Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mass Effect

Page: 5 of 5
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 7:24 PM
Well, it wasn't really made to be one, but based upon the review, it good have been one. The combat would have been restructured different and what-not. But, it's an RPG and I am much happier that it isn't. ;)

Amen to that ;). It's just that the gameplay "Hide-to-shoot" style and the third person view of Mass Effect, will make you remember of Gears of War, but notice that the last one has a much more polished fighting.
 mimartin
11-19-2007, 7:55 PM
Gamertrailer's Video Review of Mass Effect (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2211.html)Prime) if you want motivation to get off your butt and get an 360 watch Commander Obi-Wan’s link. It is pure awesomeness.

I don’t know if I can wait till Wednesday for the Special Edition to arrive. I may own two copies come Wednesday.
 stoffe
11-19-2007, 8:51 PM
Add on: Not all the reviews are good. Matt Peckham of PC World did not care for Mass Effect calling it

Matt Peckham, wasn't that the guy whose Neverwinter Nights 2 review got revoked (and replaced by one from another reviewer) after a while since he gave the game a ridiculously low score and picked on every nit he could possibly find while not managing to find anything positive about the game at all?

Not exactly the person whose opinion I would place any weight on. Roughly on the same level as all the Quake kids some magazines/sites tasked with reviewing System Shock 2 and Deus Ex just because they had a first person view and guns. :)
 Corinthian
11-19-2007, 8:55 PM
Every game gets a low rating from someone who wants to be contrary, or who just has no taste. System Shock II, StarCraft, Fallout, Arcanum all recieved a few bad ratings, despite being amazing games.
 Lantzen
11-19-2007, 9:10 PM
And some of thoses review score they have gone back and changed after they have see how the they been declared classics in the RPG gene^^
 Serpentine Cougar
11-20-2007, 1:04 AM
Regarding the bugs, won't they release a patch eventually?
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-20-2007, 7:43 AM
Video Review.
http://www.gamespot.com/video/930279/6183137/mass-effect-video-review)

Gamespot - 8,5

Regarding the bugs, won't they release a patch eventually?

Probably.

Edit: Oh, and Mass Effect will be remembered as the first sci-fi game where humanity is not the center of the universe.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-20-2007, 5:58 PM
Mass Effect has been released. I have my copy, but I don't have the Xbox. If I didn't pre-order it previously, it wouldn't have been able to get a copy till next shipment. They sold out every copy that wasn't pre-ordered.
 Gargoyle King
11-20-2007, 6:52 PM
I'm glad i finally bought a 360, well worth it. I'll have to get this game now; i was thinking i'd never get to play Mass Effect till much later on but it feels great just to know i can go out and buy it now, and this game is certainly too tempting to resist.
 mimartin
11-20-2007, 7:21 PM
It is official I have absolutely no will power whatsoever. I just went to Target and purchased it. I had already ordered it from Amazon, but they have not shipped it as of 5:30 pm CT. Guess I will have two copies now. Gotha go I’m on the database…

May not be heard from for a while…Angel Shepard is coming to life…So far she is a Earthborn, Sole Survivor, Soldier…Done so bye.

First impression: it is beautiful, like watching a movie and the facial expression are unbelievable. It is incredible lot of dialog but this is an RPG after all. It is almost like Carth is here with me.

Added: 4h 42m in and I can definitely write Stoffe is correct about Mr. Matt Peckham. He would not know a great game if it set up and bite him on the butt.

The only thing I would complain about is the Mako, but I want. I have not encountered any bugs that would take away from the game. The elevator rides are a little annoying, but as I said, I am not complaining. The only advise I would give is the same everyone here gave about KOTOR and TSL save, save and save. Save often. Died for the first time and had to do an entire long section over again, not blaming the game because I had plenty of time to save between action and did not.
 Arбtoeldar
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Matt Peckham, wasn't that the guy whose Neverwinter Nights 2 review got revoked (and replaced by one from another reviewer) after a while since he gave the game a ridiculously low score and picked on every nit he could possibly find while not managing to find anything positive about the game at all?

You are correct stoffe. He is an idiot reviewer.
 Cygnus Q'ol
11-21-2007, 7:32 AM
Visually stunning. Cut-scenes are to die for, which usually are the best visual representation of any game anyway, however, you don't lose much when reverted back to gameplay. Shadows are represented well. They are everchanging during conversation, not just in placement of the shadow, but it fades and gets darker as the light changes. Very subtle, especially around the mouth while talking and the brow during facial expression changes and hair movement which happens very frequently depending on your character. You can definately tell they did their homework visually.

