Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mass Effect

Page: 4 of 5
 Negative Sun
10-23-2007, 4:25 PM
and combat ranged from being very easy to very hard at some points.
Well duh!
Depends whether you're fighting shlummies or the main boss or whatever...I've always found that to be a very funny thing to say in reviews.
 Lantzen
10-24-2007, 6:05 AM
Well, since there is diffrent world of course there will be diffrent opponent. Some of the world will probaly be very easy, when other is hard. It's not like in Kotor that you need to go to all the world to finish the game
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-27-2007, 2:23 PM
Well duh!
Depends whether you're fighting shlummies or the main boss or whatever...I've always found that to be a very funny thing to say in reviews.

Well, that's not what the reviewer probably meant. When reviewers say that, is that, late on the game, you'll fight enemies weaker than the ones you would find, let's say, on the beginning. Anyway, it's a critic on the difficult balance.
 Knight_OF_Light
11-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Release date is officially Nov 20th.

Link (http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_08_30_Mass_Effect_Release_Date/)

I read on the Bioware forums, from a dev, that it's violence and side view of a breast. Which is interesting and probably will be removed in the final build.

I really hope your right... because this game looks awesome! But my parents are kind of on the strict side... and they wouldn't want me getting this game, even though I'm 18.. I guess I'll just have to move out lol..
 Boba Rhett
11-03-2007, 12:34 AM
...or just modify the rating on the cover art and then show it to them. :joy:
 Corinthian
11-03-2007, 1:15 AM
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-03-2007, 4:56 PM
I really hope your right... because this game looks awesome! But my parents are kind of on the strict side... and they wouldn't want me getting this game, even though I'm 18.. I guess I'll just have to move out lol..

...or just modify the rating on the cover art and then show it to them.
What good it'll make? There aren't any games that are not recommended for people above 18, anyway... Even the ones of AO rating.
 Boba Rhett
11-03-2007, 5:20 PM
o_O B...because his parents do apparently care. However, they may not care if he's getting a game rated for, say, Everyone or Teen.

Commencing grin in three... two... :joy:
 Negative Sun
11-03-2007, 7:09 PM
Anyway, it's a critic on the difficult balance.
lolz seriously? ;)

My point is that that is quite relative and always a difficult thing to balance in an RPG with level-up system...
 Ghost Down
11-04-2007, 6:28 AM
Wish I had (the money to buy) a X360!

- Ghost Down
 Balderdash
11-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I know you were joking, but I actually would want to move out if I had parents that were that protective...
 Uilleand
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM
*Hangs head in shame*
My 360 arrived last night...
I am a pawn to BioWare....
 Fish.Stapler
11-05-2007, 1:30 AM
Ive already got the name, background, and ideal look for my Shepard selected. And a copy preordered.

Bring it.
 Arбtoeldar
11-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I just can't believe that I've waited this long to check this game out. :rolleyes:

At least you got to the party earlier than I did. :lol:

I am even looking for Xbox 360 games to justify the expense of buying an Xbox and a television. :eek:
 HerbieZ
11-05-2007, 4:44 PM
Im gonna pre-order it tonight. Can't wait :D
 mimartin
11-05-2007, 4:50 PM
Im gonna pre-order it tonight. Can't wait :D
I'm trying to decide if I want the limited edition or not. $10.00 more!
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-06-2007, 6:56 PM
I've pre-ordered it already, but I've tried to get the LE instead, but apparently you can only pre-order it online.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-07-2007, 6:30 PM
Pre-ordered it. Done. Now I think I'll walk over to that cryogenic stasis sleeping capsule...
 Jeff
11-08-2007, 3:32 PM
Here's a new Mass Effect article on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833639p1.html)
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-08-2007, 5:25 PM
As well as:

Mass Effect Achievements (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833719p1.html?RSSwhen2007-11-08_095900&RSSid=833719)

