Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modding possible?

Page: 1 of 1
 spaceholder999
06-10-2007, 9:32 AM
Short question: Is modding possible for this game?
 CLONECOMMANDER501
06-15-2007, 9:58 PM
No, and I doubt there are people still playing this game.
 Gargoyle King
06-17-2007, 5:51 PM
No, and I doubt there are people still playing this game.I still play it, it's a good game (albeit an underrated one). It might be possible to mod in the PC version of TPM but i haven't come across any.....
 spaceholder999
06-18-2007, 5:24 AM
Oh well.

I read that Zanzibar (Correct name, huh?) said that he couldn't release the source files and mod tools... But that was back in 2002. Not it's 2007! If the company (Big Ape) still has the files, is it POSSIBLE that they could release 'em? I have loved this game since I was a little kid, and modding would be a big plus! :D
 spaceholder999
08-09-2007, 4:58 AM
I looked in the TPM Manual and spotted Zanzibar's real name... Ray West. Do you guys think it's possible to find him somewhere on the net? If we could find him, do you think he can release the files (If he still has them)...?
 Master Qui-Gon
03-16-2008, 2:20 PM
He wouldn't have the rights to release it himself. Maybe you can figure it out on your own. I doubt anyone would really care if you did modify the game...
 spaceholder999
04-06-2008, 9:28 AM
True words. :)

In one of the game's folders, I found a very intresting package called "BIG.Z". 77 MB and it would not surprise me at all if it contained the game's models and textures (Because you can find the sound files, the map files (et cetera) in other folders).

I'll maybe look into this. You never know where it could go...
 Alexrd
04-06-2008, 3:12 PM
Did you open it? If yes, what it contains?
By the way, I've forgot to give you Zanzibar e-mail: west@bigape.com
 spaceholder999
04-07-2008, 12:58 AM
After reading some in some old topics on the board I've achieved quite useful information.

The BIG.Z folder does contain models, but they are not that useful for us who wants to mod the game. If you changed the Qui-Gon model to the Jar-Jar model (for example), the game would probably crash - because the Jar-Jar model doesn't have the same animations like the Qui-Gon model.

Since the company Big Ape doesn't exist anymore, I don't think Zanzibar use the west@bigape.com mail these days, since it was his job mail. Our only chance for real contact would be if we could get his personal mail somehow.

If we could get in touch with the guy, we must keep in mind that it's one HELLUVA chance that he doesn't own the source files anymore. Well, you never know... maybe they are saved somewhere...
 JoesGuy
01-30-2009, 2:08 PM
Well we can still hope, for now. I'm content with the Darth Maul and Mace Windu model changes. ;P
 Darth Avlectus
03-18-2009, 12:23 AM
I agree, the PC version possibly...

Well, to my knowledge talking about rom images and emulators is okay here on LF provided you have the legal requirements to possess a rom image (the game that the rom is actually OF). It might not be all that different from modding a PC version.

If you managed to get a proper emulator with a rom image (I'm assuming you HAVE the game so this is all legal) and a bit of programs...decompliers/compilers, script tools, resource editor stuff, graphics programs, etc., then I suppose you could remodel TPM.

It's an icky process, but I think it would achieve more or less what you'd want it to do.

Just my 2 cents.
 Redwing
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
For the record I'd love to see this. >.>
 JoesGuy
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
As would I, but this kind of thing would take a good while I imagine.
 Alexrd
04-06-2009, 7:04 AM
I think all of you would be glad to know that I've managed to talk to Zanzibar a week ago. Now I'm just waiting for an answer.
 JoesGuy
04-06-2009, 7:28 AM
Perhaps not that much of a while after all. :D
 Darth Avlectus
04-16-2009, 12:51 AM
KEWL
 Alfa_One
07-25-2009, 3:22 PM
They lost all the modding tools. Only a kind of "hacker" would be able to create some tools again for modify this game, and I dont know nothing about Reverse Engineering. The question is open, what can we do?.
 Alexrd
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Right now, I'm making a translation mod of all the subtitles and text boxes, including buttons and menus to portuguese. As for skin/models modding I think it would be more difficult, since I can't find a way to open the textures and all.
 Visas
11-03-2009, 9:26 AM
It would be great if someone could make a Darth Maul skin to play as or something.
 Alexrd
11-05-2009, 2:20 PM
It would be great if someone could make a Darth Maul skin to play as or something.

But there is.
 Visas
11-05-2009, 3:47 PM
But there is.

