Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[FIC]Heart of Deception

Page: 4 of 5
 CSI
12-30-2006, 9:25 PM
Another very, very great chapter. I have nothing to complain about it...
 Diego Varen
12-31-2006, 5:19 AM
Another very, very great chapter. I have nothing to complain about it...

Me neither. We'll let igyman do that. Good Chapter as always JM12 and I'm looking foward to more.
 igyman
12-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Nah, I've got nothing. This was truly flawless.
 JediMaster12
01-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys. I hope you caught the slight attraction that my newest character feels for my resident scoundrel. The next chapter I will come out and say that it was inspired by the movie Rocky III and the scene that discusses fear. It is particularly important since it concerns a final confrontation between Atton and his past. You also get so see some glimpses into Kiera's character as well...

Chapter 35
I’m going to get the Old Man for this, the thought ran through Kirabaros’ mind as he struggled to awaken from the powerful sedative that Jolee had injected him with. His amber eyes were clouded as they opened to a light overhead. If Kirabaros had been anyone else, he would have thought it was the white light a person greets at death. He had the sense to know that he was in a med bay, just where, he had no idea. He shifted his eyes around and surveyed the room as far as he could see.

The room was rather small but then again so was the ship. It smelt of disinfectant though Jolee would say otherwise and he could make out the panels necessary to create medpacs and the like. As he explored with his drug-induced haze, he was aware that the screeching and the noise had softened to a dull and the pain in his neck from the injections were gone. Feeling satisfied at his observations, he slowly sat up. His ruminations were interrupted by a gruff voice saying, “Glad to see that you are up sonny. Now maybe you can explain a few things.”

Kirabaros turned towards the door to see Jolee standing there with his arms crossed. He grinned and replied, “I guess I owe an apology to the old man for getting out of retirement to come and rescue me.”

“You keep quiet with the jokes there, sonny. After that lively display of insanity I want to know exactly what happened to you on that ship,” Jolee responded rather stern.

Kirabaros knew this was serious. He had a tendency to forget that he dealt with trauma as a joke and his friends didn’t see it that way. Of course they didn’t have to live with childhood memories of torture but he never held that against him. He gave a sigh before replying with, “Do you really want to know?”

Jolee could see that Kirabaros wasn’t intending to be funny with the question. Jolee remembered when he was captured by the Leviathan and endured the interrogation process. It wasn’t a pleasant thing but he had to know. He replied, “What did they do to you sonny?”

“The usual: the threats, the torture, whatever it takes to reveal what they want to know.” Kirabaros looked away to gaze at a particularly interesting panel, “That and Draconis injected something that causes me to hallucinate.”

“Yes that was made clear after that interesting exhibit on the way out.”

“It made me remember things. Things that I have long buried.” Kirabaros began to look disturbed. He disliked feeling vulnerable and he reacted to it in not a pleasant manner. He closed his eyes and the memory of the Blood King drenched in blood passed through his mind along with flashes of death in general. It was a joke amongst the tribesmen that Kirabaros saw death everywhere and even he laughed about it. Now it was haunting him much like his dreams. True that the sedatives dampened the effects but it didn’t stop it. He looked at Jolee with a pleading look.

Jolee saw the look of desperation, the plea for help. He always knew Kirabaros to be someone too stubborn to ask for help but this time he was. The one time that he was asking for it, Jolee didn’t know how to give it. Instead he replied, “That’s war for you sonny. You never get over it,” and sat next to Kirabaros.

“You can’t get over things that nearly killed you either, things that should have killed you but didn’t,” Kirabaros replied looking at the ground. He remembered that attack in the enclave where Cronus was killed but it was mingled with those that he cared about being killed amongst those that he knew then. It was maddening and it terrified him for he couldn’t tell vision from memory.

“Kid, I don’t know how many times you have brushed with death since I met you. Some of those things should have killed you but they didn’t,” Jolee picked up on his train of thought. Saying that made him think that whatever it was they injected him with would have probably destroyed a normal Jedi. “This is probably one of those times.”

Kirabaros said nothing but continued to stare at the floor. He would have gone on staring in complete silence if Mission hadn’t poked her head into the med bay. Jolee asked, “What is it lass?”

“Just came in to say that we will arriving at Amshrey in two days and my watch is up,” Mission gave a thumb back and leaned in the doorway. Her lekku twitched to indicate her impatience at Jolee.

Jolee sighed, “Fine, fine. This youngsters have no respect for their elders.” He was still muttering as he disappeared around the bend towards the cockpit to take over.

Mission watched him leave and said to Kirabaros in a conspiratorial whisper, “He’s an old married woman.”

Kirabaros couldn’t resist a chuckle. He coughed to keep it from becoming a full-blown laugh. He replied, “He’s tougher than he looks.” He then looked at Mission and added, “Thanks Mission.”

“No problem,” Mission replied with a smile on her face. As quick as the smile appeared, it dropped out of sight. She inched her way forward and asked, “You all right?”

“Yes and no.” Then seeing that she was going to pursue the subject, Kirabaros added, “I don’t know.”

“Hey, you’ve got nothing to be ashamed of. Revan didn’t remember anything about being a dark lord and that’s not her any more.”

“Mission, I don’t think that has anything to do with this,” Kirabaros began.

“Then what? Because you keeping secrets from everyone doesn’t help matters any.” Mission had made her way inside the med bay. Her lekku was twitching with impatience mingled with concern.

“What do you want to know?” Kirabaros asked. His head was pounding for the occasional hallucination was going through his head. He hid his discomfort by using his hand to brush his hair away, a futile gesture at most.

“Why were you captured and what did they do to you?” Mission was quick to ask.

“Because of the kids and he did something,” Kirabaros replied but not being clear. Seeing that Mission was getting annoyed, he sighed and made to explain his thoughts. He didn’t get far for a vision or a hallucination gripped him. He winced in pain and gripped his head at his temples. He stood up; unaware that Mission was gripping him to steady him. His eyes were open and wide in shock, terror and pain.

Mission saw him grab his head and became frightened. She pushed it side as she reached out to try and shake Kirabaros and get him to focus. He was groaning from whatever he was seeing and his eyes were wide open. She kept asking him what he was seeing and what was wrong. When she turned him to face her, he looked at her but not at her before squeezing his eyes shut and nearly shouting, “No!” The next thing she was doing was catching Kirabaros as he tried to sit back on the bunk and nearly fell on Mission as she reached out to steady him.

Atton had worse. After being in the company of Darius and later Kirabaros, he could shake off causal injuries. This time however, it just hurt more. Mainly it was because he had to face someone who willingly followed him when he used to kill Jedi. It brought back bad memories and the familiar self-loathing that Kirabaros at one time told him fiercely to get rid of.

They were standing on the shore of the Chinooka River before Atton was to return to Coruscant to carry out his new duties as a Jedi. Kirabaros was tossing some fry bread mixed with rice into the river when Atton walked up and asked, “Something up?”

Kirabaros tossed another handful in before saying, “You still carry much guilt.”

“Look who’s talking,” Atton retorted getting defensive.

“I’ve learned to let it go but this is not about me,” Kirabaros calmly replied, “In order for you to face the challenges that will come your way, you have to let it all go.”

“Look, it’s bad enough that I have to leave Morgan here…”

“I am not speaking of that but rather of your past activities,” Kirabaros turned to look Atton in the eye. “They have held you back and I suspect create a desperate need to live.”

Atton squirmed slightly for this reminded him of when Kreia crawled into his head a wrestled out his secrets. He began to flush and wanted to turn tail and run but was held by Kirabaros’ calm and reassuring hand. Kirabaros then said, “There will come a time when you will have to face that which you have done. You have to be able to battle it by believing that you have changed, believe in yourself.”

“What do you mean?” Atton asked.

“We all have to face our pasts. It’s what you do then that defines who you are. For you to succeed, you have to let the guilt go away so that you have no excuses should you fail,” Kirabaros replied.

“I admit that I am afraid,” Atton replied, turning away.

“Don’t carry that fear around inside of you. Let it go,” Kirabaros responded before turning back to the river to continue tossing fry bread and rice into the river. “May the gods grant a safe journey home.”

Atton thought about that day he spent in Kirabaros’ company. He then wondered if that conversation had been the result of a vision. Next to Revan, he was the only one who knew that sometimes Kirabaros received such visions through the Force. Everyone else thought that they were ramblings or something. That caused Atton to wonder why they had to keep running and hiding. It had been two years since the great evil had been defeated but it was like Kirabaros was still running from a shadow and no one knew why. Not even Michaela though she knew more than most people.

Atton couldn’t think more when he felt the sting of antibiotics on his ribcage. He turned to find the strange woman who helped him escape applying whatever it was to his ribs. Michaela had gone to the cockpit after scolding him mildly about being careful. The funny thing was that she was much younger than he and should have been more respectful but her excuse was that she lived with a warrior. He looked at the woman and studied her.

She was a pretty woman with ivory skin that was tanned. Her hair was a dark brown tinged with reddish streaks as if they had been bleached. She wore a short dark brown jacket over a black tube top. Her holster was slung low over her hips that were hugged in tight black pants that met with her boots. She was short but she was strong for she nearly pulled his arm out of the socket when she yanked him up the stairs.

Kiera was aware of how much the Jedi was studying her. She suspected that he wasn’t always a Jedi from the way he was staring at her. She decided to get him focused by applying a little more pressure to the rake to his ribs. Satisfied at the grunt he gave, she smiled and asked, “So, why were the three of you at Nar Shaddaa?”

“Heard about the call for bounty hunters and we needed the credits,” Atton uttered the lie.

His reward was another sting. Kiera said, “Sithspit first lie. You want to try again?”

“Fine,” Atton conceded, “We were there on a mission for a friend.” It was a partial truth but he wasn’t sure of whether or not to trust this woman.

“And you dropped right into a nest of gundarks and the guy in charge of hiring knows you. At least that’s a start, Jedi,” and Kiera applied the last of the antiseptic and threw Atton’s shirt at him. She turned to leave but not before she added, “By the way, your friend Michaela filled me in.”

Atton said nothing but watched her leave. He fumbled into his tunic while grumbling about her. Finished, he made his way to the main hold where Michaela was sitting at the communications console. He tapped her shoulder just as she was finished and asked, “What’s up with the new girl?”

Michaela had switched to a data console and was examining data when she answered, “She has joined us. I told her everything worth mentioning.”

“Kirabaros?”

“No,” Michaela scrolled through her data, “Only that we were trying to prevent a war. Nothing more.”

Atton nodded and made to turn away to relieve Rowan in the cockpit for a few hours. He was stopped when Michaela spoke up, “You didn’t banish it. You were not ready to face him yet.”

Atton turned to look at her. All he saw was her back but he asked just the same, “What did you say?”

Michaela turned to face him. She looked him in the eye and repeated, “You weren’t ready. You still carry that fear inside you.”

“What do you know about that?”

“I know nothing except what your personal signature in the Force tells me,” Michaela explained. “He is not the only one who can sense these things.”

“Maybe so but that doesn’t give you the right to pry into my head,” Atton was getting indignant.

“I did no such thing Atton.” Michaela stood up to her full height. “Or should I say Jaq?”

“That is not my name!”

Michaela softened her voice, “I know that. What I am saying is that the more you hide, the more the fear and the guilt grows. I think she once said that it squirms like a worm inside of you.” She paused to scan Atton’s features. She could see the anger and sense the feelings of violation. She continued, “He said to let it go. Don’t let this past dictate who you are.”

Atton had been schooling his rage at mentioning of his past till it became nothing more than a dying ember. Feeling that he could control his voice he said, “I knew him. I was him.”

“I know,” Michaela replied softly.

“I taught him things I knew but not all. I taught him to kill Jedi.” Atton was then struck with a realization. He said, “He was the one who shot at Kirabaros.”

“I know.” Michaela sat back down. “Atton, we all have our demons. This race of deception leads to only one course, the facing of those demons.”

“How and when?”

Michaela shrugged her shoulders. She then replied, “They are heading to Amshrey so he’s all right. We are heading to Tatooine since we are low on some supplies and it is fairly close.”

“The girl?”

“A comrade fighting the same cause.”

‘Tatooine?”

“Tatooine.”
 CSI
01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Another good chapter. I like it. Nothing to comment on, for now.
 Diego Varen
01-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Another good chapter. I like it. Nothing to comment on, for now.

Agreed, although it was nice to see some of Kreia's past. She is one of my favourite characters. Looking foward to more.
 igyman
01-01-2007, 4:10 PM
Good chapter, keep up the good work. Sorry for not providing a better comment, but I'm really tired and I can barely think. :)
 JediMaster12
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was trying to show the friendship that Kirabaros has with Atton. It becomes important for later adventures after this fic. I just wanted to point out that the rice being thrown into the water is an old Japanese custom. It was done to wish the travelers a safe journey home. It is symbolic in that Atton has to make a journey and Kirabaros is wishing it to be safe since he won't be there to tell him.

