Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Halo 3 - whos getting it!?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rogue15 Fan
08-27-2007, 3:41 AM
Is anybody getting Halo 3..its basicly exactly a month away now and boy am i excited! its going to be HUGE and over 60 million pre ordered copies dosn't lie! i pre ordered the limited collectors edition and will attend the midnight launch. So anybody else getting it ? if so, say so and we can discuss. :ears1:
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
08-27-2007, 4:16 AM
I'll be pre-ordering.

I don't know what all they've got planned for launch day, some friends and I considered going to a mall in WV that's supposed to be holding a big Halo2 LANparty pre-release, but I don't know what's up with that.
 Rogue15 Fan
08-27-2007, 4:26 AM
Don't you mean Halo 3 LAN party ?
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
08-27-2007, 4:49 AM
Well, after the Halo2 one of course XP
They were going to get this one mall closed early, and have everyone play halo2 until the EBGames actually sells it.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-27-2007, 3:05 PM
I'll get it. Though, probably not on the release date.

Personally, I am awaiting such games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. All in which, take higher priority than Halo 3.
 sekan
08-27-2007, 3:18 PM
I'll Get if when i buy a Xbox 360 :) And i don't know when i gonna buy it :S
 SilentScope001
08-27-2007, 3:24 PM
I really hope that either Master Chief goes and actiave the Halos and wipe out all life or that Master Chief chooses to go against Cotrana's predictions, and let the human race die with a whimper as the Flood overrun the galaxy.

Other than that, no, not really that interested in Halo. :)
 mimartin
08-27-2007, 3:27 PM
I'll get Halo 3 more to close out the franchise than anything else. I loved the first one, but the second did not appeal to me. I don’t know if my taste have charge or why, but it just didn’t hold my attention like the first one. It was a great game; I just did not find it all that much fun to continue to play after finishing the first play through.

Like Commander Obi-Wan, I’m more looking towards November and Mass Effect's release.
 Pho3nix
08-27-2007, 3:36 PM
I might get it for the PC later on...if they convert it.

I've never been a big fan of the Halo-games, they're overrated in my opinion.
 SithRevan
08-28-2007, 2:51 AM
:lol: I preordered it almost half a year ago.

I can't wait to see it!:D
 Rogue15 Fan
08-28-2007, 3:27 AM
I might get it for the PC later on...if they convert it.

I've never been a big fan of the Halo-games, they're overrated in my opinion.

A good type of overrated! lol and yeah i hate the flood i hope you dont have to deal with them alot in Halo 3...so annoying!
 Sabretooth
08-28-2007, 8:34 AM
Seeing as I'm still not even remotely interested in consoles, I will not be buying Halo 3. Until, of course, it comes out for the PC.
 adamqd
08-28-2007, 2:21 PM
I didn't play 1 or 2, have no intention of playing 3 :)
 SilentScope001
08-28-2007, 3:31 PM
A good type of overrated! lol and yeah i hate the flood i hope you dont have to deal with them alot in Halo 3...so annoying!

I actually like the Flood. Killing Covenant forces is far too...shall I say...boring. It's too cliche to be battling against aliens, I can do that in most other space FPSes.

Now, killing Flood/"Space Zombies", that I rarely see. And the Flood really is far more important in the Storyline of Halo than the Covenant are. I hope we see more Flood than we see Covenant.
 stoffe
08-28-2007, 3:53 PM
I actually like the Flood. Killing Covenant forces is far too...shall I say...boring. It's too cliche to be battling against aliens, I can do that in most other space FPSes.

Now, killing Flood/"Space Zombies", that I rarely see. And the Flood really is far more important in the Storyline of Halo than the Covenant are. I hope we see more Flood than we see Covenant.

Aren't The Flood aliens? :) They looked pretty alien to me at least. I didn't find them all that original either, they reminded me a whole lot about The Many in System Shock 2, parasite infested mutant zombies that are controlled by a collective consciousness.

I've only played Halo (not Halo 2) so I don't know if it was better there, but in the first game the Flood got pretty annoying after a while since they're a bit too much "in your face" in their tactics for my liking, and they all fought pretty much the same. Mindless head-on assault, no morale, no concern for their own safety.

At least the Conenant forces were a bit more varied in that regard since they had morale and sometimes decided to flee if they took a beating or many of their comrades were killed. They'd dive for cover if you attacked them or if you dropped their energy shields, and sometimes try to split up, sneak around and try to ambush you. That, and the sniper rifle worked on them. Quite annoying that it did nothing at all against Flood forms. IMO they should have allowed you to take out the parasite with a well-aimed sniper shot. :)

Seeing as I'm still not even remotely interested in consoles, I will not be buying Halo 3. Until, of course, it comes out for the PC.

If that happened you'd probably have to give your firstborn as collateral to Microsoft as part of the trend of ever more invasive copy protection DRM schemes on PC games. :)
 SilentScope001
08-28-2007, 4:06 PM
Aren't The Flood aliens? They looked pretty alien to me at least. I didn't find them all that original either, they reminded me a whole lot about The Many in System Shock 2, parasite infested mutant zombies that are controlled by a collective consciousness.

