Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[FIC]Heart of Deception

Page: 3 of 5
 Diego Varen
11-22-2006, 1:43 AM
Yes I don't like Cena. Good Chapter as always and I'm looking foward to more. I'm glad the manuscript is failing now.
 igyman
11-22-2006, 6:51 AM
:lol: ''Uncle Candy'' :lol: now that's just... just... :rofl:
I bet Canderous hates it, he just doesn't seem the family, or the children type.
 JediMaster12
11-22-2006, 3:41 PM
He has a soft spot for little Lilah. He won't admit to anyone save Sarna. Who can't but help fall under the spell of a cute not little three year old? No he doesn't hate it. He may growl when in the presence of warriors he respects like Revan and Kirabaros but he is touched.
I noticed something. In the chapters that I am writing now, I have purposely put in some movie lines and there are references to the game itself, of certain incidents. I also noticed that some seem disjoined from one another because it is my intention to leave people hanging. I will say this, I made good on my promise that HK is going to get to blast some meatbags. Yes, a person will die, maybe two, haven't decided yet because the Republic is still in a funk with Avalon because of my baddie. Also there will be some dismemberment and I can say that it will not be caused by HK. So ther. :xp:
 JediMaster12
11-22-2006, 4:12 PM
Chapter 25
The Outer Rim was no place for a Jedi wanted by various systems but it was a place to get lost in, just as long as you had a ship that wasn’t a registered Republic vessel. It was just the place for the lone vessel cruising towards the familiar desert world of Tatooine. It looked like a wounded animal limping for shelter as it had a damaged hyperdrive but it was worth its salt. Kirabaros saw to that, well he had seen to that.

After three months of testimony and relentless attempts on Revan’s life by dissident peoples from the Outer Rim crying for blood, Kirabaros, with the support of several senators took the initiative and got Revan out. He himself was not well received anymore for during that time rumors began to spread about him. Very few senators had faith in him and they were the ones who supported his get away plan. They were joined by Carth, Dustil, Caelos and T3 creating an able bodied crew of six and took off towards the Outer Rim. They couldn’t go back to Avalon for Kirabaros was wanted by the Council on a charge of treason, a charge as a result of the rumors. Along the way, they were able to blend in with various civilians until they were ratted out and they had to flee. Somewhere they lost Kirabaros.

The port of Anchorhead welcomed the Wayfarer with no questions except to pay a onetime docking fee, which was given without argument. After landing the ship, Carth left the cockpit and made his way to the engine room where Caelos was working on the hyperdrive. Caelos greeted him without preamble, “They took out the hyperdrive generator Carth. It’s gone. We’re going to need a new one.”

“That’s going to complicate things. Any other problems?”

“Minor problems. Easily repairable,” Caelos replied while returning to work. “What I wouldn’t give to have that Iridonian tech here. All wires and switches to him.”

“Uh, okay. Besides the parts, what else do we need?”

“Probably stock up on supplies and we need information. First I think you should talk to her,” Caelos stopped working to look at Carth. “He was her brother.”

Carth said nothing but nodded at Caelos. Taking a deep breath, Carth left the engine room and made his way to the dormitories. The Wayfarer had been designed like the Ebon Hawk, a stock freighter, but in the Avalonian design, meaning that it was faster and a tiny bit more spacious. Carth passed T3 warbling sadly and going about making repairs and went to the quarters that he and Revan shared to find her sitting cross-legged on the bed while Dustil sat across her just staring at her with a perplexed frown. Quietly he treaded towards Dustil and placed a hand on his shoulder. Dustil looked at his father and nodded and went to find Caelos. Carth took his place in front of Revan and studied her.

Revan was still as a statue. Her hair was frizzing and at odd angles and her honey colored eyes were glazed over. She had sat in that manner ever since… “Rev?” Carth asked gently. She hadn’t even heard his voice for she was stuck in time or rather a memory.

They had just left Naboo after being found out by mercenaries of dissident Avalonians and were heading towards Ryloth since the senator had offered aid. Carth
had been piloting the Wayfarer and Kirabaros was teaching a new Bushida form to Dustil and Caelos, much to the amusement of Revan. The sudden shudder sent Kirabaros striding purposely to the cockpit. They had been caught by a cruiser class ship. The unasked question was on everyone’s lips and was answered by Kirabaros, “It’s an Avalonian vessel.”

Captured and questioned separately by none other than Admiral Keegan, Kirabaros managed to break everyone out with the help of T3. They were able to disable the necessary systems to get the ship away. Kirabaros was her rock for it was like the Leviathan all over again. He understood and sent reassuring thoughts through their bond as they battled their way through Avalonian troops, Outcast troops. She could see that it pained him to kill members of his people but he never faltered. It wasn’t until they were at the main door before the hangar bay that the mastermind of this whole mess appeared with Keegan.

Draconis introduced himself with the practiced grace of the nobility. He drew a serrated blade and Keegan drew a standard issue vibroblade. They charged but Kirabaros countered with a powerful Force Wave. He yelled at his friends to run for the ship much to against the protest of his friends. Draconis and Keegan were getting to their feet. As soon as the last person was through, he used the Force to lock the door.

They ran until they reached the ship. She could sense his determination and will as she boarded the ship. Carth fired up the engines but she paid no heed except to watch out the window as the turrets fired upon them. Their shield generator got hit but that didn’t matter. Not even after T3 went out to reroute power for he cut her off after he had been in pain much like Bastila did.

Carth had been calling to Revan trying to break her out of her trance for some time now. He didn’t know what to do for he knew how much Kirabaros meant to her. Though patience wasn’t his strong suit, he was willing to wait. He studied her face and her posture. It looked like she was meditating but she wasn’t and he had an idea why. When they had been captured, it brought back memories of the torment they suffered on the Leviathan. He even recognized the old feelings of betrayal when he found out that Keegan had been trying to kill his wife and kidnap his daughter. He sighed and moved from being across from Revan to sit next to her.

Revan slowly became aware that something had changed. Her senses reached out and found the one source of comfort in the galaxy and it was right next to her. She then heard a voice in her mind, ‘Love is a precious thing. It is always there no matter what.’ That seemed to wake her up for she burst into tears only to be engulfed by Carth’s strong, comforting arms. Caelos had been watching and was satisfied at what he saw. He turned to walk away quietly. There would be plenty of time to give a report later.

Being a scoundrel was an easy way to blend in, if you wanted to get lost. It was easier for Avalonians because they knew how to adapt quickly, an odd yet useful trait. It allowed Rowan and Atton to pass off as smugglers and the like on Nar Shaddaa and Michaela was considered, more or less, a bounty hunter that hired them. It helped that the whole Jedi personage was discarded and Rowan was careful not to slip into his habit of quoting Bushida. They had come there for there was rumor that the leader of the group that wanted to kill Revan was recruiting from there.

What started out as a mission to find the kids turned out to be an undercover mission. Early on, they had been contacted by Mission who had a message from Kirabaros that it wasn’t a good idea to go anywhere near Coruscant. He also hinted that there had been heavy persuasion being used on the dissident peoples of the Outer Rim who suffered at the hands of Darth Revan. Michaela, reading the plea between the lines, suggested that they investigate this and try to find out what was going on. Atton didn’t want to give up but when Michaela pointed out that they might come across someone who had seen them, he agreed.

They had arrived on Nar Shaddaa yesterday without question or ceremony. The reason being that Michaela managed to bribe the dock master with credits. Atton led the way being the most familiar with the refugee sector but became increasingly uncomfortable with Michaela’s silence. He peered at her to take a look at what was the matter. He found her regal features marred by a trace of sadness, the kind that accompanied loss and her eyes had a peculiar glazed look. Rowan gave the impression that he didn’t see anything when in fact he did. He had felt it too but he wasn’t comfortable showing emotion. Atton asked what was the matter. Michaela, her eyes returning to their bright brown, just smiled and said, “Nothing.”

Atton wasn’t so sure but he decided not to press the issue. He had the nagging feeling that it had to do with Kirabaros. Though they were friends, he didn’t share the same connection his wife and kid did. He said nothing more about it. They had enough troubles meeting up with the mercs.

The room was confining, the force field burned if you brushed against it yet Kirabaros didn’t notice these things. He didn’t notice anything at all as he lay on the bunk in the cell. He lingered somewhere in limbo in his mind drifting from past to present, always searching for a way out. He knew how to get out but he stayed there. He had the keys but the door remained locked and it was a good thing too. There was something around his neck that was meant to mentally torture a Jedi. It reeked of a familiar presence and taking that into account, Kirabaros locked away his mind and allowed it to drift into nothingness. At one point, his mind drifted to how he got to where he was.

Revan had escaped just as Draconis and Keegan were getting up. He twirled his lightsaber and readied for attack. Draconis waved Keegan off and circled Kirabaros saying, “You can’t imagine how I dreamed of this moment. You have defiled centuries of ancient tradition all because of your petty complaint that all was not right.”

It was mocking to hear that as Keegan left with a smirk on his face. Kirabaros was well aware that most of nobles disliked him because of the ending of the separate but equal clauses. They always tried to discredit him one way or another. Kirabaros replied, “You would risk open war between our people and the Republic just to be rid of me?”

“I would murder innocents just to see you hanged,” Draconis replied, not moving.

“Well now that you have me, what do you plan to do?”

The question was answered by a forward charge by Draconis. Kirabaros countered and advanced. It was impressive swordplay as they exchanged blows. The first breach came when Draconis feinted and made a hard thrust into Kirabaros’ upper arm. Painful as it was, Kirabaros refused to let out a cry and continued, returning the favor with a stab to the leg of Draconis. It then became much like a petty slapping match with some hits being nicks and others being punches or kicks.

It ended when Draconis reached out with the Force and slammed Kirabaros into the bulkhead. Kirabaros didn’t have ample recovery time when he felt a burning sensation in his side. The last thing he remembered was blacking out.

So here he was lying on a bunk, a prisoner of Draconis, drifting in and out of consciousness. He had cut her off from him so easily after she left. In fact, he cut himself off from everything, as if he were dead and not one with the Force. It allowed him to concentrate on a calming sensation to heal. It was working but consumed much energy, energy he didn’t have at the moment but somehow he managed to find more. There’s more than one way to play this game.
 Diego Varen
11-22-2006, 4:26 PM
Good Chapter JM12 and I'm looking foward to more. At this rate, it looks like it will be a lot longer compared to the Rise of the Blood King.
 JediMaster12
11-22-2006, 6:53 PM
Yep, yep. I have so many things going on, even I have a hard time trying to keep up. Still I have some interesting coincidences and the like coming up. Feed on that Pottsie until you starve cause it will be a while before my next post.
 igyman
11-23-2006, 4:16 AM
Very very very VERY goooood!! JM's writing talent applied to the fullest. I've said it once before and I'll say it again: you might want to stop writing for free and start doing it for a living. :thumbsup:
 JediMaster12
11-23-2006, 8:41 PM
You did say that igyman? I must have forgot due to all I have on my plate right now. That was a nice compliment by the way.

On a general note: Did anyone recognize a bit of The Phantom Menace in this chapter when Carth was asking about the hyperdrive generator? Well with that said, I'll warm you that there is more where that came from. The line where Draconis mentions a petty complaint, that was based off a line from the musical 1776. So you see that I am wide spread. Thanks for being loyal readers and I'll try to get the next chapters up soon.
 igyman
11-24-2006, 3:37 AM
 JediMaster12
11-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh. Like I said I forgot and I have been swamped. I am in the middle of writing my final for the upper division writing. A 10 page research paper and I actually wrote it but I have to fix it so I have to improve the wheel. not reinvent it. Thanks for the reminder igyman. I have considered it. I even have a story involving archaeology and magic, blah, blah with a bit of hint, hint, romance. Can't get away fromit but this tiem the hero's a gal. Thanks for the reminder igyman.
 JediMaster12
11-28-2006, 3:16 PM
Finally another chapter.
*Still waving the unposted chapters at Pottsie*

Chapter 26

The hunt was over, the Jedi was caught. That was the way it was with being a bounty hunter. You could track something for days and months and sometimes someone else claimed the bounty. This time the client got the bounty himself. That didn’t matter to Jaqrand. He was still being paid for his services and he was asked to join the ranks. He was good at finding things and his kills were needed to find Revan. That sounded good. Even better was the fact that the idiots who were to grab the kids failed and no longer on the job. Permanently.

He was walking with his client who was showing him to the best rooms on the ship. They stopped at the force field and peered in. The lifeless body gave no indication that he noticed them. There was no indication that the body was alive save for the vital signs on the panel. Jaqrand took one look and his face registered disappointment. He wasn’t being paid to torture dead bodies.

Draconis was gazing at the body lying on the bunk with great interest. He caught the disappointment on his bounty hunter’s face and smiled. Kirabaros had achieved a state that took years to learn and in just a few hours. Impressed but pleased. He had tarnished his reputation in the Republic and Senator Amstar was in a rut trying to keep relations sound. To ease Jaqrand’s discomfort, he said, “Don’t worry. He’s alive and the vitals prove it.”

“Even in sleep a person moves. This thing isn’t moving. You expect me to torment and subdue this lump?” Jaqrand looked at Draconis as if he were insane.

“He is alive. It’s about time for him to come out of any way. I want that disruptor of yours on when he wakes up. What you do then is up to you but I want Keegan to have a word with him.” Draconis turned on his heel to walk away.

“Where are you going?”

“I have to go back to Coruscant. I have been invited to speak out against our prisoner.” Draconis was walking when he said this.

Jaqrand shook his head and continued to gaze at the lifeless body. He pulled out the neural disruptor that he spent time checking. He gave a sigh and lowered the force field.

He was on the Jasilyn plains where the tall grasses rippled in the wind like an endless green sea. The warm sun cast a sheet of soft light on the green. At a small glen near the river were two people, or was it three? He got closer and saw that it was three, two men and a woman. They turned to face him with the woman holding the arm of the taller of the two men. She had golden brown eyes and dark brown hair and a smile that was endearing to anyone. She looked at him and beamed brightly and said, “I knew you’d find us here.”