You know I am surprised you guys don't see that. Then again I don't notice how powerful it is until after I read the chapter.

Well that said and done I have another chapter for you. There is action and reflection. On a side note the action scene was inspired by the fight scene in The Mummy Returns since the action was crisp and the like. Well enjoy...

Chapter 36
Tulre was busy with the blade on his lap. He held a welding tool in one hand and some sort pick in his mouth. He ignored the sounds of the clashing blades in the practice ring as he put the finishing touches on the blade edge he was working on. Morgan was helping him by handing tools and upgrades that he fixed when he needed them after they were scanned by T3. The boys had welcomed the droid with hugs after the adults were out of sight and the droid warbled at them with the same enthusiasm and inquired after any help they needed.

It almost seemed like home but it was dampened by the fact that Revan had not recognized either of the boys. Even after giving her various blades to practice with, it was obvious that her mind was elsewhere. Tulre didn’t let his disappointment show as he fixed the blade that had broken the day before. Occasionally he would lift his head to watch his Aunt Reva practice with one of the blades that he made. It made him proud that the ones he made lasted longer than the ones that the other swords smith made but he would never voice that. Pride was cautioned against, even more so when it concerned the Jedi.

Joran was the swords smith in the hamachi but he was a malcontent old man. For many years he had strove to become a maiko but it never happened. He made good blades and Mamesa encouraged him to continue that line of trade. He noticed that Tulre and Morgan were good with their hands and asked the okвsan to let them enter a term of apprenticeship. He had them for three months and had a further five days with them. He tried getting Mamesa to extend it but she was adamant about the original contract. In the end he piled the work on the boys but they bested him by having it done. So while they were helping the participants in the Shaak Ti, he hid himself in his hut and worked on separating the ores, leaving the boys alone.

Tulre knew of this and plunged into his work. Finished, he and Morgan sat and watched as Revan and Caelos stood off in a makeshift dueling circle. The warriors had been practicing for the past day and Dustil shown some impressive skill and was able to best his father, who admitted that he was better as a marksman. Caelos was undefeated so far. Having been raised as an Avalonian from birth, he grew up with a sword in his hand, as the saying goes. He managed to beat everyone else. Today was his turn with Revan.

The two faced off in the ring with their blades drawn. When Yasha, the ‘referee,’ clapped his hands together, they turned away from each other into a pose. At the call to begin, both combatants turned rapidly and began swinging. No sound was made except for the grunts of the combatants and the clangs of the blades against each other. Caelos had speed and flexibility on his side and Revan had experience. It was a good match and all the maiko stopped from their practice to watch.

Caelos backpedaled quite a bit and stayed on the back foot. Kirabaros had taught him to hold his own and wait and see what his opponent would do. He held against Revan fairly well though her strikes and parries were powerful and could be felt down his arms when her blade clashed with his. In a quick move, he locked his blade with Revan’s and spun behind her. His right hand clasped he right wrist and he tried to wrench her other hand behind her.

Revan countered by bring her leg straight up a kneeing Caelos in the face. She gave a slight grin when she heard him grunt at point of contact. She then turned around to face him and swung in a downward arc towards his knees.

Caelos was ready for her and blocked. He brought her sword around and locked it to the ground. He countered her punch by blocking it with his free hand and locked his hand on her wrist. With a twist, he flipped her over onto her back while freeing her sword so that it fell a few inches from her outstretched hand. Oblivious to the polite clapping from the maiko Caelos looked at Revan and said in Avalonian, “Get up. The Shaak Ti cannot be won by you lying there.”

Revan responded by flipping forward, an amazing feat considering that she hadn’t really been up to date in terms of training. Anyone who was casually watching would have thought it normal since she didn’t appear to be a woman of some thirty years. She twirled her blade in which Caelos responded in a similar manner until they paused into a pose. She led off with a thrust, which he blocked. She then gave off a series of parries and thrusts, trying to get inside. When Caelos came in with a thrust, she sidestepped and grabbed his sword hand. With her blade, she knocked his out of his hand. Falling in motion, she spun him away.

Caelos used his momentum to flip to the edge of the circle where he grabbed a staff. He twirled it and looked at Revan with the unspoken challenge in his eye. He was pleased when Revan threw her own blade into an old table and assumed a fighting stance. Caelos tossed her the staff he had and grabbed another and immediately came forward and twirled it. Not a word was spoken as the wood clunked against each other. It was punctuated by Revan grunting with her swings. She was at a disadvantage since she hadn’t had much practice with a staff like weapon. She lost her staff when Caelos managed an upward hook swing that sent it flying. She countered by managing to grab Caelos’ staff but he flipped her over onto her back and placed the end of his staff near her throat. He smiled at her and spoke in Basic, “You’re good Revan. I think you’ll give ‘em hell at the Shaak Ti,” and moved to help her up.

Tulre and Morgan had watched the entire thing and were impressed with the whole thing. Morgan said, “I wish I were big enough to enter.”

“Me too,” Tulre agreed.

“I bet you would make it into the top ten,” Morgan replied.

“Sure,” Tulre answered. “I’m good but not that good. Besides Mamesa says that it is unbecoming of an apprentice maiko.”

“But we are not…” Morgan began.

“Not what,” a voice interrupted them.

The boys jumped to face Carth who was amused at their reaction. When they didn’t answer, he asked again, “You aren’t what? Maiko?” He then kneeled next to them so he could whisper to them, “You are not maiko but you are missed.” He smiled at them and went to greet his wife who was taking her licks from the lighthearted jabs of the maiko.

Tulre and Morgan watched as Carth walked away. Some how their day just became brighter. At least one person knew who they were and it meant a lot more to them than anything in the world. Morgan smiled as he raced off to get his pack. He was to go into the settlement and pick up some more power cells for Tulre.

Lady Mara was not a cruel woman. Indeed she tried to make concessions for everyone to the best of her ability. Even a person with a vast store of patience has limits. After the fiasco during in the Senate, she couldn’t stand the presence of arrogant Republics. True that there were those who were sympathetic and supported Avalon and they weren’t classed with the others but the accusations were an insult to the integrity of the Avalonian people. She wasn’t going to take it any more.

As soon as she and the senator left, she immediately cut all trade to the Republic except the sympathizers. The effects were immediately felt and the retaliation began. In one day there were reports of revolts against the Avalonians as they pulled out. Some were gravely injured but Lady Mara didn’t respond with violence. That was not the Avalonian way. It wasn’t until the reports of an unprovoked attack on a camp in the Yavin system that she ordered the fleet and the ground troops to mobilize. It was because of that she was called to the Chancellor’s office to explain the unusual activity.

“Lady Mara, you do understand that I am a supporter of Avalon being a member of the Republic?” the Chancellor asked.

“I do Chancellor,” Lady Mara replied, “That is why those systems that support our inclusion have not been affected.”

“Your quarantine affects everyone,” the Chancellor countered.

“It is unfortunate and true but after seeing what the other members of the Republic think of us, I cannot help but wonder if it was wise in the first place.” Mara didn’t want to admit it but that very remark spoke of doubt in Kirabaros since he began this.

“My Lady,” the Chancellor began.

“Chancellor, I understand that there are bound to be disagreements. All the senators try to balance their own ideals with what is good for the people and that often is a basis for disagreement. However, to openly insult Avalon’s representative, therefore insulting us as a whole, questioning our very existence, it hurts,” Lady Mara looked across the desk at the Chancellor. She could see the desperate plea in his eyes, begging her to not be so harsh, to end this by leaving well alone and take the kicks as they come.

“Insults must be taken as they come,” the Chancellor admitted. He hoped that the Lady Governor of Avalon would see that he wanted her to back down. He didn’t want another war as much as she but her persistence in wounding the Republic like this was taking it a bit too far in his mind.

“You mean take it lying down,” Mara clarified.

“If that is how you see it,” the Chancellor replied. “There are some battles that you can’t fight at the moment. Pick and choose them.”

“I can’t do that,” Mara looked at the Chancellor. The regret was plain in her eyes. “You cannot ask me to ignore this and I cannot ignore it.”

“Why?”

Lady Mara studied the surface of the desk before looking at the Chancellor. “We are proud people, much like any other. We believe in acceptance based on the deeds one does. What the one you call Darth Revan, we have never met that person. The Revan we see and live with is a loving, caring wife and mother who is devoted to the Jedi Order though not all its principles. You say that Kirabaros is a legend. He is a man who has done a great service by first uniting the dissident people within our own system before bringing us to the Republic.”

“So you do this because of them?” the Chancellor asked.

“We have done this because they are a part of our people, our way of life. It makes us who we are. I think some of your senators forget that,” Mara replied softly. She then got up and with a rustle of skirts, made her way to the door. Before exiting, she paused to face the Chancellor. She said, “We bear you no ill will but we must protect that which is a part of us,” and she turned and left, leaving the Chancellor watching her retreating figure.

The Chancellor sat down and remained in his seat until Admiral Keegan came in. The first words out of Keegan’s mouth were, “Well, are they going to back down?”

“No,” the Chancellor replied, “They are going to continue their selective trading.”

“The biggest bunch of hypocrites and traitors if I ever saw one,” Keegan spat with such vehemence that the Chancellor glanced at him with surprise mingled with suspicion.

“Perfectly within their providence,” he cautiously replied.

“So you are going to let them do whatever they want without any regard for our laws?” Keegan questioned the Chancellor.

“The Republic more or less doesn’t exist out in the Outer Rim yet we still have merchants coming from there,” the Chancellor stated a fact. He was suspicious at Keegan’s bursts of anger towards the Avalonian.

“So they are above the law? You can’t allow that. The Jedi already do that and it wouldn’t do to have the Avalonians be in the same rank,” Keegan countered, “They have been lying us from day one trying to get more concessions.”

“Possibly but now I must go. I have a meeting with a committee,” the Chancellor allowed, uttering the lie to be out of Keegan’s presence. He needed time alone to think so he politely showed Keegan out. Out of Keegan’s presence, he decided to head towards his favorite spot. They said that he was welcome to come as often as he wished. To him that was proof that the Jedi were not the animals that Keegan believed them to be. He was met along the way by one of the lieutenants that acted as a courier between him and Admiral Dodonna. The courier handed him a datapad over which he frowned over the rest of the way there.

“Milady, if we mobilize, we risk getting into armed conflict with the Republic,” Senator Amstar was saying to Lady Mara in the privacy of the apartment.

“We have no choice. The Republic must see that we will fight to preserve our way of life, the one that he brought us,” Lady Mara replied.

“I seriously doubt that he would want us to go to war over this,” the senator countered.

“He would want us to share our ways. Not change them because they appear strange to the republic,” Mara retorted. Her temper was starting to flare a bit. “To join was probably not the wisest of ideas.”

“Do you doubt him?” Senator Amstar queried.

Lady Mara regretted what she said. She turned and placed a hand over her eyes as if she had a headache. “No, not him.” She turned to face the senator and said, “I don’t doubt him but I doubt his faith in the Republic. After what I have seen, I cannot help but determine if he had been misled.”

“What if one of our own has betrayed us?”

“How so?” Mara asked interested.

“Who else knows about our laws in detail? Whoever it was could have fed it to that admiral that despises us and hates the Jedi,” the senator replied. “This could not merely be a troublemaking person.”

“No. This is about revenge,” Lady Mara looked at the senator. “The forces that attacked the settlements on Yavin IV. The reports said that they were composed of mainly Outcasts but also there were bounty hunters and mercenaries amongst their numbers.”

“Traditionally traitors have used the Outcasts for they are driven solely by a lust for revenge,” the senator added.

“Before he left for Coruscant, Kirabaros said that they had been attacked by bounty hunters, one who especially was skilled at tracking Jedi,” Mara thought allowed. She had begun pacing with her hand to her chin.

“He has had many enemies since he ended the segregation and he has made many strange requests…”

“Very clever,” Mara mused not entirely listening. She turned towards the senator and said, “We will continue as planned. We will defend our settlements.”

