Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Name Problems- Need Help with a Name? Ask Here

Page: 1 of 3
 igyman
08-12-2006, 8:44 AM
I wasn't sure if there was already a thread dealing with these issues, so I thought I'd start one myself.

Here's what this thread is about:
If you have trouble thinking of a name for one of your characters/spaceships/new species/new planets, or anything else in your fics, this is the place to go to. Since naming things has never been a problem for me I'm offering help on that matter to anyone who might need it and I also encourage any other forumite to join in and help if he/she can. :)

(P.S. Just a suggestion, but maybe this one should get a sticky)

Made it a sticky so people can ask ;) --JM12
 Diego Varen
08-12-2006, 8:45 AM
I have trouble with this too. This should definetly be stickied.

Sometimes I use this English to Latin Site (http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm) to help with strange words. This was how I got Malus, etc.
 RC-1162
08-12-2006, 11:42 AM
yes, i agree, this should be stickied.
The Doctor posted this link in another forum and i have found it very useful. all credits to him for unearthing the site, i'm just re-posting it.

here it is (http://www.20000-names.com/)
 HK-42
08-12-2006, 11:51 AM
i agree this should be stickied
 Hallucination
08-12-2006, 12:34 PM
One thing I do to help me get names is I butcher a word. For example, I couldn't think of a name for a WoW character so I took the word 'rainbow' ended up with Arkensile. If you know a second language (or if english isn't your first one) just translate a word and move some letters around or something like that. I hope this helps. :)
 igyman
08-12-2006, 2:39 PM
Wow, this thread might actually work. Some pretty useful advices and links, thanks people and keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

A small clarificatrion about the thread:
Even though this thread is also about posting advices on how to easily think of a name, my own approach is a little more direct - if anyone really has no ideas when it comes to names, he/she can ask for help here, maybe provide a small info about the thing he/she needs named and I'll personally (and I hope other forumites will too) put my little gray cells to work and make up a few names for it, then I'll post them here and all that's left is for the person that needed help to choose one of them. :)
 Jae Onasi
08-12-2006, 2:59 PM
I've got some random generator names that I'll edit in here later after I've gotten a badly needed nap.

I'm wondering if this should be combined with the Tips to a Good Fanfic thread/sticky. They're not exactly the same, but both help improve a fic. :)
 igyman
08-12-2006, 3:03 PM
Well, yes, but this primarily has a little more direct approach to solving the problem, besides the tips, just read my previous post and think about it. :)
 RC-1162
08-12-2006, 3:53 PM
@ Jae: although it does help improve your fic, the tips to a fanfic are about tips on writing and the way the story is captured. this thread helps more with name creation, one problem which i've always been having.
 Jae Onasi
08-12-2006, 7:15 PM
OK, I'll sticky it. I've also considered merging it with the Expert Forum thread, since people ask for help there. We can't have 85 million stickied threads :) but I think this topic will work in the sticky category.

As promised, random name generators, courtesy "What do you do for...Naming" thread over at KFM:
Star Wars Galaxies Random Name Generator (http://swg.stratics.com/content/gameplay/characters/randomname.php)--you) pick M/F, race, etc. and it'll generate names for you.
Behind the Name Random Name Generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/)--has) lots of different languages, too.
Seventh Sanctum Name Generators (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php)--plenty) of different fiction names--you can choose by genre as well.
The Star Wars Random Name Generator (http://www.dimfuture.net/starwars/random/generate.php)--name) says it all. It'll generate male, female, and gender neutral names.

Happy naming, folks!
 Diego Varen
08-12-2006, 7:17 PM
Great Name Sites Jae. I'll have to try them out sometime.
 igyman
08-12-2006, 7:28 PM
Those are some interesting generators Jae, thanks.
 JediAthos
08-12-2006, 8:23 PM
One of the reasons I stuck with planets that already had names in the fic I'm working on was so I didn't have to deal with this very issue :) Call me lazy..but I'm glad someone started the thread.
 JediKnight707
08-14-2006, 2:14 AM
Well, I just randomly type stuff. Sometimes, I'll press spellcheck and see what its got. And, if its got a better name for it, I'll change it. Like, I named a Sith Lord Rexet originally, but spellcheck recommended Rexes and I like that better :)
 Niner_777
08-14-2006, 3:15 PM
I've asked for help with this in my fic before. Most of the time I've already got a some names that I like. For naming some of the minor soldiers in my fic, I'm using a Mandalorian language site. I'll see if I can edit it in.

