Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

advanced tactics

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord Pickle
03-01-2006, 11:11 PM
So.

I was looking at the unoffical forum at petroglyph when a follow by the name of Joebewan said something interesting. Apparently the ISD's have a narrower firing arc than the Mon Cals. So if you can get the Mon cal to flank or get behind the ISD then your in good shape. I have read many of the posts here and in the petroglyph site on strategy and tactics but had no idea about this until I read that post.

So I was wondering if anyone else had any similar factoids that they could pass along so that we can develop some tactics based on this info. There is pleanty of information on basic suff but it would be nice to have some ideas to develop advanced tactics.
 FunkyDwarf
03-02-2006, 3:30 AM
ill state the obvious-> take out shield generators with bombers and the shield drops

its simple but very effective, especially against piet

i also, when rebel, use fleets of fighters, bombers and long range missile boats in hit and run raids which work. Whilst this tactic doesnt involve new information about ships i dunno how many of you have tried it, its quite good. 20 x wings and 12 bombers can decimate a fleet many times their worth.
 haard
03-02-2006, 4:29 AM
I try to take ISD and VSD by taking out the engine, (and shield) then flanking and concentrating on hangar, and then all hardpoints on the side I am flanking at.
Also, use capships with shield boost to soak fire.
 BuCkEt!
03-02-2006, 7:47 AM
I always start by eliminating smaller ships first (playing as Imps) as once Corvettes and Frigates get behind your Destroyers it is a major pain in the woowoo to turn around and attack them.

This is why I prefer fleets of Victory Class ships to Imperial Class ships. Smaller and more agile.

EDIT: I've also found that, while playing as Rebels with Mon Cals, it's pointless to target shield generators as by the time you're close to them the ion cannons/y-wings have already knocked out their shields. This allows you to target more critical hardpoints like turbolasers or hangers.
 Lord Pickle
03-02-2006, 4:15 PM
Another great thing about VSD's is that they take out shields very fast. A couple of VSD's and an ISD with some tartans is a potent mix that gives you a swarm of fighters and bombers.
 Star Destroyed
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
If the rebels have a lvl 5 station and I want that planet, I use two fleets. The first to take out the station with Broadsides and VSD's and the follow-up with at leat 15 ISD's. It works. Without Y-Wings to harass you, you've got it made.
 xhh2a
02-20-2007, 2:14 PM
or, you could use boba..........
 Thor the Bassis
02-21-2007, 1:33 PM
bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers bombers
 Equinox
10-31-2007, 6:42 PM
For the Rebels, use the Corellian Gunship. Use the boost engines to fly straight over the frigates/ISDs and target the engines for your first hardpoint. when they start turning, move to the top of the map which at the same time decimating the bombers and fighters. By the time half the frigates are dead, all fighters/bombers/tartans are destroyed. Just stay behind the engines and they cant fire at you at all. You can turn off boost engines when youve eliminated most opposition
Page: 1 of 1