Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC not reading the EaW disk

Page: 1 of 1
 para-trooper
02-21-2006, 9:01 AM
hi guys
tried to start EaW today but my computer wont read the disk and when i click on the EaW icon it asks me to insert the CD, at first i thought this was my CD drive but my other games and dvds work fine, EaW worked fine beofre this morning i have no idea what has happened :trooper:
 smoger
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
i noticed that sometimes i have to try twice before mine reads. not sure why.

i do have disk imaging software installed,.. not sure if thats the problem. its never taken more than 2 tries though
 Anakin_Krist
02-21-2006, 1:11 PM
I reckon you've installed the patch. My computer says this ONLY when the patch is installed. They need to fix this or no online play for me/us.
 gswift
02-21-2006, 2:18 PM
I was having the same problem with my DVD RW- drive. It would take several attempts of opening and closing the drive before it would recognize the EaW CD's in the drive. I had a heck of a time installing it. I've noticed that there are a couple of disks in my collection of music cd's that do the same thing. If I would eject the disk and turn it a little, then close it again I can usually get it to read in a couple of tries. The music cd's and the EaW disk play fine in the CD RW drive in my older computer. I replaced the DVD- drive with a new DVD+/- drive over the weekend and it reads the EaW CD's and my music disks just fine. I would seriously think about replacing your drive. If you open "my computer" and it doesn't even show the EaW disk in the drive then it's a hardware problem with your drive rather than any kind of software or driver problem.
 shadowsfm
02-21-2006, 6:00 PM
isnt laptop dvd drives expencive?
 para-trooper
02-21-2006, 8:33 PM
hmm the pc is only over a year old =/ putting the cd in and out isnt working either grrrr :(
 Anakin_Krist
02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
I gave you the problem. It's the patch.
 gswift
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I gave you the problem. It's the patch.

I had the problem before the game was even installed, so it couldn't have been the patch for me. Maybe we're talking about two different issues. I have the patch installed, and it works on the first try every time. For me it was hardware. Windows wouldn't recognize a disk in the drive, and wouldn't start the auto-run sequence or show a disk in 'my computer'.

If you're seeing the Star Wars disk in the drive properly when you open 'my computer' but it still tells you to insert the proper disk then maybe you need to double-check the product key. My product key had a number 1 in it, but I wan't sure if it was supposed to be a lower-case letter L. There could also be a number zero/letter O mix-up. I was lucky and guessed right the first time on the number 1. I don't see why they use those characters in product keys and system generated password routines... :(

If you don't see the disk in windows 'my computer' then it's your drive messing up. The game software/patch has nothing to do with that. My drive wasn't very old either. I don't think those DVD RW minus drives were worth a darn. It wouldn't recognize certain brands of blank disks either.
 Igor_Cavkov
02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
my dvd rom keeps reading and reading then nothing happens.. first 3times it starts and once it started installing but an error accured :S my dvd has hard times to read the disc :S but its nothing wrong with my dvd before and now it wont even read other dvd's after EaW!! and i bought the game yesterday and i havent even played it yet!! wtf please help!!
 gswift
02-22-2006, 2:00 PM
my dvd rom keeps reading and reading then nothing happens.. first 3times it starts and once it started installing but an error accured. my dvd has hard times to read the disc. but its nothing wrong with my dvd before and now it wont even read other dvd's after EaW!!

Hmmm. That doesn't sound good. Try blowing out your DVD player with canned air. Next make sure you remove any trace of a failed install attempt. Maybe you could roll back your computer to a recent Windows restore point if any registry entries were made before it crashed? Also make sure your antivirus, pop-up blocker, and adware software are not running when you try to install. You may also want to make sure you have enough hard drive space and try running a defrag.
 para-trooper
02-24-2006, 7:36 PM
still not having much luck with this, if it is a patch issued is there a fix planned? :(
 gswift
02-28-2006, 11:29 AM
One more thing I've seen suggested: Try using a cleaning CD in your drive. They don't cost much.

You never said whether you can see the disk when you open 'my compter'. There are many types of blank media and copy protection that are used for game production. Not all types are friendly to all disk drives, and some are just harder to read, so a dirty lense may work on most disks, but not all.
Page: 1 of 1