Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Obsidian hiring for multi-platform Action RPG

Page: 1 of 2
 Com Raven
01-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Check out the latest news post on the main site, and feel free to tell us if you think this has anything to do with IGNs predictions about an action-based KotOR III.
 Hallucination
01-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Call me blind, but I can't seem to find it. A link would be very helpful, if you have the time to post one.
 Com Raven
01-15-2006, 12:29 PM
In fact, it is the top news item ;)

So, you read the bit below about Obsidian Entertainment doing a pure action-combat KotOR 3? Laughed about how crazy that ideas sounds? Alright, then you might be prepared to read this ;)

It seems that Obsidian is hiring a Audio Programmer for an unannounced game. Not too exciting in itself.

It gets more interesting once you look at the details:
Audio Programmer - PS3, XBOX 360, PC
Unannounced - 3rd Person, ACTION, RPG

So, a few days after IGN (who are despite some occasional wacky predictions still a great source for gaming news) proclaims a Xbox360 action-based KotOR 3, we find that Obsidian (the most likely candidate for KotOR 3 since BioWare is busy with its own IPs) is working on an action rpg for the 360, PC (a sure bet for any future KotORs) and the PS3 (with the PS3 having a HDD this time around, a port seems likely).

Feel free to draw your own conclusions, and to discuss them along with the rest of the community on our KotOR III Boards.
 Vaelastraz
01-15-2006, 12:39 PM
If they dont turn in into Kotor III- Diablo in star wars..
Action rpg? i hope that isnt true

I dont care if they make if for the 360, PS3 or any other console as long as they make if for the PC first. IMO consoles are crap and the 360 is also IMO.

Edited by CR: Please refrain fro such comments on a board that is intended for both console as well as PC owners.

Kotor III will hopefully be available in .. let's say January 2007? :)
 Hallucination
01-15-2006, 12:43 PM
While this does sound like something that could be K3, the fact that the PS3 is in there is giving me some doubts. Good job finding the info, but there just isn't enough (IMO) to get any conclusions yet. Maybe their getting ready to make Mass Effect 2:xp:.
 Clone L68362
01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Didn't Bioware make Mass Effect?
 Com Raven
01-15-2006, 1:09 PM
BioWare makes all 3 Mass Effect games.
I would bet a lot that the PS3 get KotOR 3. The only reason there was no PS2 KotOR was the lack of a hard-drive (20mb save files).

Vaelastraz, don't make any flame-bait coments lke that on a shared PC/Xbox Board.
 Hallucination
01-15-2006, 1:37 PM
Didn't Bioware make Mass Effect?
I was joking. I said it because Obsidian seems to be making sequels to Bioware games (KOTOR and Neverwinter Knights)
 Emperor Devon
01-15-2006, 3:05 PM
I think this link will sufficiently describe my reaction to an action-based KotOR III. (http://darthno.ytmnd.com/)
 Jackel
01-15-2006, 3:28 PM
I would say this is for OE's own IP that they been wanting to do for a while. And now they (have done/are doing) a couple of bigs games they should have enough money (depending on a publishing deal of course) to go ahead and begin (do further) work on it.
 Com Raven
01-15-2006, 4:13 PM
I can't remember Obsidian saying anything about their own IP. You have a link to that, by chance?
 Achilles
01-15-2006, 4:31 PM
I think he's referring to project new jersey, which (I believe) OE said would not be a sequel. I gave up following PNJ months ago, so much could have changed.
 The Source
01-15-2006, 5:39 PM
I can't remember Obsidian saying anything about their own IP. You have a link to that, by chance?
Well! You missed a lot actually. When I was over at Obsidian Ent, I started to talk to Joseph Bulock. He mentioned that 'Project New Jersey' is there own IP. Now, from what I gather, they are working on several games. However, the fans are mixing the facts up... There is a thread in Obsidian Ent's forums called 'Was it Worth It', and another one called 'Interogate the Developer - Was It Worth It." They were once one thread. During our conversation in the original thread, he accidently let some secrets out about the new RPG. After he made the statements, I PMed him, and told him he made a mistake. He raced back to the thread, and seperated the original 'Was it Worth it' thread. In the process there were four to five posts that revaeled some intresting details. I decided to go back to the post, and I was only able to get the original posts that started our conversation. I held onto the post in a word document before it was deleted. It is a simple statement, but it does reveale some intresting things. Joe's reply can still be found in the thread, but it is worthless without seeing the original question that another visitor had asked. Even the poster said that he messed up.