Senator Amstar watched with a look of astonishment as Lady Mara sauntered to her bedroom. Somehow she thought that Mara hadn’t heard a word that was said. She wondered if Mara had become as narrow minded as some of the senators.
 Diego Varen
01-03-2007, 1:46 AM
Another good Chapter as always JM12.
 igyman
01-03-2007, 6:35 AM
You know I am surprised you guys don't see that.
Don't be. I rarely notice those things. The only thing I did notice is what's so obvious that there isn't a person in the world who wouldn't notice it - that you have incorporated elements of Japanese culture into your Avalonian society and into this story and you have done so extremely well.
As for this chapter, again great work. I enjoyed the Chancellor and Lady Mara dialogue, it emphasizes the traits of the Avalonians, but also adds a little mystery when future events are concerned.
 JediMaster12
01-05-2007, 1:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The emphasis on the traits is what was going through my mind on how AValonians should be. They are the kind of people that can inspect a situation and the are not the kind to back down easily. These traits are actually part of one of my characters for another story I am writing besides my archaeology story except this one is about a dead Naval officer who recounts his experiences from the dead through his granddaughter as they relate to her life. As you can see it is reflective of my nature; I prefer the internal examination thing.

As to the Japanese culture mingled into Avalonian culture, it is comingled with ideas from Buddhism and Confucianism, many Oriental cultures. The segregation and the camps and townships that were briefly mentioned here and are in detail in HotG are from South African history. Mostly I saw the Avalonians as a deep thinking people who write poetry and practice a code of honor with the sword. The code of the samurai always inspired me.

Anyway, thanks again for being loyal readers. I will have a new chapter up just as soon as I finish thirty-nine.
 JediMaster12
01-08-2007, 6:48 PM
Well here it is another chapter. I know it's a long story but when you have many subplots coming together it takes up a lot of space. To hold the suspense, it contains the answer to igyman's questions about the Blood King and maybe a few predictions of what's to come.

I'll just say it I am making the manuscript fly again over your eager heads.

Chapter 37
The fires were burning as members of both sides were driven by the power of the temples. Each side fought with fury, bent on destroying one another. The rivers of blood flowed everywhere. The once life giving rivers were now stained with blood killing everything. The fires burned with an intense heat and the bodies stared out of their lifeless eyes.

Kirabaros stood in the middle of the field. The smoke swirled about him as Outcasts, mercs and bounty hunters ran past him to meet the Bushida warriors. He walked as the mortars exploded around him, gazing at the dead and the dying. He continued walking, following this shadow that led him deep into the thick smoke into a clearing. There was fighting on both sides as they clashed and the rivers of blood flowed freely but it didn’t affect Kirabaros as he walked freely between the bodies and the chaos. The shadow that he had been following stood clearly in front of him, grinning as if he had been waiting for him.

The Blood King stood his full height, the height of classic Avalonian, and grinned a sardonic grin at Kirabaros. He said, “Once again we meet at the field of battle. Such is the destiny of people such as us.”

Kirabaros, against his better judgment, responded, “The future comes of its own accord.”

The Blood King chuckled, “The words of a Jedi: always preaching to accept that which comes.”

“I take it that this meeting was not by chance and you have something to say,” Kirabaros said, annoyed at the mockery.

“I wouldn’t have been able to meet you under normal circumstances,” the Blood King replied almost bored as he approached closer. “That, whatever it was, was able to allow you to see me though I must say that you haven’t coped very well.”

“I don’t think that was the maker’s intention,” Kirabaros grumbled. He had no fear of this person anymore. Then looking at the battle around them, he asked, “Is this the future?”

“You tell me. I’m from your past as well as he,” was the reply.

“Who? Draconis? Nah, he’s one of many who hated me after your time,” Kirabaros answered as if the conversation were a friendly banter between friends.

“Still, if you want this new world that you hoped for, you have to fight it.”

They were stopped by a sight that had Kirabaros open his eyes in shock. The three human children were running through the middle of the battle followed by an alien child. Tulre was tugging on Lilah and Morgan with both hands while a fourth, unmistakably a Cathar, followed them and they were running from Draconis. They were ignoring the explosions as they ran into one of the temples. The Blood King looked amused as he said, “Cute little sprats.”

Kirabaros said nothing as he watched Draconis wielding his heavy blade with a malicious intent chase after the children. It was obvious that Draconis intended to murder them or something. He began to chase after him, leaving the Blood King standing there. He heard nothing as he ran across the field. He then began to see images of death, those that he knew covered in blood, screaming. It was deafening to his ears so that he put his hands over his ears. He squeezed his eyes shut and the darkness consumed him. A voice called his name, “Kirabaros…”

“Kirabaros?” Mission shook her friend’s shoulder. When he nearly fell, she steadied him, trying to get him to sit. He kept grasping his head as if there were a loud noise. She knew that he had sensitive hearing and wondered if it was something that he could hear but they couldn’t. When he finally opened his eyes, she smiled in relief and said, “You scared the poodoo out of me.”

Kirabaros looked around before replying, “Sorry Blue.”

“You wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.” Then seeing the look on her face, he acquiesced, “I saw what is to come but not really. Bah, it sounds like the ramblings of a crazy man.” He then got up and went to the door. He paused to tell Mission, “Tell me when we dock.” He then left and disappeared down the corridors. He ignored Juhani as he passed her into the cargo door where he shut the door and sealed it. Right now he just wanted to be alone, in the dark.

Tatooine, a planet of sand full of moisture farmers for the most part and a few space ports that are havens for those who didn’t wish to be found. Michaela found none of these things to be a problem. The immediate problem lay in their supply stores particularly their power sources and charges. The detonation device she had used on Nar Shaddaa consumed much of their demolitions supplies, more than she anticipated. The other problem lay in their finances. Though they had Republic credits, they were virtually worthless. They were somewhere between a rock and a hard place.

Those were thoughts running through Michaela’s head as she walked with Kiera through the market area of Anchorhead. They had just come from the third dealer they had been in and they had decided to take a shortcut to the cantina for a drink. They were crossing the street when Michaela abruptly stopped, causing Kiera to bump into her. Kiera responded, “Hey, what gives?”

Michaela wasn’t listening. She sensed something through the Force, something that was familiar but changed. She calmed her mind and stood there, reaching out as she did when she looked for Atton. She didn’t close her eyes but actually moved them along with her head as she scanned the street. She said to Kiera, “Someone’s here,” and she smiled slightly.

Kiera interpreted the response to mean that a threat was coming and she had her hand near her blaster and looking around. Seeing that no one was approaching, she was becoming increasingly aware of a feeling of embarrassment. Kiera looked at Michaela who had stopped scanning and was focusing on a small boy with messy hair. She then realized that Michaela was some sort of Jedi and suspected that the tall man was one as well. When Michaela started to move towards the boy, Kiera stopped her and asked, “The kid?”

“He’s the one,” Michaela calmly answered and continued towards the boy.

Morgan had stopped at the favored junk dealer who sold good power cells and blade upgrades for reasonable prices. He purchased what Tulre specifically asked for and some things extra, things that would impress Tulre. He was telling the merchant that he wagered that the duelists from the hamachi could best the bounty hunters and the mercs in the Shaak Ti. It was a friendly wager of trading goods which the crotchety merchant took part in with great pleasure. Morgan said, “I wager three chargers that the hamachi has the best warriors.”

“I’ll take that bet Chiyo and I’ll throw in my best vibro cell for good measure,” the merchant, an elderly Ithorian, spoke with a chuckle in his native language.

“You’re on Habas,” Morgan pointed in good humor at the Ithorian. He packed the last of the cells into his pack and slung it on his little shoulder. “See ya at the match.”

“I’ll be there,” Habas replied before returning to work.

Morgan left the shop and became aware immediately that someone was following him. It wasn’t that Rodian that had bothered him and Tulre whenever they went into Anchorhead; it was warm and loving. He decided to stop at an outdoor vendor for a treat for Tulre, Kimiko, and Lilah. He was aware of the presence and it wasn’t alone. The second one was strange to him but he sensed that it meant no harm. He waited, patiently.

Michaela followed the little boy to the vendor and watched him as he made his purchases. She was almost to him when she tripped over a womp rat. Looking up, she saw that he was gone. She looked around, reaching out with the Force to find him only to find that she couldn’t. She continued her search, puzzled.

Kiera managed to catch up with Michaela’s fast pace. She almost tripped over her when Michaela tripped on the womp rat. She stumbled to maintain her balance and asked, “Why did you stop?”

Michaela stood there looking around. She then replied, “He was here but now he is not.”

“Who are you talking about?” Kiera asked rather impatiently. She was already annoyed at being led on some Bantha chase. Michaela’s vague talk was annoyed her more.

Michaela didn’t answer as she continued to look around. She thought that she was losing her mind but it had been an unmistakable signature within the Force. She was about to give up when a little voice piped up behind her, “Have you come to take me to my papa?”

Morgan had recognized the woman who had been following him but he wanted to be sure. After buying the treats, he managed to duck behind passer-bys and, using the trick that he, Tulre and Lilah had learned, circled around to behind the woman. When she turned around, he knew that the woman was Tulre’s mother. He could also sense that she knew about his papa or had seen him. He had to ask though he had learned not to dwell on it.

As he approached from behind, he grew more confident and comfortable with the one who had been following him. The other one he wasn’t sure about but she was friendly. Morgan let his natural curiosity guide him as he camouflaged himself within the Force. It was a trick he used when he wanted to hide from Joran or Mamesa but that was only to tease her. It was neat when Tulre and Lilah joined in for even old Tante didn’t know if they were there or not.

He had this in effect as he planted his two feet firmly behind the pair of women who were scanning the settlement in front of them. His pack hung across his chest by its strap as he waited. He waited while the two women exchanged words with each other. He waited until the strange woman finished her question and his new aunt paused to answer. In a strong voice, he asked, “Have you come to take me to my papa?”

Michaela spun around and saw a small boy with messy dark hair, brown eyes and a face that could work its way into a smirk if given the chance. She recognized that face and smiled warmly at the boy. In response to his question she replied, “I can’t take you home but I can bring him to you, Morgan.”

Morgan rewarded her with a hug. He then said, “Here my name is Chiyo. Okвsan says so.” Then noticing the other woman he asked, “Who’s she?” and pointed at Kiera.

Kiera was stunned at this little reunion. At first she thought that maybe the boy belonged to Michaela but upon closer inspection, she recognized the scoundrel that she traveled with. The boy could be a spitting image of him but only cuter, as children could be and she had a weakness for children. When the boy Morgan asked who she was, she was at a loss for words. She fumbled at something decent to say, “I…um…I’m…”

“She’s a friend who is helping us. Her name is Kiera,” Michaela rescued her.

Pleased with the answer, Morgan didn’t question any further. Instead he asked, “You want to see Shang?”

Michaela was puzzled at first by whom Shang was. She lifted an inquiring eyebrow at Morgan but all she got was his little face staring back at her, waiting for an answer. It then struck her that he didn’t go by Morgan here nor did Tulre and Lilah go by their names here. Her face then bloomed into a smile and she replied, “Yes Morgan and I am sure your papa will want to see you too.”

Morgan returned the smile and said, “Follow me. I am late getting back to the hamachi.”

Michaela nodded and beckoned him to show the way. She was glad that at least Morgan was safe. That meant that Atton would be a hair’s breadth less anxious. She smiled slightly at the thought for Atton hid it well behind a mask of sarcasm when it suited him. She had no doubts that the others were fine as well. She was thinking of this when Morgan interrupted her thoughts by saying, “Everyone’s good. My name is Chiyo.” He beamed as he said it.

Michaela said nothing but smiled. Kiera wasn’t satisfied with the answer and asked, “Why Chiyo? I thought your name was Morgan?”

Morgan stopped to look at Kiera. He regarded her like a wolf pup looking at a fish in a river and cocked his head. He then replied, “Okвsan said that was my name for the hamachi. Like a secret.” He then continued along the street.

Kiera became thoughtful about the response. It was obvious to her that he was in hiding but from what and why were still questions running through her mind. True that she had part of the picture when Michaela told her and what she rung out of the scoundrel but she was curious especially with the boy. She wanted to know who the others he was talking about were. The words he used were different too and she was at a loss to what he meant. She worded her question carefully, “Why do you need to keep a secret?”

Michaela answered, “Not here in the open,” then seeing that Kiera was going to protest, “I’ll explain when we are amongst friends.”

Kiera saw that Michaela meant what she said. Well, she knew that when Michaela asked or implied something, it was followed to the letter. She found out from Rowan that Michaela was someone to be obeyed especially when the situation was serious. She nodded and followed the little boy to this place called the hamachi.

When they reached a series of huts, Kiera’s eyes opened. The settlement of Anchorhead looked like a sleepy town chock full of unscrupulous characters but here it was…different. The huts didn’t look like they blended in with the landscape and the people were upright, not downtrodden. It was well, peaceful. Her eyes roamed a bit until they fell on the boy who beckoned them to follow.

