Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mass Effect

Page: 1 of 5
 HerbieZ
02-13-2007, 2:53 PM
Yes. Mass Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect) is the latest product from those people at Bioware. The game looks extremely impressive and even though i do not own a 360, i am looking forward to it! The main website located here (http://masseffect.bioware.com/) has all the info you need including screenshots and a few previews from various magazines. Bearing in mind, about two Bioware games back, they released Kotor 1 hopefully the world will work in our favour and in two Bioware games time they will announce Kotor 3. We wish.

Still it looks worthy and even if you are not an X-Box 360 owner like myself, i am interested in hearing your opinions and especially on what features described in the game you may wish to be carried into Kotor 3.

Comments and Questions about the game and me, welcome. :smash:
 mjpb3
02-13-2007, 6:39 PM
I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:
 SpaceAlex
02-13-2007, 8:36 PM
I don't own an Xbox360 either, but i would still like to know as much as i can about this game. I don't actually plan to buy the console to play this game, but i'm hoping that Bioware will see the light and port this game to the PC one day. :D
 Char Ell
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Yes. Mass Effect is the latest product from those people at Bioware. Hmm... I guess this statement means BioWare's PC adaptation of their Xbox game called Jade Empire: Special Edition (http://jade.bioware.com/specialedition/) doesn't register on your radar screen. :dozey:
I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)
 Prime
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Mass Effect may actually speed up a 360 purchase. It is that strong a contender...
 mimartin
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I've got an XBox 360 just waiting for Mass Effect! :D

I've been following the progress of ME for a while now and it -- and Oblivion for the 360 -- are the main reasons we spent the money on a 360 instead of waiting for a significant price drop first. I didn't want ME to come out and me be without a 360! :lol:

Needless to say, but I am eagerly awaiting the release date! :animelol:

I’ve done the exact same thing. I went as far as purchasing a HDTV last weekend. I bought Oblivion to tide me over till Mass Effect comes out. Now I’m considering getting the internet for the house, just for Xbox live (I’m on the computer and phone all day at work, so I don’t like the idea of either at home) in order to download the added content. Now if I can just get a little sleep before Mass Effect comes out. I just hope it is as additive as Oblivion.
 Vaelastraz
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I can't bring myself to do it, even for a lust-worthy game like Mass Effect. I'll just wait a year or so after the game comes out in hopes that BioWare pulls a Jade Empire on Mass Effect and releases a PC version. If much more than a year goes by and no PC version is announced then I'll either buy an Xbox 360 for $200 or less or go without. I'm holding out hope for a PC version of course. :)

Same here. Either they release it on the PC or damn Microsoft paid too damn much money so they don't...
Even though I'd love to play it - I will never buy a Xbox 360. I rather spend 1500+ $ on a new PC...
 PazaakPrincess
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm interested in it, but why another game with no female PC option?

Haven't they got the clue yet that there are tons of women out there playing these games?
 HerbieZ
02-14-2007, 1:01 PM
The main character will be fully customisable (although im not sure if there is a female option), you can also choose a variety of team members and not be stuck with the same old ones ala Kotor. So ideally you can assemble a team of kick-ass female Marines.
 mjpb3
02-14-2007, 1:17 PM
I already asked about playing as a female PC on the Bioware boards a few months ago and one of the devs answered that you WILL most certainly be able to play as a female. Huge plus for me. :D
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-14-2007, 2:19 PM
Yeah, Im really curious and anxious for this game. Man, the game seems huge: Galaxy, soalr system and planets. Wow.
 RaV™
02-14-2007, 2:35 PM
I just wonder if I can be a different race than a human.
 starmark2k
02-14-2007, 5:21 PM
^^^
The main guy is Human but i know there is at least 1 alien and i think there's a robot of some description on your team.

I've been watching this games development since i got my 360 about a year back. I've also watched the changes in its release date and have gotten happy and sad with the shifts.

I like the many differant ways you'll be able customise your characters and even the Ground vehical you have. I also like the Galactic map option.
 PazaakPrincess
02-15-2007, 5:45 AM
I already asked about playing as a female PC on the Bioware boards a few months ago and one of the devs answered that you WILL most certainly be able to play as a female. Huge plus for me. :D

Ah very cool, although you would think they would put that in the description!
 mjpb3
02-15-2007, 6:18 AM
Ah very cool, although you would think they would put that in the description!

