Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

-DK-'s WIP thread.

Page: 5 of 5
 Dak Drexl
08-06-2010, 6:13 PM
 Kainzorus Prime
08-06-2010, 6:39 PM
would it be possible to import one of the clone trooper models into max, then import the death animations from the superset (IIRC)? Then you could play the death animation through to the end (body bag), delete the bones and helpers (etc) leaving the mesh, then export as an item. It was just an idea, but I don't know if it would work.

I sent the idea to DeadMan, we'll see how it goes.
 Zhaboka
08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
It would be thrilling to see dead clones on the ground. Not to be morbid, but... yeah. Thrilling. Haha.

I think I might have already asked this, but do you plan to convert every solider voice-over for the helmet effect?
 Kainzorus Prime
08-09-2010, 2:52 PM
Update, new Clothes for Carth using Haps' Imperial Officer body, and a peak at my next project alongside that.

http://a.imageshack.us/img230/9878/imps.th.jpg) (http://img230.imageshack.us/i/imps.jpg/)
 Kainzorus Prime
08-10-2010, 3:24 PM
Zhab-jab up there intrigued me into dabbling voiceovers, so I did a test using first Manaan clone you meet outside docking bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzSJ5zgELY)

I've attempted to make the static and pitch to match Stormtroopers and Sith Troopers.
 Holty1-5
08-10-2010, 3:28 PM
Looks Very good.
I Noticed a bit of clipping issues between the arm and the neck thing :p But thats Minor compared to the awesome model and skin :D
 N-5/Prudii
08-10-2010, 3:40 PM
Very nice job! the only thing I don't like is that buzzing in the background, but that probably isn't your fault.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-10-2010, 3:51 PM
That's the mic static fraps recorded, for whatever reason. It doesn't appear during actual game or dialogue.
 Rinku
08-10-2010, 6:01 PM
Looks and sounds very good!
 Dak Drexl
08-10-2010, 7:03 PM
As everyone is saying, it looks and sounds awesome but I have a question.

Are you giving the Sith officers the Imperial Officer clothing as well as Carth? I just don't think that makes very much sense - or are you just testing the skins out on them?
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 2:11 AM
It was just a skin I kept in override before the model was converted. They'll only have Imperial uniforms in my next project.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 2:15 PM
Update, finished Delta Squad.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/194/deltas.th.jpg) (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/deltas.jpg/)

I've tweaked the colors to match the originals more closely.

Now all that's left are voiceover edits and some tweaks to Carth's uniform, and it'll be good to go.

Once again, any willing testers, for K1 version for now, apply here. I have zero confidence in my tsl patcher configs after first version, so I'll rely on you guys to report any bugs.
 N-5/Prudii
08-11-2010, 2:17 PM
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 2:32 PM
I'd preffer going with canonical Clone Wars outfits, which admittedly didn't differ much from Imperial ones.

Also, why does that uniform have Separatist logo, that'd be silly on Republic character.
 N-5/Prudii
08-11-2010, 2:35 PM
No, not for the clones, I was thinking for the Sith on Manaan...
 Zhaboka
08-11-2010, 3:11 PM
VOs sound awesome, but if you REALLY want to spend a lot of time, I'd give each one a gain boost of a few decibels. But they sound great as-is.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 3:37 PM
Yeah, I guess they're a little quiet. Giving them a 2.00 boost seems to be evening it to the same level as originals.
 Laar_Dha
08-11-2010, 4:34 PM
:thmbup1:Your Delta squad looks awesome. I love those guys. I'd be glad to test the K1 version; just getting ready to do a clean install of KOTOR on my pc.

(If you'd like, I could also tweak an installation for the Mac OS version. My Macs are feeling neglected.)
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 4:38 PM
Fine by me, you're in. I'll get you the installer after I have everything assembled together.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-12-2010, 2:08 PM
Update.

