Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Models & Textures

Page: 1 of 1
 darkthunder
02-24-2006, 5:30 AM
Hello. Me and some modding friends of mine are considering making a Star Trek Total Conversion mod for Empire at War. Possibly set it during the Dominion War since that's the most suitable conflict in comparison to the original game. We'd replace one side with the Federation Alliance, and the other side with the Dominion Forces.

Anyways, my main question with this post is... what format should the models and textures be in? Can we use already created 3D Studio Max/Lightwave meshes and convert to the format used in the game?

Will there be a model viewer/converter out anytime soon which can help us convert said meshes to the game? Any and all help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 Orao
02-24-2006, 5:59 AM
Ok textures are in dds format and dev team was using 3DSMAX to make models. However they use specific .alo file format for models which means that we will need an exporter plugin for max. Also animations are in separate files.
 Foshjedi2004
02-24-2006, 6:55 AM
Animations are .ala format which as yet we do not have a converter..or a program for. These things will not be released till maybe the fall. So I doubt we will have any major mods *Cough*Road to Victory (http://legacy.gamemod.net)*Cough*) for a while.
 dookie23
02-24-2006, 8:42 AM
You should join the fleet command team, both of your groups can make a st mod. GL :)
 darkthunder
02-24-2006, 9:57 AM
Does "Fleet Command" have a homepage? I'm sure more people in the modding team working to make a Star Trek mod would be a lot better then having several smaller teams making mods with similar content.
 dookie23
02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I think the founding member just revived but you can find one of their mods at armada 2 it was sw v st then it was just sw.
 Three60
02-24-2006, 3:32 PM
Yeah, me and a friend were thinking of this too. If you need help I'd be willing.
 TheStressPuppy
02-24-2006, 4:11 PM
I am also in the same modding clan as thunder. We are interested in a ST only mod. Mixing sci-fi genres IMO is a bad idea. I like Star Wars, and Star Trek,...but not together on the same screen lol.

The fact that the models were done in 3dsmax is a good thing for us, because that is my tool of choice. Im sure an exporter for the animations will become available in time.

I am more interested in importing ship models, and what we have to do to make the damaged/breakup models before we move on to the ground combat aspect of the game. Also how to make the hardpoints, FX, yada, yada.

We have both main sides space fleets already modelled, and quite possibly a 3rd side as well (we have for years we were just looking for the right platform to use em). They just need spit, and polish. It shouldnt be too hard to adapt them to this game.

Ground units we do not have. We will need character modellers, and animators.

We have a solid plan for what we want to do with the game. If anyone wishes to help us out we will gladly accept it.
 darkthunder
02-25-2006, 3:46 PM
Anyone know howto contact this "Fleet Command"-modteam or if they have a homepage or something?
Page: 1 of 1