Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What if another company besides Obsidian and Bioware gets to create KotOR 3?

Page: 1 of 2
 The Source
01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
What if another company besides Obsidian and Bioware gets to create KotOR 3?
Lucas Arts themselves could try working on KotOR 3, or Petroglyph could get their chance. We keep looking at BioWare and Obsidian, and there are rumors that point to Obsidian. However, could another company be creating the next KotOR? Lucas Arts could decide to create the game inhouse.

Obsidian is a nice starter company. However, one cannot ignore the magazine statements about not having enough time, and placing blame on Lucas Arts. Could this have caused Lucas Arts to go with another company?

Why does it have to be Obsidian? Why could it not be 'Activision', or another gamming company? Microsoft?

What do you think? Could Obsidian be using fans to generate support, so Lucas Arts has no choice but to give them the project?

Is this unheard of?
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 1:25 PM
Well, no one knows for sure that it is OE. However, lookng at your candidates:

-Petroglyph: No way. They are made up of ex-Westwood emloyees, and as such are strategy experts.

-LucasArts inhouse: Possible, but very unlikely. They have too much riding on the KotOR series to afford another Gladius good game, commercial failure).

-Activision: Activision is a publisher, and doesn't really develop games as such. LEC wouldn't give its prize franchise away.

-Microsoft: Same as Activision.

It comes down to a proven developer of western rpgs; a field which has long since been dominated by BioWare, Obsidian/ Black isle and Bethesda (busy with Oblivion and Fallout3).
 Clone L68362
01-21-2006, 2:05 PM
I just wondered what a Blizzard KOTOR would be like.
 Master Kavar
01-21-2006, 2:19 PM
I just wondered what a Blizzard KOTOR would be like.

Or how about a Square-Enix kotor? Nobody said it had to be a western gaming company (Atleast I don't think so. o.O)
 RobQel-Droma
01-21-2006, 2:20 PM
I don't really mind, as long as it sticks with the basic style of the other games and is a good story. In fact, it might not be bad if anothere company makes it. KOTOR and TSL were great games, and they both were a bit different in the gameplay. It might give the game a new feel, if you know what I mean.
 Alkonium
01-21-2006, 2:22 PM
If it were to happen, I'd like to see it done by either Lionhead(Fable, Black and White), or possibly Arenanet(Guild Wars).
 The Source
01-21-2006, 2:22 PM
I don't know the difference between what company is a publisher, and what company is a developer in the game industry.

I don't think it would be illogical if another famous company was given the reigns to do another KotOR.

Blizzard is a intresting company, and I loved their Diablo series. I have not played "World of WarCraft'. I think they make their character very small. If they tried to do something different, out side of stretegy games, I wouldn't mind seeing what they could do. However, I would worry about the size of characters and worlds... I wouldn't leave them out of the choices though.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 2:35 PM
I think that it takes a bit more to get a good game than simply adding the successful name of "KotOR" with the name of an otherwise successful developer.

I think I would stop my involvement on this site the very day Square Enix would announce hey are working on KotOR 3. While they might make good jrpgs and have a lot of fans, I couldn't imagine any worse choice for Knights than them. I for my part don't want to play a metro-sexual looking (sorry, but FF X and XII just went a bit to far in that area ;) ) 10 year old kind out to save the galaxy in a series of random fights that you can't see on the map. Yes, this sounds very stereotypical; I guess you got the message that I don't want to see this collaboration happen!

Lionhead is talented developer, no doubt. But somehow they always fall short of their lofty aims. After having been draw into the hype for both Black & White and Fable, and having consequently been disappointed by both (not that they were bad games; both were great, but too much promises were not fulfilled) I am growing wary of anything Molyneux promises.

As for Arena.net; well, Guild Wars is a stellar achievement, no doubt. But seeing how they are totally multiplayer focused, I am not sure if a KotOR made by them would turn out great. But it would most likely have an incredible art direction ;)

And finaly Blizzard: call me biter, but i would prefer them to finally get the european WoW servers stable (it has only been a year...) before looking into anything else...