DeadMan comes through again with assistance, this time in the form of scripts that replaced the Republic corpses with Clones.

http://a.imageshack.us/img52/6894/corpses.th.jpg) (http://img52.imageshack.us/i/corpses.jpg/)
 Zhaboka
08-12-2010, 9:39 PM
YESSSS!!!!!!!!
 Kainzorus Prime
08-14-2010, 5:14 AM
There appear to be some problems with edited sound files. In your typical cutscene dialogue they work fine, but not during the pop-up responses from random npcs, like the clone going 'Greetings Master Jedi etc etc' near republic embassy on Manaan. Those remain silent for some reason. Suggestions?
 bryzz
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
replacing the republic corpses with clones - is that in both games or just K2??
 Qui-Gon Glenn
08-14-2010, 11:23 AM
There appear to be some problems with edited sound files. In your typical cutscene dialogue they work fine, but not during the pop-up responses from random npcs, like the clone going 'Greetings Master Jedi etc etc' near republic embassy on Manaan. Those remain silent for some reason. Suggestions?

I would recommend mining BOS:SR source files. silveredge9 had good success incorporating ambient dialog in his expanded korriban modules (including some very amateur work of my own). Some of those modules were custom, but the trigger and scripting should be about the same.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-26-2010, 8:47 AM
replacing the republic corpses with clones - is that in both games or just K2??

For K1 too.

And I'll check out the BoS files.

In the meantime, as is my custom, another side project, and once again with DeadMan's assistance. I believe you all will know what this is about.

http://a.imageshack.us/img841/5007/21719662.th.jpg) (http://img841.imageshack.us/i/21719662.jpg/)
 reivzje
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
 Darth Crados
08-26-2010, 2:57 PM
For K1 too.

And I'll check out the BoS files.

In the meantime, as is my custom, another side project, and once again with DeadMan's assistance. I believe you all will know what this is about.

http://a.imageshack.us/img841/5007/21719662.th.jpg) (http://img841.imageshack.us/i/21719662.jpg/)

Very nice indeed :thmbup1:. What are those metal things on his chest and back supposed to be btw?
 TriggerGod
08-26-2010, 6:01 PM
Very nice indeed :thmbup1:. What are those metal things on his chest and back supposed to be btw?

I believe hes trying to recreate the Darth Sion costume from The Force Unleashed.

@-S-: I recently collected a series of screenshots of the TFU Sion from various angles, would you like me to share them with you?
 Kainzorus Prime
08-27-2010, 3:34 AM
While I do have TFU installed, any new references are welcome.
 Kainzorus Prime
08-28-2010, 3:09 PM
 Dak Drexl
08-28-2010, 3:54 PM
Looks basically perfect so far. Are you planning on attempting to add the cool little shoulder pad thingy?
 Kainzorus Prime
08-28-2010, 4:06 PM
If DeadMan's willing to edit the model that way, sure. He's still working on front/back flaps for the hips at the moment though.
 Laar_Dha
08-28-2010, 5:31 PM
Wow. The face is really really creepy. Impressive work.
 Kainzorus Prime
09-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Latest and probably last addition to the clone pack, Episode 2 variants.

http://a.imageshack.us/img195/2369/34389476.th.jpg) (http://img195.imageshack.us/i/34389476.jpg/)
 Kainzorus Prime
09-08-2010, 1:56 PM
Model-wise, Sion is done. All that remains is the texturing.

http://a.imageshack.us/img840/8746/sion.th.jpg) (http://img840.imageshack.us/i/sion.jpg/)
 redrob41
09-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Awesome model work! :D

Hey Deadman, how is it that you are able to add polygons to animated models, and get them to work in-game without exploding? Are you able to do it to head models as well? Could you write up a tutorial?
 Triple-Eight
09-09-2010, 11:28 AM

http://a.imageshack.us/img840/8746/sion.th.jpg) (http://img840.imageshack.us/i/sion.jpg/)

It is possible to extract textures from the force unleashed - ultimate sith edition (PC Version).
Try to extract the Darth Sion textures from the game and transferred it to your fantastic Model.
http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=765)

Sorry for my bad english.
 Drewton
09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Woah, that is awesome. Much, much better than my attempt. How'd you edit the model?
 Lord of Hunger
09-09-2010, 4:59 PM
Awesome stuff, DK! Sion now looks intimidating, which is a very nice change! Good work!