It was pretty funny....His bosses showed up, so he had to work fast in correcting the problem...

Interogate The Developer - Was it Worth It 2
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39422&st=0)

Post # 7 - In this post a visitor pickup on the type of game.
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39422&st=0#)

Was it Worth It (Original Thread) Battlewookie severed the thread in Post #28
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=39326&pid=528543&st=15&#entry528543)
 kookaburra
01-16-2006, 4:03 AM
I really hope they're working on KIII. The hanging is killing me.
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks a lot MacLeodCorp :)
 Prime
01-16-2006, 10:55 AM
I wonder if K3 will be console only...
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Thank you Com Raven.

I believe it will drop first for consoles, most likely 360.
PC will follow shortly after.

merged both of your posts ;) For future reference, if you wish to add something to your post (rather than double-post), please use the "edit this" function to the lower right. ~ ChAiNz.2da
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 1:32 PM
No way it will be console exclusive; LEC has too much money riding on this franchise's multi-plattform monetary success.
 Prime
01-16-2006, 2:02 PM
No way it will be console exclusive; LEC has too much money riding on this franchise's multi-plattform monetary success.You are probably right. I just get paranoid. ;)
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 2:07 PM
Yeah, and seeing how the 360 shares a lot of tools with PC gaming, I think the releases might actually be pretty close to each other.
 The Source
01-16-2006, 2:53 PM
Thanks a lot MacLeodCorp :)
Since he has only been on the job for about six months, he could have gotten fired for it.
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 3:12 PM
Let's hope not^^
 Bob Lion54
01-16-2006, 3:27 PM
Interesting news. Not much in itself, but its still good to hear.

Hopefully, its K3 but its really too early too tell. It could be anything from K3 to a new internal project.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't looking for a PC audio programmer point to a game being released on PC, or do I misunderstand the job?
 The Source
01-16-2006, 3:35 PM
Interesting news. Not much in itself, but its still good to hear.

Hopefully, its K3 but its really too early too tell. It could be anything from K3 to a new internal project.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't looking for a PC audio programmer point to a game being released on PC, or do I misunderstand the job?
I found the job postiing, but I also didn't see any connection. The posting just described the basic elements of what they would be responsible for... Nothing more..
 The Source
01-16-2006, 3:36 PM
Let's hope not^^
I had to say something! I didn't want him to get into trouble...
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-16-2006, 3:37 PM
You know, it's hard to determine if he was refering to Kotor3 as PNJ. Obsidian has done sequels for 2 of Bioware's games. Could PNJ possibly be Jade Empire 2? (God I hope not!)
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 3:42 PM
Nope, BioWare is doing Jade Empire 2. There is no immeadite connection, but I found the timing remarkable. As I said in the post, this might be nothing; make up your own mind about it ;)
 The Source
01-16-2006, 4:04 PM
You know, it's hard to determine if he was refering to Kotor3 as PNJ. Obsidian has done sequels for 2 of Bioware's games. Could PNJ possibly be Jade Empire 2? (God I hope not!)

This doesn't say much, but one can make their own conclusions:
The original post that started it all:(From 'Was it Worht It Thread:)

PNJ will also likely sell well (but not as well as either NWN2 or KOTOR2) since it is not based on a popualr license nor is it a sequel to a popular game.

I wouldn't be so sure of that one. PNJ is one of the most interesting games I've seen in a very long time, and while it may not have the exact same fan base of NWN2, I think it might surprise a lot of people.