I know! It is definitely annoying that the main description for Mass Effect is so misleading. Which is really surprising for Bioware since they are so good about making games that everyone can enjoy.

Maybe I should point that out in a post on the Bioware/Mass Effect forums?
 PazaakPrincess
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Good idea mjpb3 , because I was really turned off when I read you will play such and such a character who is male etc. I would be more likely to plonk down my money first thing if it said you could customise your character and be male or female.

I'm sure others feel the same way. Don't they want us to be excited about a new game???
 HerbieZ
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Im going to try and not be offensive here but it is most likely because a sci-fi fps/rpg is usually not aimed at females. It's the sad truth but surveys and polls usually point to a massive male-teen dominated player base. Therefore they go with the majority. Luckily, this is not the case with Mass Effect, it is just not one of the selling points. Telling your predominantly male fanbase the fact that "Yes, you can play as a Female" will most likely confuse the fanbase and cause a ruckuss in the public forums. If not to delight only a mere 1% (estimate) of the female portion of Mass Effect's official forum whom will undoubtably ask the inevitable question "Is the game aimed at males or females?". Overall, the end result will leave one side of humanity undoubtably unhappy with the result, leaving the developers wondering why they never designed the main character as a genderless or transgendent species.

It would certainly suit the Science-fiction element of the game but alas sadly game developers constantly believe that the player will want to play as a Human and for the most part they are correct. You only have to look at an MMO with multi species character selection and point to human being the large majority of the playerbase. Presumably having already done studies of MMO characters and human preferences to actually being human, the main character in the game the survey was done for will most likely Human. You can apply this argument/case to the Gender discussion.
 mjpb3
02-15-2007, 4:19 PM
No offense taken at all, Herbie. None whatsoever. And sadly, all of what you wrote is true.

BUT, Bioware is one of the leading companies to actually pay attention to the small but very present female demographic when making their games, so I would hope that their information page describing Mass Effect will get changed to specify that the main PC can be male or female.

But if not, I will be happy to tell the world. :D
 PazaakPrincess
02-16-2007, 5:52 AM
LOL MJ, thanks Herbie... I think we do understand that we are still a minority but I think game companies do not realise the potential in a huge untapped market or women who like to play games just as much as men. Some of us were growing up when video games were new and so baptised as it were in the culture of gaming from very early on , and although we'll play games that are male only PCs it sure is nice to play a female character not just have them as NPCs.

Perhaps game companies play it safe at marketing and creating games for boys/men but if the popularity of games like KOTOR 1&2, Morrowind, NWN and Jade Empire amongst women is anythig to go by one would hope they take a chance on opening their advertising and their character creation to a wider audiance.

In the end they can only make more money.
 HerbieZ
02-16-2007, 8:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, i love females, i wish there were more in games. Infact there are times i wish i was the only male in a game full of females. Mass Effect has this really cool alien looking one that looks lile a Twi'lek. :)

One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date?
 Char Ell
02-16-2007, 9:52 AM
One thing im not sure about is the release date on this game, first i thought it was this month but another source told me it was next month. Does anyone have a definate release date? Nope, no official release date yet. My guess is the game will come out in May though.
 Mister Chief
02-17-2007, 1:54 AM
It has been suggested strongly that Mass effect will be in the spring (going Quarterly). TeamXBOX has been doing interviews with bioware, and something I found interesting is that the game is nearly done, and also that the team working on it is mostly Jade Empire and KOTOR veterans. He said to expect a game that takes the best from both games.
All of the screens have the same PC in them, so I was under the influence that you had a pre-determined character. If not, I sure hope that he is a NPC in the game.
 Ctrl Alt Del
02-17-2007, 1:58 PM
Heh. I sure can't wait for this game to arrive. And, knowing Bioware, it's really difficulty that there won't be any character customisation (appearance), especially since there're a lot of kotOR veterans making it.
 Rogue Spy
02-26-2007, 2:11 AM
I am definetly getting it for Xbox 360, looks like the RPG of the year for me!
 DarthZayne
02-26-2007, 8:17 AM
Heh. I sure can't wait for this game to arrive. And, knowing Bioware, it's really difficulty that there won't be any character customisation (appearance), especially since there're a lot of kotOR veterans making it.

you will be able to costomise the face of your character the hair anything of the head of the main character..

you can read it in the last interview on www.bioware.com)

here the interview link
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/021507_masseffect_qa_1.x)

Shack: Tell us about character customization. What can be changed in terms of aesthetics, character classes and skill proficiencies?

