Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best Victory

Page: 1 of 1
 Thrawn3.14
07-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Feel free to post some of your best (single battle) victories against either AI or Human opponants.
 ImpElite
07-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Hmmmmmm, I guess my latest "Best Victory" is when I had a level 3 station against like 14 mixed fighters, 4 corellian corvettes, 3 Gunboats, a Mon Calimari Cruiser, The Sundered Heart, and Home One, and I won. :twogun:
 ImpElite
07-27-2006, 5:24 PM
Just got another one, three Victory Star Destroyers, two Tartan Patrol Cruisers, and like 4 Acclamator Cruisers against my level one station and I won :)
 Thrawn3.14
07-29-2006, 1:23 AM
Mine was during the campaign. The Fleet sent to capture Mon Calamari attacked Correllia. In Orbit I had 3 Assault Frigates, 3 Nebulon - B's, 1 Correllian Corvette, and a level Three Station. The Imperial Fleet had a Pop Cap of 50, and included around 10 ISD's.

By the end of the battle, I had only 1 Assault Frigate, and several squadrons of bombers. The entire Imperial Fleet was destroyed.
 Rust_Lord
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
How long did your battles go for? I wouldnt call it my best battle, because I think that would be where you overcame overwhelming odds, but certainly the longest was in a campaign where I think I was down to conquering the last rebel planet. The space battle took over an hour and I wasnt trying to drag it out; the rebs just kept bringing in more ships. I didnt lose a great deal but it sure was a grinding win.
 ImpElite
08-03-2006, 9:15 AM
How long did your battles go for? I wouldnt call it my best battle, because I think that would be where you overcame overwhelming odds, but certainly the longest was in a campaign where I think I was down to conquering the last rebel planet. The space battle took over an hour and I wasnt trying to drag it out; the rebs just kept bringing in more ships. I didnt lose a great deal but it sure was a grinding win.

hmmmm, prolly about 40 mins thereabouts.
 conmanguyler
08-03-2006, 2:53 PM
i had a cool battle, this was with a mod btw. it was me with an easy ai on the rebels agaisnt 2 hard imperial ai. the imps were overwhelming me with 5 ISDs and 3 VSDs and a couple of venator cruisers, they were heading to my space station when i manged to send 1 V- wing squadron in a do or die mission to the enemy base, all this time i had been saving reinforcements. then i unloaded all my reinforcements (5 venator cruisers and 4 ruscant cruisers) right on top of the space station...both sides were concentrating on the space stations and it was a race to blow it up first and i won! with 1 hardpoint left on my space station it was intense, luckily i had proton beams on my venator cruisers and managed to take down some hardpoints straight away.
 Valter
08-08-2006, 1:36 AM
By "best victory" do you mean most epic battle?

Well, one time (playing as the Imps) I was attacked while on Atzerri by an enormous Rebel fleet, unfortunatly my fleet which normally would be guarding the planet was occupied on Endor and I had only a level 2 space station, obviously I lost because of the barrage of missiles from their marauder cruisers. After the battle was over I quickly moved my fleet orbiting Endor to Atzerri to engage the enemy before they could land ground forces, I won the battle (pretty quickly too) thanks to my swift tartans wiping out all of their sluggish marauders before they could fire.

After the enemy fleet was decimated I returned to the galactic map to decide where to strike next just then another fleet engaged Atzerri! But...the enemy fleet was the ground forces sent to take Atzerri, There at least 25-30 transports in their fleet. I simply activated the interdicters and my tartans wiped them all out. I wiped out at least a 1/3 of the total enemy army with one swift move! THIS was my finest hour!
 ImpElite
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
By "best victory" do you mean most epic battle?

Well, one time (playing as the Imps) I was attacked while on Atzerri by an enormous Rebel fleet, unfortunatly my fleet which normally would be guarding the planet was occupied on Endor and I had only a level 2 space station, obviously I lost because of the barrage of missiles from their marauder cruisers. After the battle was over I quickly moved my fleet orbiting Endor to Atzerri to engage the enemy before they could land ground forces, I won the battle (pretty quickly too) thanks to my swift tartans wiping out all of their sluggish marauders before they could fire.

