Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whats the best intro you've seen for a game?

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
04-30-2006, 7:56 AM
I was just surfing the web today and typed in Soul Blade to see if I could find the totally jaw-dropping intro fmv - but couldnt.

Soul Blade was called Soul Edge in Japan, so then I searched and found. Soul Blade was released on the PSX back in 1997 and for me, still remains one of the best FMV intros for a game.

Google have started to launch a beta version for searching out videos etc and thats where i found it.

Take a look and post your thoughts and your favs below.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9042144053663987951&q=soul+edge&pl=true)

DMUK
 Foshjedi2004
04-30-2006, 8:01 AM
Best Intro ever was definately Star Trek Armada for me....

..Jean luc we're recieved disturbing reports about the leader of the Borg Assault
..I already know...
 popcorn2008
04-30-2006, 8:37 AM
However ficticious the game was I really did like the FMV intos of both Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. Although the games were definetely not on the serious side, they played it off real well.

I miss the days of FMV in games, now everyone seems to be doing in game cutscenes rendered with the games engine. (It's cheaper... =)
 Admiral Raven
04-30-2006, 9:58 AM
No offence but I personally think that Soul Edge intro is really bad, the music just doesn't fit with it at all.

My favourite intro is from Dawn of War it just really gets you into the 40k universe and it looks amazing.
 lukeiamyourdad
04-30-2006, 6:03 PM
My favourite intro is from Dawn of War it just really gets you into the 40k universe and it looks amazing.

Ah yes, that was pretty good :) Lots of blood too.

I'm with popcorn. It's sad people don't think about doing more of those. Some were really well done.

And the Soul Edge intro does suck :xp:

Age of Mythology had a really nice intro movie. The game was so-so but the intro certainly was good.
Battlefield 1942 also had a good intro. It felt really massive.
StarCraft: Brood War also had an amazing intro.
Who can forget the intro from Tie Fighter? Yeah, it's old and ugly, but it's still a lot of fun.

Perhaps my favorite is the World of WarCraft intro. Yeah, it doesn't say much about the game, but damn, the first time I saw it after downloading the beta over a year and a half ago, my jaw dropped.
 wedge2211
04-30-2006, 9:08 PM
StarCraft: Brood War also had an amazing intro.
Definitely! That was a great "oh, sh!t" moment when the camera slowly backs off from that lone Marine and you see the hordes of Zerg about to descend on him...right after the cold callousness of the Terran expedition commanders. Ooooh, that one sent shivers up my spine the first time I saw it.
 Bob Lion54
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
"War. War never changes....."
Thus begings the greatest into every to grace my computer screen. If you don't reconize it, its from Fallout 2 for the PC. Its part of a 2 part into, the other half being just as good. Louis Armstong sings "A Kiss to Build a Dream On" as we are shown comical 1950's style footage of how to servive in the post-apocalyptic world. The music and the animation work amazingly together!

I also have to mention the intro for Oblivion. Patrick Stewart is great and gives a wonderful performance. The music is simply amazing. When you hear it, you just get drawn into the adventure that awaits you. This is one into, no matter how many times I play, I always watch.

The into for Dungeons and Drangons Online is wonderful too. Its a shame the game dosen't quite do it justice, but the into is still top notch with beautiful animation and voice acting.
 Admiral Raven
05-01-2006, 1:30 PM
Ah yea, the Battlefield 2 intro is good I think, it really makes me want to fight a big battle and I also really like the music.
 DarthMaulUK
05-01-2006, 1:44 PM
Pah you guys are harsh :-p For its time (1997) it was good!
 Admiral Raven
05-01-2006, 5:07 PM
:p, I think it was more the fact that the music really didn't go with it at all but meh.....
 The Doctor
05-01-2006, 9:58 PM
"The Federation stands on the preceface of another major conflict that threatens the fragile peace we have worked so hard to achieve. It has been six months since we successfully dealt with the threat of the Omega particle; tensions between the Cardassians and the Klingon Empire are on the rise, and we've just received word of a renewed Borg threat..."

-Star Trek: Armada II
 Hallucination
05-01-2006, 11:13 PM
In the Age of Chaos, two factions battled for dominance...
The noble Knights of Stormwind and Clerics of Northshire Abbey turned the land into a paradise.....
Yeah, Warcraft 1 FTW. :cool:
 Jan Gaarni
05-02-2006, 1:16 PM
The first one I remember seeing that really made me tickle thru the body of exitment, was the first time I saw the intro for Wing Commander III. :)

I've always loved games that start cinematically. :)
And that was the first game I played that gave that. And not only in the intro, but thru the whole game.
IV was also good.

Other than that I'll have to think about that.
There's X-Wing: Alliance, but I think that is also largely due to the soundtrack used.

More recently, the World of Warcraft intro is very nice.
 Darth Alec
05-03-2006, 3:31 PM
Red alert 2. I love games were the sovjets have a chance, and the "Drive friendly, the texas way" sign getting rammed by a tank, it just sticks to the brain.
 Palpatine_dc
05-03-2006, 8:38 PM
I have always liked the intro of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. First the well known rolling text and score, then the burning hulk of a Corellian Corvette, followed by the miles long Star Destroyer of Jerec. It was one of the first Star Wars games I played and at that point send a shiver down my spine.

I always liked FMV in a game like in the C&C and Red Alert games, it's a shame they don't get used as much any more. Recently Act of War had some in them, but they were so awfull with bad acting, silly dialogue and with a storyline so twisting and turning, it tied itself into a knot. Maybe with the recently announced C&C 3 we'll finally see some decent fmv's again.
 Crezzer Fett
05-16-2006, 8:30 AM
Warhammer 40000 Dawn Of War's intro is awesome. Ashame the game didnt live up to it though.
 Destroyder121
05-16-2006, 1:30 PM
Starcraft: Brood War And The intro for Total Annihilation definately remain my favourites.
 Dark Sad Shadow
05-16-2006, 6:12 PM
from star wars: Xwing Alliance :D

another game: well, i like the Final fantasies intro the XI is the best :d
Page: 1 of 1