Casey Hudson: In Mass Effect you can develop and customize your character as much or as little as you want, going even beyond the depth of our previous games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You can adjust every feature of your face and create a unique Commander Shepard -- male or female. You can choose what class of skills (weapons, dark energy, or tech) your character will specialize in, and you'll be able to develop those skills as you progress -- even adding entirely new skills that add new dimensions to combat and character interaction. And throughout the game you'll develop the abilities of your squad as well.
 Prime
02-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Let's hope this game becomes a model of things to come. :)
 DarthSion101
02-26-2007, 1:32 PM
I am so pumped, i just wish they had a release date, so we can eagerly count the days and salivate.
 milo
02-26-2007, 6:13 PM
Man I am sooooo psyched for this game. This alone is worth getting a 360.
 Rogue Spy
02-27-2007, 3:48 AM
you will be able to costomise the face of your character the hair anything of the head of the main character..

you can read it in the last interview on www.bioware.com)

here the interview link
http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2007/021507_masseffect_qa_1.x)

Shack: Tell us about character customization. What can be changed in terms of aesthetics, character classes and skill proficiencies?

Casey Hudson: In Mass Effect you can develop and customize your character as much or as little as you want, going even beyond the depth of our previous games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. You can adjust every feature of your face and create a unique Commander Shepard -- male or female. You can choose what class of skills (weapons, dark energy, or tech) your character will specialize in, and you'll be able to develop those skills as you progress -- even adding entirely new skills that add new dimensions to combat and character interaction. And throughout the game you'll develop the abilities of your squad as well.

What ? i thought the main character you play as is Commander Shephard, and his default face is the one you see on trailers with short shaven hair.
 Char Ell
02-27-2007, 8:05 AM
What ? i thought the main character you play as is Commander Shephard, and his default face is the one you see on trailers with short shaven hair. True. You can go with the Commander Shepherd face you see in the video clips and pictures BioWare has released or you can customize the appearance of Commander Shepherd. A female Commander Shepherd will also be available and customizable.
 Negative Sun
02-27-2007, 8:47 AM
Cool, this game is the only reason why I would even consider getting a 360 (and Force Unleashed too), if I could afford it lol...

Here's the GameSpot (http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/index.html?q=mass%20effect) site for it.
 Cygnus Q'ol
02-27-2007, 1:04 PM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...
 mimartin
02-27-2007, 1:12 PM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Why decide. I want both.

Thanks for sharing information the DarthZayne, it just made me want Mass Effect all the more.
 Rogue Spy
02-28-2007, 4:18 AM
Exactly lol iv already confirmed on getting both.
 Ctrl Alt Del
03-03-2007, 6:52 AM
Let's see...

Which one do I want more
KotOR3 or Mass Effect?

Both. But which to get first?

Mass Effect, because it's already comming.
 Cygnus Q'ol
03-08-2007, 7:32 AM
I finally did it.

Splurged on a 360.
...and if that wasn't enough, I acquired a Samsung 40" 1080i, LCD, HDTV with all the trimmings.

Bring on MASS EFFECT !!!

...Oh, crap, now I can't afford to buy the game.
 mjpb3
03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't call this confirmation per se' of a release/shipping date, but I was on the Game Stop site checking out new releases and I saw a "shipping" date for Mass Effect of May 22, 2007...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=200168)

If it's true -- woohoo! Only a month and a half... :D
 HK-87
03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I absolutely love those Chracter and Armor models...

*ME Seziure ensues*
 PazaakPrincess
03-12-2007, 7:08 AM
I finally did it.