The one she was holding onto brought a double take to his eyes. The green eyes and the two stray brown locks gave him away. He looked very much like how he did when he was that age. The other young man had messy hair and lively brown eyes. He smiled like his father but the eyes held the traces of temper from his mother. He spoke, “We have been waiting.”

“There is dangerous footing ahead,” the green-eyed youth interjected. “We will stay here. It is safe here but Aunt Reva needs your help. She can’t fight him alone.”

“Mama will need your help but the Republic needs heart,” the woman said.

“The Heart of the Guardian,” the brown-eyed youth said. “Home won’t be home without the Republic and my papa won’t come home.”

“Right Dada. Kirabaros is being called again,” the green-eyed youth said.

They stood there as he drew back. He looked at the three of them as they stood there, watching him leave. He saw as his son dropped a gentle kiss on her cheek…

Tulre awoke on his pallet, his green eyes roaming about the room. He could hear Morgan wake up beside him with short little gasps. He turned to look at Morgan and asked, “You had the same one?”

Morgan looked at Tulre and nodded. He wasn’t sure where he had been but it was familiar. Having grown up in the academy, he had never seen the plains of Jasilyn but it had that familiar warmth and it felt safe. Tulre had been there and so had been Lilah but they were all grown up. He asked Tulre, “Why did we see your papa?”

Tulre was puzzled himself. He whispered back, “I think Dada is in trouble.”

“I think so too.”

They were stopped when the door to their room opened. Lilah tottered into their room and kneeled between their pallets. She whispered, “Mama needs help too.” That told the boys that she had the same dream they had. They had no idea that they were beginning to take their first steps into a larger world. They sat there in companionable silence until Lilah got up to go back to her room.

Tulre watched as she left. Even though he told his Marmar that she was a Jawa, he felt the deepest feelings for her. Glancing at Morgan, he felt a special kinship, kind of like the one he sensed between his Dada and Aunt Reva. He thought about the dream as he waited until Morgan drifted off to sleep.

Kirabaros slowly opened his eyes and felt nothing except a dull hum. He saw that he was still lying on the bunk that he had been laying on trying to heal himself. The only thing different was that he found something rubbing on his neck. Slowly, he reached with his left to touch the object around his neck. He didn’t flinch when he felt the familiar band of a Force inhibitor and he could tell it was a powerful one. That would account for the dull hum he could hear.

Ignoring the collar, he gazed up and thought about the last vision that he had. Judging from the vision, he could make out that the children were all right in Mamesa’s care though he seriously doubted they were back on Avalon. They had been waiting for him they said. Apparently it had to be the Force at work but he couldn’t use it. He surmised that they instinctively reached out to him together and he responded. They really are quite a team. I hope she knows how to handle them.

His thoughts were interrupted by a cruel voice, one he didn’t recognize. “So you’re awake now,” it stated the obvious.

Kirabaros turned his head to face a man with dark hard and dark glittering eyes. He was sitting on a steel chair looking at him as if he had been waiting for him to wake up. Kirabaros put a hand to his eyes to block out the light as he refocused on his surroundings. The only thing that moved was his chest and the hand.

Jaqrand watched as the Jedi moved. He marveled inwardly at how he minimized his movements but outwardly showed a slight irritation. He asked, “What are you thinking about? That you can’t hear your precious Force?” He smiled in anticipation of the panic.

Kirabaros had other ideas. He slowly sat up, allowing a few seconds for the dizziness to pass through and leaned back against the wall. He smiled at his captor and replied, “I am thinking ‘what a low down scum like yourself is doing with a high class scumbag like Draconis?’”

Jaqrand was startled. Usually Jedi tend to scream when they realized that they lost the Force. This one was thinking that this was a joke. Jaqrand had little idea that Kirabaros was not easily intimidated and that he had faced torture before and it was firmly etched in his mind. He hid it by replying, “You think this is some sort of game? Do you have any idea who I am? What I was?”

“No but I have a feeling that I’m about to find out, Jaqrand.” Kirabaros had a stoic face that gave nothing away.

“You know my name?” Jaqrand couldn’t help but ask. He had stood up from the chair and tried to look intimidating.

Kirabaros slowly stood up to meet his gaze. He started to walk forward as he said, “And what you did and what you intend to do.” He didn’t really know but he had a gut feeling that this man was the one that shot him on Avalon and had been behind the attempt during the Senate proceedings. He stared at Jaqrand for a long time, not moving. His mind was already bent on escaping and he had an idea how. He needed to wait for the opportune moment.

Jaqrand frowned at him and replied, “So you know that I have been hired at first to kill you and now torture you?”

Now full of information, Kirabaros responded, “Yes. You are very much like an old person I know of. He’s not like you anymore. He moved on. You haven’t.”

“That’s because I know where my loyalties stand,” Jaqrand moved towards the field. He was unnerved that this Jedi wasn’t responding like the others. “Perhaps my client will want a few moments with you. Now excuse me, I have an appointment,” and he left Kirabaros standing there.

Kirabaros stood there for a while and then slowly sat on the bunk. Even though he couldn’t feel the Force, it wasn’t deafening or dramatic like it was for Darius, the Exile. Instead he concentrated on where he had seen his son, goddaughter and nephew. Morgan he called his nephew because of the brotherhood he and Atton shared as Jedi, an Avalonian thing. He went into a meditative state and calmed his body and mind. He was going to need it and he didn’t need the Force to sense it.

“Statement: I detest this mission you are sending me on you Mandalorian meatbag.”

“As much as I liked having you around you demented tin can, I can do without you for awhile. Besides, if my intelligence is correct, you’ll get a chance to bust some skulls.” Canderous was in a foul mood. After spending the last few months with droid after dropping the kids off at the hamachi, he was glad to get rid of it. He found out disturbing news from one of the traders that came by Amshrey and it was confirmed by a transmission from Michaela. He would go himself but he had been asked, not ordered to continue with what he was doing and he and Sarna were going in the opposite direction. He asked me to send HK. Almost as if he knew what was going to happen, he thought to himself.

HK broke his musings when he exclaimed, “Objection: Master surely needs me!”

“Whatever. There you are ready to go under your protocol two-two-beta-charlie-one.” Canderous rolled his eyes and watched as the new protocol activated. HK then took to stomping out to a ship that he was to take. He watched until the droid was gone and went to the communications console. Right on time the console activated to reveal an old friend. To him he said, “Alright Old Man he’s gone. What next?”
 Diego Varen
11-28-2006, 3:23 PM
*Still waving the unposted chapters at Pottsie*

Dang and I thought that had passed over. Very good JM12 and I'm looking foward to more as always.
 igyman
11-29-2006, 1:19 PM
Very nice, but that's characteristical for you. Believe it, or not, I have no complaints this time, none whatsoever. I liked everything. From the Draconis and Jaqrand dialogue to the cliffhanger. Keep it up.
 JediMaster12
11-29-2006, 1:27 PM
Cliffhangers I love. I try to do it but make sure it fits. I want to keep my readers interested. Thanks for the compliments igyman and Pottsie. Sorry Pottsie but you will still be tortured. Things are sketchy now. How's that for a cliffhanger?
 JediMaster12
12-04-2006, 3:57 PM
Ok. I have a new chapter for you finally. This one is kind of long and again I couldn't resist certain pieces of dialogue that I will leave you to figure out.

Chapter 27
Pulling herself together wasn’t easy and Carth and Caelos weren’t going to let her fall apart. Because of that, Revan managed to help out as they sought a means to get the necessary money to buy the parts they needed for the hyperdrive of the Wayfarer. They had gone to one of the smaller junk dealers who had a good working order hyperdrive generator for a stock freighter Avalonian class. The dealer was a Toydarian who called himself Tatlo and was often seen with a bunch of flies hanging around him. Revan had gone with Carth and T3, disguised as a spacer and the slight stench found them first.

Tatlo was agreeable at first since they were customers. Revan only had to glance around to see that the Toydarian had it made. He told her that he was the only one there in Anchorhead who had one but suggested that she’d buy a new ship since it would be cheaper. The question about funding came about, “How are you going to pay for it?”

“I have twenty thousand Republic credits,” she said in the manner of business.

“Republic credits? Those are no good out here anymore. I need something more real,” Tatlo replied flying to get in front of Revan.

“I don’t have anything else,” and doing what she disliked doing unless absolutely necessary, she waved her hand, “but credits will do fine.”

“No, they won’t.”

“Credits will do fine,” Revan said again with a little more of the Force.

“No, they won’t! What, you think you’re some kind of Jedi waving your hand around like that?” Tatlo waved his hand mocking the manner of the Jedi Mind Trick. “I’m a Toydarian. Mind tricks don’t work on me. Only money.” Then accentuating his points by getting slightly in her face, “No money, no parts no deal! And no one else has an AV-20 hyperdrive I can promise you that.”

Revan had said nothing but gave a slight smile and went to collect Carth who had been looking for other spare parts. “We’re leaving. T3.” She headed out the door to find an alley where they could contact Caelos.

Caelos had just finished dismantling the old generator when Revan contacted him. He sighed as he picked up the comm and said, “Caelos.”

Revan’s voice came over, “We have a problem. We don’t have enough for the parts. Can you check what we have?”

“Wait a minute,” and Caelos went to do a quick sweep of the ship. He reported his findings to Revan.

“Are you sure there is nothing else on board?” she asked.

“A few containers of supplies. The ale that was found in the hidden compartment maybe but not enough for you to barter with. Not the amounts you’re talking about,” Caelos replied.

“Alright, another solution will present itself. I’ll check back later”

“You all right?”

“Yes,” Revan replied and repeated that she’ll check in later.

Caelos sat back on his heels next to the generator he had just disassembled and heaved a sigh. Dustil came walking in and asked what was up. Caelos didn’t stand but reiterated the problem that they had in order to obtain the new generator. Caelos laid out the option that he knew would win money but required daring. It was meant to be a last resort when he said, “The only way to get the money without having to resort to other forms of shady business is to run at the swoop track.”

“Carth, it is the only way but the problem is that there may not be anyone wanting to race against me, er, Lilah Aldstar.”

“You disliked racing the last time we were here and I seem to recall that you crashed the last time,” Carth ticked off on his fingers.

Revan turned her honey colored eyes from him and reverted them to gaze at the people passing through the streets. True she had no stomach for racing but she did it because they had no choice. She didn’t want to resort to bounty hunting and hunting on the sand dunes would take too long. She remembered quite clearly that last race. Something hit the bike and she skidded out of control after crossing the finish line. She managed to leap off but ended up with a few bruised ribs and a nasty scrape that required Jolee to clean it out before administering healing. There were some good things that happened then and she smiled when she remembered it.

I was afraid then and I am afraid now but I have no choice just as much as I did then. Revan pondered some more before turning back to Carth and said, “We have no choice. We have to race.”

“Where are we going to get a swoop bike R-Lilah?” Carth nearly said her name but caught it just in time. “Unless you get a sponsor, we have no chance of getting into the race.”

“Perhaps we can engage in a high stakes…”

“Uh, you cleaned out everyone the last time and I think the bar tenders might remember you,” Carth pointed out.

“Alright but what about dejarik or a game of chance?” Revan was suggesting games that most people bet on and the last one could be a sure bet.

“Maybe we should include Caelos and Dustil in on this?” Carth suggested hoping to get her mind off the idea of racing. He was relieved when she agreed when she didn’t argue but he was also alert. It was a method of hers that she used to get something by pretending to back down and then pounce in for the kill when there was no wiggle room to maneuver.

They just started to set off went T3 beeped something.

Revan looked at the little droid and said, “Not likely. We have nothing of value and that’s our problem.” She turned to lead the way back to the ship and adjusted to allow Carth to come up beside her. They continued down the street until a sight stopped them.

Mamesa wasn’t feeling well. She hadn’t ever since the hamachi moved to Tatooine as a resting point before heading out to one of cultured worlds. They were able to make some money through the maiko who gave demonstrations and even lessons in combat training. Still the heat and the sand got to her and she developed a slight fever. With Tante’s help, she got over the worse but she was still poorly and the house suffered. Still she kept a pleasant face and continued to watch her charges as she had promised and Tante helped.

On this day Tulre was being sent to a weaponry shop where one of the maiko had sent his weapon to be repaired and to obtain some energy charges. He took Morgan with him since they had a huge order of charges to pick up and they hadn’t been outside the hamachi for awhile, not since the maiko Gengi got into some trouble with some locals trying to push them around. The boys had been there and ended up with a few bruises for trying to help out. Mamesa was upset but relieved even though she wasn’t supposed to share her feelings. Who could help but like the four sprats she had running around the hamachi?

They had picked up what they were supposed to and were heading home. They stopped at one of the vendors where Tulre bought some sweet bread. The money he had came from the mechanical gadgets and repairs he made around the hamachi. Lilah helped too even though she wasn’t supposed to but like him, she loved mechanical things. Morgan earned money too by playing the maiko with dejarik and occasionally pazaak. He also learned of a drinking game but he was too young for that but he kept book on the participants. Of course Mamesa wasn’t to know since gambling wasn’t technically allowed. They were talking and munching their bread when they were stopped by a group of young punks who demanded their money.

Revan saw the boys before they saw her but she didn’t recognize them. The taller of the two took an aggressive stance and pushed the smaller one behind him. It was clear that his intention was to ward off the bullies who were twice his size as his hand reached into his tunic, or whatever it was. There was something familiar about him but she could place it. He was tanned, possibly from the suns and his skin was a brown. He has courage, much like Kirabaros, she thought as she stopped. The little one had even messier and darker hair and looked ridiculous holding all that gear as he was being pushed behind the taller of the two.

Carth noticed that Revan had stopped and was watching something so he stopped too. He asked, “What’s on your mind?”

She smiled at the familiar question but it quickly dissipated as she pointed towards the boys. She whispered, “Think we should help?”

“I don’t want any trouble,” Tulre said. He had placed his hand into his sash that was holding his kimono top together. “Now’s not the time.”

The apparent leader, a Rodian, said something that Morgan couldn’t understand but Tulre did. The Rodian said something like, “You want no trouble. You ask for trouble. You have energy charges.”

