Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Map Editor Tips, hints, questions here

Page: 2 of 4
 darth james
05-18-2006, 2:25 PM
All the maps i made were singelplayer maps!
if you change the maps to multiplayer they should appear. i don't know how to use the singleplayer maps if that is what you are trying to make.
 quinlan2703
05-18-2006, 2:32 PM
THX, now it works fine!!
 darth james
05-18-2006, 2:36 PM
does anyone know how get the map preview generator to work, and how to edit the historical background on custom maps?
 swphreak
05-18-2006, 6:46 PM
Anyone know how to make the Pirates in my Multiplayer Map... more active? The Pirate Base will attack anything that comes near it, but the Pirate Frigate I placed just sit there and attack anything that comes near it. Is it possible to add a Pirate AI to MP games?
 jadendecar
05-18-2006, 7:02 PM
Is there any way I can change the pop cap?
 darth james
05-18-2006, 9:13 PM
Is there any way I can change the pop cap?
look in the factions XML under space_tactical_unit_cap
 Sithman1138
05-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I need help, what do i put on my buildings so they don't explode when the game starts. I set them to the second option of possible. Any help?
 shadowsfm
05-19-2006, 3:17 AM
to keep them from exploding, go to the objects tab, select the building, find where it says, "starting object." change "none" to a blank.

single player maps are for compain, multiplayer maps are for skirmage

the skydome was too small for my map, so i removed it

other bugs i found is, the ai cant hurt me (and dont buy any units). for some odd resone, im getting money realy quick with out claiming any mining plants. the reinforcement pionts are all rebel, when it shouldnt. on the editor, i cant see the imp base, so i cant delete the multible buldings i been placing (i can see them in game.) and theres some areas on the map units should be able to go, but cant.
 Moffa
05-19-2006, 7:42 AM
shadowsfm

To see the imp base you must change the "current faction owner" to empire in the bottom of the object toolbar.
 [SFV]Android
05-19-2006, 9:06 PM
hey, i am wondering on a space map how to have different hyperspace angles (right now, everything jumps in from the left, which is pretty lame). how do i go about doing that?
 darthsabatino
05-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Can anyone post a step by step process for building a multiplayer space battle? My main problem right now is getting the space stations to produce units and do upgrades. Does anyone know how to do that?
 [SFV]Android
05-19-2006, 11:54 PM
Can anyone post a step by step process for building a multiplayer space battle? My main problem right now is getting the space stations to produce units and do upgrades. Does anyone know how to do that?

i am not 100% sure on this, but are you using the Skirmish Starbases? (eg. SKIRMISH_EMPIRE_STAR_BASE_1). the other stations in the same list are for GC type game play where one side attacks the other. I've made a map that works with 5 stations on it (1 pirate, 2 reb, and 2 impy) that upgrade seperatly (same upgrade on stations cannot run concurently however =/) i just need to know how to change the jump in angle >.>
 jadendecar
05-20-2006, 3:44 AM
I need some help. There is this wierd line down the middle of my map (it's invisible), and my team's units can't cross it, while the other teams' can. I would really like some help.
 mattrock616
05-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Now look here.My problem is that when i do a space map ,you know , i start with the new space , then i place the markers and then i start doing my crap.And when i want to load it , it never works, and every time when i place a downloaded map in my CustomMaps folder , and then i wnat to load it ,it doesn't works.THE SAME STORY WITH THE LAND MAPS.PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Moffa
05-20-2006, 11:09 AM
[SFV]Android
Change the Z angel on PLAYER_X_POSITION_MARKER to have a different jump in angel.

jadendecar
Go to height toolbar and change the Brush style to Passability Code Brush and have the terrain passability to clear, then just draw over the red markets, then it should work.

mattrock616
Can you be more specific on how you are doing a map??
 mattrock616
05-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Please help me.You see ,i've done everything to do a space map, and it didn't loaded.Please help me,and yes i've done almost everything to make it work.Actually ,when i enter in skirmish mode,the custom maps thing is not functional.Please help me.
 Moffa
05-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Ensure that you have installed the patch 1.04 and the custom map folder is in the right directory (\Star Wars Empire at War\GameData\Data\CustomMaps) and that you have placed your maps there to.
If this not help you, try a clean install of the game, with out any mods in your game folder.
 [SFV]Android
05-20-2006, 2:19 PM
[SFV]Android
Change the Z angel on PLAYER_X_POSITION_MARKER to have a different jump in angel.

either its not that simple, or u forgot something, becasue that isnt working
 swphreak
05-20-2006, 2:23 PM
mattrock616, please do not triple post, or repeat your question many times. If someone feels like helping you out, they will. If you're going to be a butt about it, you're probably not going to get much help. I also suggest reading the forum guidleines.