Conversation is exquisite. Subtitles Off - is default for cinematic value. Convo-options are great in this game. KotOR and Jade Empire required a scrolling to respond verbally, here they've made it easier and much more condusive. Responses are chosen by left thumb analog. Responses highlight automatically upon cursor touch, then hit "A". Sometimes the dialogue screen, which does not get in the way, will come up during the other's response, prompting you to respond while they're still talking. This aids in conversation flow and proper response time. So cool!

The level up system seems great. However I can see how different paths can be taken by how you level up. Duck and cover is done very well here. I get images of Gears every once in a while, in a good way. It's third person combat is very smooth and I can see I'll need some improvement. As a Vanguard, I've just begun to experiment with my Biotic powers and they are friggin' awesome. I've only just begun and I don't want to inadvertantly spoil, plus, I want to take my time and I honestly haven't gotten that far yet. But I will say so far, I'm hooked. I can tell there's a whole galaxy of excitement and adventure waiting for me.

After work today, I'm off for four days. Besides stuffing myself tomorrow at my Mom's, I'll be out galavanting through the galaxy attempting to save mankind one Geth at a time.
 Pavlos
11-21-2007, 9:36 AM
Unfairnessityness!

It's already out in North America? Bah!

Anyway, I was somewhat worried by the change in dialogue system - I'm young (sic) and set in my ways; does it damage the narrative of the game at all or does it really lead to a cinematic experience?
 swphreak
11-21-2007, 5:04 PM
I've been playing for 4h15m now, and loving every minute of it. I'm just now getting actual command of the Normandy, and I just travelled to another planet.

I haven't encountered any of the glitches I've read about yet (like getting stuck in something or the AI getting stuck), but I did experience a disc read error. I'm pretty sure at this point, it's my 360 on its last breath. I'm just hoping it lasts until after Christmas, and until I can get my hands on a Falcon 360.

Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360.
 mimartin
11-21-2007, 5:23 PM
Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360. Putting out the mousetrap now. Mickey will be sacrificed to the gaming gods.

Had to take off work at noon today. I am now on 7h 58m and I still love it. I have been putting off the main story line and tackling the side quest. I do not want this to ever end. I already know I will be playing this repeatedly as I already want to set my PC up differently.

Anyway, I was somewhat worried by the change in dialogue system - I'm young (sic) and set in my ways; does it damage the narrative of the game at all or does it really lead to a cinematic experience?In my opinion the dialogue system really enhances the story and the cinematic experience. Of course it will be a matter of taste, but lucky for me Bioware has the same taste as me.
 Pavlos
11-21-2007, 5:26 PM
Everyone, sacrifice small animals so that we may appease the gaming gods in the hopes of sparing my 360.

I only have a giraffe; will that do?

My copy has just been posted this evening, so I'm guessing Royal Mail will take a day with transporting and sorting and I should get it Friday morning - just in time for the weekend! Which reminds me, I must cancel any arrangements made with friends in the outside world, brick up all my windows, and hammer large pieces of crooked wood over all the doors.
 adamqd
11-23-2007, 4:43 AM
^^
Me too, just got it 5 minute's ago, I pre-ordered it in Feb, and forgot about it. it was a pleasant surprise this morn!
 Balderdash
11-23-2007, 4:51 AM
EDIT: Mine just came through the door. I'm gone.
 Uilleand
11-23-2007, 1:19 PM
Brain. Gone.
Devoured by Mass Effect.
Commander Nik Shepard lives!
The Mako sucks.
The beauty and complexity is awe-inspiring.
And when you're nice...Kaidan *smiles* at you....
 adamqd
11-23-2007, 2:01 PM
^^
His names Adam Shepard! ;)
 mimartin
11-23-2007, 2:12 PM
His names Adam Shepard! ;)Your both bent, she is a woman named Angel Shepard. :D

I'm wonder how high this level system goes at level 50 full Paragon with more money in her pocket then she knows what to do with. If the mission were not so important, she would just retire on one of these beautiful words. Perhaps one without the giant Graboid looking things.
 Uilleand
11-23-2007, 3:02 PM
 swphreak
11-23-2007, 6:07 PM
I think the levels go up to at least 60 from a screenshot or video I've seen.

I'm almost 20 hours into the game, and I don't think I'm even halfway through the story. I'm playing as a Vanguard who likes his shotgun ammo laced with toxic radiation.

I really wish the galaxy map would have different status rings to let you know if you've already travelled to a system or not.

I think I'm going to replay the game as "canon Sheppard," but keep my first career for use in the sequels.
 GeneralPloKoon
11-24-2007, 3:59 AM
Adrian Sheppard would be cool(half-life: opposing force)
 Aash Li
11-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Im gonna have to get an xbox this game looks really fun. >.> And it looks like you can play a female chara. :) Or atleast the game play video I saw makes it look like that.
 mimartin
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes, you can choice the PC Gender (2 choices), Appearance (to large to count), Pre-Service History (3 choices), Psychological Profile (3 choices) and Military Specialization (6 choices). I believe BioWare did a very good job making each PC the players own. You have to be in the Military serving the Alliance, but that is the point of the entire story.

