Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TFU for PC?

Page: 2 of 4
 mattclary
07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
1. Next year when this comes out, PCs will be even more powerful than they are today.

2. Guess what they are coding (and probably testing) this game on? A PC.

3. It will be released for PC, but it will come out 3-6 months after the major release. Worst case, in time for Xmas of '08.
 Shadow Talon
07-26-2007, 5:04 PM
I agree on this. This is a very possible scenario due to the PC software companies continual struggle to survive in the heavy storm of consoles.
Optimists:1 Pessimists:0
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
2. Guess what they are coding (and probably testing) this game on? A PC.

Of course they'll be coding it on PC, but testing TFU on it? WTF?

Yes it's not just graphics that have to be addressed, it's porting for a start which is always an expensive business and porting would require a complete refigurement of the controls to fit the format and parts o the game would have to be redesigned (control tutorials etc). making the initial game project more time-consuming and expensive. I think this is the key reason why LA decided not to release for PC, as they weighed out the pros & cons of doing so and the cons came out on top.

This game may be eventually released to PC as well... In time, when they look at the sales and consider that its worth the shot. If Capcom was the one making that game, we wouldn't have to worry about that (he he, RE 4).
 Kurgan
07-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Hmmm, no offense LA, but I could buy a new next gen console and get this game, OR I could upgrade my pc and be able to play more good games. Oh well...

If they're making a PS2 version there's no reason why they can't make a PC version, except that they won't be able to charge $50-60 for it for virtually its entire shelf life.

LA has released some decent PC games lately, but it seems all the "wizz bang cool" titles lately have all been next gen console. Still, it remains to be seen if this is any fun to play. It looks cool, but as we all know looks can be decieving.

Ah well, if I see the in-store demo I'll give it a whirl! I've longed for a "Dark Jedi" game for years (since 1998). It's too bad PC users will have to wait...
 Char Ell
07-28-2007, 12:51 AM
If they're making a PS2 version there's no reason why they can't make a PC versionI agree with your reasoning however TFU's Project Lead doesn't see it that way. :smirk2:
While The Force Unleashed will be coming to higher-end consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, there will be no Wii or PC versions for the time being. "At this time, we are not planning a PC release," said Blackman. He said that current PC hardware constraints would prevent the game from reaching a broad audience and added, "The minimum spec for a PC version right now is just too high." Source: TGDaily (http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32228/98/)
 Ztalker
07-28-2007, 7:52 AM
Ehm...I hear people screaming about hardware requirements, duel-cores and all.
That's a bit strange, since the game will be released on the Playstation 2 as well.* No other team is hired to do that (as far as I know). That means the engine is quit good in matters of system requirements. If it runs on the Playstation 2, I'm sure it will run on most home computers.

*=Gamespot list: http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search%3Bbutton&om_act=convert&om_clk=search&qs=Force+Unleashed)

I don't mean to...brag or anything, but I think TFU won't require that much of processor power. I mean, Crysis minimum requirements are a 3 gigaherz processor. And I think Crysis looks better then TFU.

To conclude: Since the engine lends itself for a PS2 version, why not port it to the PC? Just make it run on the standard home systems and include some insane bloom and graphic options for those who have a new duel core at home. :)
 Kurgan
07-28-2007, 9:18 AM
Heh, I see, it's coming to PSP and DS as well. Yes, those requirements must be FAR too high... (sarcasm). ;)

Perhaps they're too lazy to input the ability to dial down the graphics and such? (if the PS2 version will be significantly dumbed down to the point where it would be crappy on the PC; by a side by side comparison is needed for the other two versions and the PS2)

Or worse, perhaps they fear this is a title PC gamers wouldn't care for... (Episode III game, anyone?)

How amazing could this game be that the PC min. requirements in a year would be "just too high"? It's not like those consoles are going to increase in power in a year...
 Alegis
07-28-2007, 8:06 PM
I'll be disappointed if this doesn't hit PC, won't play it otherwise I'm afraid.
 Zenthie
07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Don't worry, it will come for PC. After the console release.
 mattclary
07-30-2007, 1:16 PM
Of course they'll be coding it on PC, but testing TFU on it? WTF?

I can't guarantee they will be doing a lot of testing on the PC, but I guarantee you the game runs on a PC TODAY. They are writing this game for every platform under the sun, it is logical that most of that development is being done on the swiss army knife of media creation, the PC.

And before compiling and building for all those platforms, I am sure it runs on the same PC it was coded on.