Michaela was delighted that Kiera was amazed by her people and seemed to like what she saw. She herself saw that the head of the hamachi was a good leader. Michaela also sensed that there were friends here as well. She guided Kiera to follow Morgan who led them to the back of the largest hut where another boy was sitting, sharpening a blade. Her heart warmed at the sight of her son and was aware that she wasn’t displeased by what she saw. She didn’t move but Morgan called out in Avalonian, “Shang, look who’s here.”

Tulre knew his mother was there before he saw her. Even after Morgan called to him, he took his time. He loved his mother dearly and desperately wanted to run to her and give her a hug but he kept his reserve. He greeted her calmly and gently, “Hello, mother.” He then noticed Kiera but he didn’t worry. If Morgan thought it was all right then so did he.

Michaela said nothing but smiled at her husband’s son. She then replied, “Shang, I see that you have become accustomed to life at the hamachi.”

Tulre smiled but didn’t reply. Instead he beckoned the two women to follow him inside. They followed his movements as he removed his shoes and led them to the main room where there were voices coming through the thin wood walls. He kneeled by the door and spoke that there were visitors in Avalonian. He slid the door open and let them in but didn’t go in himself. He remained with Morgan kneeling by the door until he heard his Aunt Reva exclaim, “Michaela!” He and Morgan both smiled big.
 Diego Varen
01-09-2007, 1:30 AM
It's nice to see the Blood King again and was all the parts in italics copied directly from The Rise of the Blood King/Return of Kirabaros Fics? I see Kirabaros doesn't want to tell anyone, because of bad memories or something. Good Chapter (I think this is longer than The Rise of the Blood King) and I'm looking foward to more. I hope the Heart of Deception is the beginning of a new Heart of the Guardian Trilogy, which needs to be posted in the Jedi Archives.
 igyman
01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow. Again an exquisite chapter, thought I would have probably divided it into two for the purposes of easier reading, but still, well done. The dream with the Blood King was something I especially liked. A vision of the past and the future at the same time. Nice.
 JediMaster12
01-09-2007, 1:32 PM
To answer your question Pottsie, no I did not take this from HotG and stop pestering me about putting it in the archives. I am trying to edit it!!!! I noticed grammar error and continuity issues that I am trying to resolve. The dream sequence is a prediction of what will come.

igyman: Yeah it probably should have been separated but I slipped into a theme that the two traveling parties should be placed in the same chapter if possible and things like with the baddie and the Senate proceedings in the same chapter. There is a loose connection there and I intentionally put it that way.

The whole dream sequence was my intention to bring about what was previously discussed with Atton and is remenicent of HotG: you have to face your past. You can run and hide of even pretend that it's not there but eventually you have to come to terms with it. Forgive me but I have a big thing for stories with meaning and the whole deeper meaning thing. Too many Eng lit analyzations that carried over into cultural analyzation. The reunion that I inserted on Tatooine was my blatant attempt for Kiera to get to know a certain scoundrel better and what better way than to do that through the kid. Working on a new chapter that involves a Mandalorian and some more suprises til the big showdown.

As to another trilogy, I have to think about that. I could continue this line of thought but I am seriously considering rewriting my Lost Tales of Revan. I just have to see what happens.
 Diego Varen
01-09-2007, 2:04 PM
To answer your question Pottsie, no I did not take this from HotG and stop pestering me about putting it in the archives. I am trying to edit it!!!! I noticed grammar error and continuity issues that I am trying to resolve. The dream sequence is a prediction of what will come.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, that wasn't my original intention. Perhaps you're like Jae, trying to get everything just right.
 JediMaster12
01-09-2007, 3:15 PM
Yes I am extreme perfectionist that simply blows a head gasket if it is not exactly right at the right time. I am obessed with perfection. Everything must be perfect of the world will end.

Joking aside it's OK Pottsie. I am a bit like Jae and the first part is undergoing serious editing due to the fact that the other two books have epilogues and story flow is not quite right. The first one really bugged me after I wrote it so I am looking at it and trying to see how to make it better. That's the thing about being a writer. You always are looking to improve what you have written maybe because you have more info or whatever. Don't worry about it. When you see the thread that says [FIN] Star Wars: Heart of the Guardian, you can do a little happy dance on the comment thread. OK?
 Diego Varen
01-09-2007, 3:34 PM
That's the thing about being a writer. You always are looking to improve what you have written maybe because you have more info or whatever.

I have to agree with you there JM12. I'm not pleased with how I wrote my two current Fics, Echoes of Darkness and Unsatisfied Hunger and I'm currently doing a re-write of the both of them, before posting them here. So, perhaps I'm also a perfectionist, I'm not sure.
 JediMaster12
01-09-2007, 9:08 PM
That was sarcasm in my first lines Pottsie. It is true that I can be a perfectionist at times but only if it is something extremely important to me. I will say this, I am glad that you have enjoyed my fics and have said so. I have heard my family say that my work is good but you know how that is: they're your family and they don't want to hurt your feelings. I'll have another chapter when I finish my route where Kirabaros meets Canderous again. That's a spoiler for you guys.
 JediMaster12
01-10-2007, 6:14 PM
Here is another chapter o ye huddled masses. This is one of those things that leaves a ton of questions and leaves some answered. I do have my disclaimer that parts of the dialogue and scene setting are from Memoirs of a Geisha, a scene that is meaningful and it gives more into personality and character. So for ye huddled masses I give you...

Chapter 38
Draconis was angry and he desperately wanted to vent it. First his archenemy escapes with the help of an old man and a Cathar Jedi and the squadron that had been distracting them left them with extensive damage to the port engines. He then learned that his prize bounty hunter was missing and the army he was building was fighting over who was in charge. Things were looking pretty bad out there in the Outer Rim. Draconis knew this and it showed with him pacing around in the debriefing room. He was joined by Admiral Keegan who had left after his meeting with the Chancellor to report the news of what Avalon was up to. Out of habit, he saluted Draconis, who scowled at him, and said, “News from Coruscant milord.”

Draconis stopped pacing and eyed Keegan with suspicion. He replied, “What is it then?”

Keegan his peevishness as he replied, “Your Lady Mara declared Avalon pulled out of trade with the Republic.”

Draconis responded with indifference, “So? I knew she would do that. Mr. Sixty Minutes, tell me something I don’t know.”

“The systems that felt the embargo have responded with attack and the Jedi are at a loss of what to do,” Keegan replied.

“That, I did not know.” Draconis then crossed the room towards Keegan with a smile that sent a chill down Keegan’s spine. Draconis paused, his face close to Keegan’s, and said, “That is good news. This coupled with the final show down will finally bring back everything that is supposed to be. Good job Keegan.” Draconis flashed a smile, masking his true feelings as he turned away and headed towards where he had dropped a datapad on the table. He picked it up and scanned the contents before turning back to Keegan and saying, “Our bounty hunter is missing. Go to the smuggler’s moon and organize that rabble. We’ll need them.”

“And my job at the fleet?” Keegan asked.

“Call it a holiday. I don’t really care. Get there immediately and find something that won’t make you stand out,” Draconis waved his hand in an absent manner not acknowledging Keegan.

Keegan watched as Draconis took no interest in him after dismissing him. He was peeved that Draconis was not exhibiting his usual cold manner that spoke of the mischief he was planning. It was almost as if he didn’t care anymore and he grew suspicious. Keegan had heard that the great Kirabaros was known for portraying one emotion and following through with another and he wondered if all Avalonians were as good. He said nothing but turned and walked out of the debriefing room to head to the communications room to request leave for awhile.

Draconis felt the suspicion roll off in waves. He was pleased that Keegan was finally picking up on the Avalonian tendencies even if he fully didn’t understand them. He truly didn’t care how Keegan would do it but he wanted him to bring order to the group that Jaqrand had started. The bounty hunter was missing but not dead, that much was certain. It was confirmed when the door to the debriefing room slid open again. All Draconis did was turn to face the entrant and said, “I see that you have survived an encounter with a Jedi.”

The Chancellor had been sitting there for a long time. He looked lost as he sat on the cool stone bench staring into nothing as the water flowed with a gentle calm. Bastila and Karas saw that as they came from the main hall. It was actually Karas that mentioned that they had a visitor and that the visitor needed some advice. It was Karas who led the way to the Room of a Thousand Fountains with an air of calm acceptance where they found the Chancellor sitting.

The Chancellor had been bothered by the recent turn of events. The datapad he had from Admiral Dodonna was disturbing too. The galaxy he knew it seemed as if it were falling apart. He couldn’t believe that the Avalonians would intentionally attack Republic vessels, not after speaking to Lady Mara and discovering that they didn’t do anything unless provoked. Even then it was not their way to respond with violence and Kirabaros was a testament to that.

Admiral Dodonna had sent word that one of her admirals was missing and that there was unusual mobilization in the Outer Rim. Her report even mentioned some ambushes on cargo for the Republic, always in the same vicinity as Avalonian traders and the like. The poor Chancellor couldn’t help but think that maybe it was Avalonians going behind the Lady Governor’s back. It hurt and that was what was going through his mind when Bastila and Karas approached him.

Karas was the first to speak, “It is too pretty a day to be sad. Something wrong?”

Bastila glanced at her companion with ill concealed surprise. She could scarcely believe that he was acting so lighthearted. Then she remembered that Kirabaros was the same way. They both believed that if you greeted a situation, no matter how dire, with a little lightness in your heart, you could find the solution you are looking for. She said nothing and preferred to let Karas speak.

Karas barely heard the sudden intake that Bastila gave when he opened his mouth. He ignored it and continued in a pleasant manner, “We all have bad news from time to time. Surely if you share it with us, we can help.”

The Chancellor recognized the mannerism and almost mistook it to be Kirabaros. He looked at the Avalonian Jedi and replied, “Does a Jedi know how to solve which way is up or down?” It was a question for help and he hoped that this Jedi would understand.

Karas had the beginnings of a smile at the corners of his mouth. He replied, “Knowledge must be sought to seek an answer.”

“Do you believe the rumors?” The Chancellor looked intently at Karas who, by now, had seated himself on the ground in the kneeling fashion that Avalonians called sitting.

“No,” came the reply, “We don’t believe in attack without provocation. Even then we don’t strike with the sword.”

“Lady Mara said the same thing.”

“Do you doubt her?”

“No, but…”

“Understandable, Chancellor. You don’t know us well and you wish to be sure,” Karas interrupted with the elegance of a geisha, if he were a female. “I suggest that you sent a scouting group to the troubled places to report. I am sure that there are some Jedi who would be willing to do the same.”

Bastila chose to enter the conversation after the bewildering exchange of words between Master Karas and the Chancellor. She said, “Of course. I am sure that they are nothing but rumors.”

Karas nodded slightly to her as the Chancellor spoke, “What of the fleet? There seems to be a division of order especially with Admiral Keegan.”

“I know you are no fool Chancellor but I suspect that the admiral cannot tolerate Jedi and more likely one in particular,” Karas replied.

“Your Kirabaros?”

“No. Someone not of our world.” Karas studied the Chancellor. He had a distinct feeling that the Chancellor knew what he was going to do. He changed the subject slightly, “It would be good of you to go and speak to Admiral Dodonna about this and maybe the ones responsible for this division and rancor will be brought to light.”

The Chancellor didn’t respond except to nod his thanks as he stood up and declared his intentions. Karas remained sitting until he had left and then stood gracefully to face Bastila who asked, “Why did you deliberately lead the conversation like that?”

“A good politician knows how to use words that create a soothing atmosphere,” Karas replied as he started walking back into the Temple halls, “Besides Master Shan, he knows that Avalon bears no ill will and he knows the Jedi are loyal to the Republic. He sees the lies but he needs reinforcement.”

“So you lied?” Bastila queried, confused.

“No. I confirmed what Lady Mara spoke of at the Senate hearings.” Karas then looked around to make sure that no students were eavesdropping. He then began to speak softly, “The answers will be found in battle. I have foreseen it.”

“Where?” Bastila asked in the same soft tones.

“I cannot say but one of the places I suspect is Yavin system. Our people have settlements there and it was listed as a trouble spot on the Chancellor’s datapad. Are there sufficient Jedi to come?”

“Not many,” Bastila paused, “Are you sure?”

“If I am wrong…” Karas drifted off.

“Trust in the Force,” Bastila interjected. It was something that Kirabaros firmly believed in even when it conflicted with what was in his heart. They had both heard it many times before and each wondered if they would be able to hear it again.

Senator Amstar was frightened, a thing unbecoming of an Avalonian woman, especially a senator. After Lady Mara disclosed her intentions, she understood that things had gone too far to be solved with words but it was up to her to soften things with words. Her fear stemmed from the fact that the senators were raging in anger over the latest of incidents. She wasn’t afraid of the assassination attempts but afraid that everything that had been achieved through hard work would be turned into space dust. It all depended on this mobilization at Yavin and her words in the senate.

