Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Useless Frigates

Page: 2 of 2
 jawathehutt
02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
ya kind of
 MachineCult
02-25-2006, 3:28 PM
I think he means that you would have to hold the hill, and killl as many opponents as you can. And the longer you hold it the more points you get. Something like that, I know what he means.
lol, i'm pretty sure thats king of the hill.
 ParanoidAndroid
02-25-2006, 4:07 PM
Sounds like KoTH to me. Execpt instead of earning points for holding the hill you start a countdown to victory when you capture it from it's NPC guardians. I'm actually surprised that gamemode didn't make it into BFII, it would have been an fun mode some maps.
 PoiuyWired
02-27-2006, 3:41 PM
How about a FFA?
 jawathehutt
02-27-2006, 5:34 PM
that would be sweet
like call of duty where you would choose a team but only to choose your class
 MachineCult
02-27-2006, 6:47 PM
How about a FFA?
That would be a slaughter, sounds cool lol.
 ParanoidAndroid
02-27-2006, 8:32 PM
Free For All? sounds fun. I actually thought about a "Mos Eisly street brawl" scenario. Where instead of picking armies you just spawn as a random alien scum on mos eisly, then run around killing anyone and everyone with whatever weapons you can find...

Back on topic, not sure how it would work in space though, would everyone be enemies but still spawn on one capital ship or somthing? It would be total chaos with everyone flying around shooting everyone down...
 Darth Andrew
02-27-2006, 8:56 PM
I think he means that each player would get their own capital ship.

I kid. I think a free-for-all mode would work only on ground maps, seeing as there really aren't any places to hide in space. And even if it was a dogfight FFA mode instead, you probably wouldn't last more than two minutes.
 TSR
02-28-2006, 6:24 AM
That would be cool. Maybe if you had a 16 player brawl, each player having their own flagship in an elim ination, last man standing type scenario. What would you do? stay and defend or go on the offensive? with AI that cant seem to determine friend or foe in sapce, that would be a crazy matchtype.
i like it.
 PoiuyWired
02-28-2006, 3:07 PM
Well, more like... a demolition rally in space :3
 jawathehutt
02-28-2006, 5:08 PM
ya no kidding
possibly have it be sorta like cod multiplayer where you choose your weapon before spawning
but in this you would choose from a list of ships
and thats what you would spawn in
 Wildcat'
03-01-2006, 3:02 AM
isn't it possible to mod the frigates flyable in a way? use the model and change it a bit so that there are gunner spots and a pilot spot?
 taclled
03-01-2006, 2:08 PM
[QUOTE=ParanoidAndroid]Free For All? sounds fun. I actually thought about a "Mos Eisly street brawl" scenario. Where instead of picking armies you just spawn as a random alien scum on mos eisly, then run around killing anyone and everyone with whatever weapons you can find..
[QUOTE]Yeah trandoshans for everyone.
Oh, and put that Correlian wiskey on my tab
 zerted
03-02-2006, 9:48 AM
Would people really want a free-for-all game mode? I have a plan in my mind on how to make such a game type, but I've been working on other things (script API documentation).

You might be able to change the frigates into fighters. The first step would be to take an existing fighter, and point its mesh files over to the frigate. You would then need to adjuest where the weapons fire from. I don't think you can get auto-turrets to move around. They would have to be dropped.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Would people really want a free-for-all game mode? I have a plan in my mind on how to make such a game type, but I've been working on other things (script API documentation).

You might be able to change the frigates into fighters. The first step would be to take an existing fighter, and point its mesh files over to the frigate. You would then need to adjuest where the weapons fire from. I don't think you can get auto-turrets to move around. They would have to be dropped.

If course, we would want a FFA mode. But, this ain't the place to talk about it.

Yeah, I think they should change frigates to fighters too. But, they could still be there...the turrets. Like if you could fit a few pilots with you and change them to normal turrets.
 Redtech
03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Erm, frigates to be flyable like fighters? Woah, I thought people wanted Star Wars realism. *shrugs*

Heck, I don't think even the X-Wing series let you fly a cap ship directly like a fighter.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Erm, frigates to be flyable like fighters? Woah, I thought people wanted Star Wars realism. *shrugs*

Heck, I don't think even the X-Wing series let you fly a cap ship directly like a fighter.

Umm....we mend in space. >.>
 Redtech
03-02-2006, 1:11 PM
Yes, I call Capital Ships "Cap ships". Y'know, the same way Twin Ion Engines are called "Those POS fighters the Empire have". I know they fly in space. But considering the size of the other frigates besides the Rebel one, they ain't pulling off any stunts!

Just treat them like capital vessals and just "plot a course".

Anyway, this isn't worth arguing about to be honest.
---------------------------------------------------------

As for a free-for-all-mode. I have the feeling that BF was too close to it already. At least the AI will be good at killing everyone though.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-02-2006, 3:02 PM
Yes, I call Capital Ships "Cap ships". Y'know, the same way Twin Ion Engines are called "Those POS fighters the Empire have". I know they fly in space. But considering the size of the other frigates besides the Rebel one, they ain't pulling off any stunts!

Just treat them like capital vessals and just "plot a course".

Anyway, this isn't worth arguing about to be honest.
---------------------------------------------------------

As for a free-for-all-mode. I have the feeling that BF was too close to it already. At least the AI will be good at killing everyone though.