It is possible to extract textures from the force unleashed - ultimate sith edition (PC Version).
Try to extract the Darth Sion textures from the game and transferred it to your fantastic Model.
http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=765)

Sorry for my bad english.
Hey Triple-Eight. Just to let you know, what you are suggesting is porting. Unfortunately due to LucasArts and their EULA, that's not allowed (even with another LucasArts game).
 Kainzorus Prime
09-09-2010, 5:42 PM
Since my new texture is photosourced from TFU screens, I see no need for porting actual textures over to K2. It would be the same thing, but my way is legal.
 Darth DeadMan
09-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey Deadman, how is it that you are able to add polygons to animated models, and get them to work in-game without exploding? Are you able to do it to head models as well? Could you write up a tutorial?
Didn't tried this method for heads yet. Will experiment when I'll return to work on my Anakin skin.

About adding new skinmeshes. That's a little tricky. I did it this way:
First of all, I've taken MDLOps 0.6a1 to decompile original Sion model and jedi robe model. Then used notepad to import robe bones and geometry to Sions' ascii model. After that I've edited model in gMax: modeled pauldron from scratch; remodeled jedi robe geometry to make separate flaps, reweighted them and exported.
Now comes the tricky part. We all know that to compile model we need original *.mdl and *.mdx in same folder with our edited ascii-model. Well, I did not used Sions' model, but taken S_Female02 supermodel instead (but I renamed supermodel files to N_DarthSion). After this manipulations MDLOps 0.6a1 compiled model without any problems and model work just fine in game.
There are still some things that I don't completely understand - for example, it looks like model will be badly deformed if you name your new skinmeshes with names which are not used in original KotOR models. In my first attempts, I've named back flap just like 'backflap' and model turned into a monster, BUT when I've changed name to 'robe_geo' it worked just fine.

I don't think I'll write a better tutorial - it's just too difficult for me to descibe such things in English. Sorry.
 Kainzorus Prime
10-15-2010, 1:25 PM
Right, I need help with TSL Patcher now.

People are reporting that after installation, the armor models don't match the items. It seems it's because the uti files don't match the appearance.2da entries correctly. Now, I let the patcher do the comparison between clean appearance.2da and modified one to make the changes during installation, but I haven't included the modified 2da itself in the mod.

Was that an error? How to resolve the issue of disguises not matching up properly with items? Any help is welcome.
 Seikan
10-15-2010, 1:52 PM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2168405&postcount=201)

Read this topic, it explain how to made the head match the appearance, I guess you know how to do it. Then once you know about it:

Well it's almost the same but applied to the items, you have to use the "compare" button as with the appearance 2da, but with your item having for example "disguise property: Darth Nihilus" compared with your item exactly the same but with "disguise poperty: Darth Sion".
Now, the only difference being the chosen appearance, you will have it as the change, so you have to replace the change into "Darth Sion" into "2DAMEMORYX" being the appearance that you want. (Like when you put a "2DAMEMORYX" being a head into the appearance).
 redrob41
10-15-2010, 1:58 PM
I've just taken a quick look at your changes.ini file (I'm not on my modding computer, so Notepad is all I have ATM). It looks like you're set up so that the appearance.2da file should be updated with all (30?) of the new trooper appearances. But, it looks like you are just copying the armor.uti files into the override directory, rather than modifying them. The .uti files will look for the row number of the appearance.2da file (rather than the text of the label). The label name is what is displayed in Kotor Tool, but the row number is important.

I think you'll have to set up the armor uti files so that they get edited by the Patcher (GFF edit?). I'll try and post more when I'm on the right computer.
 Kainzorus Prime
10-15-2010, 2:07 PM
I've just taken a quick look at your changes.ini file (I'm not on my modding computer, so Notepad is all I have ATM). It looks like you're set up so that the appearance.2da file should be updated with all (30?) of the new trooper appearances. But, it looks like you are just copying the armor.uti files into the override directory, rather than modifying them. The .uti files will look for the row number of the appearance.2da file (rather than the text of the label). The label name is what is displayed in Kotor Tool, but the row number is important.