Of course, there are just my opinions. Now to the facts: Square Enix, Blizzard and Aren.net are all out of the equation. SE is a publisher itself; they don't do contract work for anybody else. Same with Blizzard; they are a semi-publisher, and work with Vivendi. Arena.ne is in leage with NC Soft.
 IndianaSolo
01-21-2006, 4:51 PM
I'd rather a different company not get KOTOR3. It's got to be either Obsidian or Bioware, or IMO, it just won't have the KOTOR feel.

Both have extensive knowledge of the setting and both understand the story. A third party coming in now might not "get" the story and the events that have transpired as well as Bioware or Obsidian would.
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-21-2006, 5:25 PM
Don't forget that some OE employees were with Bioware when Kotor was made. That kind of connection didn't make me nervous when TSL was in development at OE. They had people already familar with the first game.
 The Source
01-21-2006, 5:48 PM
Don't forget that some OE employees were with Bioware when Kotor was made. That kind of connection didn't make me nervous when TSL was in development at OE. They had people already familar with the first game.
I did not know this! Did you know that many of them created: 'Vampire The Masqurade: Bloodliines'.
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 6:26 PM
Huh? Vampire was created by Troika, and was just finished shortly prior to KotOR II...
 The Source
01-21-2006, 6:29 PM
Huh? Vampire was created by Troika, and was just finished shortly prior to KotOR II...
Yeah! After they created "Vampire' some of the joined Obsidian. They didn't work on KotOR 2, but they ended up being hired over at OE.
 IndianaSolo
01-21-2006, 6:51 PM
Yeah! After they created "Vampire' some of the joined Obsidian. They didn't work on KotOR 2, but they ended up being hired over at OE.

That's slightly incorrect. I believe some of them went over to Obsidian after Troika closed its doors, or went over when they (the employees of Troika) knew the end was coming.

And I believe it was only one or two of them.
 jmac7142
01-21-2006, 7:07 PM
What about EA? :xp:
 Com Raven
01-21-2006, 7:50 PM
EA is of course (thankfully!) out of the equation as well ;)
 Darth Windu
01-21-2006, 9:48 PM
So what if someone other than Obsidian or Bioware makes KotOR3? I remember being dissapointed that in TSL your character wouldn't be Revan, and that Bioware wasn't doing it, yet TSL turned out to be a good (if incomplete) game.
 JediMaster12
01-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I think I'll stick with the majority on expecting the devs to be Bioware or Obsidian. I may be placing blind faith in them but hey, they are familiar with the games and I think either one would be a suitable choice.
 stingerhs
01-21-2006, 10:24 PM
if anybody does it, i honestly think it would be OE. Bioware did a great job with the first game, but if they had truely wanted the Kotor series to be their series, they would have done Kotor 2 instead of Jade Empire. lets face it: Bioware is getting so big now that they've been considering going public (becoming a publicly traded company through the stock exchange). if they had truely wanted to do any further Kotor games, they would've done Kotor 2.

as far as anybody else doing Kotor 3, i'd put my money squarely on OE and be done with it. any other developer doing Kotor 3 just doesn't make a lot of sense.
 Master Dakari
01-22-2006, 12:12 AM
What about EA? :p

Forgive me, but I suddenly invisioned the KotOR series being deminished into nothing more than a SW-based football game! :cry8:
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
01-22-2006, 12:58 AM
If EA got ahold of it you might see them smash battlefront and kotor together with BF2 software :xp:

OE makes the most sense, switching companies the first time was probably in some part responsible for incompletions.

If OE and BIO went bankrupt, my picks would be Valve, Bungie, or Ubisoft (just try and dispute their best work :xp: )
 Com Raven
01-22-2006, 5:54 AM
Well, all of those are very successful developers...

But none of them has any experience wih rpgs, so I think I'll pass ;)
 Darth InSidious
01-22-2006, 8:52 AM
You're all wrong.