I'm searching for references now...

Here is some:

Xenon Development Kit
The Xenon development environment follows the same model as for Xbox.
Game development occurs on the PC. The resulting executable image is
loaded by the Xenon development kit and remotely debugged on the PC.
MS® Visual Studio® version 7.1 continues as the development
environment for Xenon.

The Xenon compiler is based on a custom PowerPC back end and the
latest MS® Visual C++® front end. The back end uses technology
developed at MS for Windows NT on PowerPC. The Xenon software group
includes a dedicated team of compiler engineers updating the compiler
to support Xenon-specific CPU extensions. This team is also heavily
focused on optimization work.
The Xenon development kit will include accurate DVD emulation
technology to allow developers to very precisely gauge the effects of
the retail console disc drive.

http://answers.tveasy.co.uk/u.g.v.xbox/LXX2-hardware-o.htm)
 jessefett
08-04-2007, 3:33 AM
sorry dumb question, but whats the genre? fps, tps, rpg? I'm only interested if its fps or rpg, or has Boba Fett. I dont really care if its graphics had to be lowerd for the pc, its not about graphics its about game play. It could have N64 graphics and I would still play it as long as it had a good story and game play. hmph they really need to start kotor3.
 Ztalker
08-04-2007, 6:49 AM
It will be a third person saber action game. It looks similar to the Jedi Knight series. A similar RPG element will be there too, your powers will increase over time. So a mixture of your two favourite genres...:)

Hmmm...Boba Fett. Could be...he's supposed to have a role in the tv series as well, which takes place in the same timeline as the game...
 Negative Sun
08-04-2007, 7:55 AM
Unless it's got the exact same controls as JK I fear it wouldn't be suitable for PC in that way (like Episode III as someone mentioned above), I know I wouldn't want to play it for PC if the controls suck...

I've seen it for Devil May Cry 3, it's an amazing game for the PS2, but it sucks on PC unless you've got a gamepad, and what's the point in that?

How amazing could this game be that the PC min. requirements in a year would be "just too high"? It's not like those consoles are going to increase in power in a year...
My thoughts exactly!
 Kurgan
08-04-2007, 1:08 PM
Unless it's got the exact same controls as JK I fear it wouldn't be suitable for PC in that way (like Episode III as someone mentioned above), I know I wouldn't want to play it for PC if the controls suck...

I've seen it for Devil May Cry 3, it's an amazing game for the PS2, but it sucks on PC unless you've got a gamepad, and what's the point in that?

Well unless it's optimized for the Wii, there's no control setup it could have that wouldn't carry over to the PC.

The PC has the ability to use a larger variety of controllers than any console on the market to date. A lot of "console ports" of games have been released in the past that sucked with mouse and keyboard and really forced you to use a gamepad, but that's fine.

I remember back in the early days of pc gaming (well, early days for me, early 90's) when games sucked with keyboard, so you always had to buy a gravis gamepad or offbrand imitator or flightstick to make it play decently.

I don't see owning a gamepay to play a pc game as a big handicap. It's not like they're that expensive, and once you have one (a good one) you can play all your games with it. I own two gamepads that I've had since 1998, and I still use them to play various games on my pc. There's also adaptors you can buy that hookup all sorts of console controllers to your pc, from NES to Xbox.

The only way a console port of a game to the PC will suck is if they make no effort to take advantage of the more powerful/expandable PC format, or deliberately dumb the game down (as they apparently did with Spider-Man: The Movie 2 for the PC).
 Gargoyle King
08-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I've seen it for Devil May Cry 3, it's an amazing game for the PS2, but it sucks on PC unless you've got a gamepad, and what's the point in that?I seen a copy of that in GAME a few weeks back for the PC, i almost cryed, :lol: It should've been DMC II ported to the PC, that game kinda sucked but numero 3 was a good installment in the series.
 LordSerion
08-10-2007, 6:09 AM
I really hope they'll make it on PC as well. Actually, there's a petition for it (I've already signed it). I belive, they will release it, but perhaps 1-2 years later.
 Zenthie
08-10-2007, 9:02 AM
They will.
 neal8929
08-11-2007, 9:08 PM
If they do make a PC version, I really hope they don't try to make it depend on Physics cards. Most new PCs have dual cores, if they take advantage of that mixed in with a nice graphics card a PC can handle it. And remember, what really takes the most processing power is quantity. From the screenshots I didn't see more than maybe 5 bad guys on screen at a time, if it was like 50 or more, that might be a problem.
 jordie8472
08-21-2007, 8:13 PM
I'm gonna wind up getting it for PS2. No next gen for me...