I stayed up to 5 am this morning playing the game if that tells anyone how I feel about Mass Effect.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-24-2007, 4:29 PM
... I might just have to play ANOTHER Xbox 360. I don't want to wait for another month to play this game.
 Serpentine Cougar
11-25-2007, 2:45 AM
Yes, you can choice the PC Gender (2 choices), Appearance (to large to count), Pre-Service History (3 choices), Psychological Profile (3 choices) and Military Specialization (6 choices). I believe BioWare did a very good job making each PC the players own. You have to be in the Military serving the Alliance, but that is the point of the entire story.

That sounds like a really good way to handle character creation. I'm assuming "Military Specialization" means character class?

So you can choose a first name but not your last name, right? Nice way to strike a balance between letting the player define the character and having a pre-defined character and story.
 mimartin
11-25-2007, 3:05 AM
That sounds like a really good way to handle character creation. I'm assuming "Military Specialization" means character class?

So you can choose a first name but not your last name, right? Nice way to strike a balance between letting the player define the character and having a pre-defined character and story.
You are correct on both counts.

... I might just have to play ANOTHER Xbox 360. I don't want to wait for another month to play this game.I want say anything since I couldn't wait 24 hours and then took off early from work the next day. First time in three years I've missed more than two hours of work in a day.
 Lance Monance
11-25-2007, 4:09 AM
Reading these comments fills me with envy. Why Xbox-only? How could Bioware do this to me? I'm seriously considering getting an xbox, just for this game. But I'd also have to get a good TV. And that's a little expensive, after all I recently bought a good computer.

Be reasonable Bioware!
 Corinthian
11-25-2007, 4:52 AM
Because Bioware got a lot of money to do it as a 360 Exclusive. That's why.
 swphreak
11-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I beat the game. Took me about 36 hours, and I did everything I could. Just a heads up, after the last mission and credits roll, it's game over.

There were some "oh snap" moments during the story missions. Didn't see those coming.

I've already created a new character and made him a War Hero. He's going to be a paragon (my other character was a Renegade).
 mimartin
11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I beat the game. Took me about 36 hours, and I did everything I could. I’ve already created a new character and made him a War Hero. He's going to be a paragon (my other character was a Renegade). I finished yesterday in a little over 35 hours and then played another five hours with a new male character. Everything else is the same.

Started playing the first mission with my old PC and all her money, skills and equipment, but it was way to easy. Therefore, I decided to make a PC that looks more like me and I am going to play it as I would in the real world. He will not be either paragon or renegade, as I will make the decisions as close as I would in real life. I’ve already discovered three missions I failed to do last time. Hint: retrace your steps and some side quest take talking to NPC more than once.

For those that griped about “The Sith Lord” not having a proper ending you do not have to worry about that with “Mass Effect.”

How could Bioware do this to me? I'm seriously considering getting an xbox, just for this game. But I'd also have to get a good TV. And that's a little expensive, after all I recently bought a good computer. Yea this game is a little expensive. I purchased my Xbox 360 because of this game and I purchased a HDTV also. Now I don’t understand why I waited so long to purchase either as I love both. Just wish I spent a little more for a larger TV as the 32 inch is a little small. At least it seems small now that I got the game. Funny it did not seem that small when I was playing Halo 3 or Oblivion.
 HerbieZ
11-25-2007, 2:03 PM
I got the game yesterday. Been playing it for literally over 10 hours now. It's brilliant and i can't get over how cinematic the whole thing is. Ain't hit a romance subplot yet tho :(
 stingerhs
11-26-2007, 6:30 PM
well, i'm still stuck with playing it on and off on my friend's 360 since i don't have one of my own (and won't have one for a while because of Christmas purchases). the gameplay is good, and its everything i've come to expect from Bioware.

my character is male, a spacer, a war hero, and primarily a Paragon. the nice thing with this game, though, is that the paragon/renegade options are separate. there are some situations where i prefer the renegade options, and i'm not really penalized for choosing so unless you're talking about a critical situation which are fairly obvious.

anyways, i really want to get to more of the game, but that's dependent on how schedules intertwine unfortunately. at least the good news is that he's likely to become a roommate relatively soon. :)
 SpaceAlex
11-26-2007, 7:16 PM
Because Bioware got a lot of money to do it as a 360 Exclusive. That's why.

That, and they like to focus on quality, not quatity. If there will be a PC version you can be sure that it will not be some crappy console port (KOTOR and JE weren't anyway).