Sitting in the transport, she gazed out the glass to view the skyscrapers with an apparent look of fascination that masked her thoughts. She thought of her upcoming speech as she sat next to the senator from Ryloth who was speaking of possible strategies. She liked the senator and he spoke Basic very well. She expressed a warm gratitude for his support in this matter. She knew it stemmed from the fact that Kirabaros risked his life to save the senator’s. She knew this because the senator would tell the story to anyone who would listen. She was able to listen as she thought about Lady Mara’s orders.

Lady Mara was not dressed like the governor she was but rather like a warrior or a Handmaiden. She was tying her belt on her waist as she gave her last instruction to Senator Amstar, “Selene, we have only one last round at diplomacy. It will be up to you to try and ease the bad feelings.”

“What do you intend to do my lady?” the senator queried.

“I am heading out to our settlement on Yavin IV. There were reports of some trouble there and I aim to check it out. Along the way I will stop at our trading posts.”

“So you are preparing for war?”

“I don’t know. I have this feeling that trouble is coming soon and if one of our own has betrayed us, then I want to be there for when he answers to his crimes,” Mara replied hanging her blade from her belt. She looked at the senator with an appraising eye, aware of the distinct contrast between a warrior and a noble. “Besides,” she continued, “We have to defend our way of life. We can bear the dislike of certain practices but the insults is something that should not go unnoticed.”

“What will you do when you get there?” the senator asked not answering or commenting on Mara’s previous statements.

“I don’t know,” Mara replied looking out the window. “I will contact Eуmeros but I daresay his hands are full at home.” She did not speak of her son whom she left behind to see to this matter. It had been a hard choice but it had to be done. She was lucky that her promised and her chosen was understanding and volunteered to watch the baby.

Senator Amstar knew this and said nothing about that. Instead she said, “Then I’ll speak to the senator of Ryloth. Together I am sure we can work out something.”

“You do that,” Mara replied as she made to exit the room. She paused before going through the door to turn and say, “May the gods be with you and grant you safe journey.”

“As to you my lady,” Senator Amstar replied as Lady Mara left the apartment to head to the transport that would take her to the Outer Rim. She sighed before heading towards the communications console to set up an appointment with the senator.

“I daresay that your attempt to speak to the Senate alone would show that you and your people bear no ill will,” the senator from Ryloth was saying.

Senator Amstar was jerked from her thoughts but replied suitably, “I suppose so. Senator, do believe us or are you supporting us out of loyalty?” She had to ask the question. Long ago she had learned that you had to have a strong alliance based on trust in order to get anywhere. She watched as the senator formed his answer.

“Kirabaros saved my life. That plays a factor but unknown to anyone, I met him in a private session that he requested of me. He came to tell me that certain persons would want to see Avalon destroyed and that your people would need help. I didn’t believe him at first but he convinced me by uncovering a scam that had been in place for a long time. He didn’t ask for payment, just friendship. Since then, he has come by and inquired about my family. I don’t know if that would pass muster but I hope it shows that I am doing it because I believe in him.”

Senator Amstar smiled the first true smile she had in days at the senator. She replied, “That is all anyone needs: a little bit of faith.” They sat in agreeable silence the rest of the way to the Senate rotunda. It may get messy in there but they were united in a way that it cast a beacon like the light that guides the weary travelers in. It was hope.
 Diego Varen
01-11-2007, 1:47 AM
Good Chapter JM12 and I like the length of the Chapter and the three storylines going on in the Chapter too. I'm looking foward to more since there is nothing to comment on that needs improving. One question though? Has Darius, your Jedi Exile starred yet or won't he be in the Fic?
 JediMaster12
01-11-2007, 1:40 PM
He is mentioned a few times in previous chapters and I am debating on whether or not to have him in. In this fic I was trying to bring to light characters I touched on in HotG but didn't go into detail. I don't know yet because now I am writing the Shaak Ti chapter and there are a few suprises there.
 Diego Varen
01-11-2007, 1:47 PM
He is mentioned a few times in previous chapters and I am debating on whether or not to have him in. In this fic I was trying to bring to light characters I touched on in HotG but didn't go into detail. I don't know yet because now I am writing the Shaak Ti chapter and there are a few suprises there.

Thanks for telling me JM12. Did he ever have a surname, because I don't remember reading it. The only reason I'm asking is because I've always preferred the Exile to Revan, but I won't lose faith in this Fic if Darius isn't in it. Your decision. And that Shaak Ti Chapter, will you post that here too?
 JediMaster12
01-11-2007, 2:40 PM
Well yeah Pottsie. It's part of the story. Tatlo will make another appearance because of a bet between him and a certain...
scoundrel named Atton

Atton gets to see little Morgan

As to Darius' surname, I never gave him one because to be honest he is not a major player in this. I am considering a shortie on one or two adventures he has with my beloved Kirabaros. He may make a guest appearance but for the most part, I don't see him in this. I hope that doesn't turn you away from this story because if that happens, I doubt the flying manuscript will keep you around.
 Diego Varen
01-11-2007, 2:45 PM
Please JM12, no more manuscripts. I couldn't bear the pain again. Don't worry JM12, I've been a fan of your works since the HotG trilogy, since The Lost Tales of Revan didn't really draw me in, but I suppose it was your first Fic.
 igyman
01-11-2007, 5:04 PM
Ahhh, yes!! How I like these ''political intrigue'' chapters. Very nicely done. Again. There's only one thing that really bugs me - I never thought of Draconis as a type of man that would use a childish one-liner like ''Mr. Sixty Minutes''. It just doesn't suit his character, in my opinion.
 JediMaster12
01-11-2007, 5:27 PM
igyman: Think of it this way, he is agitated. His prize catch just got away, he is out in space and he was always annoyed by Keegan's presence anyway. Also you should know that sometimes Avalonians use humor to make light of their problems. You see this alot with Karas and Kirabaros. Besides I had just recently watched the Eraser and that one sequence embedded itself in my mind.

Pottsie: I know you can't bear the pain which is why I have noticed you haven't written to beg me when the next chapter comes out. The Lost Tales I am going to rewrite when I figure out my next poem and shorties.

On another note: I described the Avalon system in the planet databank thread. All the planets except one have an eastern/European connection to it. My water world Atzlan is actually Mesoamerican. It is the mythical homeland of the Aztecs meaning Place of the White Heron. I thought I should point that out since I am considering a shortie involving that planet.
 JediMaster12
01-17-2007, 6:21 PM
I was bored. I am just almost finished with Chapter 40 so I will go ahead and post 39. If this seems like an epic, you can sue me. :)
This chapter involves a favorite of mine who I always thought was a softie underneath. Plus a tying of some loose ends, if you can see it;)

Chapter 39
Canderous was not a patient man. Kirabaros had said that many times during his visits to Amshrey. It was evident as he was pacing in the clearing that would serve as a hidden dock for the incoming ship. Jolee had sent him a message that they had the ‘package’ but it was damaged and that sparked a worry in him, not that he was one to show it. His pacing hid his worry with the agitation that he had to wait.

Canderous thought about what this might mean for when the kid last contacted him, he was, well he looked…old. Wrenching that from his mind, he turned to Kex and had him go make sure that the squadrons were ready to take off. They were to head to the Outer Rim, mostly sweeping near where the Avalonian settlements were, including the Yavin system and the like. That got his mind off of his impatience somewhat as he waited for the ship to approach. He ignored the Shreyites who were bustling around, trying to find a spot.

After the defeat of the Blood King, the Shreyites made friends with their Avalonian neighbors. They grew especially friendly with the Mandalorians since they impressed the Shreyites with their lust for battle which emphasized their strength. They agreed to let Mandalore move his base of operations to Amshrey where they helped construct a settlement that was suitable to the environment. It was also Kirabaros’ doing that they were on such good terms for he broke the language barrier and got both sides to agree as was his character. They still considered him the Animal God since he had a natural ability with the native wildlife and that was the reason for their appearance.

Canderous guessed this and left them to their devices. He figured that he owed it to the little guys since they did help out around the encampment. His thoughts were occupied on what the kid wanted him to do and of a domestic situation that caught him with his breeches down. He looked up at the sky just in time to see the ship come into view for a landing. His comm buzzed and a familiar voice came through, “Hey Canderous. We’re coming in.”

Mission thought she would never get to see Amshrey ever. She had heard that it was dangerous with all the untamed animals but she also heard that it was rather beautiful. The last time she was in this region of space she had to stay on Avalon during the last days of the war. She would have put up a fight but Kirabaros convinced her to stay and it was for a good reason, one that she didn’t regret. When Juhani told her to make a heading for Amshrey, she was excited. She wondered if she would be able to explore the planet and see if it was anything like what Big Z had described. She wondered if the business that Kirabaros needed to do would allow her to.

Thinking of Kirabaros brought her back to the conversation that she had with him before he shut himself in the cargo hold for two days, not talking to no one. It was obvious that he had a vision of some sort. Revan used to get them when they were searching for the Star Maps. This was different. He was disturbed by it and he said it was of the future or something like that. It bothered her for Kirabaros was something of a star reader and put great stock into it. She hadn’t forgotten how he watched them up to the time of the battle on Rakata Prime. What was really disturbing was the manner in which he held his head, covering his ears as if he could hear a loud noise but no one else could. She had asked Jolee about it and all he said was that something bad had happened to Kirabaros but he wouldn’t elaborate. Maybe Canderous will tell me, she thought as the planet of Amshrey came into sight.

She made adjustments to the coordinates that Jolee had given her and headed towards what appeared to be a clearing within the forest of redwoods. Clearing the trees, she saw one figure, his armor gleaming in the sun and hundreds of little furry shapes scurrying around the edges of the clearing. She didn’t know what those creatures were but she recognized the armored one. She buzzed his comm, ““Hey Canderous. We’re coming in.”

The response, “Nice to see ya too Blue,” sent her spirits soaring as she moved in for a landing.

When the ship adjusted course, he knew that they were there. Even though he told them to let him know, he knew. He slowly stood up and stretched his muscles which were sore after two days of mediation and hard workouts but worth it. It cleaned out most of the toxins that were in his body from the injection though he was fairly certain that there were some still in his system. He came out slightly leaner than he already was and had more of a healthy color from the workout.

Those two days gave him time to think on what he saw in his vision and what he discussed with the Blood King. He realized that he had been running again which allowed him to not think clearly before. He told Atton to stop running, Revan was almost there and yet here he was still running. It was time to stop. He meditated on the conversation and the location itself. He recognized the temples of Yavin when he saw the children but the big giveaway was the Cathar child. He thought to himself, She doesn’t deserve this. Why?

Still thinking that, he gave a final stretch in his upper arms and unsealed the cargo hold door. He stepped into the walkway and looked around before starting to walk towards the cockpit. His steps were soft footed, barely heard until he heard the purr of her voice, “Are you alright?”

Facing Juhani, Kirabaros knew that he was going to have to tell her eventually what he saw but he’d rather do that when he had Mandalore present. He answered her question, “Better. Two days sweating it out,” he shrugged his shoulders, “Does a body good.”

“And the vision?” Juhani queried.

“What vision?”

“Mission told all of us what happened after you locked yourself in the cargo hold. You aren’t fooling anyone Kirabaros, only hurting them.” The words hurt her to say it but Juhani had to speak her mind and what was more likely the thoughts of everyone else.

The words had stung but rang true. If he was going to get to the bottom of this, he had to have no more secrets. He replied, “I know but I am asking all of you to trust me just a little while longer. When we land I’ll explain it.” Especially to you, was what he didn’t add.

Juhani looked at Kirabaros as his amber eyes locked onto hers for a brief second before he turned away and headed towards the cockpit. She thought about it until she was interrupted by HK-47 doing his usual security rounds. His, “Observation: The Handsome Meatbag has left his cargo hold and appears to be in a slightly agitated state. Query: Does he require any psychological assistance?”

Juhani replied with a question, “Does that involve some form of bashing in skulls or crushing necks?”

“Statement: I only wish to restore full functionality to the meatbag Jedi so that I may be able to enjoy some forms of unadulterated violence.”

“Uh huh,” and Juhani turned on her heel to allow HK to finish his patrol. She followed the path that Kirabaros took only to be stopped by a conversation going on between Kirabaros and Jolee.

“Jolee, I am asking you to return to Coruscant once you drop us off,” Kirabaros had a slight pleading tone in his voice.

“You keep quiet there sonny. After being dragged around in this bucket eating the gunk out of the synthesizer, I am staying right here. I’m old dammit and allowed to do as I please,” Jolee grumbled.

