Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Could we use VPN to get around gamespy problem?

Page: 1 of 1
 dougsmithuk
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Been trying this with a friend before I gave up. Maybe others could figure it out (unless its disabled somehow in the game!!):

I set-up a VPN server on my LAN at home and my friend connected to my network from his house fine. He was assigned a local IP address and I could ping and browse files on his machine!!

We then though of simply opening Empire at War and trying the LAN option as theoretically he is on the same network now.... BUT we couldnt see each other in the LAN lobby :(

Anyone else experimented with VPNs to try and get a LAN game working? Or is this not possible? I would LOVE it if this worked as I've only ever managed to get a few games working through the Gamespy method.

Over to you guys....
 Spaxspore
02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Hamchi is the best program for that, works really good and its free, got done playin my bro in a GC Lan Match, worked great.
 dougsmithuk
02-19-2006, 1:36 PM
Have you managed to play EaW using Hamchi with the LAN option in the game?
 Spaxspore
02-19-2006, 2:15 PM
yea, its a LOT easier and more reliable then GameSP&.

Especially if u want to play with friends
 Athanasios
02-19-2006, 2:25 PM
Spaxspore, what's this Hamchi program? Never heard of it....something like Xfire or what?
 Spaxspore
02-19-2006, 4:29 PM
virtual lan, just search for it on google.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-19-2006, 5:34 PM
Thread moved to Multiplayer section.
 enterman
02-19-2006, 8:11 PM
Spaxspore, what's this Hamchi program? Never heard of it....something like Xfire or what?
basiclly its like playing lan except your friend is alot farther away.
 lightsaber
02-20-2006, 3:53 AM
I also tried using Hamachi... but still the same problem, whe don't see each other in the LAN Lobby. Have you changed any settings with Hamachi????
 ITGL72
03-01-2006, 9:59 AM
Hamachi? Virtual LAN? OMG -- a way to bypass GAMESPY and maybe even get better online performance? I must google now. THANKS FOR THE TIP!
 lightsaber
03-01-2006, 10:58 AM
sorry guys to disappoint you... but with Hamachi it is not working properly... only with huge problems... and this is a result of a lousy eaw network code... this game just uses to many ports. I have given up trying to conect with hamachi...
 ITGL72
03-01-2006, 1:09 PM
That is very dissappointing. I will wish we could bypass GAMESPY!
Page: 1 of 1