“They aren’t for you. Leave us alone,” Tulre said, unconsciously drawing on the Force.

It wasn’t enough for the Rodian laughed at him. He replied, “Heh. Little boy think he can tell us to go away.” The rest of the group began to laugh.

A little more forcefully, Tulre tried again, this time in Huttese, “Careful Gendar. The maiko don’t take kindly to one of their being harmed. I’d hate to see you diced before we have to race again.” He smiled.

“The next time we race, I’ll see you eating my exhaust,” the Rodian replied as he walked by. He gave a hard shove to Morgan who fell to the ground as the group walked away laughing.

Tulre called in Huttese as they were leaving, “Yeah and it would be a pain if you have to pay for me.” He helped Morgan up and dusted him off. He picked up the energy charges and handed the blade to Morgan. They continued to walk home and talked in Avalonian. They were brought up short by a woman, a man and a T3 unit. Tulre recognized his father’s friends and T3 wasn’t hard to forget but judging by the look on their faces, they didn’t recognize them. He said in Basic, “Hi.”

Revan was surprised at the little boy’s courage with the bullies. Even more so by the linguistic ability the taller of the two possessed. In response to his question, she responded, “Hi there. You almost picked a fight there with a Rodian. Not a good choice unless you know what you are doing.”

“The tried to pick a fight with us,” Tulre retorted, his green eyes flashing.

“I don’t doubt that,” Reva replied, “What are your names?”

Obeying the instructions that Mamesa gave them, by responding with the maiko names she gave them, “Shang-Li.”

Morgan followed Tulre with, “Chiyo-chan or Chiyo.”

The sands began to swirl around the city of Anchorhead. Caelos was standing in the port looking at the sky and watching the sand swirls. He was looking up and watching the dockhands scurry for shelter. He muttered to himself, “This storm will slow them down.” He shielded his eyes from the blowing sand. His comm beeped and he answered, “Caelos.”

“Receiving a message from Coruscant,” Dustil’s voice came over the comm.

“I’ll be right there,” Caelos replied. He gave one last look at the dock before walking up the ramp to the Wayfarer. At the top of the ramp, he shut the doors and locked them. I hope they find some shelter from the storm, he thought as he walked towards the communications room. He was met by Dustil who bent over the console to show him the transmission.

Carth looked at the boys as they looked at them and thought they looked familiar. It became clear to him as he peered at their manner and the voice they gave their ‘names’ and he gave an inward chuckle to himself. You are clever Kirabaros. He gripped Revan’s arm gently and said, “We should be heading back to our ship. A storm’s coming up.”

“Where’s that?” Morgan asked.

“At the starport, docking block AA23,” Carth replied much to the surprise of his wife.

“You’ll never reach that side in time,” Morgan exclaimed.

“He’s right. Sandstorms are very, very dangerous. Come on. I’m sure the hamachi will have room,” Tulre added.

Refusing help to carry their load, the boys led the way to the gates of the hamachi. Even though the huts looked flimsy, they held up quite well to all types of weather. They led the way to the largest hut to have the door opened by Kimiko. She bowed as they and their guests walked in and closed the door. She watched them with a mild look of curiosity as they almost breached propriety when they forgot to remove their boots. Being a kind girl, she showed them where to store their boots and remained there as Tante came into view and showed their visitors, with the exception of the droid, to the sitting room and shooed Kimiko to get tea. It looked as if teatime would be an interesting time during the sandstorm.

Tulre and Morgan, when they entered, took off their shoes quickly and hurried off to find Tante and tell her who had come. They had left their companions at the landing to be helped by Kimiko and to put away their purchases. Once they disposed of their packages, they hurried up to the rooms where they found Lilah putting away kimono. It was Morgan who spoke, “Guess who we brought for tea?”
 Diego Varen
12-04-2006, 4:03 PM
I noticed that some of Tatlo's dialogue was similar to Watto's in Episode I. Anyway, good Chapter as always JM12 and I'm looking foward to more. I'm also going to read some of your reviews from the people at KFM. One question. Do you prefer LF or KFM?
 igyman
12-04-2006, 4:05 PM
Nooooo!!! It was really good until now. Don't tell me you're running out of ideas that you had to rewrite a part of Episode One for the fic. C'mon JM12, you know you can do better than this, story-wise (grammar-wise it's all good). :(

P.S. Hurry up and edit the Ep. One pieces out before anyone else sees it. ;)

Edit: Ah, too late, Pottsie already saw it.
@Pottsie: It's not just that dialogue, most of the plot of this chapter is taken from Episode One, hence my disappointment.
 Diego Varen
12-04-2006, 4:24 PM
Nooooo!!! It was really good until now. Don't tell me you're running out of ideas that you had to rewrite a part of Episode One for the fic. C'mon JM12, you know you can do better than this, story-wise (grammar-wise it's all good). :(

P.S. Hurry up and edit the Ep. One pieces out before anyone else sees it. ;)

Edit: Ah, too late, Pottsie already saw it.
@Pottsie: It's not just that dialogue, most of the plot of this chapter is taken from Episode One, hence my disappointment.

I don't mind Episode I. I sometimes use inspiration from both the film and the game for my Fics. I'm sure JM12 did that as well.
 igyman
12-04-2006, 5:25 PM
Inspiration is fine, but JM12 used the same dialogue from Ep. 1 with the Toydarian and also that encounter with the Rodian's gang resembles a lot to Anakin's encounter with Sebulba and there's the fact that there will be a swoop race (so they could get the parts they need for their ship). Like I said I'm fine with using movies, games and books for inspiration, but this was completely taken from the movie, only the names have been changed and that's what I don't like. Especially after reading JM's work so far, I mean it was great and completely original and now I see this.

@JM12: Don't get discouraged by my comments, it's all with good intentions. :)
 JediMaster12
12-04-2006, 5:37 PM
igyman: It was intentional when I used Episode one. The nice thing is that Revan finally puled herself together though I think that she may become frazzled when certain persons are beaten and tortured and held as bait, or rescued.The scenes regarding the boys being attempted to be robbed I thought that a good way for some worried parents to see how the sprats are getting along. I do promise that the next chapter involves familiar characters and reinforces the secrets and deception theme and maybe a certain bounty hunter will meet up with a former Sith assassin turned scoundrel turned Jedi?

Pottsie: I write for both sites and really have no preference. I like KFM because there are new fics and it is an archive of ideas for when I compose my absurd diddies. I like the stories too. LF I like because there are great fics here too and they don't have to relate to KOTOR but STar Wars in general. Feel free to read them. The link is in my siggie where it says KFM. That goes to my personal pages. Your favorite HotG is there along with my shorties HoD and other diddies and I believe a poem that I wrote for the heck of it. So enjoy. To post I believe you have to become a member. The nice thing about that site is that you can change the username yourself. I started as JM12 but changed it to Kirabaros.

Don't worry. Some chapters I base off of movies because it fits quite well with my intention of storylines. I do promise that things do get a little crispy and there will be some nagging and lightsaber duels and there may be the start of a war or a prevention. It dependeds on which way the creative genius sways. In the meantime, Check out Blessings of the Written Word for relaxation in between chapters. You'll need it. :lol:

EDIT: igyman, no harmdone and I know that you are disappointed. I wasn't even thinking of using a swoop race to raise the money necessary for the parts. I had something else in mind that may involve a little swordplay and all the Wayfarer crew in participation. Let's just say that scum of the galaxy like a little bit of bloodshed. :D
 JediMaster12
12-06-2006, 6:30 PM
Another chapter to placate the huddled masses. This chapter I let a sadistic nature nearly run loose. I hope the imaging is pleasant to all your delicate ears.

Chapter 28
What else could possibly go wrong? They had come pretending to be the scoundrels that swamped Nar Shaddaa and in so doing they were able to find out about a ringleader of the bounty hunters that was riling up the Outer Rim worlds, at least those that wanted Revan’s head on a platter. Now they were in the middle of the kinrath nest and it seemed that their cover might be blown. Michaela and Rowan blended in as if they had always been the profession that Atton had been before becoming a Jedi. Atton, on the other hand, had a bad feeling about the whole thing.

They had come to the cantina, a special cantina where all the bounty hunters tend to meet and hang out. Once inside, they had begun circulating asking about the big job that they were supposed to do soon. Michaela hung around the females and Rowan was like the silent loner who attracted attention because he appeared to be the kind that wasn’t to be messed with. Atton easily slipped into the role that he had held for so long, before Darius came along and just made due with the pazaak cards. It was sitting there that he started to get that feeling he got when something was going to get real wrong real quick.

Jaqrand was angry and uncomfortable. He didn’t like that Jedi his client had for making him feel this way. When questioned, he appeared to not care. He was too dammed calm when most Jedi would have demanded to be let go. It was disturbing that he didn’t seem to care what would happen to him but what was worse, he seemed to know all about him. It didn’t occur to him that the Jedi had carefully worded his responses so as to seem he knew everything just to wheedle it out of him. He left when Draconis buzzed his comm to go and recruit bounty hunters and the like to start riots in the Outer Rim. So here he was sitting in a special room and viewing all those that came here on Nar Shaddaa on the view screen. He thought he recognized a female that had accompanied his Jedi captive but taking a closer look, he decided he was mistaken. It was the pazaak tables that drew his attention.

Atton sat winning some hands and losing hands trying to get some information. It didn’t help that the bad feeling he had when they walked in was getting stronger. He hoped that Michaela and Rowan would be able to sense it as he sat playing his fourth or fifth match with a guy that seemed to have a lot of credits to burn. He had the feeling that he was being watched. He could do nothing about it except play it cool and finish this round of pazaak.

Jaqrand stared long and hard at what was being shown to him. He couldn’t believe his own eyes. The traitor has come to me, he thought. He was surprised and pleased. He probably wasn’t alone but he couldn’t see who looked out of place. He beckoned to a right hand man and began to whisper his orders into his ear.

Draconis was pleased that he finally had Kirabaros. What he wanted was to know where the children where since Tulre was his son and the other two were unusually strong in the Force. He knew that Kirabaros had too much of a strong will to be tortured for the information but he also knew that his love for the brats was a weakness. He knew this and he intended to use it to the fullest capacity.

He had been watching Kirabaros for the past several days after he told Jaqrand to head for Nar Shaddaa. He had elaborated his plan to destroy the fragile relationship between the Republic and Avalon by breeding distrust in the senators and encouraging assassination plots against Senator Amstar. He thought her to be a traitor but he respected her since she dared to brave the tempest of Coruscant, the cesspool. His latest scheme involved the bounty hunters going in and cause trouble for the Avalonians that lived in the Outer Rim territories. In the past two years, a migration occurred where some Avalonians moved to Republic space to seek their fortunes there. It was as it was in the beginning but Draconis forgot that.

Sitting there in a chair, watching his Jedi trying to sleep with that Force inhibitor on gave him pleasure at the prospect that he was going to succeed in returning Avalon to her former glory. To no longer have her surface tread upon by the Republic scum that tainted the far reaches of the galaxy. Also the divisions that had existed before Kirabaros would return. Everyone would know their place and stay there, No more of the back talking that he got from hot tempered tribesmen who insisted that they had every right as he did. The brutes dared to compare themselves to him? It was an intolerable thought and one brought by the great Kirabaros. He would end this once he had killed him and had the children in his grasp. He breathed to obtain a sense of calm as he got up from his seat and went to the door to where the holding cells were. It was time to show the great Kirabaros what it truly meant to be a son of Avalon.

Jolee was too old to be going on missions, so he said, but this was a special case. He had received a transmission from an old friend telling him that the psychotic bucket of bolts that Revan was so fond of was gone and would meet him at the designated spot. He grumbled as he made his way through the vast corridors of the Jedi Temple down to the hangar bay. He was too old to be getting young whippersnappers out of trouble. You’ll be the death of me yet sonny.

He was stopped at the bay doors by a blue Twi’lek and a limber Cathar. He knew why they were there and had no desire to indulge their whims. He didn’t say anything about needing more help, raced through his mind as he greeted Mission with, “Got something on your mind don’t you?”

“You’re going out there aren’t you?” Mission asked, not mincing the issue.

“I’m an old man dammit! I can go wherever I please,” Jolee answered a bit grumpily.

“Jolee we want to help too. Kirabaros is our friend too,” the Cathar purred her sweet accent.

“I suppose you both are going to nag me until I tell you aren’t you? Yes, yes, I am meeting up with that walking tin can that Revan is so fond of and we are heading out to find them in the Outer Rim. You happy now?” Jolee stood there with annoyed look. He couldn’t be mad at them. After all Kirabaros was the one who told them that Revan was alive and well and offered a place to live in peace, something he was considering before this whole mess.

“Can we come?” Mission asked being like a teenager even though she was an adult. She never had to beg this bad before but she didn’t like being left behind when she could be a big help.

“Perhaps we can provide some assistance should you run into trouble,” Juhani added.

Jolee thought about it for a moment. He knew that Kirabaros was good but not that good. Or maybe he did figure that they would ask to help? It was too complicated to think about it and Jolee often wondered how Kirabaros managed to do it and still raise a family. That last bit made Jolee’s heart soften a bit. Kirabaros may not be considered a Jedi because he loved but he was one in heart and spirit, at least when it came to the ideals of the order. He looked at the two expectant faces and realized he couldn’t deny them. He replied grudgingly, “Alright you can come. I need someone around to make sure that bucket of bolts doesn’t get trigger happy on me.”

Mission let out a yelp of pleasure and grabbed Jolee into a big hug. Juhani just smiled and silently picked up her belongings. She owed Kirabaros much and he held her most precious secret along with many others. She did worry as to whether or not that because he held so many that he might end up betraying himself. She quickly admonished herself for such thoughts as she boarded the ship. She was going to rescue a friend.

He knew they would come. He knew they would follow his advice. He knew that they felt a sense of loyalty to him. He knew this because they were his friends. He told them that he owed them times over before but they insisted that it was they who owed him. It disturbed him and yet he was familiar with that feeling of loyalty. She has it, Darius had it; he was a natural leader, a rare talent.

