Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth II

Page: 1 of 1
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-07-2006, 6:59 PM
Yes, you've heard about. And most of you voted against it in a recent poll between BFME II and EaW. It's the sequel to Battle for Middle-Earth. An okay game that many thouht it was a dissappointment. Well, now its sequel is being released. Now, you can create-a-hero, play on maps from the books, naval combat, and much more. There is also a demo coming out very soon and the game is going to be released in about three weeks time. Well, there you have it. I certainly am hyped up about the game.

Anyway.....here are some links to the game site.

BFME II (http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/home.jsp)
BFME II Demo (http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/battleformiddleearth2-demo/)
BFME II Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/index.html?q=Battle%20for%20MiddleEarth)
 popcorn2008
02-07-2006, 8:00 PM
I'll give the demo a try, I didnt play the first one though. While I am a LOTRs fan, I generally like star wars more. But it does look intereasting.
 Snafu7
02-07-2006, 8:56 PM
I didn't play the first one either, but I guess I'll check this out when the demo is out.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
As will I. There was also a beta. If you pre-ordered the game, you could download it, but I my friend tried it and the process took forever and never really got to play. But, I did play the first game which was decent. IMO.
 Darth Andrew
02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I'll give the demo a try, I didnt play the first one though. While I am a LOTRs fan, I generally like star wars more. But it does look intereasting.Ditto. To me it looks a lot better than the first one.
 Thrawn
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I thought the first one was more of a Hero RTS than anything else. Sure there were other units around, but when push came to shove, the heroes and powers won the battle. In that sense, I thought it was awesome. But as an RTS with full scale armies clashing, it was lacking. I'll be buying this one most likely, unless the demo really turns me off.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-08-2006, 7:08 PM
Ahhh....somebody created a poll. Sweet! I'll probably still buy the game even if the demo is incredibly crappy. Meh. I should be decent. It's 1.3 GB. But, you never know.
 Jeff
02-09-2006, 8:44 AM
I wasn't even planning on trying the demo, but I'll probably try that out and if it's any good, buy it when it's been out a while and the price drops.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-09-2006, 7:42 PM
Well, anyway, right now I am downloading the demo. But I restarted it. Well, when I got home I downloaded from Gamespot. I reached 10% after two hours of downloading. So, then somebody told me about Internet Download Manager (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/) and I had the reset my PC. I did but this time I used File Planet (http://files.filefront.com/LOTR+The+Battle+for+Middle+earth+II+SP+Demo/;4740239;;/fileinfo.html) (but doesn't reall matter what you use. Anyway, I have reached 15% in about 15 minutes. So, I'd suggest trying IDM.

Well, anyway feel free to ask any questions about it and I'll post some screenshots.
 popcorn2008
02-09-2006, 8:38 PM
Just finished playing part of the first tutorial. It sure wasnt as captivating as EaW's tutorial was, but of course I am slightly biased. It really felt to me like the same old RTS formula only LoTR style. It is becoming apparent that game developers are gonna have to change up the formula or else only specilized customers will buy. What I mean is, only LoTR fans will buy this game, not the general RTS fans. Of course, this may not be the case but for me it is.

I'll give it anouther go tommorow, just a skirmish or the advanced tutorial. But the basic one was just boring and it had bugs in it. I could tell it was the same old engine as Generals too, even after all these years they cant start fresh. Im sure glad EaW has a new engine to play around with.

So far, im not impressed, but i'll give it anouther go tommorow.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Finally got it download. Phew....about time. Anyway, so far it's okay. The tutorial was sorta boring. But....meh. I'll play more tomorrow. Time to go to bed. *Yawn*
 swphreak
02-10-2006, 7:13 PM
After playing it, I'm not impressed. I had 4 goblin groups attacking 1 dwarf group, and they didn't kill a thing. I may just pass up on BFME2 afterall. I already uninstalled the demo.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-12-2006, 9:04 PM
After playing it a few times, I am actually impressed. The game poses more of a challenge than the first game. I have mostly played as the Dwarves and have only used 2 of the Heros. Dain and Gimli (there is also Gloin), Dain is pretty good and Gimli is still the same as in BFME. Though he is still powerful the units are pretty sweet.