EDIT: Here's an okay site: http://home.sol.se/Mandalore/generalinfo/library/language.htm)

For example, I could name someone Trac, which means night sky. That's pretty cool.

Here's two more:

Kand- Noble
Pudii- Shadow
 machievelli
08-15-2006, 2:41 PM
I know how bad it can be sometimes. When I created my character for KOTOR I stuck with a part of what is real, and a part of George Lucas' world. So she became Danika Wordweaver.

However when she became Revan, I began creating part of Echani society, including naming conventions so Revan Chandar Bai Echani traslates as 'Revan of clan Chandar, of the planet Echana'.

For those reading the Return from Exile, The Handmaiden will take the name of Sokila (Redeemed) Devos bai Devos or The Redeemed of clan Devos of Her teacher Marai . She in otherwords foreswears her planet and clan to survive in her mind the ignomy of failing Atris and her sisters when Atris falls.
 RC-1162
08-18-2006, 7:08 PM
where exactly did you get the meanings for echani words?
 Hallucination
08-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Mach, do you know that the Handmaiden has a name in K2? Brianna
 machievelli
08-19-2006, 5:26 AM
where exactly did you get the meanings for echani words?

There is no dictionary of Echani, RC. When in doubt, make it up.

Mach, do you know that the Handmaiden has a in K2? Brianna

Are you sure? If so I have to thank you for the information.

mach, please refrain from double posting. Thanks. In your own fic threads it is allowable though.

I think I may be able to help you, as I did this myself initially when responding to multiple posters. What I do to reply to multiple posters posts is right-click on the 'quote/reply to this' link and open each of them in seperate tabs or windows and then use the copy and paste functions to combine them all into one post. I hope this helps. ;) -RH
 HK-42
08-22-2006, 7:32 PM
if this is allawed...I need some help thinking of a name for a second sun crusher from jedi academy triology:D click here for the sun crusher info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Crusher) also here (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Crusher)
 RC-1162
08-22-2006, 8:04 PM
Sil Triteradur

how about that one? :)

pronunciation:
Sil TREE-ter-ah-der

you can vary the pronunciation if you want.
 HK-42
08-22-2006, 9:21 PM
good put ill take out sil thanks:):D
 Jason Skywalker
09-11-2006, 1:27 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good Selkath name and female Twi'lek First Name. Any help apreciated!
 igyman
09-11-2006, 1:58 PM
Finally, a job for me, OK, here it goes.

Twi'Lek names:
Shaleena
Siil'ya
Kalya
Dianna
Vareene
Uulam
Gaanima
Raylene
Jel'nya
Ylomma

Selkath names:
Gossa
Lunka
Daalsar
Viileshak
Qulo
Klonsa
Halkesh
Sileesha
Grilkar
Baklos

and some Selkath last names if you need them:
Kwaas
Vosh
Chotis
Dolkas
Frakhesh

That's all I could think of for now. Pick any name you like and if none of them suits you, then I'll try to think of some other way I can help you. :)

(Oh, and inform us here what you chose)
 Jason Skywalker
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Igyman. I choosed Daalsar, Jel'nya and Kwaas.
 Diego Varen
09-16-2006, 5:58 PM
Hi all, I need a name for a male Jawa. I have an idea for a partnership of two traders, one a Jawa and another a Selkath. This partnership has been inspired by Only Fools and Horses. Please help. Thanks.
 RedHawke
09-17-2006, 1:50 AM
Hi all, I need a name for a male Jawa.
Qwenat
Utiinil
Neeva

There you go 3 Jawa names. :D
 Diego Varen
09-17-2006, 6:58 AM
Qwenat
Utiinil
Neeva

There you go 3 Jawa names. :D

Thanks RedHawke. I think I'll use Utiinil.
 Revan's blood
10-22-2006, 2:23 AM
I'm looking for a male Trandoshan name. He's a slaver, like Camahkkt (did I spell that right?), and ends up basically becoming a slave himself.
 The Doctor
10-22-2006, 8:50 AM
Dretknaat
Grakleth
Teshlek
Noktenk
 Revan's blood
10-22-2006, 5:52 PM
Thanks, Doctor, I'll use Teshlek!