He knew the old man wouldn’t be alone. The droid had a loose sense of loyalty to him but it didn’t surpass that of his master. Thinking of the droid’s master had him think about her. He had cut her off from him when he sent her packing towards the ship to escape. He didn’t want to but he had to, if only for her sake and his family’s sake. Family was a precious thing to him. He never had one save for them and he would fight to keep them safe. It was the way of the Jedi; protect the innocent. True he was no more a Jedi than her but he still lived his life by their principles. Just picturing them in his mind brought him comfort, especially that dream vision he had of the sprats.

Here he was waiting. They had come earlier and knocked him out. When he had awakened, he found himself strapped to a bunk or table of some sort. He was still deafened to the Force but that wasn’t what bothered him; there were times that to not feel the Force would be a blessing. What bothered him was the gut wrenching feeling that he had that the one behind all this wanted something more than him dead. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that it had to do with the children. He didn’t have long to wait to wonder everything for he walked in.

Draconis didn’t have to introduce himself again for Kirabaros needed no introduction of someone who betrayed his own kind. Exhausted, energy wise, Kirabaros gave him a bland look that revealed nothing much to the dismay of Draconis who expected fear or anger. Instead he was staring at a calm and serene man, much like a Jedi. When the thought crossed his mind, he smiled and gave a chuckle. He thought to himself, Still clinging your precious code of the Jedi order I see. A pity that it will not help you with what I am about to do to you.

Upon seeing him, Kirabaros let out a firm and soft, “Traitor.”

“Oh no my friend they have gone too far this is madness,” Draconis mocked him. He walked towards the table that restrained Kirabaros and gazed into his eyes with a pure hatred. His dark eyes glittered like black pools as he continued, “I see that you still cling to the Jedi principles though you are no more fit to be a Jedi than a coral lizard is to be a bird.”

Not intimidated by the glittering black pools of hatred, Kirabaros replied calmly, “At least I am more an Avalonian than you, traitor.”

Draconis held his temper. To be acknowledged as a traitor meant that he could lose face. It was a good thing that they were in the dead of space near Yavin so that Kirabaros could be incapacitated and not utter anything. He smiled a dangerous smile and replied, “Maybe you can make this easier one everyone if you tell me where they are.”

“Where who are?” Kirabaros asked. He knew whom Draconis was referring to but he’d be damned to the dark side before he’d say anything. For that, he was rewarded with a sharp pain that burned him from the inside out. Force Lightening. It’ll do that to you every time.

Draconis knew that Kirabaros would more likely play dumb. He was ready for it and sent a powerful Force lightening, fueled by his hatred. It gave him pleasure when he heard Kirabaros groan as it coursed through him. What he really wanted was for him to cry out in mercy. He said enticingly, “Make this easier on you. With the three of them, they could become very powerful and in turn can claim what many have tried but couldn’t have: power.”

Kirabaros was breathing a bit heavily before he replied, “A tempting offer for even the most willful person but knowing you, you would as soon as bend them to your will.”

It was a statement of fact or truth and one that had Draconis send another bolt of lightening at Kirabaros. He increased the intensity when Kirabaros refused to cry out but was satisfied that he was causing pain. “Your words mean nothing if you won’t cooperate.”

Kirabaros retreated into his world of pazaak and called to Atton or anyone to play a round. Settled in his mind he stared at Draconis and said, “Cooperation means that you torture and I tell. Unfortunately pazaak doesn’t work that way.”

“You think this is a game? Perhaps bringing in those you care about and torturing them in front of you will persuade you to see our point of view.” Draconis’ voice had an edge to it. He was clearly tired of the mental games that Kirabaros was throwing up.

“A river can flow in one direction but when stopped, it finds another path. Should it not work, fire can change it to fly,” Kirabaros responded. He had remembered the vision he had when Draconis spoke before him and he remembered the response he gave but that wasn’t now. He knew they would come which was why he said what he said. He knew that Draconis had no connection to the mysteries of the earth and sky having been brought up in nobility and lived by separation.

When Draconis heard that sentence, it became the straw that broke the dewback’s back. He threw all of his anger and hatred into this round of lightening and aimed it on Kirabaros. When Kirabaros finally cried out, he laughed.
 Diego Varen
12-07-2006, 1:48 AM
Good Chapter as always JM12 and I'm looking foward to more. It's a shame many people haven't reviewed your Fics/Diddies on KFM.
 igyman
12-07-2006, 1:42 PM
Oooh, very very nice, JM12. I'm glad you're back to being original and creative. Unlike the previous chapter that had a bunch of lines from the movies, the one I recognized in this one was a nice touch (Draconis' ''Oh no, my friend...'', or should I say, Dooku's?), which proves that it's all about moderation. The previous chapter, IMO, had way too many such quotes pronounced by your characters, which was the reason I didn't like it. This one was done very nicely and I hope your future chapters retain the same quality. :)
And as the finishing touch [Grammar Police mode] I noticed a spelling error - you wrote lightening, instead of lightning. The 'e' shouldn't be there, unless you were referring to some other Force power.[/Grammar Police mode]
 JediMaster12
12-07-2006, 3:22 PM
Glad you enjoyed it igyman. The last chapter was a set up for revelations and the like. I will say that Carth knows its the boys and we may see a glimpse of Lilah. Revan doesn't recognize the boys becaue they spend nearly every day with teh maiko and they got tanned and the like. Either that or she is too distraut to recognize her nephew. HK will come to the rescue Juhani has a secret though I am not sure if I should tell what it is, in the story or now. Hmm...I think I'll just torture Pottsie with the suspense and the unposted chapters falpping about his head.

My poems thread is in the Outer Rim board.
 JediMaster12
12-08-2006, 2:13 PM
Another Chappie for you folks. This one I thought would be a nice touch seeing as that it involves fuzzies though in deception. Anyway here it is.

Chapter 29
Revan jumped up and nearly knocked over the table that held the tea and cakes. If it hadn’t been for Mamesa’s sure hand, everything would have been overturned. Well versed in matters of etiquette, Revan begged apology and excused herself to the entryway to gaze out the window. Carth was going to follow her but something in Mamesa’s gaze told him that it wasn’t a good idea. He looked at the slender woman with rich dark hair arranged in a deceptively simple hairstyle and dark glittering eyes. Though she was a little pale, she conveyed the impression that her will was law, at least in her geisha house and the hamachi. Her stare made him want to squirm but he was reassured when her gentle voice broke in, “I know what she is feeling. Don’t worry. One of my younglings will attend to her.”

“A child?” Carth was dubious about it. He had been around Avalonians enough to know that wisdom can come from the strangest of places, even a young child. One look at Mamesa told him that she wasn’t kidding but he had to know.

“You of all people should know that help comes from all places,” Mamesa replied gently with a slight smile. She gracefully picked up the teapot and poured some more tea. When she was finished, she slid the cup towards Carth. With her hand, she motioned him to drink it.

Carth picked up the cup. It looked ridiculously small as the bottom rested on his palm and he held the side with his other hand. “You know who I am?” he asked.

“Of course. He told me that you were a good friend.” Mamesa took a sip from her cup.

Carth looked at her sitting on her heels, wondering how she could stand to sit that way for so long. He was unsure how to react at the news that Mamesa knew who he was and who Kirabaros was. He asked, “You know Kirabaros?”

Though her face didn’t show it, her voice held a sad note, “Yes. He helped me become who I am today. Tis a sad thing that his good name has to be tarnished.”

“I remember you now. You are that geima that performed at the festival months ago. Why are you here on Tatooine?” Carth changed the subject.

“We perform and we move. That is how we survive,” Mamesa replied. She took another sip of her tea and paused to breathe in the aroma the brewed leaves brought to her nose. She then asked, “Tell me, what brings you here? I doubt that it is the nostalgia of seeing a planet of sand again.”

Carth was silent. He turned his head to gaze at one of the sliding doors. It had a painting attached to it. It was an image of a green field with a river running through it. There were two birds and a phrase on it. Since it was in Avalonian, he couldn’t read it but he guessed that it had to do with the countryside. Just looking at it calmed him as he reverted his gaze to Mamesa and began, “Well…”

Revan was pacing in the entryway, avoiding the row of shoes and boots. She felt the pain. It sent tingles of energy through her blood and overloaded her nerves. What was worse was the screaming that accompanied it. She had heard the scream as if she had been there. What was worse was that she thought it was Carth. At that thought she felt shame because she thought about Carth instead of Kirabaros. After all he was the one who was suffering on her behalf. He suffered for her so that she may be able to enjoy her life. He never asked for a reward and yet she never gave it. She took him for granted at times and that only compounded to her shame.

She had stopped pacing and was looking out the window. The cloth used to protect the windows was thin enough to see through but all she could see was sand. The swirling winds were like her mind, twirling in a whirlwind, never blowing in a coherent direction. She failed to notice the tall boy that she had met earlier had come in and had seated himself on the platform that led to the main parlor. Instead, tears began to fall down her cheeks as she thought that this whole mess was her fault. She felt that she would never truly be able to atone for all that she had done. She let the tears fall in silence until a voice broke in, “Tears of sorrow feed another’s pleasure.”

Revan turned to find Shang-Li looking at her with a look of concern. His green eyes locked onto hers as his locks fell slightly into his eyes. He looked small just sitting there with his knees clutched to his chest in an outfit similar to what Mamesa wore when she saw her at the festival. His statement sounded familiar and she asked, “What did you say?”

“Tears of sorrow feed another’s pleasure. Sorrow can be another person’s pleasure,” Tulre shrugged his shoulders, “It’s a gentle way of saying that sorrow is a weakness. What are you thinking about?”

Revan gazed at the boy as she kneeled in front of him. She detected concern but nothing else. He wasn’t giving away anything else which made her wonder. She brushed this aside as she replied, “Something that I lost.”

“And you are close to that something?”

“Very. He’s a good friend of mine, like a brother,” Revan replied with a downward look, “An overly protective brother.”

With a sly grin that she didn’t see Tulre replied, “Like your husband?”

“How did…?” Revan looked at him surprised.

“You held hands when we came to the hamachi. There is also a tan line where your wedding ring used to be. His too.” Tulre added that last bit as a means of observation. He didn’t like lying to his Aunt Reva but Mamesa said that they had to remain a secret. He hid the guilty feeling of deception well as he watched his aunt’s reactions.

Revan thought that was astute for an observation. She liked the boy for he reminded her of Tulre. She wondered where he was now as she decided to indulge a bit, “You are clever like the person I lost. Would you like to hear it?”

Tulre nodded. It was the only way he could find out about his Dada. Marmar was more likely with Uncle Atton and Jedi Rowan so that wasn’t a biggie. He brushed his locks back and sighed as the stubborn ones popped back into place. He rested his head on his knees as Revan began to talk.

When she was told that her mother and papa were there, she wanted to run out and hug them both. She knew however that she had to keep up her pretense of being an Avalonian girl studying to be a geisha. Technically she was Avalonian since she was born there so she did have a legitimate geisha name, Serena. A strange thing to her but Mamesa said that it carried serenity wherever she would go for that was what she was. It would take her years to understand but for now she was content with the current explanation.

Here she was outside the door, peering through the crack to gaze at her father talking to Mamesa. Kimiko was behind her watching as well since they never got interesting visitors if it was important. If Tante caught them, they could be punished since they weren’t supposed to be doing this. She suppressed the urge to race in there and climb into her papa’s lap especially when he heard that her favorite uncle was in trouble. It reminded her of that dream that she had with Tulre and Morgan.

Almost as if she had spoken, Morgan appeared and asked to watch. So now there were three of them listening to the conversation until Kimiko had to go and bring in the cakes when Mamesa called through the door. At least Morgan could be happy that his papa was all right and was looking for him. Both were content to just be near those that were dear and familiar.

Mamesa had finished her tea and the pot was nearly empty. She was saddened that Kirabaros had been captured but she was confident that he would find a way out. She didn’t show this as Carth finished his commentary on the events that happened. Following protocol, she called in Avalonian for Kimiko to bring a tray of cakes. She then poured Carth some more tea and asked, “How do you intend to raise the necessary funds for the parts?”

“Lilah,” Carth used the identity the council gave Revan, “wanted to race in the swoop races. The problem is that we…don’t have a swoop bike.” He said that last bit in a dejected tone. He hadn’t wanted to gain Mamesa’s pity since geisha didn’t do things like that.

Mamesa regarded the Republic admiral before her and shrewdly guessed that he didn’t like to show weakness in front of anybody. Since the teapot was empty and Kimiko hadn’t come back, she called to Lilah to come. She hoped that maybe the father would recognize his daughter since he showed a slight sign of recognizing the boys. When Lilah came in and reached for the pot, Mamesa said, “There is one other option. Unfortunately it could reveal who Lilah truly is but it is something within everyone’s capabilities.”

Carth saw his daughter shuffle in quietly and lift the teapot to get more tea. He wanted nothing more than to pick her up and hug her but he held back. He knew the reason why she was there under Mamesa’s care and he wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize her safety. Instead he kept to the conversation and asked, “What are you proposing?”

Mamesa had seen the look that Carth gave when Lilah entered and was pleased with his reactions. Sometimes Republics tended to be too brash at times. The admiral in front of her seemed to have adopted the Avalonian reserve. She smiled slightly as she replied, “It involves a little bit of combat.”

“So he gave of himself so you could escape?” Tulre asked.

“Yes. Much like Bastila did eight years ago,” Revan replied. “That’s why I feel so bad.”

“He did what he did because you were important to him,” Tulre replied thoughtfully. “Love is a precious thing. It is always there no matter what.”

“What?” Revan asked, surprised for the second time since talking to him.

“Nothing. Just something that came to mind,” Tulre uttered the lie effortlessly. He knew that his Dada said that to anyone who cared to listen. He changed the subject, “So you are here now. What are you gonna do?”

“Well we need to acquire the parts necessary to fix our ship but Republic credits aren’t worth the price of Bantha fodder,” Revan answered. She was suspicious about that last comment and thought that the boy was trying to hide something. Her inquisitive nature urged her find out more about the boy but she curbed it in. Being too inquisitive got you nowhere with Avalonians unless you knew them well, in the family like way. They either considered and insult or led you in a roundabout way with their double talk until you got frustrated and left. She asked, “You know anything about swoop racing?”