“If it was the food that was bothering you, you can have some free food from the Shreyites. I know you like that,” Kirabaros responded. It was condescending but also a joke.

“I don’t know why I tolerate a mouthy little thing like yourself,” Jolee grumbled. “You better learn respect for your elders or…”

“Jolee calm down,” Kirabaros was smiling, “I was just joking. I see that your mind is made up however but can I ask you this: Can you trust me a little longer until we rendezvous with Canderous?”

“I suppose you’re going to nag me until I say yes aren’t you,” Jolee grumbled at Kirabaros. “Alright but you better explain everything otherwise I am going to have to punish you.”

Kirabaros smiled at the attempt at discipline before heading to the main hold. He knew they were about to land so it was just better to wait until the ship landed before running around. He was joined by Jolee and Juhani who said nothing but sat across from him.

Canderous watched as the ship lowered its ramp. He stood in an at ease position out of respect for the kid. He was Mandalore and yet he was in proper form to a kid half his age. That didn’t matter when his steel grey eyes caught sight of a figure walking slowly down the ramp. It was a sight for sore eyes literally.

The kid’s robes were tattered, almost as if he had spent the better part of a month in the jungles of Duxn. He was walking tall as he always did but he had a presence about him. It wasn’t that whole Jedi thing and the Force, it was like a warrior who realizes his potential. Canderous wondered briefly if the kid decided to stop being a Jedi or if something changed. There was some evidence of cuts and the scar on the kid’s left eye was more pronounced but there were no injuries as far as he could see. He wondered if the old man had been making it up. The kid was not alone for close behind him was the Cathar and the old man. Trailing further behind was Blue and the copper-toned bucket of bolts and he gave a slight sigh and stepped up to greet them.

Meanwhile the Shreyites were chattering in their strange language. They had begun when the ship landed and it became more pronounced when Kirabaros made himself known. They just chattered and moved closer, probably a little too close for comfort. It produced, to Canderous, the feeling that they were about to be attacked. They didn’t do anything when he questioned Jolee, “Old Man I thought you said that the package was damaged. Are you going senile?”

“Oh I get it. The old man is half senile. He doesn’t remember a thing,” Jolee retorted.

Kirabaros couldn’t resist and let out a laugh. It was a true laugh that relieved the tension in the air. When he got a hold of himself, he said, “Ok. Stop now. Jolee’s not senile and you’re not losing your mind Canderous. Just a little confusion.”

Everyone looked at him in surprise. His eyes were twinkling with laughter still, a pleasant sight to see. It was Jolee who broke it by saying, “Well now that you have finished laughing your head off, perhaps we can get moving. I’m not gettin’ any younger here.”

Canderous replied, “Take it easy Old Man or you’ll hurt yourself. The main part of the base is this way,” and he led the way towards the series of bunkers.

At this time the Shreyites began to perform their chanting that they had done when Kirabaros first helped them defeat the terentek. He smiled at them as he followed behind Canderous but it frightened him that they had such blind loyalty to him…and to HK who was somewhat pleased if it could be called that. It was evident when the droid piped up, “Observation: It appears that the furry meatbags are greeting us. Query: Shall I blast a few now?”

“No HK,” Kirabaros replied as they made their way to the main bunker.

Sarna was waiting indoors with everything necessary. Even though she was a warrior, the habits of the Avalonians surfaced every now and then. It helped when they had to deal with the people at the capital city on Amshrey. She had the tea ready and everything that would amount to a tactical debriefing room set up when she had to pause. She gazed at the nothing in particular as her hand fell across her abdomen. Her reverie was interrupted when the main door slid open.

Sarna greeted her husband with a gentle warrior grasp and then turned to greet old friends. She started with Jolee and even greeted HK though she wasn’t that pleased to see the thing. When she got to Kirabaros, she was greeted with a look that spoke of mischief on his face. She said, “It is good to see you again Kirabaros.”

“I can see I was right about some things,” he replied looking at her with a teasing smile. “I wondered when you two would finally tie the knot so to speak.”

Canderous laughed at that for Sarna’s condition was blatantly obvious now. Everyone else chuckled until Sarna let out her own ringing laughter. She replied, “I see that time has left your sense of humor in tact.”

“One needs humor in light of difficult situations,” he replied solemnly that it was comical. His eyes betrayed merriment.

“If that is true then I suggest you make yourselves comfortable while I get tea,” Sarna replied smiling before she left the room.

Kirabaros watched as Canderous watched her leave. I knew there was a chink in his armor. I knew it when I first saw them together, he thought. He spoke to Canderous, “I see things have been going well for the last two years Mandalore.” The tone implied that he was being serious and indirectly asking for information. He knew that Canderous wouldn’t completely follow Avalonian protocol and speak of family and personal matters first before business so he took to using friendly prompts.

Canderous recognized the tone and replied, “The clans are stronger and we like it here on Amshrey. I am curious as to why you asked me to not do anything except pick up the kids and stage a rescue attempt.”

Kirabaros knew that he would be asked to explain. He paused as Sarna brought in the tea and set it on what passed for a table of some sort. When she left, he started, “What I asked was part of an elaborate plan to flush out those responsible for framing Avalon and urging war between us and the Republic. It’ll take awhile but I’ll explain…”
 Diego Varen
01-18-2007, 1:27 AM
Something tells me a battle is coming soon, but that might just be me. Good Chapter, JediMaster12 and I'm looking foward to more (Although, I myself have never thought Canderous was impatient but people change over time).
 JediMaster12
01-18-2007, 1:29 PM
Let's just say that he is worried about the kid. Just to let you know, he always refers to Kirabaros as 'Kid.' Now that I think of it, I borrowed that from Rocky since he always called his son "kid." There's my disclaimer.

Pottsie: I don't want to spoil things but yeah there is one. The vision should have been a clue. Eventually the hamachi will be caught in the middle.
 Kas'!m
01-18-2007, 5:13 PM
Just wondering how many chapters there are because I plan to offer a review when I finish reading the whole thing.
 JediMaster12
01-18-2007, 9:26 PM
Well Kas'!m, I'm not really sure. I have the story but putting it into words is another story. I have to think about how to write my characters and the scenes, etc. I can tell you that I am almost to the climax. This fic bears some relation to Broken Wounds Heal.
 SithAramis
01-18-2007, 9:55 PM
Well, my friend JM12. After a year of knowing of your stories, I have read the first two chapters---finally. I can't wait to read the rest. Can't wait to see where Revan is. To others reading this, I know I am late in this story. I've had a lot going on in my life. Thanks JM12, I am a member now.
 JediMaster12
01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Thank you SithAramis. Welcome aboard to LucasForums. I am glad that you are enjoying my fic. This one I enjoy and have had to wrack my brains to get what I want out of this story.
 SithAramis
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Greetings again, Master Jedi 12. I can tell you work very hard on your story. Very detailed and well written.
 igyman
01-19-2007, 3:46 PM
It's been a while, but you certainly haven't lost your touch, JM12. Another great chapter, with quite a few interesting HK lines. I do have to point out one teency tiny error - you misspelled Dxun in that one sentence. Otherwise great work.
 JediMaster12
01-19-2007, 5:32 PM
Ah, my faithful grammar police. THank you igyman. I was always confused on how to spell Dxun. I knew that the HK lines would draw you like a light does with moths. :lol:
I was wondering if you caught my loose end from a previous chapter. It has to do with Sarna and Canderous.

Also if any of you had noticed, Kirabaros changed. Only slightly. They say that life experiences can change a person and I am betting that it is not completely over for him where that toxin is concerned.
 JediMaster12
01-22-2007, 3:33 PM
Well I changed my policy since I write when I can. I am going to post as soon as I squeeze another chapter out.

I have a new chapter for ye huddled masses and again this was inspired again by the bad acting of TPM. I changed it so it reflects better the circumstances and there is a slight twist in the end.

Also I should point out that there are references to HotG again. While it is not necessary for you to read it, it helps to understand it better.
Without further ado I give:

Chapter 40
Revan felt a surge of hope when she met Michaela at the hamachi. It was a great surprise to her and a comfort. She found that she didn’t need to explain about Kirabaros for Michaela already knew about it in her own way. The girl with her she was wary of but when Michaela told of her part in their adventures, she lost her suspicion and greeted the young woman warmly. After that meeting, she felt ready to meet the opponents for the Shaak Ti.

The ring was like the dueling ring on Taris, spacious. Revan scanned it and it brought back memories. Not all of them were pleasant. She still wanted to curse herself for the last one because she killed for the entertainment of others. It was no consolation that Starkiller was a government bounty. Revan shook these thoughts from her mind when Michaela came up saying, “Brings memories that you wish you didn’t have.”

“I’m just anxious about that last one…” Revan began.

“Ah yes where it is a death match. I sense that is cause of your discomfort,” Michaela interrupted with understanding. She didn’t face Revan but instead looked at the ring where the helpers were clearing the area for the first matches. It was easier to talk when you didn’t look at them.

“I killed a man for money,” Revan explained. Her throat felt thick as if she wanted to burst into tears. “I killed for the entertainment of others.”

“I understand why my husband has a dislike for this sport. He thinks it foolish,” Michaela answered softly. “He participated in a few but one changed his outlook on life though he denied it until he met you.”

“He killed the person too?”

“No. That duel was the night he was declared Kirabaros by the township on Mikkado, before we moved to Avalon.” Michaela looked thoughtful but it was difficult to tell.

“Why do you speak of this?” Revan asked. She knew enough about Avalonians to know that often some things they say are meant to evoke meaning no matter how unrelated it seems.

“Some good comes out of even the worst of situations.”

“Well, Carth was there with me on Taris, but that was before we fell in love and…”

“If you didn’t meet then, you wouldn’t be here now,” Michaela turned to face Revan, a smile on her face. When Revan smiled in return, she said, “That’s better. We must concentrate. After all you are a Jedi and I am a Handmaiden.”

“You are as much a Jedi as I,” Revan firmly declared.

“If you say,” Michaela replied with a smile. “Come, we have to change.” She led the way towards the area where they would change into attire suitable for the competition.

Kiera walked through the hamachi gathering odds and ends to take to the dueling arena. She was impressed by the manner in which the Avalonians carried themselves: tall, proud and firm. She noted how they were always respectful in spite of any ridicule they received from the scum wandering through the settlement. It was also overwhelming for it was like being with a hundred or so Rowans and Michaelas for they were not loud or brash but they were animate when they chose to be. She was pondering and carrying a case full of short blades when she was caught by the boy called Chiyo. She smiled as he approached and asked, “Are you going to the competition today?”

Morgan regarded Kiera with an inquisitive look before smiling in return and saying, “I have to go. I made a bet and I have to see how it ends.”

“Are you allowed to bet?” Kiera queried.

“Okвsan says that it is dishonorable with money so I bet with parts for Shang,” Morgan replied. He walked next to Kiera in a trot like fashion to keep up. He sensed something from Kiera that made him feel warm. Being curiously blunt, he asked, “Do you like my papa?”

Kiera stopped in shock, nearly dropping the case. She had never been around a child like the boy next to her, one that was inquisitive and forthright. She turned to look at the boy and asked, “Why do you ask that?”

Morgan replied, “You look at me all the time but there is something about you that tells me it is him.”

Kiera regarded the boy with a look of surprise. She thought the adults were inquisitive but a child? It was disarming and she didn’t know what to answer. Morgan answered for her, “It’s ok. I want my papa to be happy and I like you.”

“Uh…uh OK,” Kiera replied. She thought she was no good with kids but she liked this little one. When he smiled, he looked like the Jedi he said was his papa but his temper came from someone else. She had seen him fend off a group of boys bullying him and his temper was one that was characteristic to a red head. Still he was an endearing little sprat and she rather liked him. She smiled and added, “I like you too.” Then leaning down, she whispered, “I do like your papa,” and stood up to walk towards the transport that would take the equipment.

Morgan smiled at Kiera and watched as she walked towards the transport. He was glad that someone liked his papa and he hoped that his papa would like her. He ran to catch up with Kiera and asked, “Want to go for a walk? I know where the best spots are.”

“Alright. How about now?” Kiera replied after placing the case on the transport.

“OK,” Morgan piped up and slipped his hand into Kiera’s and tugged her towards the city. He gave a smile to Tulre who had been hiding behind various bits of machinery and the like and was pleased when Tulre gave a smile in return.

Tulre watched as the strange woman and Morgan left to go to the marketplace in Anchorhead. He had a good feeling about this and hoped that it would go well. He then turned to put the finishing touches on the blades his mother and Aunt Reva were going to use.