Now, there is mines for your resource collector (at least for the Dwarves and Goblins)but the Goblins do have Lumber Mills also.) For the Dwarves, you can get such powers as, Barrage (Rocks barrage an area), Earthquake, "Building Healer" (can't remember what it's called :xp:), and Heal. Though there is more than that. And for Goblins, you have War Chant (increases attack), Dragon, Balrog, and allies such as Wild Men, and Goblin/Cave Liars. And there is more than this.

Though I wasn't able to create a hero. I can't wait to create own when the game comes out. Anyway.....

-Commander Obi-Wan
 jedi3112
02-13-2006, 9:47 AM
Nice demo, but I stilll think EAW is much better. But at elast they dropped the castles and stuff and used a free build mode. And I would like to create my own heros as well (without modding one in that is). Walls aren't really usefull though, unless you build them to place weapons on them. It's a vast improvement of the previous game, but some things still need a few changes.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Walls are crap because they cost too much. With the money spent on walls, you can make a big load of units who will be more useful in both attack and defense.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-13-2006, 1:03 PM
Walls are crap because they cost too much. With the money spent on walls, you can make a big load of units who will be more useful in both attack and defense.

I just increase the resource total when you choose the maps. I increase it to 4000.
 lukeiamyourdad
02-13-2006, 9:12 PM
So what? Doesn't make them more cost-effective.
You're just saying that if you have more ressources you can afford more expensive stuff. Well, that ain't news to anyone.

However, this is pricing a 1990 Honda Civic the price of a fully armored Humvee. It's overpriced compared to its usefulness.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-14-2006, 1:43 PM
So what? Doesn't make them more cost-effective.
You're just saying that if you have more ressources you can afford more expensive stuff. Well, that ain't news to anyone.

However, this is pricing a 1990 Honda Civic the price of a fully armored Humvee. It's overpriced compared to its usefulness.

I was just pointing out the possibly of increasing it so you'd have more resources to spent on walls. I personally don't think they are that expensive.

Anyway, if you go to the official site BFME II (hopefully this link works XP) (http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/home.jsp), there is some new videos under Middle Earth Monday. There is a sweet video for the armies of Mordor and Isengard. Isengard has the Tower of Orthanc has its "advantage" on the fortress. The special ability for Orthanc is a lightning-type of attack. And Mordor has the Tower of Barad-Dur. It has a fire ability.
 Thrawn
02-14-2006, 4:10 PM
I agree that walls are way too expensive to be of any use, especially when the goblins can just climb right over.

And holy crap, some of these powers are insanely powerful. The earthquake can demolish most of the enemy buildings and knock off all the additions to the fortress.

All in all, I like the game, but EAW will be taking priority. It just seems to be more balanced and doesn't have the worry of taking an hour to beat your foe back to his base only to have a dragon spawn in yours.
 EAWFAN
02-14-2006, 5:35 PM
well im not a lotr fan because i think they copied star wars with the good and evil stuff(alot of movies are starting to do that) and i dont really like movies that are obsesed with objects(ring) im giving the demo a try but nothing can ever match star wars ever IMO
 lukeiamyourdad
02-14-2006, 6:03 PM
I was just pointing out the possibly of increasing it so you'd have more resources to spent on walls. I personally don't think they are that expensive.

Are you sure? A tiny portion can cost 300 gold + the wall hub. Pretty darn expensive when you compare it to the units.

Again, pointing that out was fairly useless since this is more of a balance issue then a monetary one.

well im not a lotr fan because i think they copied star wars with the good and evil stuff

Yeah, LotR copied Star Wars even if the books first came out back in the 60's and Star Wars only came out in 1977. Yeah...and Star Wars invented the whol e good vs evil concept...because it only existed in the late 20th century and not since the dawn of time.
 DS_Vespidbat
02-14-2006, 6:45 PM
i can tell u like to exagerate(sp?)
im not even going to try the demo, doesnrt look appealing to me and ya i am getting tired or gathering resources for like an 1 hour and soon die in 5 mins...i dont like heros being so strong that it might take 100 or more units to kill it
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-14-2006, 7:40 PM
Are you sure? A tiny portion can cost 300 gold + the wall hub. Pretty darn expensive when you compare it to the units.