Yay!

Dretknaat
Grakleth
Teshlek
Noktenk

Sorry I forgot to quote you... I am supposed to quote you, aren't I? Ah, whatever...
:)
 The Doctor
10-22-2006, 5:58 PM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

EDIT: It doesn't matter if you quote me or not.
 Anakin Skywalker
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I need a Jedi Human Male or Female's name, I don't care which.
 igyman
11-16-2006, 6:38 AM
Jedi Male

Jax Hallen
Valen Krey
Daleb Uldo
Joris Tann
Senaal Bracus

Jedi Female

Ryssa Gannon
Farah Notil
Genna Estral
Valeria Cronus
Irina Taal

Pick any one you like, or make your own combination from these names and last names, just post what you've chosen, so that we know when to stop posting suggestions. :)
 Anakin Skywalker
11-16-2006, 8:18 AM
Hey thanks I think I'll use Daleb Uldo and Valeria Taal
 Rabish Bini
12-06-2006, 3:24 AM
I could use a Darth name for the Exile in my fic. I was planning to use Darth Escrima, but I thought some of you guys could come up with something better. Any ideas?
 Sabretooth
12-06-2006, 4:04 AM
Male:

Darth Arriadar
Darth Covesant
Darth Tristechan (Tris-tek-un)
Darth Vallade (Val-ud)

Female:

Darth Cerseta
Darth Korrimna
Darth Ferraccia (Fer-ak-ia)/(Fer-ak-sia)
Darth Necria
Darth Tarconia

:)
 Rabish Bini
12-06-2006, 4:28 AM
Nice. I think i'll use Darth Arriadar.
 Kas'!m
12-06-2006, 6:48 PM
Need some names(about 20, maybe), both Jedi and Sith, that sound modern and Latin or Greek, or any other language. Thanks in advance.
 Rabish Bini
12-07-2006, 4:20 AM
Kevin Tashi
Joran Sala
Sylvia Zor
Danise Nash
Matgr Tumel

That's all i can come up with at the moment
 igyman
12-07-2006, 4:32 AM
I'm not sure how Latin, or Greek these are, but here goes:
Jedi
Mareus
Ganicles
Xeron
Valeria
Laurentia

Sith
Darth Hamon
Darth Jarmaan
Darth Archeus
Darth Baelog
Darth Lupus

That's all I could think of for now, feel free to combine the names any way you want (maybe use some Jedi names for the Sith and Sith for the Jedi, without the Darth title, of course). Anyway, just say if you need any more names, or if you don't post what you've chosen. :)
 Jae Onasi
12-07-2006, 4:05 PM
The only thing I'll point out with Darth Lupus is that Lupus is actually an auto-immune disease, though I know you're going for the wolf theme. :)
 igyman
12-07-2006, 4:14 PM
I was, but that desease-thing also sounds as a good reason for the name.
 Kas'!m
12-07-2006, 5:11 PM
I'm not sure how Latin, or Greek these are, but here goes:
Jedi
Mareus
Ganicles
Xeron
Valeria
Laurentia