Yes I found out. Unfortunately I don't have the disc anymore.
 Alfa_One
12-09-2009, 8:00 AM
If you are speaking about the Zanzibar's Darth Maul, I can send it to you, I have the Mace Windu skin too. Good luck.
 Alexrd
12-09-2009, 6:08 PM
If you are speaking about the Zanzibar's Darth Maul, I can send it to you, I have the Mace Windu skin too. Good luck.

Still, Visas needs the disc.
 Alfa_One
12-21-2009, 5:49 AM
Give me your e-mail and I send it to you Visas, or anyone who want it. Are you trying to do somethings with this game or it is only for play?.
 Cyborg Maul
12-03-2014, 3:36 AM
I think all of you would be glad to know that I've managed to talk to Zanzibar a week ago. Now I'm just waiting for an answer.

I know its been nearly six years since this has got any attention. I start off simply by saying I have have been piecing together a huge sandbox Star Wars total conversion. I have converted many maps from Bf2 to kotor to the jk games. I have also made many models myself and gathered from hundreds of concepts. I am hugely obsessed with this project and it is massive. I have enjoyed working on this silent project through the years and I cant wait to soon release it to the public. I know it will be very much enjoyed. I remember playing TPM what was it 15 years ago.... wow has it really been that long? Anyway I loved the prequel trilogy and even know this game wasn't 100% synced to the movie it did follow the story. It was one of if not the best sw game I have ever played. Tattooine being my favorite planet and mos espa being my favorite level in TPM, My tc mod is to begin based on there (just as the original Star Wars). I yern to convert the ESPA.B3D into a useable model or even access the big.lab file to see what it contains. Yet through the years as much as ive tried and enough modeling software and plugins to fill a Cray Supercomputer with no avail. I wish I could find a tool for TPM to extract models and textures yet I know this feat is next to impossible.
Could you help me in anyway possible? Have you been able to contact Zanzibar at all this whole time? What would be your suggestions to me?
 Alexrd
12-03-2014, 2:40 PM
Have you been able to contact Zanzibar at all this whole time?

Unfortunately he only replied to me once and never replied back.

I can help with whatever I can, but it's not much. All I've managed to edit from the game was the dialogue.
 Cyborg Maul
12-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately he only replied to me once and never replied back.

I can help with whatever I can, but it's not much. All I've managed to edit from the game was the dialogue.

What did he say the one time you reached him?
Ha! I used to remember getting chased by the Gamorrean guards in Mos Espa.
Grr! Your a no good killer! I would love those files in my tc I am interested. Im also interested in the models of Mace, Obi-Wan, and Maul Zanzibar made when he was testing the scraped multiplayer mod he was working on if you have them. It would be nice if I could find the source code of the mp mod. I know it was never publicly released though. I still wish I could extract Mos Espa or even more. Ive thought of even wondering the game mapping down every single object and texture and building them myself. Kind of a reverse engineer in a way though this would take an extensive amount of work and it will not be 100% authentic from the game which is what im looking for. I truly want it bad enough to do so.
 LukasTom
12-30-2014, 1:10 PM
Oh, i think that he is still here, but not so active anymore. The last time i spoke to him was 04-17-2014, 03:25 PM, trough the message box. We were talking about that extra models he did and about the late developement of the game.
 florida
01-16-2015, 2:42 PM
I still think sometimes about what would be modded in the game, especially when you look at the huge number of mods for games like Jedi Outcast. Here's some things that would probably be modded, in my opinion:

Graphics: despite the fact it came out in 1999 I still think it looks pretty alright at the high settings. I'm not sure I'd want someone to do an HD update of the graphics, but some texture improvements here and there wouldn't go amiss. Those blocks everyone has for hands could certainly be improved!

Enemies: at a basic level simply adding more enemies to levels to make it more difficult would be good news for us experienced players who frankly know the location of every battle droid already! Perhaps it would be possible to change patrol patters or even make the behaviour more random to improve replayability?

Levels: adding and expanding the already existing levels would, of course, be one of the first things done. What if there were more trade options in Mos Espa where you could get genuinly useful items like the personal shield generator or weapons? I'd love Coruscant to have a longer section in the upper and market areas - I feel the level spends too long going through underworld tunnels with annoying enemies you can barely see. What other things would people add/change?

Items: alter/improve the weapons? The light repeating blaster, unless you use the cheat, is pretty useless as it does so little damage I find. Add some more items like the personal shield throughout the game.

Any other things people would want modded? We can only dream, sadly, but it's still fun to think of it. Has anyone tried getting in contact with Lucasarts directly about it?
 florida
01-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I have sent an email to ask/beg for the modding tools - will be interesting to see what the reply is.