I'm noticing that sometimes units will not respond to any commands after I jump them in. It's happened to both me and my friend while we were playing my the space map I created.
 popcorn2008
05-20-2006, 2:28 PM
Anyone know how to get a preview of your map to appear ingame? Instead of the blue default pic?

I suppose Torpid would have to answer that as it is no where in any of the guides. I have a feeling it has to do with the HeightMap2D folder...
 jadendecar
05-20-2006, 2:43 PM
Alright, it works now, thanks a lot.
 Andycaccia
05-20-2006, 3:51 PM
Since I do not like the single player space maps used in the campaign mode I am going to re-design them...
so...I would like larger space maps with less asteroids/nebulas/debris and a lot of free space for big battles. Is there a way to change the size of existing maps whithout creating new ones?? And will they work for the single player campaign mode or not??
 jadendecar
05-20-2006, 5:58 PM
Yes, you can make maps bigger, simply change the patch size in map properties.
 wedge2211
05-20-2006, 10:02 PM
That only applies to land maps.
 Admiral Sith
05-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Works in Space maps too, Look for the Bounds sizes under "Playable Map Size"
 Moffa
05-21-2006, 5:22 PM
[SFV]Android
Sorry, i mean PLAYER_X_SPAWN_POINT_MARKER.
 noodle6
05-22-2006, 6:52 AM
Hiya
i asked this question a bit earlier but havent got a reply yet.
the map editor doesnt seem to start, ive reinstalled, redownloaded and repaired but it doesnt seem to start. i have it installed in the same folder as the game.
also after i downloaded the patch (more than once) when i try to apply the update and it starts copying files i get an error message telling me 'Directory is invalid! the target files could not be created'
i have no clue how i should go about fixing this, ive reinstalled the game, redownloaded the update and down everything i can think of but cant get it to work

any help you can give me would be great

cheers,
 shadowsfm
05-22-2006, 9:15 AM
installing into empire at war isnt a good idea
 Andycaccia
05-22-2006, 5:37 PM
Thank you all for your help!! I hope the larger maps i will be doing won't slow down the system performance too much...
 noodle6
05-24-2006, 6:00 AM
where should i install it?
it told me to make sure it is in the same folder as empire at war game
 shadowsfm
05-24-2006, 6:43 AM
do you have an english version of the game?
 noodle6
05-25-2006, 6:15 AM
i guess so
bought in australia
 DarthMaulUK
05-25-2006, 6:54 AM
Hiya
i asked this question a bit earlier but havent got a reply yet.
the map editor doesnt seem to start, ive reinstalled, redownloaded and repaired but it doesnt seem to start. i have it installed in the same folder as the game.
also after i downloaded the patch (more than once) when i try to apply the update and it starts copying files i get an error message telling me 'Directory is invalid! the target files could not be created'
i have no clue how i should go about fixing this, ive reinstalled the game, redownloaded the update and down everything i can think of but cant get it to work

any help you can give me would be great

cheers,

I suggest that firstly you uninstall EaW. If you want to keep your saved games, put them in a folder on your desktop. Install EaW as normal then install the patch then map editor. When installing the editor, it will come up with its own path to install to - select it. Once installed, select the map editor from START > PROGRAM FILES > Lucasarts > Empire at War > Petroglyph Map Editor.

I strongly suggest that you have nothing else running in the background whilst using the editor and re-installing the game ( Like anti virus, virtual drives etc)

If you are still having problems, post in the tech centre forum where it can be seen better

DMUK
 Web Rider
05-25-2006, 7:12 PM
okay, so I basicly registed because this thread was so helpful and I cant find help anywhere else...So my first question is: Does the black hole do anything or is it just there?