Though I would love a PC version over a PS2 version.
 Ztalker
08-22-2007, 3:24 AM
A Playstation 2 version...it still grinds my gears. In the developer diary they say something like:
"In 2004, we started planning to make a new Star Wars game for the next generation of consoles."

So we leave the Next generation of PC's (with Vista that already supports most of the X-Box 360 stuff) and bring it to the even newer console, the PS2! We know the PS2 is famous for it's graphics. :xp:

But seriously, Cold Planet, Gears of War and several other stuff has proven you can port stuff farely easily between the X-Box 360 and the PC. Not to mention Shadowrun, a game that 'connects' both consoles.
Why they take the extra difficulty to make a PS2 version instead of a PC version is strange.

The only logical reason would be money. But aren't there more people with a PC then a PS2? :(
 LordSerion
08-22-2007, 3:33 AM
Yes, you are correct, Ztalker.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-22-2007, 7:44 PM
75 percent of you guys are probably PC-only gamers, well I think TFU would be kinda wierd on PC. I hope this dosen't create a horde of angry PC star wars fans at Lucasarts.
 Char Ell
08-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I hope this dosen't create a horde of angry PC star wars fans at Lucasarts. Heh. You hope it doesn't create an angry horde of PC gamers? I think it has already happened.
:mob:
 RellioN
08-23-2007, 5:30 AM
I don't like playing games on a console... I certainly hope that they bring it out on the PC and if they don't, I'll just go play the game at a friend or something.
 Miltiades
08-23-2007, 8:54 PM
Heh. You hope it doesn't create an angry horde of PC gamers? I think it has already happened.
:mob:

It think so too, and understandable to say the least. Of all the games LucasArts is developing or publishing, only Thrillville: Off the Rails will be for PC (although Lego: Indiana Jones is still TBA). Not very exciting. And I think The Force Unleashed would perfectly fit on the PC, even more so than on any of the consoles.

It's even more frustrating to see LucasArts coming up with this new engine, these exciting games and all of that, and you, as PC Gamer, are being left behind with an empty hand.
 Shadow Talon
08-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I too agree on this.
So....
Can anyone make a C4?
:)
 darthjantom
08-26-2007, 3:53 PM
I will only play the game if it will be released for the PC. If not, then that will be a loss for LA.
 Vadarios
08-29-2007, 8:50 AM
Coding and design can be done on a PC without it being playable on a PC. They likely have test boxes set up to test on different platforms. Not to mention the systems they use for testing are likely not the same thing as we have for PC's.

Just for poops and giggles, here's a possible reason they wouldn't make the game for PC's first. With the consoles, the hardware is static. One console from one household is the same as the one in the next household. My neighbor and I have a console (for the sake of argument lets say X360) and they are exactly the same. We have PC's as well. My PC has a radeon X1650 Soundblaster Audigy2ZS, Intel Core2Duo. His has a GeForce 8000 Realtek AC2 and AMD64. He's running XP, I'm running Vista(which isn't true, I'm running Ubuntu, which means most PC games are out of the question but meh). If you design a game for the console you only have one set of hardware to consider. One very specific setup. If you design a PC game, you have to take into account various hardware, with varying revision levels, countless combinations, and compatability issues.
 Ztalker
08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
All you say is true....

But wouldn't porting to a much, much weaker console (PS2) take as much time?
The DS is another case. The whole game will probably be made by a whole differant team, with all the possibilities of the handheld included. (The DS being capable of Nintendo 64 Graphics).
But why get another team to downscale all technology, textures overall coolness for the PS2?

Doing this for the PC would provide much more benefit.