"wouldn't be so sure of that one. PNJ is one of the most interesting games I've seen in a very long time, and while it may not have the exact same fan base of NWN2, I think it might surprise a lot of people."

Are you saying we're wrong in PNJ is based on a known and popular license?

Because, as good as PNJ might be, I don't it selling as well as either KOTOR2 or NWN2 without that backing. Of course, there are exceptions to the 'rule' I stated.

But, sicne I don't know much, I cna't say much else on it.

Just tell us all the info so we can make a reasonable educated guess. :)

When reading Joe's post, one can make some intresting conclusions about this game....
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-16-2006, 4:14 PM
Well call me naive, but I contacted OE a week ago and they said Lucasarts haven't even contacted them about making a third Kotor. Maybe I'm wrong and they just blew me off, who knows. If they are developing Kotor3.... HURRY UP ALREADY OE!!!!!!:)
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 4:21 PM
Well, if they told you the truth, then no, OE won't be making KotOR 3 at all...
 Soogz
01-16-2006, 4:54 PM
I wouldn't get it if it was an action based kotor.
 Emperor Devon
01-16-2006, 5:03 PM
HURRY UP ALREADY OE!!!!!!:)

Lucasarts hurried OE along with KotOR II, and look what happened... OE should take just as much time as they need to make the game, but they should definitely hurry up on an official anouncement.

Nope, BioWare is doing Jade Empire 2

They're making a Jade Empire II? I never heard anything about that.
 The Source
01-16-2006, 5:04 PM
I wouldn't get it if it was an action based kotor.If it had real-time action in it, they could keep the essence of an RPG. If they turned the KotOR series into an action based game, then it will no longer be an RPG. In the latter, the game will simulate Episode III the game... Not cool... I liked Episode III the video game, but KotOR is an RPG...
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 5:20 PM
BioWare has two 360 teams; one doing Mass Effect, the other doing Jade Empire II.
Remember, we never said that Obsidian is definitely doing KotOR III; it is a possibillity, nothing more :)
 Char Ell
01-16-2006, 5:40 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that LucasArts has made a serious change of course with their marketing of KotOR?

Consider how the development of KotOR was communicated. The gaming community was getting inside scoop on KotOR in 2001, two years before the game was released! I can't help but think that giving the gaming community tidbits of tantalizing info during the course of development only helped with the record sales that KotOR made. Then KotOR: TSL was officially announced at E3 2004 and went gold six months later. And now? We're relegated to sifting the Internet for news on KotOR 3, trying to figure out if a job posting has relevance to KotOR 3 or not. It just seems strange to me that a game series that started with advance communication to the gaming community has now gone into deaf and dumb mode.

Links to LucasArts press releases relevant to KotOR series (IMO)
2002 February 28 - LucasArts chooses Xbox and PC as platforms for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/46.html)
2003 May 2 - LucasArts announces Fall 2003 release for PC version of critically hailed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/70.html)
2003 July 9 - LucasArts announces July 16 retail release of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the Xbox (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/79.html)
2003 August 1 - LucasArts Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic posts record sales in first two weeks of release (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/80.html)
2004 May 4 - LucasArts E3 2004 lineup to include Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/88.html) (announced release for Xbox and PC in February 2005)
2004 July 22 - LucasArts names John Geoghegan Vice President, Marketing (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/90.html)
2004 November 23 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords goes gold (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/95.html)
2005 February 8 - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for the PC in stores on February 10 (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/97.html)
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 5:47 PM
Whow knows, there might be an announcement soon for all we know.
 Char Ell
01-16-2006, 6:20 PM
Whow knows, there might be an announcement soon for all we know.
And that is precisely my point. Who knows? In early 2002 everyone knew that KotOR was scheduled to come out in late 2003. There was much speculation about what type of combat the game would use, how the game would handle multiplayer support, et al. And of course many people guessed wrong BUT we knew that the game was in development. Now? Not so much.