Sith
Darth Hamon
Darth Jarmaan
Darth Archeus
Darth Baelog
Darth Lupus

That's all I could think of for now, feel free to combine the names any way you want (maybe use some Jedi names for the Sith and Sith for the Jedi, without the Darth title, of course). Anyway, just say if you need any more names, or if you don't post what you've chosen. :)
I'm using all of them.
 igyman
12-07-2006, 5:26 PM
Glad to have been of help. Just say, if you need any more. :)
 Kas'!m
12-07-2006, 5:28 PM
Well, some planet names would be nice. Just a few. Thanks.
 igyman
12-07-2006, 5:49 PM
Instead of making up new planets, I thought it better to post this link. It's the list of all planets in the Star Wars universe.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_planets)
 JediMaster12
12-07-2006, 5:56 PM
If you want a created planet, there is a whole system that I created called the Avalonian system. It is in the planet databank. The names involve a lot of mysticism behind them though the exceptions are Belos and Andorra.
 Kas'!m
12-26-2006, 2:35 PM
^^^Where's that?
 Diego Varen
12-26-2006, 3:57 PM
^^^Where's that?

Read this Thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=164348). To save you looking for it, I'll quote all of JM12's post.

Avalon

Avalon is the central planet in the Avalonian system of five planets. The five planets are Andorra, Belos, Mikkado, Atzlan and the newest being Amshrey which is closest to the Forbidden Stars.
Each of the planets have different environments.
Avalon is primarily a forest world with mountain ranges that create isolated pockets where the Jedi tend to live. Rivers dot the land and flow into the lake country areas. Animals range from small mammals to large predators like the straif cats.
Mikkado is a savannah like environment dotted with plains. There are a few rivers and lakes but primarily holds crystal caves that bear crystals of lightsaber quality. The ports are space ports. Animals are savannah inhabitants like the weaver birds, draigons, and elefants and a few straif cats.
Atzlan is primarily a water world. A vast ocean covers most of the planets surface separating two land masses. The people live on the land and underwater are a species of people that are simply known as the Water Dwellers. Mostly birds of all kinds are native to this world. Most land animals were imported in.
Belos is farming territory. The land is ringed with mountains, valleys and plains. Forest dots a few areas in between the larger cities. Mostly farmers live here but there are a few mines, traders and smiths of all trades here. Local wildlife are similar to that of Avalon.
Amshrey is a forest world dominated by huge redwood trees in which the native Shreyites make their homes in the trees. It was colonized by a Mandalorian and an Avalonian. Wildlife include weaver birds, terantek, wild stallions known as Ronin and predators that are only visible at night.

The people believe in a system called Bushida, or the way of the sword. It is a code of honor that encourages the balance between all life forms. Unlike other systems, honor is given to the female and is reflected by the secret Handmaiden tribes that dominate mostly Belos, Andorra and Avalon with the highest honor being of the Belosian Bushida Handmaidens. While deftly skilled in the art of swords, these women also under go the duty of doing the Force's will. The male equivalent of the handmaidens are often assigned to the elit warrior groups to train or guard the planet governor.
From birth, all Avalonians learn the delicate relationship between the people and animal. All learn to wield the sword, a katana, or some other weapon. Some stay in a tribe, others live in the cities and undertake the trade or politics and other jobs.
It is often said that the Force began with this system because so many of the people are Force sensitives and it cannot be mistaken for luck. There are many Jedi though the numbers aren't certain since they prefer the isolated areas to allow for meditation. It is also said that it is a system that cannot be found except by those you know where it is and have a sincere heart.

The biggest enemy are the Rashikians, Outcast Avalonians who strove to use their power to dominate and rule the galaxy. According to legend, the legendary Heart of the Guardian, Kirabaros, drove them out and so decimated their numbers that the Rashikians had never been in full force again for millenia.

Technology is advanced but considered a hindrance. It is more often used in terms of practicality like survey, transport and even a few blasters and rifles. Most combat is preferred hand to hand and melee and transport throughout individual planets is preferred by stallion, draigon, or whatever beast is available. Their greatest accomplisment are their fleet vessels. THe fighters alone are more sleek and have proven to outrun Republic fighters on occassion though the technological secrets have yet to be revealled. Food is actually grown on the planet, synthesizers are only used in the case of drought and famine. Hunting wildlife also provide nourishment and never more than what is necessary.

If you plan to use any of JM12's planets, remember to say that she made the planets up. Enjoy.
Page: 1 of 3