“Fast and fun,” Tulre answered, “but okвsan says it’s not proper for a maiko.”

“Really?”

“Yeah but if you are looking to race, you’re not going to have any luck. There aren’t any for another month or so. There is the Shaak Ti coming up.”

Revan was going to ask what that was but was interrupted when Carth and Mamesa came. Tulre got quiet and bowed at Mamesa and disappeared quietly. Carth said to her, “We may have found a way.”
 Diego Varen
12-08-2006, 2:24 PM
Another good Chapter as always JM12 and I'm looking foward to more.
 igyman
12-08-2006, 2:32 PM
Very nice, JM12. (are my comments becoming boring, or what? :D) A calmer chapter, compared to the previous one.
 JediMaster12
12-08-2006, 2:52 PM
Not boring. It just shows that I have loyal readers. It's calmer because there nothing else to do in the middle of a sand storm. Besides, geisha are calm. They never show their true emotions. You can tell I read too much. The next chapter the isnults will fly and we may have a problem on our hands.

I just realized something. I realized that in one of my chapters I used a line from Jedi Outcast though it wasn't my intention. I swear my subconcious thoughts are taking over.
 JediMaster12
12-12-2006, 5:19 PM
Well the long wait is over and I have another chapter up. This chapter I decided to heat things up a bit and show why my main characters have left. There are also some familiar characters from Heart of the Guardian near the end of Book 2 and into Book 3 and a certain Jedi who looked after a certain little one. I did use a line that a certain Goldenrod uses to describe Master Luke. I hope this chapter sparks some interest besides Pottsie's lazy comments that I appreciate no matter what. :D

Chapter 30
“The Avalonians have deceived us and have conspired to usurp the justice system that has served our Republic for 15,000 years especially the Jedi Kirabaros.” Admiral Keegan said the name with a hint of distaste but it was not evident over the roars of the senators who shouted against him. He continued, “Even the Jedi have deceived us by keeping the whereabouts of Revan a secret. The biggest deception is that they told us that Revan had died in the Jedi Civil War.”

Senator Amstar felt as if a dead weight fell into her heart as she listened to the accusations against Revan, the Jedi, Kirabaros, her people, everything in connection to Avalon. It didn’t help that twice there was an assassination attempt on her life. The latest one seemed to have targeted the Jedi that was with her as well. She felt as if she were being slowly suffocated by the lies and accusations being hurled at her. It was deafening as she stood at her section listening to the cheers that the two Jedi be found and brought to trial. It was madness speaking. The perk of it was that the governor had arrived that day and was sitting in on the proceedings.

Keegan was pleased at the havoc he was creating. He was also surprised at how many systems distrusted the Avalonians in the first place. To him they were no better than the Jedi with their double talk, the play on words and all the verbal games. He was surprised when Draconis told him that it was said that the idea of the Jedi originated from that system. It explained why few persons could ever find it accurately. That was a nice piece of information that Draconis had used to fuel Keegan’s hate for the Jedi and especially Revan in particular since they did shelter her. It didn’t matter that they fought against a great evil that was ages old and defeated it so that it was weakened. They were liars, every last one of them. This was evident when he continued, “We have welcomed the Avalonians into the Republic with nothing but kindness and hospitality. How do they repay us? By harboring a fugitive and then lying to us about it.”

“This is outrage!” The voice came through the noise. It had been loud and clear and spoke of power behind it.

The poor chancellor, who refused to believe such lies spoke up, “Who may I ask is that speaking?”

Senator Amstar pressed the button to allow her section to move into the light. Before it reached there, she stepped back to let the person who said those words come forward. Lady Governor Mara Lightrunner stood tall and proud, not intimidated by the numerous senators nor the wretched Admiral that was addressing the Senate. She had only just arrived out of concern for her friend Kirabaros and because she wanted to see the situation for herself. She was saddened that Kirabaros’ idea to untie the Republic with Avalon was being ripped to shreds, worse than a boma devouring a cannock. She didn’t let that but her anger show as she spoke clearly, “I did and I am outraged that you dare imply that my people’s intentions are less than honorable.”

Keegan was rather taken aback by her sheer force of will but he didn’t back down. He replied, “Your people’s intentions have done nothing but deceive us.”

“We have done nothing of that sort. We have obeyed the laws of our sovereignty as they have been in place for over 20,000 years,” Lady Mara retorted, her voice in a calm steady tone.

“We respect that Lady Mara,” the Chancellor interceded diplomatically. “It is a general rule that the Republic respects all sovereignties, especially one that is a member of the Republic.” He gave a stern look at Keegan. He felt that it had been a mistake to let Admiral Keegan speak but he was supported by a senator. He wanted nothing more than to chuck him out but as a duty to his office, he had to let him have his say.

“Perhaps your laws are outdated.” Keegan faced off with Lady Mara. He had gotten the impression that Avalonians in general were not ones to back down so easily. He had a taste when Kirabaros stood up and spoke in session and Senator Amstar was impressive. This woman was different however. He wanted to see how far he could push her. He continued, “I can’t believe that a sovereign system that is held in such esteem as yours has a system of government where one can lie and get away with it.”

A senator’s voice rang out, “That is unacceptable!”

Keegan continued, “And here we are because of rumors that your Kirabaros made illicit deals and lied to this very body government about it.”

“Bring him to justice!”

“He knows where Revan is. She must pay!”

“Our laws do not encourage such a thing. We believe in giving refuge to any who are not of our world. Our word is our bond and we keep it,” Lady Mara countered. This admiral was getting under her skin. He was not at all like the one who was married to the sister of Kirabaros. This one was full of anger and hate.

“So it means keeping false pretenses that you are willing to cooperate?” Keegan questioned.

“Enough!” the Chancellor stated but not quick enough. He didn’t want to see Avalon sent off especially after all they had done for the Republic.

“For the last time, we did nothing of the sort,” Lady Mara replied. There was a dangerous icy tone to her voice. Anyone who knew her knew that she was close to an outright explosion or drop a bombshell and those were not pleasant. “From what I have seen, the Republic has deceived us. They have approached us in friendship and claim that they welcome us. Yet when we dare exercise that which is our law, we are called liars. It seems to me that it is the Republic who hath deceived us,” Lady Mara finished.

“Lady Mara, surely you realize that not all of us feel this way?” the Chancellor asked. He hoped that Lady Mara would see that there were some systems that believed the Avalonians. He knew that the senator from Ryloth was and avid supporter, especially after Jedi Kirabaros rescued him. He had never stopped hearing that story after that.

“I understand that and on behalf of the Avalonian system I thank you. It shows that there is still some chivalry within the Republic. Still, if this is how the majority of the Republic feels about us, we will have no choice but to stop all official commercial trade and support and cease to be a member of this Republic,” Lady Mara paused as the senators that supported them protested. She continued, “However we will not stop trade with those that supported us. We cannot be part of something that dares to accuse us of something that we have not been guilty of.”

“So you will break your word of a prosperous trade with the Republic all because you can’t stomach a few accusations?” Keegan scoffed at Lady Mara. He didn’t expect that Avalonians could concede like that. He was in for surprise when a few of those that supported him protested. They had prosperous trade with Avalon and if they pulled out, they would lose a huge chunk of their business.

“It wouldn’t matter when the one who offered friendship broke their word,” Lady Mara replied looking intently at Keegan. “If this is what our long negotiations have come to, then we have no business with the likes of you.”

“So you insult us?” a senator shouted.

“It is you who have insulted us!” Senator Amstar shouted. After Lady Mara’s declaration, she found her voice again. Deep down she knew that this was a disaster for Avalon. She could only hope that Kirabaros could find the one behind this and bring him to justice in front of the Senate.

“Senators, calm down please,” the Chancellor tried to calm everyone.

“Outrage! We will not stand this. Avalon will pay!” another senator shouted.

Keegan was inwardly pleased at the chaos. True that Lady Mara had stood up to him and the others, Avalon will suffer just as Draconis had planned and he will have his revenge on Revan.

Bastila had been watching the whole proceeding and sighed when Lady Mara declared her intentions. It was a terrible thing that it had come to this. Kirabaros had mentioned before he left that if it came to this, it would surely bring about another conflict, one that could cripple the Republic for generations. She knew that he never minced words and he never did his cryptic speak on important matters like that so she believed him. Now standing there, she was seeing what Kirabaros had hoped that Senator Amstar could prevent.

After that last exchange and demand for blood, though it wasn’t spoken, Bastila turned to return to the Jedi temple. She was met by one of the many Jedi and Bushida warriors that had arrived to Coruscant and the Republic in general. Jedi Karas was strong but had gentle eyes and gave the impression that he was more content sitting in a garden than sitting through proceedings. He had arrived just before Kirabaros left with the others to hide in the Outer Rim. She smiled at him and said, “Master Karas, it is good to see you.”

“It is good to see you Master Shan,” Karas gave Bastila the respect of her rank. It was propriety to address one of such rank as such. He continued, “I take it that what he said could happen has happened?”

Bastila knew that Avalonians did not speak of those that were in the business of protecting others. It was better to not mention names, almost a sort of protection. There was nothing she could said except, “Yes. I had hoped that it wouldn’t happen but…”

“You know as well as I that he is very accurate,” Karas interjected thoughtfully. His thoughts were on his friend. Kirabaros knew many things and he acted with deliberation, especially when it came to them. He had prepared Mamesa and now she had left Amshrey. He could only hope that Kirabaros truly knew what he was doing. For now he was content with a sort of blind obedience. He then said, “I am sure they are all right.”

“Well he is quite clever…for an Avalonian,” Bastila smiled as they walked out of the Senate rotunda.

“Cleverness is something that we…” Karas began.

“I know, not a trait you exemplify on Avalon. After spending two years with your people, I have picked up on some of the basics,” Bastila finished with a smile. Avalonians could joke but some things they took quite seriously. She asked, “What of Jedi Rand and his party?”

“Last seen near Ryloth. After that, no idea. I do know that the scoundrel will go after any lead to see Morgan,” Karas replied.

Bastila made no reply but hummed to herself. She then said, “Jolee has gone.”

“Huh. That’s odd. Any reason?” Karas asked as they stopped at the transport that would take them back to the Temple. There was no need to worry about the Governor and the senator. There were Jedi and Bushida warriors all over the place watching out for them. They were doing what they do best, stealth watch.

Bastila opened the door and got in. She waited until Karas got in and started the speeder to head back. She replied, “He gave me the usual, that he was an old man and that he could go wherever the hell he felt like going.’

Karas chuckled as he navigated the speeder, “That’s Jolee for you.”

“It’s not just Jolee. Juhani is missing as well and Mission was last seen near the hangar bay where transports for the Jedi are kept,” Bastila expressed a concern. She asked, “Is it something I don’t know about?”

“I know as much as you do Master Shan. He only told me so much and I gather he did the same with everyone,” Karas replied, hoping to placate her. “This is something where he has all the answers but he is not here to tell them. It’s how he plays dejarik.” That last bit was a feeble attempt at humor.

Bastila replied, “So this is another one of his ‘need to know’ policies? If that is the case then it is probably a good thing that everyone doesn’t know. Perhaps we should just do what he asked us to do.”

Karas looked at her with a slight suspicion. He knew that Bastila wasn’t one to let go if she had a tidbit of information. He said nothing as they headed to the landing zone near the Temple. He thought about the request that Kirabaros made to talk to Mamesa which he did willingly. He thought about the switch on board the transports that enabled the boys to be hidden for a week before the mess. He saw that it was a very elaborate plan. He surmised that some things hadn’t gone as planned yet Kirabaros had acted as if he knew it would happen all along. What goes on in your mind my friend?
 igyman
12-12-2006, 5:42 PM
I must say, I do enjoy these ''senate sessions'' chapters. You really know how to bring the atmosphere from a huge chamber full of senators to life. The chapter also had a great touch of mystery, which I really liked. Once again, very very nice.
 JediMaster12
12-12-2006, 6:43 PM
Thank you igyman. When I think about these scenes, I use the scene from TPM as a guide. I always imagine that it can get a bit passionate and a bit out of control. I also thought it would be a good idea to show that there are doubts about Kirabaros even though he is trusted by his friends. I hope you liked the reference to Jolee and his nature.
 Diego Varen
12-13-2006, 1:46 AM
Good Chapter as always JediMaster12 and I'm looking foward to more.
 CSI
12-13-2006, 2:24 AM
Good Chapter as always JediMaster12 and I'm looking forward to reading more. :D
 JediMaster12
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Have you read the whole thing CSI? Some of the chapters are funny, especially when I tortured RC and igyman over HK playing babysitter. The next chapter will be up as soon as I finish chapter 32.
 JediMaster12
12-13-2006, 6:34 PM
Here is another chapter. I finally finished 32 so now 31 can be posted. This is a prelude to the rescue coming up.

Chapter 31
Mission was excited and bored, if that were possible. After begging Jolee to be allowed to come and help rescue Kirabaros, she felt that she shouldn’t have. First they had to stop at Dantooine to fetch supplies and then they met up with HK on of all places, Kashyyyk. Big Z had been pleased to see them and had been saddened that Revan didn’t come there. He roared that his people would have protected them. Not just because of the life debt to Revan but of an understanding between him and Kirabaros that was hard to put into words.

On Kashyyyk, she practiced her slicing skills and other handy skills that Kirabaros had encouraged her to keep up. The unsuspecting victims were the doors to the ship that they had taken from the Jedi hangar bay. Juhani wasn’t much fun for she kept practicing with her lightsabers. HK was too…murderous to be around. Ever since she found out that Kirabaros had been able to restore his assassination protocols, she didn’t want to be caught in the same room as the crazy droid. She could seek out Jolee but he was securing supplies, mostly medical. It was as if he knew it would be bad.

She hated feeling left in the dark. She wanted to help but nobody was telling her anything. It didn’t occur to her that everyone who seemed to know something felt the same way. She had no way of knowing that everyone on that ship had only a piece of the puzzle. She didn’t have time to think for Jolee was coming back with Zalbaar to get ready to leave. She raced down the ramp to give Big Z a hug. “Nice to see ya again Big Z.”