Does anyone really know that KotOR 3 is in development? Not to my knowledge. I just think it would be a curious and unfortunate turn of events if KotOR 3 is made and is officially announced 6 months before release when the original KotOR marketing strategy of seriously advanced communication seems to have done so well. What's that old proverb? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
 Com Raven
01-16-2006, 6:31 PM
Do we know that KotOR is in development as in having seen it with our own eyes? No.

Do we have a strong hunch based on a series of hints over the lat few months? Definitely.
 Clone L68362
01-16-2006, 8:08 PM
Yeah, don't worry about it so much, we'll learn something soon I'm sure. The 360 is rather new, surely we'll learn something in the next few months...if we end up in September/October with no news, we can start freakin out.
 Steve-O Kreesh
01-16-2006, 8:14 PM
Hints and speculation hold no water in the world of gaming. For all we know PNJ could be a game about picking up girls at the Jersey Shore. :) Until someone makes some sort of announcement, whether it be OE, Bioware, or Lucasarts, all we can is throw theories at each other. Not that it isn't fun! :)
 Prime
01-17-2006, 8:09 AM
Well call me naive, but I contacted OE a week ago and they said Lucasarts haven't even contacted them about making a third Kotor. Maybe I'm wrong and they just blew me off, who knows. If they are developing Kotor3.... HURRY UP ALREADY OE!!!!!!:)They would never tell you if they had. :)
 Darth InSidious
01-17-2006, 9:35 AM
I won't believe that KotOR III has been developed until I hear the news from LA themselves, personally. Everything else is suspicion, nothing else.
 Com Raven
01-17-2006, 3:29 PM
Well, that trusting attitude won't get you too far I think ;)
 Char Ell
01-17-2006, 5:01 PM
Yeah, don't worry about it so much, we'll learn something soon I'm sure. The 360 is rather new, surely we'll learn something in the next few months...if we end up in September/October with no news, we can start freakin out.
Meh, I'm not worried about it. Based off of how LA announced TSL, I really don't expect to hear any official Kotor 3 announcements until this year's E3 at the earliest. If LA releases KotOR 3 for the PC this year then I'll buy it for sure. If next year then I'll probably still buy it. If it takes until 2008 then I'm not sure. I may very well have moved on to something else by then.

But based off the thread responses after I posed the somewhat off-topic question...
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that LucasArts has made a serious change of course with their marketing of KotOR?I believe the answer is one of the following:
(A) nobody noticed
(B) nobody cares that LA has changed their KotOR marketing strategy
(C) it's just me.

At this point I'm thinking (B) :) :giveup:
 Clone L68362
01-17-2006, 6:12 PM
Or nobody thought it was worthy of a response just yet, when it's really too early to say they've changed their marketing strategy. As I said, there's a lot of games to be made for 360.
 kookaburra
01-17-2006, 6:53 PM
if this is Kotor III and its on PS3 it would be totally silly to have it on that console when its previous games didn't even come on PS2.
 Com Raven
01-18-2006, 2:38 PM
In a new generation, new cards are handed out. A lot of people who didn't get a Xbox will get a 360, and a lot of those will be playing KotOR3. Same holds true for the PS3 if they get a K3.
 VincentFreeman
01-18-2006, 3:58 PM
They are in fact working on three new titles, one being an IP, which is Project New Jersey, one being NWN 2, and the third is an unannounced next-gen console action-RPG title, speculated to be KoTOR 3. However IGN is reporting that according to a source close to the development team, Obsidian may not have sealed the deal yet for KOTOR 3.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/681/681657p1.html)
 Com Raven
01-18-2006, 4:17 PM
Yeah, I planned to post that link myself^^

Good find though Vincent :)
 JediMaster12
01-18-2006, 5:16 PM
Patience! That is the Jedi way. I've resigned myself to wait for a LucasArts announcement.

Pass some popcorn, my favorite show is on.
Page: 1 of 2