Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grand Theft Auto 4

Page: 1 of 1
 Ztalker
03-02-2007, 8:16 AM
Hiya..

The official GTA 4 site just launched, and you wouldn't believe what is shows:
A little timer, showing when the first trailer will be released :xp:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/)

(Couldn't url if for some reason....)

Any thoughts/memories of good old Vice City and San Andreas? :)
 Pho3nix
03-02-2007, 9:09 AM
Nice.

GTA IV is the game I'm awaiting the most, probably going to buy a PS3 because of it. And yes I'm aware that it will probably be launched on the PC as well, but I'm used to playing it on my PS2.

In Vice City I just love to cruise the streets on a Harley (Angel in the game) and listening to old love songs from the 80's :D emotion 98.3 for teh win. :p
 Achilles
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
GTA IV is the game I'm awaiting the most, probably going to buy a PS3 because of it. And yes I'm aware that it will probably be launched on the PC as well, but I'm used to playing it on my PS2. I hope you're right. The previous GTA:IV site made no mention of a PC version :(

FWIW, I'm playing GTA:SA now...for probably the 20th time.
 JoeDoe 2.0
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Hope it has good graphics like Vice city and a map like Liberty City. :D
 Pho3nix
03-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Hope it has good graphics like Vice city and a map like Liberty City. :D

Uh, it is next-gen. So that kinda figures.
 Diego Varen
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
This is what I'm looking foward to, even though I'm not eighteen. I liked Vice City and Vice City Stories (I'm currently playing them as we speak) the best and found San Andreas my least favourite game, but I'm looking foward to this. When will the game be set? Present day for once perhaps, since the closest was GTA III and Liberty City Stories?

Edit: It's funny, but I've played all GTAs at least once, but never completed the actual storyline, :lol:. Tommy Vercetti and Victor Vance are my two favourite characters to play as.
 igyman
03-02-2007, 2:41 PM
GTA 4 is one of the games that I will definitely be playing, providing a PC version is made and released, since I'm really not the type that buys any console because of any game.
 Jediphile
03-02-2007, 4:09 PM
GTA 4 is one of the games that I will definitely be playing, providing a PC version is made and released, since I'm really not the type that buys any console because of any game.

Agreed. I'd like to play GTA 4, but if it's not on the pc, then I won't be playing it.
 Master Demonius
03-02-2007, 4:28 PM
i got this from the rockstar site
"Rockstar Games is proud to announce Grand Theft Auto IV, the next-generation console debut of the genre-defining Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto IV will be simultaneously available for the PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360® in North America on October 16, 2007 and in Europe on October 19, 2007."
 Jediphile
03-03-2007, 9:04 AM
No pc version then, huh?

Well, there goes Rockstar's chance to earn any more of my money...
 Ztalker
03-03-2007, 9:17 AM
Originally posted by Jediphile
Well, there goes Rockstar's chance to earn any more of my money...
...which they could use in the upcoming lawsuits :D
 Mav
03-03-2007, 2:04 PM
No pc version then, huh?

Well, there goes Rockstar's chance to earn any more of my money...Just because a PC version wont be out for launch, doesn't necessarily mean it wont be out later.
 Mace MacLeod
03-03-2007, 8:00 PM
^^^GTA: SA took while before it came to PC too.

Really stoked about that game; hopefully by the time it comes out I'll have frankensteined a computer that can actually handle it. Played VC, SA and GTA3 out of the series only; liked VC the best but it got a little old after a while. My favourite post-story mission pastime was to head over to the stadium in the top left corner of the map with a minigun and about 5000 rounds of ammo, and whale the crap out of everything for a 6-star rating. Then when the army guys finally show up, go near enough to a Rhino for them to get out of it, kill them, and go on a 6-star vigilante massacre. Ahh, good clean fun.
 Achilles
03-03-2007, 8:08 PM
^^^GTA: SA took while before it came to PC too. Yeah, but it was a simultaneous release with the Xbox version. Their deal with Sony said that the PS2 got it competition-free for 6 months. Considering all the heat they got for hot coffee (pun intended), I doubt that we'll be seeing a PC version. :(
 lukeiamyourdad
03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Meh, someone will make an XBox 360 or PS3 GTA IV Hot Coffee mod available to only 2 persons in the universe and Jack Thompson will still go:"z0MG PR0N!!!!111!!11!!!"