[Nice to see you too Mission. I am sorry that I cannot go this time.]

“Don’t worry about it Big Z. We’ll find them both and you can give them a Wookiee hug,” Mission replied.

Jolee gave a chuckle at that. He said, “Well best be going. If HK activated the tracking device, we should be able to catch up with Kirabaros.”

[May Bacca guide you.] Zalbaar replied after getting Mission to relinquish her hold on him.

Mission let go and allowed Jolee to guide her back up the ramp of their ship. Once inside Jolee headed for the cockpit to begin take off. He passed by HK who uttered, “Statement: The signal is coming loud and clear. It seems that our target is located near the Yavin system.”

Jolee replied, “Fine, fine let’s get moving.”

Mission took her place in the co-pilot’s seat. Carth had been teaching her to fly and she needed practice. She couldn’t do it solo but at least she could be helping that matter. Juhani joined them in the cockpit and said in her soft purr, “All systems are go. I sent the message as you asked.”

The ship left the dock on Kashyyyk with a few jumps. This was commented on rather strongly by the young Twi’lek who insisted that an old man could not handle a ship blindfolded. This was met with comments to not talk back to elders and that kids had no respect for their elders nowadays. It was topped with a certain droid who cocked his Aratech sniper rifle and called out, “Ready!”

This was meant with desperate calls for the droid to stop what he was doing. Once into hyperspace, everyone calmed down. Each turned inwardly to what they were about to do. They kept their private thoughts to themselves as they discussed how their plan was going to work. Dangerous times were coming ahead and they had no clue that things were already bad at home.

The base was dank and it stank of aliens who looked like they hadn’t bathed in a month. The inhabitants were nothing but hired mercenaries and the recruited bounty hunters from the cantina, which was the entrance to the base. The mercs had drawn their weapons and were charging at the three racing through the base towards the exit tunnels. Michaela led the way with Rowan at her back. Covering their flanks was a bounty hunter named Kiera. Together, the three of them fought their way through the cantina. They had to make their way back to the ship and get ready for take off. Some where along the way, Atton got separated.

They had reached the main corridor of the base and were at the point of getting pinned down. Rowan was wielding a blaster and aiming at the mercs gathering at the door. Kiera was across the way picking off the mercs one by one with a deadly accuracy that could have only come from years of practice. Together, both were a formidable team in a fire fight. Meanwhile Michaela was trying to rig an explosive device. Though she didn’t look like it, she knew how to put together and set a detonation pack quicker than a trooper could draw his weapon. She had her husband to thank for that.

Kiera ducked behind her wall while she check her power charges. She glanced over and saw that Michaela, or Lethe, she couldn’t decide which, was whipping up the detonator. She called over, “Almost done?”

“Just about,” Michaela called back. It wasn’t easy with the occasional sparks coming down but she kept her calm. She had survived one of the bloodiest battles two years ago.

“We’re almost out of power,” Kiera said. She had no idea why she was with the them but she did know that they weren’t there for the job. She herself had misgivings about this big plan that played a lot of credits. Sure she’d kill people before, but only when necessary. She hated to do it. She had met the two of them in the cantina and they got to talking, well, she did. It was Michaela who convinced her to come with them. That was before the guy in charge had his cronies try to capture the handsome, cocky scoundrel at the pazaak tables. The two with her had no reason to step in unless they were friends. She had no time to think about it now that she had her blaster ready to go.

Michaela finished the last bit and locked the panel into place. She activated it and said, “Ready!”

Both Rowan and Kiera stood up and doubled their fire to provide cover. Michaela made a dash for Kiera and slid across the floor. Halfway there, she threw the device at the scoundrels stationed at their way out. She was stopped by the wall and pulled out her blaster though she was sorely tempted to pull out the lightsaber that she had built those many years ago. She had no time to change her mind as the explosion sounded and there were men and aliens moaning as they were hit by the blast. They didn’t wait for the dust to settle when they charged through the door out onto the docks. They were met with blaster fire from all sides as they made their way to the ship.

The darkened tunnels reminded him of the rooms he used to torture Jedi. It caused his lungs to want to seize up for he found it difficult to breathe when he thought about it. He was able to push it from his mind as he tried to make his way through the tunnels. He wasn’t sure how he got separated from the others but there was a lot of smoke from grenades and the general toss of bodies, had to banish the thought. The last thing Atton knew was that he was playing pazaak with a bounty hunter, a Duros he thought, and the next thing he knew he was being jostled by two big fellows who said that the boss wanted to see him. He had refused of course and that led to a fight in which Michaela and Rowan blew their cover to help him. They had to fight to get back to their ship in order to burn sky. Now here he was in some tunnel, maybe the sewer and he had to get out.

There was a strange feeling that hung about the air as Atton walked through the tunnels. The only comfort he had were images of his son that kept coming to mind. His thoughts strangely drifted to the brunette that had been talking to Michaela and Rowan. He had only caught a glimpse of her but she seemed familiar. It didn’t matter now. Instead he followed his instincts and trusted the Force to guide him. He walked until he found himself in a strange room. It overlooked the docks where they were and it put him ill at ease. I have a bad feeling about this, was all that ran through his mind.

The lights were dimmed. The only true source of light came from the lighted panels that indicated the function of them. He glanced around, looking for a way out when he heard a voice that was very familiar sound behind him, “It’s been a long time Boss though time has seen fit to make you into one of them.”

Atton turned slowly to face a man that he thought he wouldn’t ever see again. He replied, “It’s been a long time Falen.”

“I see you remember that part of me. Unfortunately that part died when you took me under you wing,” Jaqrand looked at Atton with mixed feelings of amusement and contempt.

“A past that I gave up…”

“Yes after that Jedi wench you killed. Well actually, the one I helped you to kill,” Jaqrand interrupted.

Atton winced when he heard that. It hurt when his dark past was brought up and even after all this time, he still had to work at suppressing it. He looked at Jaqrand who pulled out a large doubled bladed war blade. His hand instinctively wrapped around the hilt of his lightsaber. He then said, “I felt her die.”

Jaqrand snorted as he twirled his war blade in front of him. He retorted, “You are weak. You are just like them, a traitor.”

Atton just shook his head at Jaqrand. It was true that he had changed since his Jedi killing days. Darius opened him to something more than just running and hiding and it was Mira who opened his heart. He gazed at his former self in Jaqrand as the blade twirled before him. He said softly, “You went to a lot of trouble just to find me.”

“Actually I was hired to kill your Jedi friend but now that my client has him, I am in the process of building a force to attack the Avalonians. Since you are here, I can have the pleasure of killing you for betraying what you are,” Jaqrand smiled at Atton. His face then got deadly serious as he added, “Enough talk. Now it is time.”

Atton saw that he wasn’t going to get out of this with scoundrel’s luck. He recalled what Kirabaros once said about facing the past in order to move on. It went something like: “The past is what feeds the river to the future but you choose the river’s path.” It was one of those things that didn’t make sense until the right moment. Well, this is one of those moments, he thought to himself. He drew out his lightsaber, the one that he built after Mira died. It was made with parts of his old lightsaber with hers so he would have a piece of her. He ignited it to reveal an orange-yellow single blade in which he twirled into a stance that Kirabaros had been teaching him. He said, “Let’s do this.”

Jaqrand let out a sinister chuckle as he watched the traitor ignite his lightsaber. He was impressed that his former comrade could wield a weapon of the Jedi skillfully. Then again he had the opportunity to practice for some time now. He readied his war blade and then ran full charge at Atton and swung.

Kiera and Michaela had been able to hold off the mercs and bounty hunters while Rowan powered the ship. They used the automated guns of the ship as cover fire while they picked off the enemy. It was there that Michaela sensed it. Atton was somewhere nearby and he was not alone. She shouted over the noise, “Kiera, get on the ship.”

Kiera nodded and turned to run up the ramp. She headed towards the main hold while Michaela backed up the ramp, still firing her blaster. Once inside, she locked the hatch and shouted, “Rowan takeoff!” She then ran towards the cockpit. Once there, she could see the platform as it shrank while they were still being fired upon. She spoke to Rowan in Avalonian, “Stay low between the buildings. That’ll keep us off the sensors and we need to wait for Atton. He’s somewhere in there.”
 CSI
12-13-2006, 6:42 PM
Good chapter and I'm looking forward to more.

No, I haven't read the previous ones, it's too long...But don't worry--I'll read them.
 JediMaster12
12-14-2006, 1:30 AM
You sound a bit like Pottsie but I am glad that you like my style. You should read Heart of the Guardian, CSI. It gives a better background on certain things and some of my shorties give background on Atton and little Morgan and Revan and Lilah. That piece of work was my baby all the way.
 Diego Varen
12-14-2006, 1:42 AM
You sound a bit like Pottsie but I am glad that you like my style. You should read Heart of the Guardian, CSI. It gives a better background on certain things and some of my shorties give background on Atton and little Morgan and Revan and Lilah. That piece of work was my baby all the way.

I agree.
 igyman
12-14-2006, 3:39 AM
Nice work once again (duh). I didn't expect Jaqrand to know Atton, good plot twist.
 JediMaster12
12-15-2006, 3:04 PM
You forgot igyman that I made mention of recognition several times before. Of course Jaqrand would know Atton since Atton used to be his boss.

That face off with the detonator and the like, the scene setting and some of the dialogue come from my favorite movie Congo. It's that part where Kiera said that they were almost out of power.

Also did anyone notice that Kiera thought a certain scoundrel looked handsome? I can't say for sure but I think somethign may be happening there.
 JediMaster12
12-26-2006, 1:07 PM
Long at last, here is a new chapter for the holidays. This one is where HK makes a rescue with my favorite cryptic meatbag. My aplogies but I used a famous Jedi's quote from ANH and the scene is reminescent of the Leviathan.

Chapter 32
They say that pain is a physical reaction. It can burn, sting, and feel cold, a plethora of sensations. It is a result of an act that harms the body and from that comes healing. Pain indicates healing. A payment of pain for a reward of healing, which is the way of things. A good Bushida warrior knows this and strives to remain emotionless. To show emotion can be interpreted as a sign of weakness. Weakness could be exploited, can be used against you. That is why emotion and thoughts must be guarded. Thoughts are personal and can be violated, that is why you had to protect them.

He thought nothing of this as he drifted in and out through the pain. He struggled to open the door to see the light but they held fast. They were locked, as if telling him that he couldn’t until they were ready to open. A gentle song filled his ears, a soothing song. It was healing in mind and spirit. He then remembered that the body can heal if the mind and spirit are. The music reminded him of that and he submitted himself willingly to its effects. He felt himself floating through the air, as if he were on a cloud. A huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Then the doors to the light began to open, revealing the light.

Kirabaros awoke, aware of a pain in his neck and, well, everywhere else. He turned his head just in time to see Draconis withdraw a needle of some sort. He had a smile on his face, one of those dangerous ones that could mean something bad. Kirabaros said nothing but stared at Draconis. For his part, Draconis just smiled. He then spoke mockingly, “Feeling a bit under the weather? Well, what I just gave you will make it all right.” He then stood up and headed towards the door. He paused to say, “I hope you can tell a difference,” and chuckled menacingly as he left.

Kirabaros pondered at the last comment as he looked around. He found that he had been freed and he slowly sat up. He felt like he had been run through a power coupling for every movement brought about a tinge of pain. He brought his hand to rub his neck to find that the Force inhibitor had been removed. He hadn’t noticed its removal during his willing removal from it. He immediately grew suspicious of what Draconis had injected him with. He rubbed the tender spot and wondered what was the substance was that had been injected. He decided not to fuss over it until its effects were made known. Instead he settled down to meditate. He concentrated on centering himself and focusing.

Draconis was heading, with a big grin on his face, towards the bridge when his ship was violently shaken. The grin turned to a frown as he reached for his communicator and demanded what was going on. The response he got was not the one he wanted to hear. With a growl that matched an animal’s he took strong strides towards the bridge.

I’m getting too old for this, Jolee thought as he made his way with HK-47 through the cruiser. They had managed to sneak past the sensors of the cruiser and land in the hangar bay with the help of a stealth technology that the Avalonians installed on the ship he took. Mission was to prepare to take off and Juhani was to guard and make sure nothing happened to the ship. Mission, surprisingly didn’t put up a fight, which was a good thing since HK wanted to immediately start shooting at everything per his new subroutines. Jolee managed to curb them by explaining and demanding that the droid not make a lot of noise. They had gone through the decks towards the prison level, avoiding troopers so as not to set off alarms. When they reached the right wing, Jolee sent the signal to the Avalonian troops that were there to help and begin firing and distract attention.

Jolee watched as Draconis growled and headed towards the elevator to the bridge. Well I can say that those Avalonians surely know how to create a distraction. He breathed a sigh of relief as he beckoned HK to follow him down the hall. There were steel doors on both sides of the corridor, hiding their contents. Jolee stopped to puzzle out which one had him by sensing Kirabaros’ presence.

“Observation: The Handsome Meatbag appears to be in the cell 2187. He is stationary,” HK said while Jolee was reaching out.

“How do you know that you walking bucket of bolts?” Jolee grumbled. He was disturbed that he couldn’t sense Kirabaros through the Force and thought the same thing happened to him as it did to Darius.

“Statement: My photoreceptors were adjusted by some meatbag to pick up infrared signatures.” HK replied.

Jolee said nothing but suspected that Kirabaros may have done more than just ‘fix’ HK before this mess. Instead, he headed towards the cell to find that something was off behind the door. He opened it to find a bedraggled Kirabaros sitting in a cross legged position doing, of all things, meditation. He said nothing but walked in and stood in front of Kirabaros. Up close, he could see that the boy looked like he had been stuffed in an ion engine or something. It worried him as he stood there.

Kirabaros was aware of Jolee when he opened the door. He slowly opened his eyes to find Jolee standing in front of him with a worried expression. He gave a grin and said, “The Old Man came to rescue me.”

“Yes, yes. Jolee Bindo, the crazy old Jedi has come to rescue the foolish Kirabaros,” Jolee replied with a slight smile.