I think you'll have to set up the armor uti files so that they get edited by the Patcher (GFF edit?). I'll try and post more when I'm on the right computer.

There are 30 different appearances, that's correct. You seem to understand the problem, and I'd like an explanation how to edit the uti files to look for the labels rather than row numbers, as this is exactly the issue.
 Seikan
10-15-2010, 2:34 PM
That's what I explain on my previous post °°

You have to make like the installation of a new appearance with a new head, just that you do as if the appearance was your head, and the item the appearance. And if you don't know how to made it with the appearance there is the link i posted just before.

(I made it with my last mod, so I know what i'm talking about x) If you still have problems I can try to explain it better )
 redrob41
10-15-2010, 6:10 PM
I'm still on a computer that doesn't have Kotor Tool or TSLpatcher tools, so all I've got to go by is text. Here goes ...

In the TSLPatcher download, there should be a ReadMe, really.pdf that includes all the instructions. On page 13 (point 3.4) are the instructions that I use to alter .uti and .utc files that need a line from the appearance.2da. Here it is:
3.4. GFF Files
GFF is a file format used for a variety of different file types in the game, such at UT* templates, DLG dialog files, the global.jrl Journal entry file, just to mention a few.
TSLPatcher can modify the value of the fields in GFF files found in the user's override folder (or place a copy of the file there if it doesn't already exist before modifying it).
To do this, select the GFF Files section in the tree view and either choose Add GFF File... from the Modifiers menu, or right-click the section and choose Add GFF File... from the context menu. Type in the name of the file to modify, be sure to include the file extension (i.e. .dlg, .uti etc...). Then select the newly added GFF file in the tree view to view its Modifier list.
The TSLPatcher normally modifies GFF format files in place, rather than overwrite them, if it finds that one of the files already exists within the user's override folder. If you want existing files to be overwritten by a fresh copy from tslpatchdata before they are modified, check the Replace check box.
The Destination box (new in v1.2.5) allows you to determine where the GFF file is located (if modifying existing files) or should be saved (if adding new files). There are two options here:
1)If the Destination box is empty or set to “override” (without the quotation marks), the files will be modified and/or placed in the override folder as before.
2)If the Destination box is set to the relative path (within the game folder) and name of an ERF/MOD/RIM archive file, the modified GFF file will be modified (if already existing) or inserted (if not already existing or the Replace setting is set) into this archive file instead of being placed in the override folder.
Important:If you set an ERF/RIM file to save your modified files in you must specify the relative path from the game folder to where the ERF/RIM file is located. If, for example, you want to modify a GFF file within the file myarea.mod located in the Modules folder, you would set the Destination to Modules\myarea.mod.
There are three main things you can do in the GFF panel to create instructions to modify GFF files, which are divided into two distinct sections:
3.4.1. Modifying existing GFF Fields
To change the value of a GFF field, type in the label of the field in the GFF Field box. If the field is not located at the root-level (top-level) of the GFF Field tree, you must specify a full label path to the field, where each label or list-index is separated by a backslash ("\") character. E.g. to change the subtype of an item property, you might enter PropertiesList\0\Subtype.
Be careful when specifying the label. They are case sensitive, thus Comments and comments are not the same label. Use the GFF Editor to view the field tree in the GFF file you wish to modify.
Click the Load icon to the right of the GFF Field box to load all currently existing field labels from an existing GFF file. This may save you some typing and may help preventing typos in the field labels. If a file with the same name as the one you currently make modifiers for exists in the same folder as your changes.ini file (e.g. a tslpatchdata folder) it will be loaded directly. If the file could not be found you will be prompted to select one to load.
In the Value box, enter the new value you wish the field to have. Take care to only enter data of a type that the type of field can handle. Trying to assign a text string to an INT field is not a good
idea, for example. If you wish to assign a value stored in a StrRef# or 2DAMEMORY# token to a field, all (so far) assigned tokens are listed in the drop down list, so you can select the relevant token there.
Press the up arrow icon to save the Modifier to the list. To edit a field value you have already entered, select it in the list and press the down arrow icon.
Note: A few complex field types requires a somewhat more arcane procedure to specify their value:
ExoLocString fields will require you to append a directive to what to edit at the end of the field label, since they are made up of one StrRef value and optionally one or several sub-strings. If your ExoLocString field has the label Comments, you would assign a new StrRef value to it by typing Comments(strref) in the GFF Field box. For the substrings you add lang followed by the language+gender ID number of the string, like: Comments(lang0) to modify the English localized string the Comments field.
Orientation fields will require you to specify each part value separated by a pipe ("|") character. For example 0.05|1.2|0.0|10.0. Orientation fields are made up of 4 decimal values.
Position fields will require you to specify each coordinate value separated by a pipe ("|") character. For example 0.05|1.2|0.0. Position fields are made up of 3 (x,y,z) decimal values.
STRUCT and LIST fields have no value, since they only contain other fields and carry no data themselves.
Note: In TSLPatcher v1.2.7b9 and onward it is possible to use the value stored in a 2DAMEMORY# token as field path+name to modify a value. This can be useful in situations where you need to dynamically update fields that don't exist in the file already and you are having the patcher add dynamically (see section 3.4.2 below). It can, for example, be used to insert new branches into the dialog tree in a DLG file by first adding the new fields and storing the path+name to the RepliesList/EntriesList index fields in a token storing the list-index of the new corresponding ReplyList/EntryList structs in another token, and then insert them into the Index fields after they have been created.