As I am planning on getting System Shock 2 later on, good to let me know about The Many. I think I might enjoy The Many much more than The Flood.

I am thinking more about the storyline impact of the Flood, especially of the Forerunners creating the Halos to contain and eventually destroy the Flood if they escape. When actually battling them in-game, I admit that they are...well...not that fun. :) I still rather like The Flood though, for story purposes. Guess I'm the only Flood Fan here.

I haven't seen the Flood in H2, but it seems that the Flood now have access to guns and can drive vechiles as well.
 mimartin
08-28-2007, 4:19 PM
Aren't The Flood aliens?
I took the Flood to be more of a virus or parasites that took over control of both Covenant and Human Forces. Unsure if that is correct as it has been years since I played Halo.

I pretty much agree with your opinion of Halo.
 stoffe
08-28-2007, 4:22 PM
especially of the Forerunners creating the Halos to contain and eventually destroy the Flood if they escape. When actually battling them in-game

That part of the Halo story never made much sense to me, why they'd build some massive weapons of mass destruction that wipe out all life in the galaxy except the Flood, conveniently, as a weapon to combat the Flood. The weapon was deployed but the Flood was still alive and kicking, after all. :)

And even if it had been successful in wiping out the Flood it would be a rather Pyrrhic victory if everyone else dies in the process as well. Why is mass suicide preferable to being killed by the Flood? They'd be dead either way. :)
 SilentScope001
08-28-2007, 6:22 PM
The weapon was deployed but the Flood was still alive and kicking, after all.

On second thought, it might have been a bit smarter to have the Halos blow up AFTER they wiped out all intelligent life, so that they can also wipe out the Flood species that are imprisoned on Halo as well.

And even if it had been successful in wiping out the Flood it would be a rather Pyrrhic victory if everyone else dies in the process as well. Why is mass suicide preferable to being killed by the Flood? They'd be dead either way.

The difference being that all unintelligent life can surivie. Intelligent Life would be wiped out anyway if the Flood takes over the galaxy, but then there is no chance for Intelligent Life to reinstall itself. The Forerunners killed themselves to stop the Flood in order to ensure that both the Covenant and the Humans are able to evolve into intelligent beings. So, it's not that Phyrric a victory you claim it to be. But eh...

I just want a big boom, okay? :)
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-28-2007, 6:54 PM
I pre-ordered the Legendary Version, can't wait to get it!
 stoffe
08-28-2007, 7:18 PM
The difference being that all unintelligent life can surivie. Intelligent Life would be wiped out anyway if the Flood takes over the galaxy, but then there is no chance for Intelligent Life to reinstall itself. The Forerunners killed themselves to stop the Flood in order to ensure that both the Covenant and the Humans are able to evolve into intelligent beings. So, it's not that Phyrric a victory you claim it to be. But eh...

The flood didn't seem all that interested in possessing non-sentients anyway, though perhaps they'd fall back to that if they had no other options. Still, you'd think someone with the tech to build the Halos could come up with a less drastic solution of exterminating an infestation. Though I suppose the Flood are the cockroaches of the Halo universe, you can't get rid of them no matter what you do. I'd say killing off your whole civilization to defeat an enemy is a pretty Phyrric victory. Another such victory and they were indeed undone. :)

Though I got the impression that the Forerunner species aren't dead, and that the humand didn't evolve... But rather that the humans devolved from Forerunners into humans. Why else would that annoying monitor bot identify the Master Chief as a Reclaimer?
 JoeDoe 2.0
08-28-2007, 7:24 PM
I have also been wandering about the human/Forerunner relationship since I saw the Halo 3 trailer. I thought that the Forerunners activated the rings, but a few survived on some SHIELD World (like the one from "Halo: Ghosts of Onyx" book) and when back to the main base (aka Earth, since it holds THE ARK) The HALO Installations only wipe out life forms capable of sustaining the Flood. I guess everything will be revealed at the end of the game.
 SilentScope001
08-28-2007, 7:24 PM
Though I got the impression that the Forerunner species aren't dead, and that the humand didn't evolve... But rather that the humans devolved from Forerunners into humans. Why else would that annoying monitor bot identify the Master Chief as a Reclaimer?

Appernatly the monitor bot also grants the Reclaimer title to the Brutes and the Artibter as well, in order to get them to activate Halos (or he only grant the the titles to Humans and Artibters, and the Brutes were there to ensure that the Halos get activated...). Maybe the Covenant and the Humans are both childern of the Forerunners...or more likely, he's just an annoying monitor bot who's just want to activate the Halos by lying. :)

Small tangent here...what if the Covenant's religion is right? What if the activation of Halo really do send them to Heaven? Anyway, we better stop or we'd appear to be Halo fans arguing, when we're really K3 fans bored at K3 not coming out. :)
Page: 1 of 1