You'll need to complete Mass Effect a number of times to complete the game 100%. Oh yeahhhhhh. Too bad, I won't have my Xbox 360 once it's released.
 mimartin
11-08-2007, 5:35 PM
Here's a new Mass Effect article on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833639p1.html)
Now I see why it got the Mature rating. I preordered over the internet in order to get the Special Edition, even shelled out the extra cash to get it shipped overnight.
 HerbieZ
11-08-2007, 5:58 PM
Man this game is a money-no-object thing to me now. Although the video was'nt that steamy. It pretty much looked like they were building a shelving unit and the woman fell over. Still, it touched me...
 JoeDoe 2.0
11-08-2007, 7:18 PM
Got it Reserved at GameStop, getting before the Thanksgiving Break, gonna eat some turkey and play Mass Effect all those four days off
 Nancy Allen``
11-13-2007, 12:07 AM
This game is going to kick KOTOR's ass, big time. Looks like we can say goodbye to being railroaded into playing Jedi and play exactly the way we want to play. Just imagining how this could be modded if it comes to PC is mindblowing. A KOTOR conversion where Revan can make Juhani purr, if that appeals to you.
 mimartin
11-14-2007, 3:03 PM
Although the video was'nt that steamy. It pretty much looked like they were building a shelving unit and the woman fell over. Still, it touched me...Well according to reports the two females building the shelving unit got the game banned in Singapore. Maybe it was the interspecies shelve building that offended the Singapore government. Guess it touched them too.

Also saw where Mass Effect is selling for almost $200.00 on ebay reports are some Kmart stores got a little overzealous. Too bad there are no Kmart’s around here.
 Uilleand
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
The reviews are already coming out....

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/news.php?i=1517)

"...there is a lot of KOTOR familiarity in this game, while still being fresh. KOTOR players will definitely feel right at home though." ... except for the real-time combat.

I have the feeling my brain will not be my own for a very, very long time after next Wednesday....
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-16-2007, 8:05 PM
Played it!

Not on my console, but on friend's home. He won't lend me, though, as he's pretty addicted. (How he got it though... I don't know or care)

I've played the first obligatory "level", on this colony of New Eden. Hehe, the reviewer up there is 100% right. The game loads before the graphics are completely loaded, but the game is all skinned on seconds. The battles still weren't exactly difficult, but I died twice (and I'm a Bioware games vet), just because I went fighting 'Rambo style' instead of using a more cautious approach, hiding behind stones and walls (Believe me, you'll need it).
 Fish.Stapler
11-16-2007, 8:50 PM
Sounds like it's an awesome mix of Brothers in Arms and KotOR. I think I'm gonna pass out :/
 HerbieZ
11-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Sounds like it's an awesome mix of Brothers in Arms and KotOR. I think I'm gonna pass out :/

Join the heap brotha!
 Nancy Allen``
11-17-2007, 2:37 PM
Just one thing I'm wondering about the game. From all accounts it looks great but a complaint I have about this style of game is how lonely it gets. Take Elder Scrolls for example, you can spend an hour not encountering anything, or very little.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 4:56 PM
Just one thing I'm wondering about the game. From all accounts it looks great but a complaint I have about this style of game is how lonely it gets. Take Elder Scrolls for example, you can spend an hour not encountering anything, or very little.

I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.
 Pavlos
11-17-2007, 5:20 PM
I've just pre-ordered it from Play.com and now all I have to do is eagerly anticipate its arrival.

Something that caught my eye was that it's rated 12+ here in the UK but as a Mature game (which is 17+ isn't it?) over in America. Ever so slightly odd.
 Nancy Allen``
11-17-2007, 5:23 PM
That happens all the time, where they would change the ratings or even the content in a game.
 Uilleand
11-17-2007, 8:32 PM
I've just played the first level and a little on the Normandy. And, since I WON'T spoil anything for ANYONE, I can say that I saw enough people. Besides, you won't be walking vast empty spaces, with just terrain and terrain and terrain. Remember, there are several planets, so the game will focus on the gold, the crowded places, the cities, not the spaces between them.

Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-17-2007, 8:44 PM
Also...unlike Elderscrolls...in M.E. you have a squad...companions. The major appeal of this game to me - as in KotOR and NWN - is the personal interactions you can have with your crew...

