well. I had to go back a full hour to get back to where I was. :( You live and you learn, I guess.
 Emperor Devon
11-05-2007, 2:02 AM
Pretty much all of KotOR's enemies are a breeze to beat, though that's due to the AI not being very smart. It's fairly rare to see them using tactics beyond 'hack-slash-hack-slash-drain life-drain life-repeat until dead'.

If I had to pick one it would be the rancor, though even with immunity to all weapons it's still easy enough to kill if you don't blindly charge at it. In my first playthrough I ran to the corner of one of the walls where it couldn't reach me and pelted it with grenades until it died.

Still, it's pretty rare you'll ever have to use tactics or plan ahead to survive. Pity that ended with the Infinity engine.
 Arбtoeldar
11-05-2007, 9:43 AM
Pretty much all of KotOR's enemies are a breeze to beat, though that's due to the AI not being very smart. It's fairly rare to see them using tactics beyond 'hack-slash-hack-slash-drain life-drain life-repeat until dead'.

If I had to pick one it would be the rancor, though even with immunity to all weapons it's still easy enough to kill if you don't blindly charge at it. In my first playthrough I ran to the corner of one of the walls where it couldn't reach me and pelted it with grenades until it died.

Still, it's pretty rare you'll ever have to use tactics or plan ahead to survive. Pity that ended with the Infinity engine.

Well Stated ED
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-05-2007, 9:09 PM
Well, you can sort of hide where he cannot hit you, and shoot the rancor til he is dead... it will take time, but it will happen eventually. Either that or use hit and run. You can heal up, the rancor cannot.

I know that. You can also bomb he to death with grenades. But I meant on melee combat... XD

And hit and run wouldn't work, as he crushes you with a single blow. :smash:
 spawn613
11-06-2007, 8:17 PM
i'd say malak. i think he eats... babies?
 Q
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM

It's good to see that others have noticed this. Isn't AI supposed to improve as time progresses?

The thing is I'd played KotOR and NWN before I played Baldur's Gate I & II and thought that the battles would be similar to what I was used to. Needless to say I got my ass handed to me several times before I realized that I actually needed to develop some sort of strategy other than rushing in and hacking and slashing in order to win.

OT: I'd have to say Malak. Sure, he's easy now, but think about the first time you fought him. Since most Force powers can barely scratch his paint, the only thing you can do is buff up and trade blows with him after killing all of his captive Jedi.

And if Malak has become too easy I suggest trying Shem's Malak Improved mod. One little .uti file in your override folder and you'll be running for your life again. ;)
 lordofmalachor
11-10-2007, 7:51 PM
darth malak was actually pretty easy. i said rancor (would've said Jolee, if he was up there)
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-10-2007, 8:20 PM
darth malak was actually pretty easy. i said rancor (would've said Jolee, if he was up there)

Jolee? That would have to be:

Jolee and Juhani

for obvious reasons.
 Corinthian
11-10-2007, 8:33 PM
Malak is extremely hard if you don't have any means of killing the Jedi in the tanks.
 Rev7
11-11-2007, 2:11 AM
The Jedi are already dead, technically. Malak only didn't "let them become one with the force", but that is beside the point.

Malak is very difficult; unless, you have a lot of life support packs, of course! :p
 Corinthian
11-11-2007, 4:07 AM
He's pretty easy if you have Force Drain or Lightning, but without it he becomes extremely hard.
 Lance Monance
11-11-2007, 4:38 AM
It's good to see that others have noticed this. Isn't AI supposed to improve as time progresses?

The thing is I'd played KotOR and NWN before I played Baldur's Gate I & II and thought that the battles would be similar to what I was used to. Needless to say I got my ass handed to me several times before I realized that I actually needed to develop some sort of strategy other than rushing in and hacking and slashing in order to win.

QFE

I enjoyed the fact that spell casting enemies in BG2 gave me a hard time. You just feel helpless when a mage makes you lose control over your entire group, casts a few AOE spells to damage them severely and proceeds to insta-kill your main character with a particulary powerful spell..
Made me study the concept of magic immunity and resistance :D

Kotor just lacks ANY challenging battle. I suppose for players who are new to the D&D system it can be quite challenging but for veterans..
 PoiuyWired
11-11-2007, 5:09 AM
He's pretty easy if you have Force Drain or Lightning, but without it he becomes extremely hard.