No doubt. I like how you referred to the TIE's. Yeah, they are a POS.
 TSR
03-03-2006, 8:05 AM
slightly off topic i think...
but wouldnt it be cool if after sabotaging a capital ship inside (destroying internal systems) a countdown started that would signal the destruction of the ship... massive explosion that leaves just enough time to make a stereotypicaly close call stylish escape in a handily place tiefighter etc. like, 20 seconds until the ship is blown up in a spectacular explosion that destroys anything within a particular radius... how cool would that be? maybe this should of gone in the SWBF3 wishlist... wait a min.. no! you could do this in the frigates! thats related!
 Redtech
03-03-2006, 9:14 AM
Yep. We love to cuss SWBF2!

Mind you, would it really matter if you died? I mean, death doesn't matter in this game. Heck, average lifespan is 1 minute if you're above average.
 TSR
03-04-2006, 4:32 AM
it would still be pretty cool though. i dunno about the lifespan thing. i prefer to stay alive throughout the match... it means less medals but it is more challenging. maybe im being a complete retard here, but what does cuss mean?...
 ParanoidAndroid
03-04-2006, 7:20 AM
I enjoy attempting to survive a whole match, it's pretty challenging especially since battlefront is basicly the kind of game where it's almost guarnteed you'll die several times. The trick is doing somthing worthwhile before your blown away. It's what happens when you play a game as the nameless cannon fodder instead of the main characters.

Now I like the idea of the capital ship 'sploding. If your going to have destructable capital ships, you've gotta have a classy explosion. With the typical trying to fly away before you get caught in the blast, and trying to escape (even if, in the whole scheme of the battle, it doesn't really matter.) before the whole thing goes up in smoke. Only to be caught in the blast just as you make it out of the hanger.
 Redtech
03-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Venom, I'm referring to the point that Battlefront is not one of those games where you're not punished for dying.

Oh yeah and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cussing) should help learn to respect Battlefront the way it's meant to be played. :P

------------------------------------------
Android, it'd be funny at the very least. If the space levels were sub-atmospheric, then at least the ship would crash into the ground battle. It'd make me laugh to see an enemy cap ship crash into an enemy attack line (Geonosis comes to mind with those ships being shot down, but Coruscant would be a blast!)
 PoiuyWired
03-05-2006, 5:25 PM
Now I like the idea of the capital ship 'sploding. If your going to have destructable capital ships, you've gotta have a classy explosion. With the typical trying to fly away before you get caught in the blast, and trying to escape (even if, in the whole scheme of the battle, it doesn't really matter.) before the whole thing goes up in smoke. Only to be caught in the blast just as you make it out of the hanger.

Escape?

Well, would be wise to stay behind, hopefully getting a few more kills with them explosives while your enemy is trying to fly out. Sure you would die, but you cause more carnage, and thats all good.

Blood for the Blood God!! :3
 TSR
03-06-2006, 5:29 AM
(quote redtech)- Woah, I thought people wanted Star Wars realism. *shrugs*

star wars? realistic? ROFL!

:dsaber:
:slave: :vsd:
realistic?
???????????????????
ah well.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-06-2006, 1:45 PM
(quote redtech)- Woah, I thought people wanted Star Wars realism. *shrugs*

star wars? realistic? ROFL!

:dsaber:
:slave: :vsd:
realistic?
???????????????????
ah well.

I think ment realistic to Star Wars standards.
 jawathehutt
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
i think escape pods might be able to fit in
even cooler idea tho
explodable ships on a ground/ space map
like imagine having your ship be falling apart in mid air and pieces would fall down crushing stuff
and you pod would land
im thinking of like the pods from halo 1 that mc lands on
like that you can drive and stuff
but wouldnt it be cool to have it land behind enemy lines
then have a brutal fight back to safty
even tho you would just respawn if you died, it would be a great tale to tell at the catina
 Redtech
03-07-2006, 8:40 AM
Obi-wan, you read me mind! Damn, I'm becoming predictable. *Wah*

I dunno about escape pods. I'd rather take a LAAT down to the surface, how cool would that be? But then again, using escape pods as drop pods Halo-style would be very interesting if there are no spacecraft available.

Y'know, this would work if you had no CPs on a ground/space level besides any command workers and capital ships. That way you would be forced to be tactical besides nabbing a post, you could make a huge emphaphisis on team-work on many areas.

Yep, and fighting behind the front lines would be so cool. I can see someone calling for air-support from a hill or getting an AT-TE dropped at their location.

Jawathehut, thinking about it...that is cool!
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-07-2006, 2:37 PM
Obi-wan, you read me mind! Damn, I'm becoming predictable. *Wah*

Of course. Jedi Mind tricks always work on the weak-minded. j/k :p

Escape pods aren't suitable for SWBF2...it just wouldn'twork. IMO
 ParanoidAndroid
03-07-2006, 3:03 PM
I'm not to sure about escape pods. After all, if I was about to evacuate a doomed ship, I'd take a starfighter, chances are I was planning to take one anyway. Also it seems kind of pointless, I think I'd rather just take the death and respawn later.

Now if space land battles were combined it could be a neat addition, but aside from that I don't really think it would fit with the way the game is played.
Page: 2 of 2