Yeah, he and all other anti-video game activists use l337 5P34K...

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to it. I loved GTA:SA. Perhaps it's because I was raised in a neighborhood that isn't very pretty or something.

I can always hope that GTA IV will come for the PC...
 Achilles
03-04-2007, 1:03 AM
Yeah, I lived in a crappy gang neighborhood in 1992, so I feel ya.
 HerbieZ
03-04-2007, 6:28 AM
I hope the graphics are ace. I loved nothing more than to run over peds and go on random shooting sprees in the other games.
 Jediphile
03-04-2007, 6:52 AM
Just because a PC version wont be out for launch, doesn't necessarily mean it wont be out later.

Perhaps. I can live in the hope that you're right, at least.

And as Ztalker points out, they'll probably need all the money they can bring together for the inevitable lawsuits ;)

If nothing else GTA:SA was brilliant just for all the crazy complaints in the press. It was a game about a car-boosting, drug-dealing gangster who killed cops left and right... That being the case, it was hysterical what people could get upset about. My personal favorite must be the grandmother who bought it for her grandson and then filed a lawsuit because the game had foul language and sexual content in it, the latter only if modded. With all the killing and drug-dealing, THAT was what she decided to get angry about!?! Hysterical!
 Quanon
03-04-2007, 7:34 AM
Yes , can't wait untill this is released .

Hope they introduce some nice new characters with funny dialogs and crazy situations :D .

Liked VC the most , because of the atmosphere .
Sa wasn't bad , but it had the effect "just more of the same" but bigger .

In all the games I liked the radio-posts the most , hilarious commercials , ridiculous talk-shows , man sometimes I just crashed my car cause I had to laugh so loud .
 King Dando
03-04-2007, 9:42 AM
Cant wait for this game, although I'd rather get it for PC. I have the last 3 games on PC, so I've gotten used to it now. I was playing San Andreas the other day, altough I prefer Vice City, mainly because I love 80's music.

I wonder where GTAIV will be set, and how big the map will be? I cant wait for the trailer at the end of the month.
 Mike Windu
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
R1 R2 L1 R2 Left Down Right Up Left Down Right Up

R1 R2 L1 X Left Down Right Up Left Down Right Up

Ah, my favorite moments of GTA. :p
 Rabish Bini
03-07-2007, 1:44 AM
I can't wait 'till this comes out, i'm still playing Vice City, although i've already finished it...
Hope it's good, I don't want to be let down
 Ztalker
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Any thoughts on what the subject is this time? Or how they hope to enlarge the world even further? :)

I hope it'll feature several world cities, in modern time. I hope you can go fly from one city to another (cutscene), like in Kotor.

OR....

A 'seventies' setting :D
 Vaelastraz
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Yeah, but it was a simultaneous release with the Xbox version. Their deal with Sony said that the PS2 got it competition-free for 6 months. Considering all the heat they got for hot coffee (pun intended), I doubt that we'll be seeing a PC version. :(

Was that hot coffee mod a serious issue in the USA? I mean, the game is supposed to be 18+ right?

Well, in Europe, sex rarely is the issue in games, violence is.
 Achilles
03-07-2007, 6:39 PM
@Ztalker: The prevelent rumor appears to be Europe, although I'd guess Carser City (spelling?). IIRC, it was mentioned in both VC and SA. Sounds kinda like Detroit or someother U.S. industrial town in the 80's.

@Vaelastraz: Yeah. link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_mod)

Didn't make much sense to me either. Drugs, carjacking, racial slurs, prolific use of adult language, terrorism, strip clubs, murder, prostitution, glorified violence = ok. Consentual sex between a man and a woman = must reissue a 2nd version and release a patch to block the offending files. Gotta love our priorities.
 Fish.Stapler
03-07-2007, 7:23 PM
Hoping it comes out on PC, but I'll have a next gen console by then...at least I hope so. Love any game that comes out on PC simply for the ease of control, console controllers never really went over so good with me.

One thing I'm really hoping for though, is more mini games. Playing Saints Row could spoil you on this one, the mini games were a blast. Insurance fraud was endless hours of fun. It's playing in traffic, 1,000 times cooler. (If you haven't played SR, gamespot's descriptions is as follows...