Secondly, and more inportantly, I like big space battles, therefore I maxed out the size of the map, only to find the "spacedome" is only designed to cover a small 10000x10000 map, not a maxed out 100000^2 map. Is there any way to fix this? I played around with the ground maping and noticed there was a space-texture which was just flat and covered everything. In short, is there any way to get my spacedome to cover my entire map?
 shadowsfm
05-25-2006, 7:32 PM
i wish
 Admiral Sith
05-25-2006, 8:22 PM
Yes, find the SPACEPRIMARYSKYDOMES.XML, edit the scale factor and wala. You will have to include your modified XML with your map though.
 Web Rider
05-25-2006, 9:03 PM
oh, well I've got a whole folder of modded XMLs(since I'm playing a modded version of the game) so that shouldnt be a problem.

New question, I saw this asked by somebody else, but the answer for it dosent seem to fix the problem...anyway, I've got this massive map, and I test it every 10 miniutes or so, but every time I got this "invisible wall" that seems to go arouns in my map, and apparently it's not just one, it seems there are a number of them, all over the map that are keeping me from going, well, pretty much anywhere. What causes this? Whats the remedy?
 Darth_Torpid-PG
05-26-2006, 8:21 PM
oh, well I've got a whole folder of modded XMLs(since I'm playing a modded version of the game) so that shouldnt be a problem.

New question, I saw this asked by somebody else, but the answer for it dosent seem to fix the problem...anyway, I've got this massive map, and I test it every 10 miniutes or so, but every time I got this "invisible wall" that seems to go arouns in my map, and apparently it's not just one, it seems there are a number of them, all over the map that are keeping me from going, well, pretty much anywhere. What causes this? Whats the remedy?

If this a land map, it sounds like the passability got randomized somehow. Go to the height tab of the editor and select passability from the drop-down. If you have a whole bunch of red blotches all over the map, that's your problem - just use the "clear" passability and clean them out, or pick the "reset passability" from the menu.

If it's a space map, I'm not sure what the problem is, since there isn't really any passability in space other than the objects themselves.
 Web Rider
05-26-2006, 9:19 PM
it's a sapce map, which is why it's weird to me as well, since there's no painting of any sort.
 mattrock616
05-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Now . I've installed the map editor and the game and the patch once more and the result is the sane.The editor doesn't works.I mean, no mods indtalled and still the same result.Can someone please help me?
 Web Rider
05-27-2006, 2:08 PM
are you running the game at the same time? whenever I tried to run the game while the editor was running or run the editor while the game was running they wouldnt work.
 voltes5
05-27-2006, 8:45 PM
the space maps i downloaded wont work. I NEED HELP
 Tyler_Durden
05-29-2006, 1:43 AM
I built a map with 3 factions, Imps, Rebs, and Pirates. It seems to work fine however, where my structures are placed, the map is cut off. I went to map properties and changed the playable map area to maximum but I am still not able to see or click on any of my structures, the same goes for the pirates and imps. What can I do to fix this?
 shadowsfm
05-29-2006, 3:58 AM
when the map is too big, there are bariers theat your units cant pass, so i shrunk my map. it was the lower and right boarder my units couldnt reach on my land map
 Tyler_Durden
05-29-2006, 4:07 AM
One more question, I included pirates as a 3rd and 4th faction in the game but they don't attack anyone. Should I remove one faction? I could be using the wrong objects as well, I don't know.
 NacNud
05-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I've been working on trying to create a larger space map. I have the width and hight set to 25000 with all the playable map area set to 400. The problem is i have all my markers set in front of the startbase and the units jump in fine but they won't go up. A example of this is i have some resource nodes in the corners inside both the purple and yellow border but my fighters will not go up to them. Is there some other setting that affects the area which units can occupy?

Many thanks for any help!
 shadowsfm
05-30-2006, 3:57 AM
never make the map that big, the units cant go all the way to the boarder then, its a bug
 NacNud
05-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Well crap. Does anyone know whats the largest size map that will work with the units being able to work correctly over the entire map?
 Web Rider
05-31-2006, 12:19 AM
so, the editor allows you to build giant maps, but you cant actually use giant maps?
 shadowsfm
05-31-2006, 4:01 AM
i think for space try 20,000 and ground 15 blocks (so that the skydome fits)
Page: 2 of 4