In short, they're now 'doing' this (I think):
-1 Team designs TFU for the next gen consoles
-1 Team takes the storyline blueprints and works on a DS version (probably with the engine of that Twilek-game). They do this with Mercenaries 2 as well. A whole team is working on a seperate version for the PS2.
- 1 whole team is downgrading the Next Gen version for the PS2

And that's what I don't understand.
If you take a single team to make a PS2 version (since there is no way the PS2 can give the same gameplay and graphical experience as the next-gen versions), why not give that team the mission to create a...let's say..current/next-gen version of the game that can turn on most PC systems. You will reach far more customers with that then with a PS2 game, because face it: The die-hard games will already have bought a new next-gen console (expecially since they went down in price) or have a brand new Vista computer standing at home, because all the standard systems come with that.
What is the...group they are trying to market here?
The 8 yeard old Sly the Racoon gamers who haven't upgraded yet? The six-year olds who got the PS2 console last Christmas from their parents?
 PoiuyWired
08-29-2007, 6:17 PM
Actually, the team wotking for PSP is basically the team working for PS2. :)

But I won't call PS2 anything close to NextGen... over my cold dead medium rare body.
 Negative Sun
08-29-2007, 6:38 PM
The 8 yeard old Sly the Racoon gamers who haven't upgraded yet? The six-year olds who got the PS2 console last Christmas from their parents?
The hard-working people who are still satisfied with a PS2 and don't want to fork out for a stupid 360 and can't afford a PS3 yet...
I got a PS2 last Xmas for my fiancee because it's by far still the best console out there (except for the Wii maybe), with the best selection of games (DMC, MGS2, Onimusha, Guitar Hero, etc...)

The PS2 graphics are still being pushed to the limit to this day, and it still amazes me what developers manage to squeeze out of this "outdated" machine...
 Ztalker
08-30-2007, 7:04 AM
I'm not trying to insult anyone, I don't even own a next-gen console, nor the Playstation2, or a 'uber pwnage' next gen computer. Just a mere Gamecube and a...'medium' computer. :(

It's just a mere observation of my part. Of course the Playstation has huge fanbase (110 million sold consoles worldwide?), but that doesn't justify releasing TFU for it.

My point is that the die hard gamers already bought an X-360 for Halo 3, Gears of War, Project Gotham, hell let's throw in the new GTA. And face it: TFU isn't made for the casual gamers. It's not like you can kill all thos Stormtroopers by buttonbashing or sweeping with the Wii-mote. :xp:

Again, no offense to the PS2; it's a very good console and has been out there for almost ten years. Of course it has had 'next-gen content' like God of War recently. I can understand why a PS2 would be a better buy then a PS3 or a X-Box 360, just because of the massive amount of games and third party support, just like you said. But the fact remains: TFU is 'created' for the PS3 and X-Box 360. Those are the consoles with the third-party support right now and will still have it in the future. EA all the way. :)

I just don't think it's justified to release it on the PS2. You wouldn't hear me complain if it was released for the original X-Box, Gamecube or Wii. With it; it's the same group of people who haven't upgraded, or, like you said and like myself, are satisfied with their current console.

But to me, as a Nintendo gamer and owner of a 'standard' computer, there is no way I can play this game, whilst the owners of an in power similar console (PS2-Gamecube-Computer?) like yourself get all the benefit.

So, again I ask: What goal is there to release the game for the PS2? I sincerely believe that most of the 110 million PS2 owners will have a PC that's stronger then that console, or have bought a new console already.
 Char Ell
08-30-2007, 8:38 AM
So, again I ask: What goal is there to release the game for the PS2? I sincerely believe that most of the 110 million PS2 owners will have a PC that's stronger then that console, or have bought a new console already.I haven't bothered researching the actual console total unit sales figures but if there are 110 million PS2's out there then those are 110 million reasons why LucasArts should support the PS2. IIRC the PS2 was the clear winner in the previous generation of consoles with by far the largest installed base.

Of course I really wonder how TFU on PS2 will compare in features to TFU on PS3 and Xbox 360. If DMM and euphoria really needed the processing power available in the new consoles before they could become reality then I don't see how PS2 will be able to support LucasArts' highly touted game technologies. IMO it's likely PS2 owners will get an experience either without these features or with watered down versions of DMM and euphoria.
 Shadow Talon
09-03-2007, 12:20 PM
So you are saying owners of a next gen consoles will have trash just to make them buy a PC so they can enjoy completely TFU on it (if they release one for PC)?
That is evil.
 Lantzen
09-18-2007, 8:41 AM
So, what do you think. It aint announced for PC, but to you think it will be ? Il think it will be sooner or later, alot of the greater game to console get to PC, some maybe a year later, other many years later. What do you think of Unleashed ?
 Jeff
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I honestly do not think it will be announced for PC. The reason they gave is because not enough PCs would be able to handle the specs. I think by the time enough PCs will be able to, LucasArts would have been moved on to other games.
 stoffe
09-18-2007, 1:08 PM
I honestly do not think it will be announced for PC. The reason they gave is because not enough PCs would be able to handle the specs. I think by the time enough PCs will be able to, LucasArts would have been moved on to other games.