I will personally wait for the PC version. If there won't be any... well, too bad. I won't buy an X360 for just one game (no other game really interests me).
 mimartin
11-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Game Tip: Go to the Flux in the Wards, if Doran is on the dance floor highlight him and press A. ILMAO
 Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 1:34 AM
This would have to be the most amazing game made yet. The graphics are absolutely out of this world, so lifelike, so detailed. Superb voice acting, and it helps to have your character vocal as opposed to the mute Revan and the Exile were. Plus attitude helps as well. 'The council can kiss my ass' so says Jane Shepard. We need to have strong female protagonists like this. You can make a decent Revan and Exile to boot. And they finally got RPG action right and rather than doing turn based or KOTOR style combat made it all dependent on how good you are. Not being railroaded into being a Jedi helps tremendously as well, let me be the soldier for a change. All in all I don't think this is game of the year, oh no, this at the moment look like it'll be game of the decade.
 mur'phon
11-27-2007, 3:44 PM
After reading your reviews, and being short on cash, I'll try to date a gal with a 360. Wish me luck.
Oh, and nice to see you still alive nance, I thought achilles killed you.
 Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 6:42 PM
He tried. So did others. I'm not content to be scared off and living in the past however. Well, it's good that someone's glad I'm here.

On Mass Effect, yeah it's totally sweet. We've come a long way in four years, a long way. I neglected to mention but you can put in a decent Revan or Exile if you wanted to.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/nancyallen/PDVD_001-1.jpg)

Oh the irony, Bastila goes from fighting Revan to being her.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e7/nancyallen/PDVD_000-2.jpg)

So does this girl do something to get kicked out of the game's equivilent of the Jedi?

One thing that's really been big with this however is how much people want to put George Bush in. Don't as me, I dunno, I just enjoy scenes where you stick a gun in a pervert's face and make him behave. It's funny to hear Carth's character (Raphel Sorez does the voice of one of the main characters, as does Jennifer Hale\Bastila for Jane Shepard) not going on about not trusting anyone as well.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-27-2007, 7:25 PM
Raphel Sorez.

You mean, Sbarge.
 Nancy Allen``
11-27-2007, 7:52 PM
Yeah, Sbarge, I was going from memory. Anyway it's funny to hear him going on about being paranoid and to trust where in KOTOR it's the other way around. So, anyone pick up any referrences or in jokes during the game?
 mimartin
11-27-2007, 9:09 PM
Ain't hit a romance subplot yet tho :(I'm doing something wrong in this area. If I keep this up I'm going to have to name my Commander James T. Kirk Shepard.

I finished my second play through in 32h.52m.

I will try my luck with a Male, Spacer, War Hero with a Vanguard Military Specialization this time around. I just cannot get enough of this game.
 mur'phon
11-28-2007, 2:24 PM
Ok, so the girl plan failed misserably, seems like the only way it might work would be to drink her under the table at the next party. Not looking forward to it as I intended to stay sober, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do. On the pluss side I played it in a store, and I agree completely with the others, this is the game of the year.

Well, it's good that someone's glad I'm here.
:) while I tend to disagre with you on most issues, kavars isn't the same without you and achilles ranting on page after page after......................
 Nancy Allen``
11-29-2007, 2:18 AM
Entertainment value aside being baited was very much a mistake, one I urge others in the strongest possible terms not to repeat.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-29-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm doing something wrong in this area. If I keep this up I'm going to have to name my Commander James T. Kirk Shepard.

:D. Damn, I can't believe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to get this game...
 mimartin
11-29-2007, 10:50 PM
:D. Damn, I can't believe I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to get this game...
Well I guess you will be history for a while. I hope you enjoy it.

I do not want to give anything away, but my disparaging comments towards the Mako in post 210 were uncalled for. It is a fine craft, if you actually learn how to fight in it. As they say if all else fails read the directions. Hint: Like the Mazda commercial said, “Zoom, Zoom, Zoom” or in this case Zoom, Zoom.

12h 13m into my third game and Cygnus Q'ol is right “Biotic powers…are friggin' awesome” Now I don’t have to depend on Biotic NPC so much and can change up by squad. The two I’ve been using did not say much, but the new ones seem to say more.
 JoeDoe 2.0
11-30-2007, 1:35 PM
Like most forumites here, I agree, THIS IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR, followed by Assassin's Creed. The chat with the NPC's is always fun, specially with Wrex, he always has something to say plus he's a hell of a fighter.

Gotta get all the achivements on this game, I already started my second game with my previous character, gonna go for level 60.
 HerbieZ
11-30-2007, 4:40 PM
This game is amazing. Gotta love the detail, there is so much backstory in this game it's like i have known the franchise for years. I absolutely love the Turians and the Salarians. 29 hours and still on my first game. Im takin it all in baby.
 Uilleand
11-30-2007, 6:15 PM
Ran across one of me new favourite Video Game lines in M.E. last night ... Wrex: "Just cuz I like ya, don't mean I won't kill ya."
Page: 5 of 5