“Who’s the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?” Kirabaros replied standing up and wincing slightly. “In my case, I guess it’s the fool.”

Jolee didn’t miss the wince but didn’t call Kirabaros on it. The boy had enough problems already. Instead he said, “Well we busted you out. Now we need to get back to the hangar bay. Come on. I ain’t getting any younger.”

Kirabaros just smiled and made his way towards the door only to be stopped by HK thrusting his katana and lightsaber at him. The droid merely said, “Statement: These were in the security locker. A meatbag will surely pay for what they have done to you.”

“That’s won’t be necessary yet, HK,” Kirabaros replied, taking his weapons. He clipped them at their rightful places and rubbed his neck. He felt most peculiar but he didn’t say anything. Instead he reached out and reconnected with the Force again, feeling run like a warm current through him. He then looked at Jolee to lead the way out.

Jolee felt the sudden connection and realized that Kirabaros must have purposely have done that. He knew that something was off with the boy ever since he started retraining two years ago. This just merely confirmed it. He waited until Kirabaros was ready before leading the way back to the elevator that led to the hangar bay.

Draconis watched as the Avalonian fighters swooped in an out of range. They were toying with him and it annoyed him. He had recognized this particular squad. They were members of the original squad that Kirabaros had led before when he ventured to and from the Republic, the first in over a thousand years. They were mostly Republic soldiers who still obeyed the Republic but they had an annoying sense of loyalty to Kirabaros. Draconis pondered this as he sent his own men out to chase them down.

The fighters also had some additions of Avalonian fighters. They stayed just barely out of reach, only coming close enough to hit the cruiser. Draconis’ men met the challenge with their own fighters but were frustrated in that the fighters pulled feints left and right, thoroughly confusing them. Draconis’ men got frustrated and began to get careless. Some of them ended up getting blasted into space dust. Some of the Avalonians did as well but they had an objective in mind.

Draconis was thinking of the formations as he was watching. The answer hit him like a lightning bolt: they were going to rescue their Kirabaros. He told the captain to keep firing at the fighters and headed off the bridge. His men knew better than to ask questions and watching him silently leave. Once out of his men’s earshot, Draconis growled. The whole attack was orchestrated as a distraction for an escape. He headed towards the elevator. There was one place he was heading and that would be the hangar.

Mission had the ship ready to go. She had wanted to go but aside from Jolee, she was the only one who could successfully navigate a ship that size. She had Carth to thank for taking the time and teaching her. Even Kirabaros taught her a few things but it was mostly Carth. Her lekku twitched in agitation at the occasional shudder of the cruiser as she clenched the yoke. To ease her anxiousness, she recited parts of the Bushida code that she though sounded pretty. She even sang the song that Kirabaros sang back on Rakata Prime. It was better than yanking on the yoke or whatever. She wondered how Juhani was handling everything.

Juhani looked everything that the perfect and serene Jedi should be. It hid very well her state of anxiousness for she was concerned for Jolee and Kirabaros. Jolee had asked her to man the turrets just in case something should happen. She undertook her duty faithfully and obediently. She wondered how Jolee knew to appeal to the squadron that Kirabaros commanded and where to find them. She remembered when Jolee made the request of her.

Jolee had approached her before leaving the Wookiee village with a serious look on his face. Juhani recognized that face when they both had their premonition before Revan went into the temple. She gave her full attention when he said, “A word.”

It was there that Jolee explained that they would need help. He figured that it would be best to appeal to Kirabaros’ old squadron from the war two years ago. Since then, it grew from the original Republic soldiers to include some of the young Avalonians who flocked to Kirabaros’ leadership. As Jolee said, “Well, I’m too old to be conjuring up distractions. We need to use the squad to that for us.”

“Will it work Jolee?” Juhani couldn’t help but ask.

“I wish I knew lass. I wish I knew,” Jolee shook his head. He looked downtrodden and old when he said that.

Juhani saw it and said, “Then I’ll contact the lieutenant. They will help. They have a sense of loyalty to Kirabaros.”

“Well let’s hope so for I need to have a good talking to that boy when we do rescue him,” Jolee replied, enlightened by Juhani’s determined statement.

Juhani said nothing but merely nodded and went to contact the squad. She knew they would be training somewhere nearby. They may have had loyalty to the Republic but they were loyal to Kirabaros. It was just like Revan when she called the hundreds to the Mandalorian wars.

Juhani was broken out of this when Mission sounded over the comm, “Hey Cat Lady. Jolee just sent a message. They have Kirabaros and they are not alone.”

Juhani rolled her yellow eyes at Mission’s nickname for her and readied the turrets. If there were troopers, Jolee and the others would need a clear running field to the ramp. She swiveled the turrets towards the door that led into the ship and waited.

Kirabaros and Jolee knew that they couldn’t be hidden forever. The alarms went off just as they made it onto the deck where the docking bays were. Jolee wearily got out his lightsaber and Kirabaros pulled out his though he would have preferred a katana. HK in the meantime cocked his rifle and said, “Ready. Statement: I am most anxious to engage in some unadulterated violence.”

“You’ll get your chance HK,” Kirabaros responded.

When the door opened, there wasn’t anyone there so Kirabaros slunk forward up to the T-junction. He barely put his head around the corner when the blaster shots started firing. He ignited his lightsaber and began to deflect the bolts. HK came quickly up saying, “Combat mode active,” and commenced firing. Jolee wasn’t that far behind.

The ones firing were more of the Outcast Avalonians but they bore little or no resemblance to the graceful and lithe statures of Avalonians. Some were beginning to have a stench of death on them, made worse by the heat of the blaster fire. Kirabaros had on a sad face whenever he cut one of them down. He long held to the belief that anyone could be saved no matter what terrible things they have done. Still he had a job to do and that kept him going as he cut a swath through the Outcasts. He almost got gunned down when he stopped. Something was not right. He kept seeing death everywhere. Even glancing at Jolee it was there. HK saved him by taking out the would be assassin with a single shot to the torso. Jolee asked if something was wrong but Kirabaros shook his head and pressed on.

There was one door standing between them and the ship when Draconis appeared out of nowhere and said, “Going so soon?”

Kirabaros just stood there. He couldn’t tell if Draconis was him or…the image then changed to someone he thought was long gone. His eyes opened wider. He could see it clearly; the headdress of the eagle, the blood, the stench began to fill his nostrils. When Draconis spoke, it was a screech though. It was loud and painful to Kirabaros’ sensitive ears and he clutched the sides of his head, trying to block out the noise and dropped his lightsaber.

Jolee looked at Kirabaros who was suffering and quickly surmised that something had happened to Kirabaros. He grabbed onto the lad and tried to talk to him and shake him out of it but Kirabaros kept pushing him away. HK perceived it as an attack against Kirabaros and proceeded to shoot at Draconis who merely dodged or deflected the bolts. Draconis was amused at the scene before him and said, “I see that your ‘medication’ is working.”

Kirabaros, with his hands still on his ears, said in Avalonian, “Sangtahut! You will be judged for your crimes.” Draconis’ words had sounded like a harsh screeching but they were coherent enough.

Jolee hadn’t understood a word that Kirabaros said except for the word for ‘blood traitor.’ He assessed that Kirabaros was trying to maintain control but he could sense that he was faltering. He reached out through the Force, calling to Juhani.

“I won’t be judged,” Draconis replied also in Avalonian with a smile, “but you will. Everything that I have done was so as to disgrace you. You have brought chaos to our world. Our world lived as it should be, everyone and everything in their rightful place.”

“That was not our world,” Kirabaros retorted, grimacing because there was background noise that made it worse. He still saw the Blood King but he could tell that it was Draconis. “Freedom is an inherent right. Your kind denied others that.”

“No. They knew their place. Now that you are suffering I suppose I could tell you that my bounty hunters will wage war on Avalon and the Republic but make the two sides fight each other. The big showdown will be on Yavin IV.”

“They will see you for what you are,” Kirabaros was growing weary under the effects of the injected liquid.

“And who will tell them? You? I hardly think they will believe a deranged Avalonian.” Draconis let out a chuckle before saying, “Still, I do have to admit that you are a worthy adversary.”

“I suppose that you are going to try to kill him now that he is helpless,” Jolee interjected. He hadn’t understood what was being said but he got the gist of the conversation. He had his lightsaber clenched in his hand, ready to ignite it when Draconis laughed.

“Kill him? No he will suffer by watching you die,” and Draconis made a motion to direct lightning at Jolee only to by thrown against the bulkheads.

Behind from where Draconis was standing stood Juhani with her lightsaber in hand and a determined look upon her face. Jolee flashed her a smile and grabbed Kirabaros by the arm. It was awkward in that Kirabaros was still clutching his head. He was also mumbling something about fighters and explosions. Both Juhani and Jolee managed to drag Kirabaros to the ramp before Draconis got up. He turned to watch as Jolee pulled on a protesting Kirabaros and Juhani and HK were guarding the flank. Draconis let out a growl and began to charge. The blaster fire began rapidly coming from the auto guns, forcing him to retreat behind some crates.

Jolee and Juhani managed to pull Kirabaros completely on and seal the door. It was Juhani who shouted, “Go Mission!”

The ship lifted off without a hitch and began to blast its way out of the cruiser’s hangar bay. The ship was joined by the Avalonian and Republic fighters who had come to their aid. Mission dodged the blaster fire as best as she could and shouted, “Where do we go?”

Kirabaros heard it and muttered something to Juhani. She had to bend down low to hear him. After hearing what she said, she went to the navigation computer to help punch in the hyperspace coordinates. Meanwhile Jolee helped a swaying Kirabaros towards what served as a medbay on board. Kirabaros still had not let go of his ears for he still heard the noise. He started to struggle against Jolee with a surprising amount of strength that he had never before exhibited. It took all of Jolee’s strength to wrestle him down on the bed and plunge a sedative into the neck of Kirabaros. After what seemed like hours, Kirabaros dropped off into a drug induced sleep. Jolee finally let out a sigh and sat down on the chair next to the bed to take a breather. He looked at Kirabaros and noticed some scarring from lightning and the tattered appearance of his clothes confirmed it. He asked to the sleeping boy, “What did they do to you lad?”
 Diego Varen
12-26-2006, 1:12 PM
Good Chapter as always JM12 and don't worry about taking someone's lines from the films, I do it sometimes. Just try not to go overboard. Looking foward to more and also, a bit off-topic, but what size did you use for the font in your Sig?
 JediMaster12
12-26-2006, 1:28 PM
I know that Pottsie. I'm just giving credit where credit is due. Some of my touching scenes were inspired by other films.

As to the font that my fics are in, that is size 1. The quote from The Return of Kirabaros is just bold. That is why it appears larger. I have some other chapters ready so be on the lookout.
 igyman
12-26-2006, 1:40 PM
Wow. Great job, JM12. It was well worth the wait. I wonder what exactly did this apparition of the Blood King represent (I have some suspicions, but I'll wait for the rest of the story - no spoilers). :)
 JediMaster12
12-28-2006, 1:18 AM
igyman: I won't spoil anything but I will post another chapter for you guys. I will warn you that my later chapters may appear long and drawn out but I wasn't satisfied that I wrapped up everything and I needed some downtime somewhere.

Without further ado I give you...

Chapter 33
Mamesa was pleased with Revan. She had remembered her from the festival that she had performed in and knew that her interpretation was a correct one. Revan was strong despite her small frame and full of courage. She was also a woman. That much she had seen when Revan jumped up and went to the entryway to think. After that episode, she and Carth went to fetch her and bring her back for more tea. She saw that Revan was more composed as she explained about the Shaak Ti, “The Shaak Ti is an event that involves the skills of warriors. It is similar to the dueling rings that take place on the other Outer Rim worlds.”

“I have participated in the dueling ring before,” Revan stated.

Mamesa nodded and continued, “The Shaak Ti however is more than just the enormous prize given. It is about the honor of being considered the best of warriors.”

“What type of matches does this entail?” Carth asked.

Mamesa smiled. The man had every right to ask since his wife was willing to put her neck on the line. She answered, “They aren’t death matches, with the exception of battling the champion of the previous tournament. The match is declared over when one opponent pins the other in a position that can’t be countered. There is a high risk for injury.”

“It sounds as if you know all about it,” Revan said.

“Yes. The Shaak Ti was started by an Outcast Avalonian who was wrongfully exiled. The rules haven’t changed in over a thousand or so years. It started here in this settlement and I guess this year is an anniversary tournament,” Mamesa explained.

Tulre had entered with a tray to pick up what was left of the tea. He kneeled in the corner and waited until Mamesa would beckon him over. He knew about the Shaak Ti and wanted to participate but by standards, he was too young. He cocked his ear to listen to the conversation.

“That sounds like right up our alley,” Revan said. She looked at Carth with a question in her eyes. Satisfied with the answer he gave in return, she continued, “There are at least three of us that are good in melee combat.”

“That is good. I have some maiko who are willing as well,” Mamesa said.

Tulre decided to break Mamesa’s rule about not speaking until spoken to. He said rather quiet, “Have you seen the weapons that the bounty hunters use when they participate?”

Mamesa shot a look but Tulre’s head was turned down. She wasn’t going to scold him. This would be one time that she would bend the rules. She watched as Revan looked at the kneeling boy and replied, “I’ve seen that they handle war blades, some double blades. Very dangerous.”

“A katana can stand up to their power. I tried it,” Tulre replied, still not looking at the adults.

Revan looked thoughtful at the boy. She answered, “You must be studying hard to know that.”

“Of course. All maiko learn to wield a blade. They just use it in an artistic form,” Mamesa answered.

“Indeed. If we are to compete, we need blades,” Revan replied. She was still eyeing the boy thoughtfully.

She was rewarded with his answer, “I made some katanas. They’re out of the best metals ever. You could let me upgrade…”

Mamesa interrupted, “Shang, Joran won’t let you.”

“Joran doesn’t know that I make them okвsan. He doesn’t even know that I practice with the big boys.” Tulre then pointed at Revan and Carth, “You could make him think the blades are yours and get him to let me improve them for you.”