If anyone else wants to (to show I'm not alone!) I used the form on this page: http://help.disney.com/Games/Lucasfilm)

Near the bottom of the page on the right hand side, the Contact Us button.
 Alexrd
01-17-2015, 10:49 AM
I have sent an email to ask/beg for the modding tools - will be interesting to see what the reply is.

Why would they suddenly release private tools (from Big Ape, which doesn't exist anymore) for a 15 year-old game? It won't happen.
 florida
01-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Why would they suddenly release private tools (from Big Ape, which doesn't exist anymore) for a 15 year-old game? It won't happen.

Almost certainly they won't, though never hurts to ask.
 Alexrd
01-19-2015, 9:57 AM
Almost certainly they won't, though never hurts to ask.

Sure, just saying to not get your hopes up.
 florida
01-21-2015, 9:37 AM
The only progress I've made is accessing the contents of the big.lab file

It contains .baf files which look to be character models, sound effects, pictures and .spr files (not sure what they are).

I can't find a way to open the bad files to have a look and possibly edit them yet, but it's a start!
 LukasTom
01-21-2015, 5:36 PM
Enemies: at a basic level simply adding more enemies to levels to make it more difficult would be good news for us experienced players who frankly know the location of every battle droid already! Perhaps it would be possible to change patrol patters or even make the behaviour more random to improve replayability?

It is possible to change difficulty setting by a cheat combination. :D

Press backspace while in game and type in

"i rule the world", then "i stink", then again "i stink" to get Hard difficulty.

"i rule the world", then "i stink", to get even harder difficulty.

"i rule the world", to get Very Hard difficulty.

What it does is increasing enemies damage by 33 %, but remeber the game changes difficulty, depending on how well youre doing in the game. If you die many times, game might set it to default, so in every level you must type those cheats again.
 florida
01-22-2015, 11:49 AM
It is possible to change difficulty setting by a cheat combination. :D

Press backspace while in game and type in

"i rule the world", then "i stink", then again "i stink" to get Hard difficulty.

"i rule the world", then "i stink", to get even harder difficulty.

"i rule the world", to get Very Hard difficulty.

What it does is increasing enemies damage by 33 %, but remeber the game changes difficulty, depending on how well youre doing in the game. If you die many times, game might set it to default, so in every level you must type those cheats again.

Interesting stuff. I found recently about the damage file in the big.lab file where you can edit the damage of any weapon in the game. Some of the descriptions of the weapons are clear but some aren't! I'm currently experimenting to work out which is which.
 Cyborg Maul
02-09-2015, 3:47 PM
The only progress I've made is accessing the contents of the big.lab file

It contains .baf files which look to be character models, sound effects, pictures and .spr files (not sure what they are).

I can't find a way to open the bad files to have a look and possibly edit them yet, but it's a start!

how did you manage to access the big.lab file contents? :confused:
 SkyEye
02-10-2015, 3:50 PM
how did you manage to access the big.lab file contents? :confused:

Theres a file somewhere that allows to unpack and pack.

And yes its possible to change the text/audiio
 Zanzibar
02-10-2015, 3:53 PM
To be honest I'd like more information on the big.lab contents, can you share what you know here?

I'd like to load some of the .b3d files to make sure I know what's involved before releasing the obi.exe stuff. However, all I have are some test levels instead of the full TPM levels.

EDIT: Woops, heh, the .b3d files aren't packed in with big.lab. They're separately part of the level folder within gamedata. Never mind!
 Alexrd
02-10-2015, 6:29 PM
And yes its possible to change the text/audiio

Indeed. Once I was about to make a full translation.
 SkyEye
02-10-2015, 6:35 PM
Indeed. Once I was about to make a full translation.

Can we replace all the Obi audio with Arnold voices?

LOL
Im up for that project :D
 Cyborg Maul
02-10-2015, 6:44 PM

Rarrrgggg Blast Them! Rarrrggg :p funny stuff
http://www.starwarscats.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Cats-with-lightsabers-41.jpg)
 Alexrd
02-10-2015, 6:45 PM

I was talking about the subtitles. ;)
 SkyEye
02-10-2015, 7:11 PM
I was talking about the subtitles. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ybg017D-k)

Theres tons of soundboards that we could use.
 florida
02-14-2015, 3:11 PM
To be honest I'd like more information on the big.lab contents, can you share what you know here?

I'd like to load some of the .b3d files to make sure I know what's involved before releasing the obi.exe stuff. However, all I have are some test levels instead of the full TPM levels.

EDIT: Woops, heh, the .b3d files aren't packed in with big.lab. They're separately part of the level folder within gamedata. Never mind!

I used the Resource File Creator Dumper to open it. You can dump all the contents elsewhere on your computer to look at.

http://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/resource-file-creator-and-dumper)
Page: 1 of 1