The useless LS ability of destroy droid works also. Though I would get a bit of the nice life leaching even when playing LS, just to take care of Malak's special something.
 Emperor Devon
11-11-2007, 5:28 PM
(would've said Jolee, if he was up there)

If you choose to go DS at the Rakatan temple he is, but he puts up a horrible fight. The majority of the enemies in that phase of the game have better stats than the PC and are ridiculously easy enough to kill already, let alone ones that have stats equal/inferior to the PC's. Add to how he's a consular (dreadful HP) and how the AI isn't smart enough to take advantage of his Force powers, and on average it takes two rounds for him to go down.

If you were completely destitute by the game's end, sure. Six planets worth of energy shields and Force immunity makes it impossible for him to deal out any damage. Even without it he's still sadly easy to beat; his 29 strength and 23 constitution sound impressive on paper, but he only has nine lives in comparison to the eighty-one or so granted by all the medpaks you've gathered up until that point, and unlike your character he has no equipment apart from a Dark Jedi Master robe.

And that's leaving out all the adrenal stimulants you've gathered up until that point, plus your fully upgraded double/dual lightsaber(s), and whatever Force buffs you can cast upon yourself. If you compare them all it's extraordinarily unbalanced:

Malak: 1-12 damage lightsaber plus his strength modifier. Total damage = 10-21. There's also a random chance of him using master flurry, but the AI isn't very smart.

Compare that to a fully buffed PC. Two 1-12 damage lightsabers upgraded with sapith and upari/krayt dragon pearl crystals = 5-20/6-12 (11-32 total). Add master flurry to that, which gives an extra attack each round... that's 22-64 damage. Then add master speed, which gives two extra attacks and you've doubled the damage again... that's 44-128 total damage you can dish out each round, even if the floating numbers only show a bunch of 8s. Sure, there's a chance you can miss him, but an already high strength plus some adrenal stims and Force buffs doesn't leave much chance for that considering Malak only has 18 dexterity and no AC-enhancing equipment to speak of.

Anyways, the battle is far from extremely hard. You'd have to tie your character's hands, blindfold them and hop on one foot to get anything even close to that. :)
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-11-2007, 7:03 PM
If you were completely destitute by the game's end, sure. Six planets worth of energy shields and Force immunity makes it impossible for him to deal out any damage. Even without it he's still sadly easy to beat; his 29 strength and 23 constitution sound impressive on paper, but he only has nine lives in comparison to the eighty-one or so granted by all the medpaks you've gathered up until that point, and unlike your character he has no equipment apart from a Dark Jedi Master robe.

I think he meant, if you have no ways to destroy the capsules where the Jedi are. But almost everything work on it, throw lightsaber, Destroy Droid, etc...
 Emperor Devon
11-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I think he meant, if you have no ways to destroy the capsules where the Jedi are.

My previous post. Your nine dozen life support packs supply you with more lives than Malak's Jedi will even if you don't destroy them. (As if it matters with how much more damage you can do anyway...)
 Serpentine Cougar
11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
I voted Darth Bandon, but only because I'm stuck on a battle with him on Kashyykk right now. It's the first time I've really been stumped in the game.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-13-2007, 7:47 PM
My previous post. Your nine dozen life support packs supply you with more lives than Malak's Jedi will even if you don't destroy them. (As if it matters with how much more damage you can do anyway...)

Well, it's not impossible at all, he even regains less health every time he absorbs a Jedi, ain't that right?
 Corinthian
11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
True enough, but Malak is still the hardest fight in the game, I'd say. The game really isn't all that hard.
 Q
11-14-2007, 3:53 PM
Just think of how hard the battles would be if the enemy Jedi used Master Speed, or any of the other buffs for that matter.
 golemrowan
11-14-2007, 5:18 PM
yeah... malak is the hardest "boss" so far....but it's fairly easy to kill almost all of the others... i have more trouble with lots of little dudes!
 Corinthian
11-14-2007, 5:30 PM
Well, actually, if you count TSL, Kreia is somewhat difficult. It's mostly the Flying Lightsabers. I got killed a few times by those.
 Totenkopf
11-15-2007, 3:40 AM
Calo Nord is the only one you can't beat, but only if you challenge him in the cantina. Otherwise, he goes down relatively easy. Marl was a pretty difficult fight that early in the game.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-15-2007, 1:43 PM
Well, actually, if you count TSL, Kreia is somewhat difficult. It's mostly the Flying Lightsabers. I got killed a few times by those.

That and master Vrook. But still, KotOR is more difficult (or less easy) overall.
 golemrowan
11-17-2007, 7:11 AM
you get to fight vrook?
 Totenkopf
11-17-2007, 4:13 PM
you get to fight vrook?

Yeah, in TSL. Also, if you use the slaughter the jedi council mod (don't remember the exact name) for KOTOR, you can kill vrook there too. Die, Lou Grant! ;)
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 5:09 PM
you get to fight vrook?

