Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tips to a Good Fanfic!

Page: 2 of 2
 RC-1162
10-09-2006, 2:29 PM
And don't hesitate to ask other writers for tips on what to write about. If you're stuck somewhere, use the handy PM system, and don't forget to credit them afterwards! ;)
 Diego Varen
10-09-2006, 3:15 PM
Another tip from me:

7. Always try to credit on how well the writer has done and what they could do to improve.
 Anakin Skywalker
01-02-2007, 1:26 AM
My few tips:

1. Greatly enrich it with Detail... but don't go over board by defining everything the Character sees....
2. As I've been told in the past, seperate dialogues from different characters.
3. Use your Imagination.... do not just write about something that you have whitnessed, make up a new story
4. (my final one) be creative.... add new planets, new NPC's whatever.... not just strictly remain revolving around the NPC's placed throughout a game and/or Movie...
 JediMaster12
01-09-2007, 3:25 PM
Thanks for emphasizing my big point Anakin. I love detail in stories. I have beta read and read people fics for the better part of the year and I have come across some people who are confusing as to what a person sees or they are vague and it loses me. Implying tones of voice help color the particular situation like 'he replied with a slight growl,' obviously the guy is enraged over something. To embelish more on scenery, the best I have seen done are always on action scenes like duels and battles. Using metaphors helps a great deal because not everyone understands technical terms but they do understand simpler forms of explanation. Remember that writing a story is not like a movie. Your words have to be the film so to speak. That is why the detail is important so that we get a clear idea of what is being written.

Anakin: I guess I followed your tip number 4 well. I created a whole planetary system which is in the planet databank, another good source. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due.
 Allronix
01-10-2007, 6:37 PM
Choose your beta with care, and always use a beta for anything longer than 5 pages.
 Jae Onasi
01-10-2007, 6:44 PM
You all want me to set up a Beta volunteer thread here?
 Emperor Devon
01-10-2007, 6:50 PM
I think a beta (Jae made a grammatical error! :p) volunteer thread could go well. :)
 Anakin Skywalker
01-10-2007, 6:55 PM
You all want me to set up a Beta volunteer thread here?

That's a good idea...
 Dark_Lady
01-10-2007, 8:52 PM
I agree. I'd beta read people's works.
 Diego Varen
01-11-2007, 1:49 AM
I agree. I'd beta read people's works.

Who like? Sure, put a beta thread, I'm all for it.
 HappyMojo
01-11-2007, 5:43 AM
Another good tip: Try not to use the same word too many times. Otherwise your written language becomes utterly boring. Use thesaurus.com or word to find synonyms. That way you can awoid repeating words.

Use writely.com if you work on multible computers :)
 Kas'!m
01-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Just thought this might help some people:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Creative_Writing/Novels)
 vanir
12-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I've just got a simple question. Is it okay to double post in your own fanfic thread? This would help and is excellent cause for an exception.
 Rev7
12-26-2008, 12:47 AM
As far as I know, yes, you can. Though I have only seen it when people post chapters one after another.
 exoduz
06-07-2010, 7:45 PM
My Helpful Tip:

1. Never do more than one Fic at a time.

MY BIGGEST MISTAKE..........
Page: 2 of 2