After the enemy fleet was decimated I returned to the galactic map to decide where to strike next just then another fleet engaged Atzerri! But...the enemy fleet was the ground forces sent to take Atzerri, There at least 25-30 transports in their fleet. I simply activated the interdicters and my tartans wiped them all out. I wiped out at least a 1/3 of the total enemy army with one swift move! THIS was my finest hour!

Lol, a similar scenario happened to me. Except they had like 50 transports and I was rebels and I obliterated the fleet a mili-second before they hyperspaced away. :)
 Valter
08-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I love that strategy! :) I pioneered this really cool strategy in galactic conquest you should try it out...

Sometimes I will purposly leave a level 1 space station undefended and let the enemy take the bait. I will have a hypervelocity gun ready for some destruction and if I lose the battle I will always have my main fleet consisting of 10-15 star destroyers, 10-15 victory cruisers, interdictors (these are important for this strategy) and tartans ready to defend my planet that is being attacked.

The planet that I let the rebels attack will always be near a planet with long range scanners so I can see where the rebels are sending their fleet then... it's time for the fun part of the strategy! :dev9:

As soon as my enemy sends ground forces to invade my planet I will send my fleet to the planet first (I always get there first because I have my fleet standing by on a hyperspace lane) and destroy the enemy space forces orbiting my planet, I will usually win because of my massive fleet and hypervelocity gun (for Mon Cals, or home one).

Now for the final phase, The enemy fleet has been destroyed and the battle is won...except for one detail, the ground forces that the rebels have sent are still heading for the planet and can't turn back! When the fleet of 25-30 transports arrives I activate the gravity well generators (anyone who says interdictors are useless have never used them correctly) and then I destroy the rebel transports.

While I'm sure I'm not the first person to use this strategy it's still fun to think I am. :)
 Thrawn3.14
08-16-2006, 8:00 PM
When I use that strategy, I immediately follow up with an offensive, taking any planets left undefended by the loss of their fleet.
 starwarsnerd
08-17-2006, 4:09 AM
mine probably when i decided to use tactics instead of my troops just running in and hoping for the best.I had 4 squads of stormtroopers an at-st and three at-at's.I surrounded their base so they couldnt escape and blew them away. (it took place on endor)
 wedge2211
08-18-2006, 10:48 PM
As the Empire, I once had the unenviable task of defending a wider front than the enemy had to--there was a large Rebel fleet concentrated at one planet in a hyperspace chokepoint, and I had perhaps three front-line planets in range that I needed to defend. I was pretty strapped for credits, so my defensive forces were only medium-sized when compared to the Rebel fleet. My front lines were not very defensible, so I made the decision to elimenate a lesser threat to one of the planets, and I took the risk of taking half of one world's garrison fleet and attacking a relatively undefended Rebel position.

Sure enough, the Rebels chose to assault the world I left practically unguarded. Their fleet consisted of Home One, a few Marauders, and innumerable Assault Frigates. Corvette-class vessels were conpicuously missing. My forces included a level 3 station, a Broadside cruiser, a couple VicStars and Acclamators, a few Tartan patrol cruisers, one TIE scout unit, and a Hypervelocity Cannon. I owe my victory to the TIE Scouts and the ground-based cannon.

The first thing I did was use the scouts to ping the immediate vicinity of Home One's radar signature, revealing the enemy fleet. I decided I would take immediate advantage of the lack of Rebel corvettes to try and knock out Home One, and hope that that would turn back the Rebels. I knew that I couldn't hold out against the number of Assault Frigates that they could bring to bear. So, after arraying my cruisers into a defensive perimeter across a gap between asteroid fields a short distance from my station, I immediately ordered a cannon strike on Home One, a diamond-boron missile barrage of Home One and the nearby ships, and I sent my bombers directly towards Ackbar's ship with a TIE fighter screen ahead of them.