“I don’t know,” Revan began. True that they needed the blades. It would do them no good to have lightsabers. Jedi were not really welcome in that part of the galaxy.

“You should,” Mamesa gently replied. “I may have personal reasons against this but Shang can help you as well as Chiyo.” She then smiled at them and motioned for Tulre to take the tray away with the tea things. Once Tulre was away she then said, “In order for you to win, you have to practice. The Shaak Ti is in three days.”

Revan hid any apprehension at the thought that she, Dustil and Caelos would have three days to become a warrior. She then ticked off Caelos because he was already brought up as an Avalonian warrior. She smiled and nodded, saying, “That will be just fine,” and made to rise.

Mamesa rose as well. She said, “You may stay here in the okiya while the storm finishes out. Tante will show you your room.” With a slight bow, she opened the door and showed them out.

“That is great Mission. I’m glad the rescue was a success,” Caelos looked at the holo image of his friend. The transmission that had come through the storm was a report from Mission that Kirabaros had been found and rescued. Caelos noticed though that Mission wasn’t going into details but he didn’t call her on it. He figured that she didn’t know or that Kirabaros may be hurt and she couldn’t tell them how bad. He looked at the image of his friend and said, “I’ll be sure to tell them, especially her. Over and out.”

“Something is not right. I think Kirabaros may be hurt,” Dustil voiced, his hazel eyes clouded over.

“Maybe so but that is not for us to tell…yet,” Caelos replied.

“Does that give us the right to keep it from Revan?” Dustil asked with a bit of fire in his voice.

“Until we know more, it is not necessary. All it would cause is unnecessary panic,” Caelos replied with a calm expression.

“Are you asking me to lie to her? If you are, I cannot do that,” Dustil replied. His brown eyes were flashing indignantly as he crossed his arms.

Caelos looked thoughtfully at Dustil. He thought well of the young man and was proud that he had conquered his fear about using the Force. His face reflected none of this when he responded, “I know that you care about your stepmother. Whatever Kirabaros said to you two years ago seems to have made an impression.”

Dustil couldn’t help but stare back at Caelos. He had never told anyone about that conversation that he had with Kirabaros at the wedding. At first he was angry because he thought that Kirabaros had told but it quickly dissipated when he realized that Kirabaros wouldn’t do anything of the sort. He took a deep breath and replied, “Yes, it did. More so when Lilah was born.” His face started to flush a bit.

“I thought so. She is adorable,” Caelos said, merely echoing what everyone else said. He then changed the subject by saying, “Well, I’ve got to get to the hyper motivator and fix the short.” He then turned and went towards the engine room.

Dustil just stood and looked at Caelos retreating figure with a look of astonishment. The Avalonian mind was a complete mystery to him for he didn’t grasp how they could switch so easily from topic to the next. On top of that there is the double talk and the hidden meanings behind every spoken word. He wondered how his father put up with it. He shook his head with astonishment and turned to check the secondary systems when the transmission signal beeped. It indicated that it was coming from Amshrey.
 CSI
12-28-2006, 2:03 AM
:Woot:

Good chapters! I'm looking forward to more! And it's nice to see Dustil here, too.
 JediMaster12
12-28-2006, 2:29 AM
Yes of course. I felt it important to give him more of a role in this tale since he grew closer to Revan after Lilah was born. BTW I am working on a shortie concerning that but that's for another time.
CSI: Dustil is mentioned several times in the earlier chapters, especially when Tulre teases him. Glad you enjoyed it.
 Diego Varen
12-28-2006, 6:14 AM
Good Chapter as always JM12. Looking foward to more. Also, CSI, Dustil has been in this Fic a bit, since I swear I've read his name as I skip read.
 igyman
12-28-2006, 1:32 PM
Again a good chapter. I have absolutely nothing to complain about.
 JediMaster12
12-30-2006, 9:07 PM
igyman: Well that's good news. Glad you liked it. I admit that I found a block in which I was able to beat down but that is with Chapter 37. I had to rewrite part of the chapter because I have plans for some new characters.

For everyone: A new chapter for y'all and I hope you enjoy. It involves some action with my favorite scoundrel and later Michaela.

Chapter 34
The smoke was thick with the heat of the metal against the lightsaber as Atton fought to counteract the moves that Jaqrand made. The hate he felt from his former comrade was thick and he briefly wondered if this is what Kirabaros meant when it was so thick that you couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t ponder it for long for Jaqrand entered into a complicated move. It nearly startled Atton for he recognized it. He had taught it to his former comrade and he was able to counter it and then rolled clear of the strike that came after. He rolled to his feet just as Jaqrand chuckled and said, “I see that you haven’t lost it,” and struck again.

Atton replied as he countered, “It’s just an act.”

“Heh,” was Jaqrand’s response as he clashed his blades with Atton’s lightsaber. As they locked, he pushed Atton all the way into the wall, pleased that he made Atton groan. He then said, “You have remembered the old ways.”

Atton looked at Jaqrand in the eye. He returned the look of hatred with a brief one of sadness before giving Jaqrand a head butt. He replied, “That’s a little something new.”

Jaqrand stared at Atton with a burning hate. It masked his slight fear for he always knew that Atton was the better of the two. He had the distinct feeling that he couldn’t win but he thought that maybe that he could hit Atton where it would hurt the most. He then gave a menacing smile and then said, “Maybe so but what good is it if you can’t protect that which is precious to you?”

Atton knew better than to fall bait to that since Kirabaros never did anything halfway. He couldn’t help but wonder though if Jaqrand knew anything about his son. He carefully asked, “What are you talking about Falen?” and then swung to fend off the twirling war blades.

Jaqrand growled and swung using a complicated move that he had picked up from another bounty hunter who tried to steal his bounty. He growled, “That’s not my name!”

“I call it as I see it,” the scoundrel in Atton retorted.

“Right, and I’m sure that you know exactly what I am talking about,” Jaqrand retorted backing away a bit. “It would involve a little boy. I am sure that he would enjoy a life as a scoundrel,” Jaqrand looked at the end of his blade as if to inspect it, “or maybe you might not see him again.”

Atton came charging with his blade glowing.

Rowan guided the Ebon Hawk low through the platform with a precision that was a mark of a good pilot. Michaela was sitting in the copilot’s seat with her eyes closed. She was concentrating on finding Atton by concentrating through the Force. True that she wasn’t bonded to Atton like her husband was but her special talent was what Revan called ‘sniffing out the trail.’ It meant that she could recognize people through their different signatures made through the Force. Right now she was trying to help Rowan find the last member of their group. It was a lot of work trying to sort through the individual signatures.

To Michaela, the Force was one huge thread interwoven with smaller, individual threads. When she concentrated, she could see the individual strands. They ranged in color to white and varied in their brightness. She maintained that the brightness reflected the individual’s sensitivity to the Force. Now she had to find the one that was Atton’s.

She searched out the familiar traits that she knew Atton by. Though she hadn’t known him long, she felt confident that she could find him. The refugee signatures perplexed her because there was a sort of desperation about them but she forced herself to ignore them. She found what she was looking for and held on.

Rowan navigated through the platforms, letting Michaela do her thing. He concentrated on staying off the sensors of the bounty hunters. It wasn’t until he passed over a small tower that he heard Michaela say, “He’s there.”

He looked at her and asked, “Where?”

Michaela pointed at the tower and repeated, “There, and he’s not alone. Fly low and we’ll jump out to help.”

“Who’s going to fly the ship?” Rowan asked, forgetting that they had another person on board.

“Kiera will come with me. Circle about and fly low and wait for my signal,” Michaela answered sternly.

“Yes ma’am,” Rowan replied. When Michaela spoke like that, she was to be obeyed. He smirked to himself when he recalled at one point during the war when she bossed a whole unit of Bushida warriors into charging according to Kirabaros’ plan. He maneuvered towards the tower.

Atton was in trouble and he knew it. Jaqrand baited him and he fell for it. Morgan meant more to him than anything in the galaxy and his former comrade used it against him by threatening harm. He retaliated by lashing out in anger, something that Darius and Kirabaros had warned him against time and time again and now he was paying the price.

Jaqrand had knocked away his lightsaber and now he was scrambling to dodge the twirling war blades. He used the Force to allow him to jump out of reach until he was within range of his lightsaber. He reached out and it was in his hand. He barely moved out of the way before Jaqrand brought one end of the double blade down to the ground. There were some sparks where the blade struck the metal floor. Atton rolled to his feet and ignited his lightsaber. He looked at Jaqrand and said, “You always were clumsy in your footwork.”

Jaqrand responded by swinging furiously. His anger and hate fueled him and allowed him to swing faster and harder though it did nothing to benefit his accuracy. He always rankled when the traitor insulted him about his abilities. He wanted nothing better than to put that same traitor to shame. He swung in a wide arc and decided to add in a sneak attack.

Atton knew that he hit his mark when he commented on Falen’s footwork. He also knew that, if he were still the same, Falen would react with anger in his swings becoming more inaccurate as he went along. What he didn’t expect was the sneak move. He deflected the thrust of one blade but that left his left side open to the slice that Falen laid on him. It raked his ribs leaving a burning sensation and threw him off balance so that Falen could thrust the tip into his upper arm. In pain, Atton stepped backwards and ended up falling over some crates and hit the durasteel wall with a hard bang. He sat himself up and clenched his left arm with his right. The blood seeped through his fingers as it ran freely staining his ribbed jacket. He could do nothing but stare at Falen as he advanced with a menacing smile on his face.

Jaqrand looked at his fallen enemy and thought that he would finally get to kill a Jedi. He was briefly disappointed that it should be an old friend but he reasoned that the man was one of ‘them’ now, a traitor. He stood over Atton and looked at him and said, “Well, one thing is certain: you are no Jedi.” He made a motion to stab Atton with one end of his blade.

“Step away from him,” a strong voice sounded. It was followed by a wave that sent Jaqrand flying into the bulkhead.

Michaela had Kiera watching her back as they jumped off the ramp of the Ebon Hawk onto the tower. Rowan had dropped them off and stayed, telling them that it wouldn’t be long before the bounty hunters found them out. They hurried towards where Atton and Jaqrand were. It was there that Michaela saw Jaqrand standing over Atton getting ready to kill him with a single stab. She couldn’t let that happen so she stood up to him by saying, “Step away from him.”

He never saw her when she used the Force to send him flying into the bulkhead. Michaela then shouted at Kiera, “Get Atton and get out.” She withdrew her own lightsaber and said, “I’ll be just fine.”

Kiera made haste to obey. True that she had a healthy dose of independence in her, she sensed that this woman she was with was someone who, when it was necessary, expected to be obeyed. She ran to the fallen scoundrel with the dark hair and hazel eyes. She recognized him from the cantina and thought him quite handsome. She noticed that he was bleeding and managed to rip part of her shirt to tie on his arm. She then gave him a hand to stand up and pushed him towards the stairs that led to the roof only stopping to grab his lightsaber where it had fallen.

Meanwhile Michaela stood with her blade lit waiting while Jaqrand got to his feet. Her fine blue eyes were like ice as she watched him. It was the same look that she wore when she went to war two years ago. She regarded the man who was part of the events that caused so much grief with a sort of contempt mingled with curiosity.

Jaqrand eyed the woman warily as he gained his feet. He spoke, “You throw a nice punch. Then again I suppose all you Jedi do.” He had curled his lip at that last statement to reflect his dislike of Jedi.

Michaela said nothing but looked at him. It gave Jaqrand the courage to continue though he was slightly intimidated that she stood there. Her presence demanded obedience and he didn’t like it. He said, “So you wish to buy the traitor escape time. That I cannot allow.” He then twirled his blade and stood in a combat ready position.

Michaela responded by saluting with her blade and brought it to a ready position. Her face was calm, betraying nothing of her intentions. All she said was, “We’ll see.”

Jaqrand swung first. He aimed high, attempting to slice her in half. His blade was met amidst a shower of sparks as the woman’s blade clashed with his. He was amazed at the power that her defense held. He attacked with swings and parries, each more difficult and powerful than the last. Each time she met his attacks. In short, it seemed as if she were batting away a troublesome fly. He was getting frustrated with her. It was almost as if she could anticipate his every move.

Michaela defended against the moves that Jaqrand made. She was grateful that her husband and Naomi made sure that she knew how to use a blade. Tulre improved her technique while Kirabaros was gone though she shouldn’t have in her condition at the time. She admitted to herself that this man she was battling impressed her. She couldn’t help but wonder if he had a bit of Force sensitivity, just enough to be mistaken for sheer luck. She didn’t have much time to wonder for her adversary switched tactics, trying to catch her by surprise.

He swung at her in a wide arc. The blade came dangerously close to slicing into her shoulder but she was able to dodge it gracefully. She leaped out of reach and assumed a Bushida back step stance. It was then that she heard Rowan in her mind telling her that she was running out of time. The bounty hunters had spotted them and were moving to intercept. She looked at Jaqrand with a sweet smile and said. “Well, I guess we have to cut this short.”

“I don’t think so,” Jaqrand came at her. He fought with her hard and began to back her up into a corner. He paused to say, “I aim to kill me a Jedi and I’ll start with you,” and he raised his blade to strike.

With more force than she intended, Michaela shoved Jaqrand with a Force Wave. She watched as she sent him flying through the glass window. She went to the window and stared out. Somehow she knew this wasn’t over but she couldn’t dwell on this now. Instead she made her way back up towards the roof where Rowan had the ship waiting with the ramp lowered. She used the Force to leap up land on the ramp. Once she was inside, she told Rowan to burn sky and headed towards the med bay.

Atton wasn’t looking worse for the wear. The strange woman certainly knew her stuff when it came to basic first aid. She had him patched up and left him sitting on the bed to put his shirt back on while she went to check the weapons systems for Rowan. It was there that Michaela found him. His cheeks flushed a bit under her gaze but she wasn’t fazed by it at all. She just looked at him as if he had his shirt on and said nothing. He asked, “Something up?”

The corners of her mouth turned upward in a slight smile. She replied, “I thought you said that you were always careful.”

Atton’s only response was a sheepish grin.
Page: 3 of 5