Splurged on a 360.
...and if that wasn't enough, I acquired a Samsung 40" 1080i, LCD, HDTV with all the trimmings.

Bring on MASS EFFECT !!!

...Oh, crap, now I can't afford to buy the game.

ROFL yes isn't that the way. I want to buy a 360 but can I wait till xmas? possibly not if Mass Effect is all its cracked up to be. Since there is no sign of Kotor3 in my future (which is what I've been holding out for)
 The Sith'ari
03-14-2007, 4:24 PM
Same here. Either they release it on the PC or damn Microsoft paid too damn much money so they don't...
Even though I'd love to play it - I will never buy a Xbox 360. I rather spend 1500+ $ on a new PC...

The 360 is cool with loads of exciting titles and live capabilities, and it doesn't even cost half of $1500+. Plus it sets a single standard that the industry can conform to until the next generation console comes out, which will be 5-7 years later, thus there is no need to make regular graphics card upgrades- saves you a lot of money. Unless you're only interested in games that allow modding, IMO the 360 is a much more cost-effective choice.
 swphreak
03-14-2007, 4:46 PM
The Doctors have said that they will not be showing Mass Effect at E3, so the game should be out by May or June.

I've been waiting for this game to come out since I heard about it a long while ago. The sheer scope of the game just looks awesome, and it's next-gen.

What I really want is BioWare to make KoToR3, or loan the Mass Effect engine to whoever does. Imagine it: The entire Star Wars galaxy could be in the game, and we could explore each one of them.
 HerbieZ
03-16-2007, 6:22 AM
Yeah phreak, i think if that ever happened, i can kiss my social life goodbye.
 Cygnus Q'ol
03-16-2007, 8:18 AM

What's a social life?

Is that a new game and

...is it out for 360?
 Ghost Down
03-16-2007, 9:04 AM
Will ME eventually be available for PC? Cause I don't wanna spend Ђ300,- on a Xbox 360..

- Ghost Down
 mjpb3
03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
So sad... gaming is my social life! :rolleyes: :lol: :D ;)

Will ME eventually be available for PC? Cause I don't wanna spend Ђ300,- on a Xbox 360..
No one knows just yet. But seeing as how Bioware re-released Jade Empire (which was supposed to be strictly for the XBox) as a PC game, then chances are good that Mass Effect will eventually be released as a PC game. Or at least we can hope, eh? ;)

Truthfully, I don't care whether it's released for the XBox 360, PC, or even on the XBox--just so long as it is released on a platform that I can play! :emodanc:

In case you can't tell, I am very much looking forward to Mass Effect! :D
 oldflash
03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I really hope to be also release for PC because I don't have a xbox and even worse, I have restricted acces to TV.
 darthcarth
03-17-2007, 4:50 PM
Yeah i realy hope it will be made for the pc, but if it doesnt then it looks like i might be buying a 360 intead of a new gfx card.
 HK-87
03-17-2007, 10:43 PM
If it IS made for PC, the problem will be if any of us have the specs to run it :(

Phreak, if that does happen, then no one will ever post on the Forums. Ever.
 Jeff
03-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I might have to get a 360 for this. I've been wanting one for a while and the list of games I want for it are building up. Gears of War, Force Unleashed, this... The game looks so kickass.
 swphreak
03-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Links galore for you people.

Here are some interviews:
GDC 07 - with the Doctors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib9TegyQVYs)
Gamespot's "On the Spot" - Project Manager (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibcpOX4R3vk)

Game footage:
X06 Walkthrough (http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1807/Mass-Effect-HD-Video-Walkthrough/p1/)
E3 06 Demo (http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360-hires/3349/Mass-Effect-E3-2006-Demo-Walkthrough-in-HD/)

The prequel book will be out May 1st (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12859/Mass-Effect-Revelation-Book-Appears-on-Amazon/)

The Limited Collectors Edition box cover. No idea what's included. (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12993/Mass-Effect-Limited-Collectors-Edition-Box-Cover/)

And it looks like the early May release date is highly plausible. (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12694/Mass-Effect-Dated-in-Australia/)
Page: 1 of 5