Anchorhead was a dusty little town, nothing like Nar Shaddaa. The only good thing was that you could get lost there and getting lost was what Atton was doing. After meeting up with Revan and the others, he took himself to the cantina nearest to the hamachi and drowned himself in pazaak. It allowed him to think about what he found out about Kirabaros and muddle over his feelings. He was relieved that Kirabaros was fine, somewhat, according to Caelos and the younger Onasi, but he was troubled that someone was out to destroy his friend. He buried himself in the pazaak deck as he faced his opponent. The scum across from him was an easy picking, a chubba who thought himself to be big. It didn’t take long for him to succumb to the subtle maneuverings of Atton Rand. Pure Pazaak.

This continued for about two hours, less than the amount of time it took for Revan to clear out everyone when she was last there. It showed when one of the pazaak players mentioned to Atton, “You’re good, better than that broad that cleared everyone out long time ago. Boy, she was something.”

Picking up on the admiration and following a hunch, Atton fed the guy, “Really? She pull anything?”

“Slick she was. Lot of the guys here wanted a piece of her, not as though the tree trunk that was with her would allow it,” the pazaak player smirked. “Not that anyone took him seriously with that orange jacket.”

Atton recognized that the guy was referring to Carth and guessed that they had been there before. Atton may be a scoundrel but he wasn’t stupid. He realized that maybe it was something that they didn’t want to talk about though he did recall that they mentioned Anchorhead was where they bought HK. Nodding in response, Atton pocketed the last of his winnings and exited the cantina. He was contemplating where to head to next before reporting in to view this Shaak Ti when he caught sight of Kiera wandering through the crowds.

In spite of the flaws, Anchorhead had its pleasantries, even more so when you had a guide. Kiera was enjoying herself in the company of little Chiyo. He showed her the more pleasant spots, particularly the marketplace that he called the suq. She marveled that he could speak Huttese with such firmness. She commented on this when they left a vendor that sold all sorts of nuts, “You have a remarkable command of Huttese. I am surprised that you can speak it so well. Even I can’t get away with it.”

“Practice,” Morgan replied. “Besides I can speak other languages as well as Shang. We learn together.”

Kiera smiled in response, adding, “Still that is a fair accomplishment.”

Morgan said nothing but led Kiera through the dense crowd of people. He had an idea of where to find his papa but he wanted his papa to come to him. He went to where the viewing area was on the ground level for the Shaak Ti. He was greeted by a Toydarian asking, “What brings you here boy?”

Michaela was watching the last of the equipment being loaded onto the transport. The Shaak Ti was to start in a few hours and she could sense the apprehension thickening. She was standing outside the house of Mamesa, who was feeling better now, waiting for Revan and the others who were to participate. Carth was the first to join her having found some armor that fitted his tall frame. She turned to greet him, “Ready?”

“Ready,” Carth replied. “Where’s everyone else?”

“The boys are coming and Revan is getting ready,” Michaela replied with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

Carth fell into the trap easily, “It’s a duel. Really, you would think that she were getting ready for a dinner or…”

“Or what?” Revan asked. She took in Michaela’s smile and Carth’s exasperation and played along.

“Uh…nothing?” Carth ventured.

“Talking about my dressing habits again?” Revan queried. “I assure you that this,” she indicated her suit, “took me only ten minutes.”

Michaela stifled a laugh by turning it into a cough. She said, “We’d better hurry then or we’ll be late,” and left them.

After Michaela left, Revan spoke to Carth, “She’s such a dear. And she knows how to start trouble.” She grinned at Carth to let him know that he had been had. Giving him a peck on the cheek, she led the way to the transport.

Atton had been following Kiera for a while since she wasn’t hard to miss, not that he cared or anything. He finally caught up with them at the building where the others were going to fight. He volunteered his services but Michaela said that it would be better if they had someone who knew how to play pazaak. He had taken the hint and went to collect on the credits for the parts and supplies. Now that he was here, he had to admit that he was impressed. He walked into one door and found dozens of warriors, bounty hunters and mercs practicing before the competition. He looked around when he spotted Kiera and with her was a person that he wondered if he would ever see again.

Taking it slow, he sidled his way close enough to hear the Toydarian demanding that he wanted to see some part or something the moment the winner is declared. He was close enough to hear his son reply, “No worries. You’ll have your winnings soon and we’ll be long gone.”

“Not if your parts don’t cut it,” the Toydarian replied. “I warn you, any funny business and I’ll have the bounty hunters on you faster than a womprat can hop.”

“Sure, Tatlo,” Morgan replied before acknowledging Atton’s presence with a nod.

Kiera saw Atton and nearly gasped but played it cool. She didn’t know if Chiyo had set her up or what but she acknowledged Atton by saying, “Glad you made it.”

“Eh? Who’s the tree trunk kid?” Tatlo asked Morgan after being startled.

Morgan replied, “Just another from the hamachi Tatlo. So you don’t think this Lilah Ravenstar can win can you?”

“Unlike you, I know my fighters. Methinks that Debula there is going to win,” Tatlo pointed at a human who was twirling his blade to the amusement of the Twi’lek girls fawning over him.

Atton, not taking it any more asked, “Why do you think that?”

“He always wins,” Tatlo replied.

“In what? A kid’s game?” Atton questioned.

Tatlo looked at Atton before directing to Morgan, “And here I was thinking that you kept company with smart humans boy.” He then flew to get near Atton and continued, “I am betting heavily on Debula there.”

Atton thought about his options. He knew that Lilah Ravenstar was none other than Revan incognito and knew her to be capable. Having never seen this Debula guy fight before was the sand in the boot. He glanced at Morgan and Kiera before replying, “I’ll take that bet.”

“What?” Tatlo responded in surprise. He had never met a brasher human than this one. It was bad enough that he had to deal with the boy who was just like him. Come to think of it, he does bear a resemblance to the tall one, he thought. He was curious as to what this human was going to propose.

“I wager this,” Atton held out a small dagger that Kirabaros had given him with a joke saying that it was just the thing for a scoundrel, “for say…a reverse power coupling and a hyperdrive generator.”

Tatlo saw that the blade was a valuable one. One just had to look at the hilt that was inlaid with gold or something but he had the sneaking suspicion that he was being cheated out of something. He spat out, “No blade is worth a power coupling or hyperdrive. Not by a long shot.”

“The power coupling then,” Atton replied. They needed the part since Caelos reported that it was beyond his ability to repair. The hyperdrive would just have to come out of the winnings. He held the Toydarian’s gaze, waiting him to answer.

Tatlo was in a rut and he knew it. The human was shrewd, he gave him that much. Then he decided to play in his favor, “How about letting fate decide? I have a chance cube here. If you get blue, you get the coupling, red, you give me the blade.” He then threw it knowing that his odds were good.

Atton may not be willing to cheat but Morgan was for he knew that his papa was fond of that blade. Kirabaros had given it to him and he wasn’t about to let it be lost. Without anyone watching, Morgan concentrated on the cube begging it to land on blue. The angry growl from Tatlo confirmed it. He watched as Tatlo looked at Atton and said, “You may have won one toss but you won’t win the bet. So it makes no difference.”

Atton watched as the Toydarian flew away before turning to his son. He said, “I hope you don’t consider doing that in the future unless you really need to, Morgan.”

Morgan grinned just like Atton did when he was in a hot spot. He replied in a low voice, “Not to worry Papa. He’s always in a bad mood.”

Atton said nothing but accepted the hug from Morgan and smiled at him. He noticed Kiera had been watching the whole scene. He couldn’t decide if she was amused or even surprised. He said, “I guess you met my son.”

“Yes,” Kiera replied rather stunned. She had suspected but when she witnessed that display of affection, it caught her off guard.

Atton said rather nervous, “Uh why don’t I explain when we get some seats in the stands?” He held out his hand only to have it met with hers. They walked out of the warming up area and headed to where they were going to watch the competition. They didn’t notice Morgan as he signaled to a masked warrior warming up.

The yard was filling up with the presentation of the fighters. It was a glorious sight as the fighters lined up to be greeted by the audience. The announcer, a human, was announcing the warriors based upon reputation within the Outer Rim or even the whole Republic, “A big turnout for the annual Shaak Ti from all corners of the Outer Rim. Now introducing…” The crowds were loud as they cheered for their favorites.

To Revan, Michaela, Rowan, Dustil and Caelos, the noise was overlooked and ignored. Carth was made not to fight by Revan saying that a Republic admiral would be recognized. He agreed albeit reluctantly to stay with Mamesa, Kimiko, Lilah and T3 at their viewing platform. They knew that they had to win or they would be stranded. As much as the Ebon Hawk could accommodate them, it was best if they were split like before.

After going through the listed and sponsored entrants, the announcer went through the last minute entries which consisted of one, “And we have a late entry. I give you Bekura, the Masked Stranger, a local boy.”

Revan looked at the late entry. He was masked yes and rather short like a child. Still, it wasn’t her to underestimate little people. Even Jawas could be capable when they needed to be. This Bekura was dressed in black, similar to what the maiko wore but with a few modifications, as if to give him an edge in dexterity. She admitted that he knew how to dress for combat though color choice seemed to be the sticking point. She watched as he saluted the crowd with a graceful strength. His manner was familiar, much like Kirabaros, but discounted it due to the fact that all Bushida warriors carried themselves similarly.

The announcer was saying, “And now, the first tier will begin. Those that win will advance to the next tier.”

It’s show time.
 Aurora Starfire
01-22-2007, 5:22 PM
Mmm.... It looks good, at least I didn't see anything that stood out as needing to be corrected. Don't think I've posted here before, so I'll just mention how much I like your fics :D

Hmm, is it just me, or is Shaak Ti also a Jedi Master from the movies? ;)
 JediMaster12
01-22-2007, 9:13 PM
Aurora: Yes. Shaak Ti is the Togruta Jedi that we see in AOTC at the battle at Geonosis. Here it is a different meaning but I figured a nice tie in to the movies of some sort. The major fics that I have here are related to each other with Heart of the Guardian and Heart of Deception being the closest. Broken Wounds Heal makes reference to Heart of Deception and I have my shorties as well.

I am glad that you liked my fics. I always welcome comments on them because like any good writer I know I am a bad one and need to make constant edits. :)
I hope you enjoy reading the other chapters for this story I had no formal planning on except what I figured out in snippits in my overactive brain.
 Diego Varen
01-23-2007, 1:23 AM
I knew Shaak Ti sounded familiar. Did she get killed in a deleted scene in Episode 3? Anyway, good Chapter and is it just me, but has the format of the Fic improved? You've now got lines, to seperate the paragraphs. My suggestion is to edit each Chapter and put them in to seperate the paragraphs. Also, now that the Heart of Deception is longer than the Heart of Guardian, I'm pleased. I doubt I could write a Chapter with as many Chapters as that. Is it so long, because of the subplots? I'm looking foward to more and this must reply must be my longest reply to this Fic ever.
 igyman
01-23-2007, 1:40 AM
Very interesting, JM12. I did recognize those few rewritten Episode I dialogues. Interesting that you switch two persons with a hyperdrive and a power coupling in that one dialogue. Also that announcement at the end, an interesting combination of a Phantom Menace line and KoTOR 1 Taris duel ring line. I'll stop now, because I'm starting to use the word interesting a little too much. :)

Oh yeah, that bad acting comment on Episode I, don't tell me you think Ep II and III had better acting, Ep II was definitely the worst SW movie when it comes to acting - Christensen (Anakin) has no idea how to act, he says every line with the same tone of voice. Sorry about this little off-topic comment, but I just can't let anyone trash Episode I when there's a SW movie that really deserves trashing. :)
 JediMaster12
01-23-2007, 1:55 AM
igyman: Bad acting is bad acting. That's the plain fact. I have a slight bias because I like Ewan McGregor. I felt the need to bring back Tatlo because I needed something to bring father and son into some sort of understanding and a hint of romance with my bounty hunter. She's no red head but I sense she may stake a claim.

Pottsie: Yeah I noticed I changed the format on the chapters. It is because of the subplots that this is a long fic. Also it is because I like deep seated meanings within a fic. I also like the whole looking for the deeper meaning. I will change it when I post the archival version. Yes Shaak Ti was killed in the deleted scene.
 JediMaster12
01-29-2007, 3:58 PM
All ye huddled masses I have an announcement: I have a new chapter for you all. This one is one that I find nice for it sets up what is to come and the agitation on both sides. One of the names I used comes from a film called Milagro Beanfield War. I used the alcalde's name Amarante just because I liked it.

As a tender morsel for Chapter 42, I am bringing back another character that will help shape how things are going to fall.