Totemkpof, I think we might have just blown the game for him...
 Totenkopf
11-17-2007, 6:23 PM
Totemkpof, I think we might have just blown the game for him...

I'd like to think we gave him something to look forward to. ;) Besides, when you get into a thread where people discuss who is the hardest baddy to kill, you're bound to see potential spoilers abound. c'est le vie.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 6:39 PM
^ True, but remember he wasn't expecting anything about Kotor 2.
 Rev7
11-17-2007, 6:41 PM
Good point!
 Totenkopf
11-17-2007, 6:54 PM
Well, trust me, after KOTOR, anyone with sense would want to take a crack at Vrook. But blame Corinthian for shifting gears on the game. ;) Good thing we didn't tell him about the Rakatan Death Star that shows up at the end of TSL to destroy everyone, thus ensuring that KOTOR 3 never have to get made. Oops, guess that slipped. :D
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 7:11 PM
Good thing we didn't tell him about the Rakatan Death Star that shows up at the end of TSL to destroy everyone, thus ensuring that KOTOR 3 never have to get made. Oops, guess that slipped. :D

If you continue to screw the game for newcomers like this, you surely will get banned! Luck of yours you didn't told him about Malak's clone... ;)
 Totenkopf
11-18-2007, 3:34 AM
Well, I guess they can ban two as easily as one. :doh:
 Jacen Stargazer
11-18-2007, 4:42 PM
The two bosses whose appearances aren't at one set place, Calo Nord and Darth Bandon, gave me the worst trouble my first time around. And Darth Malak is frustratingly hard if you can't take out his regen pods, but even with them he's a tough customer.
 Aeroldoth
11-24-2007, 6:40 AM
I think for a true test of who's the most difficult, you have to play the game solo. Not solo mode mind you, solo, as in alone. Further, try playing with a no-death rule, and further see if you can beat bosses WITHOUT using foreknowledge/player knowledge. That means no using certain buffs/tactics/equipment against enemies whose weaknesses aren't immediately apparent. I''ve so far found it impossible with certain enemies.

I selected other on the poll, because I'd have to say that it's a toss-up between Brejik's war droid in the Vulkar garage, the Sith Governor, and Calo Nord/Davik.

It doesn't matter what your stats or saves are, the war droid can freeze you and whittle you down without you being able to take a single action. IMO, that makes it prolly THE most dangerous enemy in the game.

The Governor is similarly deadly with his Stasis power. At least here you have a chance to save, even if that chance is slim. Likely, you'll fail one of your saves, and then he'll chop you up while you're paralyzed.

Calo Nord and Davik dish out insane amounts of damage. There have been many times where they have torn through my shields and killled me in a single round! Only when they target Canderous first do I even have a chance of surviving.

I would say that Malak isn't anywhere near as hard as these three. When you face Malak, you are max level with tons of feats, powers, gear, and health points. Succeeding against the other encounters is far, far, far more difficult; impossible even without using player knowledge.
 MaStErRevan55
11-25-2007, 3:25 PM
The rancor was easy to beat if you knew how to do it right with the synthesized odor. My hardest was Malak probably. In my first few games I did the hit and run technique. :gunleap: But now I can take him on saber to saber without running
 ThatEvilDude
02-28-2008, 11:58 PM
i owned everyone, yet at kashykk when Calo showed up he pwned the crap out of me, it took me 10 times to beat him.
 patient_zero
02-29-2008, 3:03 PM
It must have taken me about twenty tries to down Bendak Starkiller the first time. Now, though, I use grenades much more liberally compared to the "MUST SAVE ALL DEPLETEABLES" mindset that I use to approach new games.

I found Malak pretty tough too, as I was used to being able to win fights without buffs. Luckily, however, I did have Valor and a huge pile of shields and stims, so once I figured out I should use them he was beatable.
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-29-2008, 8:06 PM
"MUST SAVE ALL DEPLETEABLES".
I also have this kind of mentality. I can't stand being with few recovery items no matter on what game. Of course, Bendak can get a pain if you're not soldier and don't use grenades.

By the way, you should try taking on him with a level 2 Scoundrel. It was child's play.
 DeadYorick
02-29-2008, 8:51 PM
Malak was mostly the hardest. Since it was around my second playthrough that I found out you could destroy the guys who were in stasis so he couldn't heal himself. It was very difficult to face him like 17 times before he finally went down
 Lordjedi
03-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Bendak. Because when you fought him you were inexpierenced.
Page: 1 of 3