"Insurance Fraud is fun, although it can be difficult. The basic goal is to let yourself get hammered by as many cars as possible within the amount of time given you. In order to gain money, you have to travel to the red target area denoted on your map, then dive in front of fast-moving cars by tapping the left or right analog sticks. About half of the cars on the streets will temporarily be driven by insane people while you perform Insurance Fraud, causing them to move about twice as fast as they normally do and drive through red lights and stop signs.")
 MTV2
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
so is it in the UK or not?

it should be good, seeing as you can put 50GB of stuff on the blu-ray disc and San Andreas took up the whole 8GB of the DVD(thats why they can't put it on the PSP). so there should be better graphics, more interactivity, more vehicles, bigger map, etc.
 The Sith'ari
03-14-2007, 4:35 PM
I know most of the people here are more inclined to RPGs, and there're parents and housewives here who would detest this game for corrupting children. Nonetheless, it's undeniable it's one of the most anticipated titles that are to arrive in 2007. Positive or negative, feel free to discuss and share what you think or expect from this game.

P.S. Btw, this new section in LF is cool. I appreciate the good forum management here.
 SilentScope001
03-14-2007, 5:23 PM
Downloading GTA2, which I heard is the best in the series.

I played GTA3 and GTA: VC, and they are pretty neat, but once you played one, you played them all. GTA2 had a better storyline than the rest of the GTA series, so that's why I'm downloading it. The GTA series, especially GTA3, invented the "sandbox" gerene, which is pretty historic for video games, but, well, to me, it just lost its appeal. Mercs used the sandbox more effectively than the GTA series, IMHO.

All I hope is that GTA4 takes place in Anywhere City, the city where GTA2 takes place.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm okay with the violence. It's the "sex" that drives me insane, however. What's the point? It's just needlessly offensive and useless. I rather go and use my tank and blow stuff up rather than go and pick up a hooker.
 Jediphile
03-14-2007, 5:54 PM
GTA: San Andreas is a wonderful game. Lots of people are infuriated about the adult content, but I just don't see why. I mean, the average gamer is well over 20 years of age now, so is it really so unreasonable to make games with that sort of content in it? Besides, some of the Leisure Suit Larry games had far more graphic adult material in it, so what's the big deal? I don't see lynch mobs of angry moms in the streets or irate politicians lecturing ethics over that for some reason...

Wake up, people! In case you hadn't noticed, the days when computer games are played only by 12-year-olds after school are long gone - welcome to the new millennium!

As for GTA4, I don't know. I'd love to see what they're doing, but it doesn't sound like it'll be out for the pc, which means I won't be buying it. Period.
 Diego Varen
03-15-2007, 2:13 AM
I'm looking foward to playing GTA IV. I hope it will be better than my personal favourite of the series, Vice City.
 The Sith'ari
03-15-2007, 6:37 AM
Oh I do have GTA2, but I never really played it because it's 2D. Guess I'll have to try it out now.
 Ztalker
03-31-2007, 6:00 AM
Ladies and gentleman:

The eagle has landed! :D

Low Quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17qDk3SGBnA)

High quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlF6fbIFiCM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epowerweb%2Enl%2Fartikel%2E) jsp%3Frubriek%3D1116440%26id%3D1965194
 HK-42
03-31-2007, 3:52 PM
I saw this trailer on X-play. Looks sweet:D
 Achilles
03-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Sweetness! Same mob theme. Different mob.
 igyman
04-04-2007, 7:38 AM
Saw the trailer on the official site yesterday. Man! It's short and sweet. Looks like GTA 4 will feature Liberty City once again, but it will probably be a lot bigger and different than it was in GTA 3. The main character is a new one... again, but hopefully he'll be an interesting one. I sincerely hope that this game will be released for PC, it's one of the most entertaining game series I've played.
 Achilles
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll have an xbox 360 purchase in my future.
 Jediphile
04-09-2007, 5:32 PM
Seems the GTA-haters are already out in force even before gta4 has even been released. This time the trailer seems to have caused it. Apparently the powers that be in NY are none to pleased that Liberty City looks a bit too much like their beloved city.

But then again, we knew it was only a question of time... ;)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161197)

EDIT:

Cool look that speculates about the actual size of Liberty City in GTA4. Not proof, no, but putting it in Google Maps is pretty cool:
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=200704191564744050&releaseId=20060308105930968037)
Page: 1 of 1