You'd think they could market it to the hardcore FPS crowd at least. The people who buy computers to be able to play Crysis or similar games should have good enough computers to handle Force Unleashed as well, unless it's very poorly optimized?

Apparently they are numerous enough to make it profitable to make those games, and since Force Unleashed is an action game and not an RPG they might be interested in it. :)

In my entirely uninformed opinion it sounds like nothing but a poor excuse. Especially with the Playstation 2 version, which would be equivalent of 2002 PC hardware, or Wii version, which I doubt would be more powerful than your average gaming PC.
 Jae Onasi
09-18-2007, 1:27 PM
merged the thread "Force Unleashed to PC" with this thread since both are about the same thing. :)
 Lantzen
09-18-2007, 1:55 PM
Il really think the DirectX10 cards could handle the game, well not evry person have one but in a few years most gamers probaly have it, they will need to have it to follow up with the PC market.

And if it's a good game and it sales good to consoles, i really don't think Lucasarts just will move on. If they can profit from it, then they probaly convert it to PC.

Just look at some other games, Halo2 that is pretty aged at this time, but still it sales to the PC. Jade Empire also had pretty good sales to the PC market when it arrived.

And thanks Jae, didn't see this thread ^^
 Jeff
09-18-2007, 1:58 PM
I'm guessing that the Xbox360/PS3 version was the one they were talking about not being able to run on most PCs but I do agree with you, it is a lame excuse. Although I don't think they will I'd love to see it come out for PC in the future.
 Commander Obi-Wan
09-18-2007, 5:56 PM
Well, assuming that the recent news regarding a Wii version is true, I think there is a chance, a slim one, that The Force Unleashed will be released on PC. I wouldn't bet on it, but because if the recent news, I would let go of hoping for a PC version yet.
 slornie
09-21-2007, 9:46 AM
Hmm, im surprised there is no official information confirming or denying a PC version, on the other hand, on several online stores i have seen a PC version listed..
 Miltiades
09-21-2007, 1:33 PM
Hmm, im surprised there is no official information confirming or denying a PC version, on the other hand, on several online stores i have seen a PC version listed..

Me too... but that doesn't mean anything, of course. But the fact they don't want to confirm or deny a PC version's curious. They must be still deciding if they're going to make a PC version or not. Maybe they're waiting how successful the game will be on the consoles, before taking their chance on the PC.
 PoiuyWired
09-22-2007, 2:31 PM
Maybe they hope that by not announcing the existance of a PC version, the sales of the two regular versions would be up, namely the 360 version, and that $ony paperweight.
 Shadow Talon
09-22-2007, 6:18 PM
Meaning that by saying it wont get out for PC, people who got flamed because of the game wont risk it and they will buy a console just to play ''The Next Best Thing'' after Jedi Academy that includes lightsaber fights. But I have hope.

Gears of War was published just for 360 and its now under production for PC with even longer story and improved graphics. So I will say that I will remain optimistic about TFU for PC.

History will see who is right :)
 jaybroni
12-18-2007, 4:22 PM
For those wishing for a PC version, there is a current petition with over 12,000 signatures so far.

http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html)

Also for more in-depth discussion, check out the No PC thread at the lucasarts forum. Its at 93 pages with over 1300 posts and growing:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=120668&start=0)
 PoiuyWired
12-18-2007, 4:56 PM
Well, we know that by the time it is released there are probably still more PC capable of handling the game in a reasonable level than PS3 owneders out there.
 Miltiades
12-18-2007, 7:38 PM
Petitions don't help in 99% of the cases. If it suits LA, they'll make a PC version. No petition will influence their decision, IMO.
 Jeff
12-18-2007, 7:45 PM
Right, but fans still want their voices heard even if it won't help their cause. I don't think actually influencing a decision is the point of most online petitions because when have they ever changed anything.
 Miltiades
12-19-2007, 4:36 PM
Meh. I think many people who make or sign these petitions actually think they're going to make a difference. Some real action is needed: I vaguely remember CoD2 players massively abandoning the game because multiplayer was hell or something. I thought that was really cool. :)

Edit: Okay, PC gamers, I hate to show this to you, but check this (http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/The_Force_Unleased_Not_Coming_To_PC_110986.asp). I guess the question is answered then: No TFU for PC. :(
Page: 2 of 4