A thing I have noticed on my play(Again, not spoiling) was when a party member apologized when my Shepard version was shot. I answered that it was not her fault and she just 'smiled'. Yes, smiled. Not a warning by the end of the cutscene or anything, I just knew I had gotten closer to her. Fantastic.
 Serpentine Cougar
11-18-2007, 1:06 AM
Man, I'm gonna have to wait so long to play this game; I don't even have a 360 yet. Too stinkin' expensive. This'll be one of the first games I get for it, though. Hearing you guys talk of playing it makes me feel like a hungry beggar looking in the window of a restaraunt, watching the people inside eating grand foods.

:(
 GeneralPloKoon
11-18-2007, 1:19 PM
I don't have enough money for Mass Effect!!!! Looks like I might have to wait until Christmas....
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-18-2007, 6:30 PM
Two just baked reviews:

OXM (Oficial Xbox Magazine) - 10,0

Game Informer - 9,75

Mass Effect = Game of the year (?)
 JoeDoe 2.0
11-18-2007, 9:24 PM
I pre-ordered and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, I can't wait. I think is one of the nominees for best game of the year along with Assassin's Creed, another awesome game.
 Prime
11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I really should get around to getting a 360.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 5:31 AM
I pre-ordered and I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday, I can't wait. I think is one of the nominees for best game of the year along with Assassin's Creed, another awesome game.

Assassin's Creed is an awesome game, but it won't get the Game of The Year prize. I would expect Bioshock or Mario Galaxy to earn it now.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
More reviews:

Gametrailers - 9,6

IGN - 9.4
 mimartin
11-19-2007, 11:24 AM
I really should get around to getting a 360.What are you waiting for.

I ordered Mass Effect online and now I'm having to tell myself not to go to the store tomorrow and purchase it because the special edition will be here Wednesday.

Was reading some of the reviews and one states after you finish you can start over with the same PC and the same equipment. How many times did I want to do that in KOTOR or TSL. Still it would tend to make the game a little too easy.

Add on: Not all the reviews are good. Matt Peckham of PC World did not care for Mass Effect calling it Mass Effect: Xbox 360 Game Doesn't Live Up to its Hype. Beautifully rendered with an above-average plot, Bioware's new sci-fi epic for the Xbox 360 still turns out to be a disappointingly overhyped encore to Microsoft's main holiday act in gaming, Halo 3.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 6:15 PM
EB Games called yesterday, my game will be ready first thing tomorrow.

MUST FIND XBOX TO PLAY IT ON!
 SentinelRivers
11-19-2007, 6:23 PM
Been looking forward to Mass Effect for well over a year now, only a couple more days to go until it finally arrives...

Must admit though I haven't given Assassin's Creed much of a play through fear of the ring of death, which I don't really want this close to ME's release. :smash:
 stingerhs
11-19-2007, 6:39 PM
well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy, and combat takes a strict #2 emphasis in the gameplay. the good news is that the RPG part of ME is the #1 emphasis in the gameplay. ME has an epic story with unsurpassed interactions with other characters in addition to a much more fluid system of renegade vs saint approach to the choices you make instead of a good/evil thing that's been the staple of recent RPG's.

anyways, i can't wait for tommorrow after work. :D
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 7:00 PM
Gamertrailer's Video Review of Mass Effect (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2211.html)

Really, the only thing that seems to be a little off is the presentation, like stingerhs said. There seems to be a few bugs. Put everything is nailed down pat. Possibly good enough to be a decent shooter without the RPG element. Yeah, I can't wait.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-19-2007, 7:03 PM
Possibly good enough to be a decent shooter without the RPG element.

I don't think it would do well if it was just a shooter...
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-19-2007, 7:09 PM
I don't think it would do well if it was just a shooter...

Well, it wasn't really made to be one, but based upon the review, it good have been one. The combat would have been restructured different and what-not. But, it's an RPG and I am much happier that it isn't. ;)
 SentinelRivers
11-19-2007, 7:13 PM
well, i keep hearing on a number of reviews that Mass Effect is rather buggy,

Noticed that aswell, though I can usually deal with the low frame rates or texture pop-ins that seemed to be mentioned all the time it's just the really really long elevator rides that have me worried especially since there seems to be a few delivery/run around side missions within the Citadel itself. Not sure if it's between areas that are connected through elevators but I really hope not.

Heard nothing but compliments for the main story though so can't wait for that.
Page: 4 of 5