It's gonna be Interplay, for sure.
 JediMaster12
01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
So certain are you? Hmm?
 Com Raven
01-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey, who knows, maybe Interplay will develop another game some day :)
 The Source
01-23-2006, 11:51 AM
So what if someone other than Obsidian or Bioware makes KotOR3? I remember being dissapointed that in TSL your character wouldn't be Revan, and that Bioware wasn't doing it, yet TSL turned out to be a good (if incomplete) game.
I was also upset to find out that you could not play Revan. However, I couldn't see how they could do that. Revan would have to loose his/her powers again inorder to start over...
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-23-2006, 2:54 PM
Interplay?!?! I can just see it, kotor3 you get to explore the planet of Earthworm Jims! :)

Honestly though, OE should make kotor3. Bioware is busy making other games, and they didn't want to do TSL. So forget Bioware.

If OE doesn't do kotor3,(and I'm just saying if) Bungie would be interesting. They're attention to detail in the Halo series is exceptional. No, they haven't done a RPG yet, but I think they could pull it off. A Bungie kotor would be interesting.

Should OE do kotor3? Yes.

If they don't, should LA offer the job to Bungie? I think they should.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-23-2006, 3:05 PM
Interplay?!?! I can just see it, kotor3 you get to explore the planet of Earthworm Jims! :)If they included the Giant Mutant Hamsters.. I'd play it.. :xp: hehehe.. "Grooovy!"...

I hope that either OE or Bioware are the companies entrusted to this (hopefully) gem of a game... to me, they would seem to have the most "grasp" of the storyline thus far... somehow including a 3rd developer for a 3rd installment doesn't sound like a great idea to me (imo)...

Sure, I could've said the same thing about OE taking K2.. but even Bioware suggested LA to use OE (since they were busy with their own projects)...

In any case.. I guess my biggest hope is that K3 gets made in the first place.. hehehe.. *crosses fingers*
 Com Raven
01-23-2006, 3:08 PM
Well, witht he slight roadblock that Bungie is part of Microsoft that und thus unavailable for LucasArts, it would be intersting to see ;)
 Jae Onasi
01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Crossing my fingers hoping K3 will get made, too!

I'm not so concerned about the actual company making it so much as making sure that some of the _people_ who worked on 1 and/or 2 are also involved in 3 for the sake of continuity.
 Com Raven
01-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Crossing my fingers hoping K3 will get made, too!

I'm not so concerned about the actual company making it so much as making sure that some of the _people_ who worked on 1 and/or 2 are also involved in 3 for the sake of continuity.

Well, in that case you better hope that it is made by the same developer^^
 JediMaster12
01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Seconded. But I'm with Jae Onasi, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for KOTOR 3.
 Com Raven
01-24-2006, 4:25 PM
Yeah, let us hope your fingers may be heard sometime soon ;)
 Alkonium
01-24-2006, 4:32 PM
What about EA? :xp:
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NEVER!
If EA touches anything Star Wars, I will do something uncredibly drastic that I will likely regret.
 JediMaster12
01-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Calm yourself. There is no emotion, there is peace. Don't blow a head gasket.
 Ztalker
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Has anyone compared OE, Lionhead and Bioware with eachother?
Bioware made Neverwinter Nights, and the last expansion was done by OE. The story was worse then the one from the main campaign, but it featured much, much more weapons, armors, quest and gameplay compared to the original.
Same goes for Kotor 2. It's better then Kotor 1 in EVERY facet, except storyline.

lionhead, the studio of Peter Molyneux, has proven itself already with games as Fable, The Movies, Black and White. They are masters of inoovative gameplay, however, and Kotor rules aren't to be broken, because of the Dungeons and Dragons rules.

And about the EA thing: No...it's just wrong. It would end up like the rest of the series EA has. Kotor 2006, Kotor Underground etc would just destroy Starwars.

In my op:
Since Bioware won't do it, OE will be the best replacement. If they fix their main problem, the storylines, they can, and will create a superb game.
(See screens of Neverwinter Nights 2, and you'll agree ;) )
 XoRRoX
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
EA's new KOTOR Game.