Again, pointing that out was fairly useless since this is more of a balance issue then a monetary one.

Ummm......it cost me about 100 gold per wall portion for me. And a wall hub 200 gold. What you said sounds expensive, though.

im not even going to try the demo, doesnrt look appealing to me and ya i am getting tired or gathering resources for like an 1 hour and soon die in 5 mins...i dont like heros being so strong that it might take 100 or more units to kill it

I don't mid collecting resources. I think EaW is influencing gamers away for resource collecting....meh. You don't die in like 5 min if you stratigize your attacks and defense. Also, using the armies advantages help. Meh. I am stilling getting the game and I like the game.
 EAWFAN
02-14-2006, 8:04 PM
is there any places were i can get a 400kbps+ and almost no wait im still in line at filefront because im only getting dial up speed every where else including gamespots website(i do have cable internet)
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-14-2006, 10:24 PM
is there any places were i can get a 400kbps+ and almost no wait im still in line at filefront because im only getting dial up speed every where else including gamespots website(i do have cable internet)

Try http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/lotrbattlemiddle2/bfme2demo_english_final.exe.html) and I'd suggest downloading Internet Download Manager. (http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/)
 EAWFAN
02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
thanks man im only on 14 percent after 2 hours :( i have a cable connection!
 Thrawn
02-15-2006, 9:39 AM
It took me 13 hours to download it off of filefront before, and that's with a cable connection.

I think the wall prices should be 75 a section. That will allow dwarves at least a chance. The add ons to the walls can stay the same prices.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-15-2006, 9:55 AM
It took me 13 hours to download it off of filefront before, and that's with a cable connection.

I think the wall prices should be 75 a section. That will allow dwarves at least a chance. The add ons to the walls can stay the same prices.

Yeah, it would have took me 36 hours but I used IDM. Yeah, I think the walls should be cheaper, I guess, though I might change in the actual game.
 ActofWar
02-15-2006, 2:35 PM
It took me 2 hours to download the Demo, at first i wasn't really impressed, it looked and felt like the orginal BFME, but, now ive played it a few times, i am enjoying it.

Exspenally when Golum turned up, killed him, he droped the ring, took the ring to my fort, and then collected 10,000 resorses and created SAURON. (I was playing as the goblins), a apprentaly theres the Eleven Witch for the dwarfs if your able to get the ring.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-15-2006, 6:43 PM
It took me 2 hours to download the Demo, at first i wasn't really impressed, it looked and felt like the orginal BFME, but, now ive played it a few times, i am enjoying it.

Exspenally when Golum turned up, killed him, he dropped the ring, took the ring to my fort, and then collected 10,000 resorses and created SAURON. (I was playing as the goblins), apparently, theres the Elven Witch for the dwarfs if your able to get the ring.

Fixed. Your spelling and punctutuion needs work. ;)

Anyway, ya the "Elven Witch" is Galadriel. And where did you find Gollum? I can't find him.
 EAWFAN
02-15-2006, 7:00 PM
ok you people are talking are forign language to me i have never seen any lotr movies or read any of the books can some one give me a paragraph or so on what happens in lord of the rings. :quote: ya the "Elven Witch" is Galadriel. And where did you find Gollum? I can't find him. :quote: like righ there who are these people do they really matter. im in 30% on the demo on xfire it would have been downloaded by now but i forgot to og in on xfire this morning at 8 and then i went to school im luckly getting 230kbps :):):) and is this like gbg with the collecting type of thing where there are 4 diffrent things you can and need to collect or is it like EAW where you only need credits. thanks, EAWFAN
 Jeff
02-15-2006, 7:04 PM
 EAWFAN
02-15-2006, 9:01 PM
thanks darth moeller for the link finnaly at 98% and im wondering in YOUR opinions if this game is worth buying and is it like the first one(better or worse) havent played the first one and am thinking of getting it dont know though
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-15-2006, 9:58 PM
UPDATE: Here's some videos for IGN - IGN preview of BFME II (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/761/761534/vids_1.html)
 ActofWar
02-16-2006, 6:03 AM
Anyway, ya the "Elven Witch" is Galadriel. And where did you find Gollum? I can't find him.