Without further interruption, I give you:

Chapter 41
Yavin looked peaceful especially the fourth planet. It had its dangers of course but like anything else, the Avalonians took to it like anything else. Their homeworld had its dangers and they accepted it. It was their way, to accept what circumstances presented them. The Takashi settlement, named so for the forest on Avalon, had been there for a hundred or so years, long before Kirabaros had ventured back into Republic space. They had been there since the wars that crippled the Republic, lying hidden in the jungles. They were a tribal people like anyone else and lived by the fruit of the land. They lived in a village that consisted well over a hundred people, each contributing to the survival of the group.

It was here that Lady Mara set foot after departing from Coruscant with the goal to see that no harm came to here people. To the Republic, she was the leader of the Avalonians. Though each of the planets had their own governor, her word was the last and generally speaking, the law. Surveying the settlement, her thoughts drifted to the Republic and how relations had shattered. She felt the pang of regret of what she had said of Kirabaros to Selene but brushed it aside as she descended from the freighter class ship that she had taken.

At the foot of the ramp was the leader of the settlement. Wearing the traditional garb of the Zherron tribe, he stood full Avalonian height. His silver hair and gray eyes gave him a wizened look but no clear indication of his true age. He waited until the governor arrived at the bottom of the ramp and then he bowed respectfully, surprising her in the process. Like all tribesmen, they can spot nobles or politicians that try to blend in fairly easily except it was much more difficult. The leader saw that she had some training on how to change her movements; she had an exceptional teacher. He introduced himself, “Welcome milady. I am Amarante Satsun, leader of the Takashi settlement. Please follow,” and he turned to lead the way.

Surprised that Chief Satsun bowed to her, Lady Mara returned the greeting with a nod of her head, as deemed proper. She accepted his guidance and followed him through the village to his hut. Like many of the tribal villages, there was a main hut used for conversing in business, a smaller one for the children and the individual family huts arranged in a circular like fashion. The largest of these was the chieftain’s hut and this was where Amarante led her.

Pausing before the main square, Mara took in the sight. It reminded her so much of home and wondered if Avalon ever did change. She was distracted when a group of boys came running past her. One caught her eye as it was of a species she had seen only once before. Her gaze followed the boy until they stopped to talk. He was just like the one she had seen, the yellow eyes, and the ears, everything that spoke of a cat. It was a Cathar boy. Strangely enough was that his fur color was not like the one she had met for it was darker, almost brown. She wondered about it as Amarante led her in. Once inside he said, “I see that you noticed Juntau. He has been with us for four years now.”

“Four years?” Mara looked at her host in surprise.

“Yes. A friend brought him here. We watch him as a favor,” Amarante clarified. He had seated himself on the rug where he always sat. He sat upright and dismissed the subject with a wave of his hand.

Mara recognized this as meaning that she should trouble herself no further over the matter. Following protocol, she said, “The jungles have been kind to you.”

“Yes. It is a challenge but like our fellow tribesmen, we work with the land,” Amarante replied. He beckoned Mara to have some tea that he had poured. He continued, “However, it is not the jungles that trouble us.”

“So it is true? The settlement has been threatened and attacked,” Mara queried. Her voice was a little strained trying to hide her anxiousness.

“A few of our warriors have not returned. Our friends from the Republic have not visited us. They say that we cheat them in our deals, that we have no honor. We cannot see where they strike.”

Mara looked at her companion as he drank his tea. Someone was attacking this settlement and trying to pit the Republic against them. It was as she feared, they were heading towards a war.

Travel through space was boring but can be made a headache if you have to keep certain types of company. Keegan was surprised and relieved that Dodonna let him off with a leave of absence. What he didn’t know was that she was watching him. Unaware of this, his mind was focused on the rabble that he managed to clean up after that disaster on Nar Shaddaa. They were reluctant and downright violent when he told them that he was taking over. The only reason he was still alive was that he had been accompanied by Outcasts, or rather Rashikians. The stench of death that they gave off plus the manner in which they killed and tore apart one protester was enough to convince them of some form of loyalty.

After that, he gave orders to strike at trade depots that were specifically Avalonian and make it seem that it was the Republic’s doing. He did the same thing the other way around and as a result sparked high tensions between the systems that Avalon had pulled shipping from. It was amusing for the Avalonians obeyed this code of dying with honor rather than living in shame. It was admirable too. Even his hires mentioned it bringing some uncertainty that things might not go as planned.

He voiced none of his thoughts as he gave his orders to the Rashikian standing next to him, “Make sure that your man is seen when he attempts to take out the target. It is important.”

The Rashikian gave a raspy reply in the language that sounded of death on Avalonian ears and turned to leave. Keegan couldn’t be sure but he thought he saw a cloud emanate from the Rashikian. He could certainly smell the stench of death. He wondered how it was that any Rashikians survived at all after the last battle at Amshrey. He was left alone to muddle in his thoughts.

He was a hunter. He was good at finding people. That was his way. However he didn’t have to find people: they would come to him. Come to him they did. Four of them he caught and caged like the animals they were. Starving them was too easy and physical torture was pointless with this kind of prey. Instead he resorted to the old ways of mentally torturing them. It had worked on the beast that got away.

The hunter stood in front of the cages that held his prisoners. He saw the burning hate they had for him and he was pleased. They all were in various states of weakness each bearing their share of scars and bruises from his interrogations. One by one they succumbed to the mind numbing effects of his serum, writhing in pain from whatever horrors their minds had wrought until there was only one left.

The last one he was hesitant to use it on. He was assured that what he wanted would come to him and he thought that maybe a bargaining chip would be useful, preferably one in tact. He looked at his glowering prisoner and said low, “You are lucky. You get to be as you are a little while longer.” He then turned and walked away.

He went to a room that overlooked the jungle and gave a clear view of the settlement that his client had told him to watch and pester. He fingered a scar on his right forearm and looked at it. One of those beasts had done it to him. She had come to rescue his prey, the traitor. It was she who stood defiant and fought him to a standstill. He wanted nothing more than to feel her neck clasped in his hands and feel the life squeezing out of her. That would have to be second though. The traitor had escaped through his fingers once and he’d be damned if that were to happen again in the near future.

Lurking in the back of his mind was the image of the Jedi that he had wounded before his folly at Nar Shaddaa. He remembered how the animal recovered quickly from the shot. He remembered the reflexes. He remembered them. The little ones came into his mind as he associated them with the Jedi that had escaped his client. He couldn’t help but wonder if there would be a way to get them. He wouldn’t have to use that prisoner for a bargain. The Jedi, the traitor, all of them would bow down to the terms set if he had them. His client wanted them once but he hired incompetents. He was good at finding people as well as his new companion. They could find them and finally he could get his cherished wish. He went to the communicator and imputed his calculations.

He hated Coruscant but he had to go. When he heard that Lady Mara had asked for one last round of diplomacy, he knew he had to stop it. His contract had reminded him of one of his goals to make the menace suffer and he allowed it. That thought alone gave him something to bear as he walked towards his transport that would take him to the Senate proceedings.

For four days Senator Amstar had been struggling to show good faith. The Senate tolerated her since the senator from Ryloth was backing her up and he was well liked. Draconis seethed with rage when he received the news from one of his spies that had been watching the senator. Unfortunately that information was limited since no one but those who knew the menace could get close to her. That alone was enough to make him fume but not enough to explode in hot rage. That he reserved for Kirabaros.

Sitting on the transport, Draconis gazed at the towering skyscrapers, resisting the urge to squirm. Like all Avalonians, he liked the wide-open spaces and abhorred places that didn’t appreciate the beauty of the land. Unlike Avalonians, he loved the people that were bred in the skyscraper worlds. Those places reeked of diminished hopes, dreams, and despair. There were also those who liked to beat down the underdog, which were his particular favorite. Anything that involved showing lower man his place made him feel at home. It fueled his desire to be rid of Kirabaros and return Avalon back to what it was before the war. He sat there and thought about the order he gave Keegan. This next move would really drive the wedge deeper between the Republic and Avalon.

Senator Amstar was exhausted but like her ancestors she had a lot of heart. She had needed it and used it when facing the numerous senators of the Republic. She also had influential friends standing beside her and had shown their loyalty through thick and thin. Staring out at the city before the proceedings, she pondered the situation and drifted to all that had happened. Somehow she felt as if she were caught between two forces, each pulling her in a direction and threatened to tear her in two.

The Senate was divided in two, a very uneven set of two with more than half against Avalon. It was clear after day two. The opposition consisted mostly of those that Avalon had pulled their trade from and those that claimed that Avalon had attacked them. They were steadfast in their beliefs that Avalonians were sneaky and had hidden agendas to gain influence and take control of the Republic. It was farfetched as far as plots were concerned. No one system could control the body politic; heck even one person couldn’t do that. Those that supported Avalon knew were those that personally knew an Avalonian, like the senator of Ryloth, or they had exceptional trade relations. It didn’t occur to her that there were senators who actually believed the Avalonians.

Next on her mind was the poor Chancellor. He hid in the Jedi Temple to think and relax. Not that she blamed him. Senator Amstar knew that he was under a lot of pressure to take a side to support and she knew that he was on the edge of a precipice. If he sided with Avalon, the opposition would take matters into their own hands and declare war on Avalon. If he sided with the opposition, they would be at war anyway. It was a no-win situation for everyone and she saw it and was sure to bet that the Chancellor knew it too. He had listened to the proceedings with a look that gave the impression that he was bored but from experience, Senator Amstar knew that he was paying attention to every word that was being said.

The senator stood there looking at the air traffic run through Coruscant. The continuous line of speeders felt like the words and accusations that were bombarded against her. They kept running and running; there seemed to be no end to the train of insults and carefully timed jabs meant to insult. She wished that she could be somewhere else, some place safe and away from the obvious hatred, distrust and dislike that she had been forced to look at in the face. Still she would hold her head up high. She was a woman. She had the heart of the handmaidens and she could face the Senate. She stood up straight and breathed in deeply. When the senator of Ryloth came to fetch her, she looked every bit like the women warriors spoken of in legend.
 igyman
01-29-2007, 5:38 PM
A quiet chapter. Just like you said, it sets the stage, nothing more, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. That Zherron thing made my day (a tribute to the character of the same name from KoTOR 2, no doubt).
 JediMaster12
01-29-2007, 5:56 PM
Yeah it is a quiet chapter. I believe in that saying of the calm before the storm. It is raging but it is not there yet. As to the Zherron name, it is mentioned again in HotG if you remember. I decided to give a tribute to the character in TSL in this one but when I originally named the tribe I just picked a name. It didn't occur to me that I named the tribe after the leader of the militia on Dantooine. Then again the general personality of members of this tribe is that they are a no nonsense group. They are willing members of their homeworld but they are also determined to see things through. That was what kept the Confederation of Tribes together when it was formed but that is like years after this story. Glad you enjoyed this chapter.
 Aurora Starfire
01-29-2007, 9:07 PM
Another good chapter. I just noticed a couple of little things, but overall it was good, as usual ;)

It had its dangers of course but like anything else, the Avalonians took to it like anything else.
You used "like anything else" twice in the sentence; you could either go with but the Avalonians took to it like anything else or but like anything else, the Avalonians took to it

It was here that Lady Mara set foot after departing from Coruscant with the goal to see that no harm came to here people.
This one's simple. You just accidently tacked on an extra "e" onto "her". with the goal to see that no harm came to her people.

Those are the ones I noticed in particular.... seems to me that I saw one more thing the first time I read it over, but that was before I went to martial arts..... I'm too tired now to figure out if it was just my imagination or not :xp:
But it's really good, nonetheless. Waiting for more!!
 JediMaster12
01-29-2007, 9:17 PM
That first line I wrote was intentionally. I know that it doesn't make grammatical sense but it has its purpose. I was trying to convey the idea that Avalonians in general take things as they come. They hardly ever worry about the future in terms of individuals and things like that. A lot of the phrases and sentences I use are intentional mainly because I find that it brings out the personality of the individual people. Kirabaros himself likes to speak in riddles but he can be serious and takes it in a lighthearted manner. That doesn't mean that he is heartless.

As to the second error thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes I type so fast that I tend to tack on an extra letter when there shouldn't be one or rearrange the letters into a word that doesn't make sense. I am glad that you liked it and I am almost done with 42 so look for it within the next few days. This one I really went introspective on.
 Aurora Starfire
01-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Ok, I was just pointing it out in case it actually was an error ;) And you do a great job of bringing the personalities to life.

All we huddled masses are eagerly awaiting the next chapter! :xp:
 Diego Varen
01-30-2007, 1:27 AM
A quiet chapter. Just like you said, it sets the stage, nothing more, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. That Zherron thing made my day (a tribute to the character of the same name from KoTOR 2, no doubt).

Agreed. I liked Zherron in TSL. Anyway, JM12, good Chapter and I'm looking foward to more and the character that will return in the next Chapter.
Page: 4 of 5