The story is simple - destroy the Sith. Lot's of good graphic, and with the great "nitro" function, there makes you do tricks 500% better! You can also the trough walls, and destory the Sitsh with the mighty: "Master Force Destroy" there makes your ememy destroy himself.

Sounds not nice...

OE has done it great, better then i hoped, with KOTOR 2, so i will hope, that they will do it again :)
 Vibro
01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
To be honest I don't care who creates it. As long as it's a good game (deserving of it's title) then I'll be happy.

If it is in production I'd like to see some announcements, give the fans something to look forward to. Perhaps release some plot ideas etc. Rather than all this endless speculation.
 JediMaster12
01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I guess this means you wouldn't mind mutant hamsters just as long as the game is good? I think I'll resign to that but I still have a thought that OE will be the dev. I don't have proof except for TSL and what people have said about some Bioware employees at OE. I guess we just have to wait and see who makes the announcements.
 Vibro
01-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I guess this means you wouldn't mind mutant hamsters just as long as the game is good?

Indeed it does. If the game is enjoyable, then does it really matter who made it?
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-25-2006, 3:04 PM
I guess I would qualify as "what people". :)

I read in an issue of Gamepro, many, many moons ago, that OE had agreed to make TSL. They also said that they were familiar with the first game and that they had 1 or 2 employees that were part of the Bioware effort to make the first game. I can't remember which issue it was, but the one things that I remember is that info. Don't quote me on if it was 1, 2, or 10 employees. I can't remember anymore. :)
 Shem
01-25-2006, 8:52 PM
Why does it have to be Obsidian? Why could it not be 'Activision', or another gamming company? Microsoft?

What do you think? Could Obsidian be using fans to generate support, so Lucas Arts has no choice but to give them the project?

It doesn't have to be Obsidian. Mike Gallo is most likely going to be apart of this no matter who makes the game.
 Jackel
01-26-2006, 2:14 AM
EA is of course (thankfully!) out of the equation as well ;)
EA already has a hand in KOTOR. It is the publisher. Check both games.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NEVER!
If EA touches anything Star Wars, I will do something uncredibly drastic that I will likely regret.
Too late :D see above.

I just find it funny so many are bashing EA when if they took 5 seconds they would see who LA got to publish the game.
 Darth InSidious
01-26-2006, 4:51 AM
Interplay was a joke, especially since their current total cash holding are all of $8 USD :D

Seriously, I'd like to see this game done if not by Bioware/OE, Lionhead would be nice, but they're busy I suspect with Fable II.
 Snakey
01-26-2006, 5:04 AM
Anyone think Level 5 could develop it?
 Ztalker
01-26-2006, 8:19 AM
EA already has a hand in KOTOR. It is the publisher. Check both games.

NO!!! WHY!!!!
They already 'have' Half Life and Resident Evil, one of the few not-commercial cr*p-games :(
I could have expected it though, since EA's marketvalue is 6 Billion dollar atm.
They couldn't have reached it without Kotor, Resident Evil etc.
By the way...did anyone see the cynical part of their name?
Electronic ARTS. I don't call it an art to re-release the same game every year, with a different title :p
I'll get the pitchforks, who joins me?

On the subject:
I think the Kotor series was one of the best SW games they ever made, and one that wasn't marked as 'Cash machine.' I think they are still planning Part 3.
 Prime
01-26-2006, 9:06 AM
EA already has a hand in KOTOR. It is the publisher. Check both games.KOTOR and TSL are published, not surprisingly, by Lucasarts. Actually, I'm not sure that there are any recent era SW games that aren't published by Lucasarts.
 JediMaster12
01-26-2006, 9:18 AM
You're right because the Star Wars universe is Lucas' baby. Of course his company would have the copyright on anything SW. They would have to select the company to develop it anyway. LA would have full say.
 Darth Windu
01-27-2006, 7:51 AM
Well I don't know about anyone else, but in the back of my TSL manual it says that for technical support, contact Electronic Arts.
 Prime
01-27-2006, 8:23 AM
Which is unrelated to publishing. ;)
Page: 1 of 2