Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Uber Transports?

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
01-22-2006, 7:58 PM
Okay, this is just a general question since I noticed this while playing a mod.

Are the Imperial transports supposed to be this powerful? It seems that turbolasers go right through them, and it takes massive fleet bombardments for a long, long time to destroy them.

Is this something that the mods did, or are ability they normally possess? It's like they are phase cloaked or something. How could such tiny ships be intended to be so powerful?

Or is it just some weird cheat? Is this a ship that was meant for cutscenes/tutorials only or something and that explains why it's so hard to destroy? I noticed a similar problem with the Imperial Lambda class shuttle (destroyable, but regular shots go right through it, you have to attack the area they're in or use area bombardments)

I'm specifically thinking of those "trantor (tantor?)" transports that look sort of like Correllian corvettes. What is the occasional "red glow" they give off? Is that some kind of healing or invulnerability?

Thanks for any insight.
 popcorn2008
01-22-2006, 8:00 PM
Heh... I ran into the same problem. I was playing the ultimate mod and after finally killing the imp fleet I had to mop up a gizzilion imp transports. These babies sure can withstand fire power thats for sure.
 Bottle
01-22-2006, 8:22 PM
The 'Red Glow' is the Firepower Boost option the Cruisers and the Tartan Patrol Ship inheret.
 Kurgan
01-22-2006, 8:41 PM
Okay, so I'm wondering if this is a bug in the game or a bug in the MODS for the demo...

The shots shouldn't go right through it, should they?
 swphreak
01-22-2006, 8:45 PM
Trantor transports? Do you mean the Imperial Landing Craft? I know in the one mod I played, there would be a bunch of them flying around and one imperial shuttle. I thought it was just fine. My fighters and bombers tookt hem out cake, and my bigger ships did fine. Perhaps it's just some glitch in your game. :/

Edit: perhaps your ships are just missing? I notice some of my bigger ships miss smaller ships.
 TaylorAtCTS
01-22-2006, 10:51 PM
i have faced the same thing....generally though it wasnt a big problem...and i never had to use area bombardment

i just got all my ships to fire on them at once and eventually they were destroyed..

i could easily be wrong but it seemed as though the shots were hitting...but not inflicting much dmg
 shadowsfm
01-23-2006, 8:09 AM
one a-wing squadron took out a lamda shuttle in 10 seconds in my game.
 Ra2er
01-23-2006, 9:01 AM
The shields regenerate quite fast for a transport ship so don't use fighters on their own, use a gunship or equivalent.
 Kazeite
01-23-2006, 10:08 AM
I have troubles with almost invincible transports as well (using mods). Not only Lambda shuttles, but with Rebel Transports as well. Once I tried to take over Kessel with regular army only, and stumbled upon the pirates. So, I had four transports which were effectively invincible - pirate ships couldn't destroy it.

It's not like they are completely invincible, but... very, very tough.

I wonder... maybe it was something done on purpose? One Empire tutorial mission gives you officer in Lambda shuttle, and I've noticed it's rather tough to destroy. So, maybe devs made this group of ships tougher than usual?

There's also trouble with Empire frigates... they are perhaps not invincible, but transparent to my cursor. I can see them, they can see me, but I can't target them. It's similiar to invincible station bug.
 jedi3112
01-23-2006, 11:11 AM
I had the same problem with the rebel transports as well, however it seems my TIEs can kill them, but my turbies won't hit them. The same goes for fighters, and the falcon. Is it just me or is that ship far too powerfull. My TIEs have some trouble keeping up (logical) but they also seem to have too much trouble hitting it (it takes far too long for the shields to drop). I got the ship nearly destroyed, but after that I was out of TIEs, I still had my original ships but none of them were suited to do the job. They are also nearly indestructable to the falcon and while they are can't be destroyed I can't get a fresh full load of TIEs in.
 Goldenshadow
01-23-2006, 2:50 PM
Do troop transports add to the space population count?
 Punisher2005
01-23-2006, 4:20 PM
Do troop transports add to the space population count?

I believe that the answer is yes and no.
Yes because they represent ground troops you are moving in space and no, because I don't think they are taking up any extra slots or anything and I don't think they take up any of you space asset allotment during battles. I think I will check on this later by sacrificing some of them to see if it opens up any new reinforments....
 Jabbas WhOr3
01-23-2006, 4:22 PM
I once attacked a planet with two transports only to find one rebel transport defending it, oh the joy of accelerated time as the 3 ships ran rings around the map chasing each other. My transports finally defeated the single loner but not after me shaking my head a few times thats for sure.
 bigred80_05
01-23-2006, 11:04 PM
this untargetable transport bug is one in the same with the untargetable space station bug. some units u cant target, some are extremely hard to destroy, and some are invincible but they all have the same charecteristics. i've noticed it with:
imp. space station
rebel medium transport
lambda shuttle
tartan patrol cruiser
 Hartmrolf
01-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I think they are supposed to be hard to hit by capital ships. But normal tie fighters or x wings kill them easily.
And Tartans, as much as i love and adore them for having repeatedly saved my isds from those pesky ywings, are not really tough, are they?
 Dark__Fett
01-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm experiencing the same bug. And Im not sure if certain units can inflict more damage than others...I had like 5 x-wing squads, 3 Y-wing squads, lots of bombers and ties, several SD's, Mon Cal, etc - all blasting away at them (stationary) and it still takes like 5 minutes. And to make it funner, you can't target them.

Is it just the people who experienced the fun Space Station bug who are also having trouble with this? Or is it everyone?
Bugs :(

-Fett
 DarkArjapa
01-25-2006, 10:27 AM
It's supposed to be that way in the demo. Fighters and corvettes/gunships are the best deal against transports. Capital ships' turbolasers will miss a lot, unless you modify it.

The file to modify is Hardpoints.xml, to make capital ships able to destroy transports more easily just modify
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 70.0 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
into
<Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance> Transport, 1.00 </Fire_Inaccuracy_Distance>
on each of the capital ship's hardpoints (turbolasers, ion cannons, etc) of your favourite faction and you should be set.
 xhh2a
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
same bug
 bigred80_05
01-25-2006, 1:52 PM
the bug is that those things are untargetable u cannot tell your units to attack them. u sorta have to put them next to each other. OR the other problem is they miss alot, every unit misses alot the weapons go right through
 DarkArjapa
01-25-2006, 6:33 PM
oh, in that case no idea. I'm only using chr0n1x's empire mod and i've never experienced it.
Page: 1 of 1