Basically, in TSLPatchEdit tool, you'll have to remove all the .uti & .utc files that are currently being copied unedited into the override directory. Then, for each one, you'll have to Add GFF File. It will ask for the name of the file, and maybe even where it will be saved (the Override dir). Then you'll have to change the PropertiesList\0\Subtype to the name of the label in the newly modified appearance.2da file. You can use 2daMemory tokens to do this as well.

Hmm, I'll check the tutorial section, and if I don't see any thing, maybe I'll make one with pictures.
 Kainzorus Prime
10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Right, so I'm following this to the letter and adding gff files as I go. Is this how it should look:

http://img256.imageshack.us/f/87683684.jpg/)

DM_ArcBasic is the label from appearance.2da

I'm asking in advance to prevent further screw-ups.
 redrob41
10-16-2010, 3:54 PM
Right, so I'm following this to the letter and adding gff files as I go. Is this how it should look:

http://img256.imageshack.us/f/87683684.jpg/)

pretty much. I would also check the "Replace file if it already exists at destination" because this modified uti will always be the more up to date one.

I also prefer to use 2DAMemory tokens, just because it reduces the likelyhood of spelling mistakes, but it isn't nessesary. You wouldn't want to accidentally type in "DM_ArBcasic", right? Any spelling mistakes at this point would cause the disguise item to be messed up.

edit: I've got a tutorial up now. No link, because a moderator might choose to move it. I hope it helps you DK
edit 2: here's the link (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205673) for anyone else who might be interested ;)
 Kainzorus Prime
08-13-2013, 5:58 PM
Arise, Threadimus Prime.

Yes, I'm back, and yes, all the backlog that was on hold for the last three years is going to be released. For now, let me show you something that's going to be a part of the Imperial pack - Saul Karath's new uniform and head.

http://i.imgur.com/4zfdb0Q.jpg)
http://i.imgur.com/GKaWN8S.jpg)
http://i.imgur.com/O1Q4cdT.jpg)

Unfortunately, the hunched neck is not something I can fix, as I had to use the Sith Officer head rather than Saul's own due to clipping issues, and the SO head is animated in a way to balance the original sith uniform's thrust-out chest posture.
Page: 5 of 5