Golum seems to be a "Random Event", you have no idea where he'll turn up or should i say IF he turns up.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-16-2006, 1:04 PM
Golum seems to be a "Random Event", you have no idea where he'll turn up or should i say IF he turns up.

Thanx, though I found him already. XP
 MTV2
02-17-2006, 2:12 PM
whoa, i was gunna download the demo but saw it was 1.37 gb and that would take forever on my wimpy 256k...which downloads sometimes at like 30kb/s >.<

edit: ha, try downloading it and was going at around 30-31kb/s and an estimated time of around 13 hours >.<
 Thrawn
02-17-2006, 3:53 PM
Yup, that's how long it ended up taking me.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-27-2006, 2:02 PM
The demo would have taken me 28 hours if it wasn't for IDM. :)

So, ya, I have played the demo, it got repetitve. Though, I did get to us Suaron and Galadrial. Both fun to use. Though I'd prefer Sauron because of his special powers. I also like using the heroes. Like Gloin and Gimli are awesome ans so is Dain. Dorgoth, I think, is a dragon who pwns all, and Gorkil, the Goblin King, was fun to use, as was Shelob. I prefer using the Dwarves over the Goblins. I guess I like them more.

Though, I can't wait to use the Elves, and other force. And thank goddness it's Teacher's Convention on Thursday, so I can get it before the rush. And I have already pre-ordered it from EB Games.
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-28-2006, 5:50 PM
Another UPDATE: http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/editorial.jsp?src=Middle-earth_Mondays)
More videos. The release of the game is in about 2 days.
 Commander Obi-Wan
03-09-2006, 5:19 PM
Sorry for triple-posting but I am currrently unable to form these three posts in to one for some reason.

So, yes I have the game as most of ya know. I have had it for a week. I have played all the modes. I personally enjoy the War of the Ring mode, which is like Risk, but you actually get to play the battles.

The campaigns are rather small. But fun to play. So far, I have beaten the Good campaigns which is rather easy, with the except of the final battle which takes for ever. And I have just started the Evil campaign.

Online is awesome. You can play WotR online and of course, skirmishs which are fun to play especially when you are playing against a bunch of people. Though, Skirmishs with custom heroes sorta suck b/c sometimes the game goes out of synch. But, meh.

Skirmishs against the computer is fun. You can play against Easy, Medium, Hard, and Brutal armies. But, at least when you use your custom heroes don't 'cause the game to go out of synch.

So, you can also create a hero now. All the stats are keep for them. Though, the options for them sorta suck. Naval Combat is awesome.

So, ya. I enjoy the game. I recommend it. 8.7/10

-Commander Obi-Wan
 †Saint_Killa†
03-10-2006, 9:16 PM
It's cool. I have EAW and BFME2 on my PC.
 MagnaGuard
03-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I have the game. It's sweet.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battleformiddleearth2witchking/news.html?sid=6156127)

A new expansion to BFME II.

Wise choice? We'll wait and see.

(copied from Ahto)
 Jeff
08-23-2006, 9:33 AM
My brother got the BFMEII collector's edition for his birthday a couple days ago. So he'll probably be wanting this when it comes out too. I haven't given bfme2 a shot yet but I will eventually.
 Spartan 063
09-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I've always liked LotR trilogy and BFME so i would go buy it. I like playing with archers. They are my favorite units and I like archery.
 Commander Obi-Wan
10-20-2006, 6:55 PM
UPDATE:

http://www.ea.com/official/lordoftherings/bfme2/us/home.jsp)

The site has the new/old trailer for it. It's cool. More in-depth into the books, by the looks of it.
 Commander Obi-Wan
11-27-2006, 9:42 PM
Finally, tomorrow, November 28th, the expansion pack for BFME II is being released.

Enjoy it if you're buying it. :)
Page: 1 of 1