The Rebel Marauder Cruiser began setting up for a barrage on my station. I knew that while it remained at standoff range, it could flatten my station with impunity. So I ordered all my TIE fighters to engage it, and sent my garrison Tartan around the asteroids to intercept it. Those forces managed to avoid engaging with any of the other Rebel ships, and my bid to destroy the cruiser succeeded--but not before the Marauder got off one full missile barrage that took a lot of shields and hull points from my perimeter cruisers.

Meanwhile, the Hypervelocity Cannon strike had left Home One with a lot of damaged hardpoints. My missile barrage did a good job of stripping its shields, and when the bombers finally arrived, I had them blow away the Calamari's main engines before they were taken down by X-Wings. My TIE fighters were too crippled from their run on the Marauder to contribute to covering the bombers, and at this point, my first wave of fighters was basically expended. But I had Home One crippled and unable to get within range of my station or my perimeter defenses!

Right about at this time, the first wave of Rebel Assault Frigates engaged my Destroyers. I managed to keep them off the station at first, but there were enough that one or two could make a run straight by the defenders and begin firing on the station. Only moments before, I had diverted my second wave of bombers to attack Home One's shield generator, so they were unavailable to help with defense of the station. I tried to focus the station's fire on the Assault Frigates, but to little effect.

After an agonizing wait, the Hypervelocity Cannon came on-line again. Still reasoning that the loss of their flagship might spook the Rebels, I fired on Home One, taking out the weapons banks facing my station. After another few bomber runs, it only had a few damaged ion cannons--but I had no forces to attack it with. I figured that it was crippled enough, and I turned my attention to the frigates that were now harasing my station. A moment later, I saw another barrage of enemy missiles fly in--more Marauders had appeared. Sending newly deployed bombers to engage the frigates nearest my station, I again dispatched TIEs and Tartans to attack the missile cruisers. Fortunately, those units immediately distracted the cruisers from my main defensive ships.

I began to focus my firepower on those Assault Frigates closest to my station. As they made their passes, I fired on their engines, trying to limit their maneuverability before they could reorient themselves for another run. The Hypervelocity Cannon fired twice more, both times on frigates. The Rebels, for their part, blew away space station hardpoint after space station hardpoint. My defensive ships began to lose their combat ability, and I tried to move them away from the main engagement as they were eaten away in an attempt to draw the frigates from the station--a failed attempt. Home One languished at the periphery of the main battle, trying to limp within weapons range of the station.

However, two things then happened in quick succession: my Tartan/TIE group blew the last of the Marauders from the sky, and I fired a fatal Hypervelocity Cannon blast at Home One, which had meadered into weapons range. Seconds later, my bombers (which were dogging a frigate) took out their target's engines. All at once the Rebels had suffered too many losses for their commander to stomach, and they called a retreat. I did a bit of damage to their frigates, but many of them got away.

I hadn't lost a single ship, though none of them remained fully spaceworthy. The Rebels were sitting on a fleet of Assault Frigates in their reinforcement queue, but they were apparently so disheartened by the loss of Home One that they would rather pull out quickly than deploy the rest of their fleet. I let them go, not having an Interdictor cruiser handy. The whole battle lasted for a very frenzied two minutes or so, and left me breathing a huge sigh of relief afterward!
 Valter
08-18-2006, 11:39 PM
You said you owed your victory to the tie scouts and Hypervelocity canon. I understand the Hypervelocity canon, but why do you owe your victory to the Tie scouts?
 wedge2211
08-19-2006, 11:41 AM
'Cause of that initial sensor ping! That's basically what allowed me to set up my initial assault, taking out the Marauders and starting my attack on Home One before it got into weapons range. With those scouts, I could ping Home One and fire the ground cannon at any time without having to disengage a ship from combat and risking it on recon duty.
 Valter
08-19-2006, 12:57 PM
That makes sense. Ironic in way because most people think of Tie scouts as useless units. I usually use them to find enemy marauder cruisers hiding in the asteroid fields.
Page: 1 of 1