Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Clues about Revan's choice

Page: 1 of 1
 kotorfan84
12-26-2005, 10:12 PM
A lot of you guys want to be able to choose weather or not the Revan and the Exile were good or evil and weather they were male or female, but I think more than likely any game the links the two previous games will need to give us some sort of difinative story line. I'm not sure if anyone has ever posted this, but on the kotor II site it has a star wars chronicle, which pretty much says Revan turned back to the dark side.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/indexLight.html) go to game info and then Chronicles

Part XI reads.....Time frame: 3,956 B.B.Y.
Period name: Knights of the Old Republic

The Republic verges on collapse. DARTH MALAK, last surviving apprentice of Dark Lord Revan, has unleashed an invincible Sith armada upon an unsuspecting galaxy. Crushing all resistance, Malak's war of conquest has left the Jedi Order scattered and vulnerable as countless Knights fall in battle and many more swear allegiance to their new Sith Master. In the skies above the Outer Rim world of Taris, a Jedi battle fleet engages the forces of Darth Malak in a desperate effort to halt the Sith's galactic domination. During the battle, one of the crippled space craft jettisons Jedi BASTILA SHAN, after fighting valiantly against a boarding party including Malak's new apprentice, DARTH BANDON. Her escape pod is located in the Undercity of Taris by a human suffering from amnesia, Mandalorian Wars hero CARTH ONASI, a Twi'Lek scoundrel and native of Taris, MISSION VAO, and her Wookiee companion, ZAALBAR. Seeking refuge, the legendary smuggling ship EBON HAWK is appropriated from Taris underworld boss Davik Kang, and piloted to the Jedi Enclave of DANTOOINE. Soon afterwards, the human amnesiac begins to exhibit impressive use of the Force, and is trained by Jedi Master ZHAR LESTIN.

After a number of dangerous and foolhardy missions throughout the galaxy in search of cartographical tools known as Star Maps, the members of this small alliance are detected and detained on the gigantic Interdictor-class Star Cruiser Flagship LEVIATHAN under the command of Admiral SAUL KARATH. Karath was a pivotal Republic figure only five years previously, winning victories over the Mandalorians, but recently declared the Republic not worthy of his support. After an impressive display of guile, the alliance was released from the ship's brig, and attempted a full-scale assault of the bridge, fatally wounding Karath. During the escape, however, Bastila and the amnesiac Jedi Knight are waylaid by the appearance of DARTH MALAK, who reveals that the Knight is in fact DARTH REVAN, his old Master. Escaping to the UNKNOWN WORLD of the Rakata, Bastila turns on Revan, and after a climactic battle, Revan learns of Malak's plan to harness a nearby sun using an ancient Rakata space station known as the STAR FORGE, and use this energy to increase production of his Sith forces. Revan vows to slay his ex-apprentice before Malak's power becomes too great.

Personally I don't think a Jedi would vow to slay anyone, but this isn't much proof as to what Revan decided to do. I believe a true jedi, especially one who has turned from the dark side would vow to defeat or stop Malak but not slay.

Part XII reads.......ime frame: 3,955 - 3,953 B.B.Y.
Period name: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

It is a period of uncertainty across the galaxy. After a long and vicious battle in the deepest area of the STAR FORGE, Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War. Journeying to the Outer Rim in the EBON HAWK, Revan is focused withlocating the source of the dark power on MALACHOR V. Those awaiting Revan's arrival, including members of the Sith and the Jedi, are shocked when he fails to return from this pilgrimage. It is unknown whether Revan destroyed or resurrected the primal Sith forces on this forbidden planetoid.

The rest of part 12 has more to do with KOTOR 2, but the fact that they actually refer to Revan as the Dark Lord of the Sith probably means we remained evil. Not to mention he's looking to return to Malachor, could be to destroy it but probably not.
 The Doctor
12-26-2005, 11:44 PM
I believe that the article was writenn so that it could be interpreted either way, for some reason. But just to make things more clear:

"Revan vows to slay his ex-apprentice before Malak's power becomes too great."
Canonically speaking, this means that Revan vowed to kill his former apprentice before he could destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy. "Slay" is usually used to say that you are going to kill someone, but there is no other choice. The only way to stop Malak was to kill him. That was clear in my mind from the very beginning.

Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War. Journeying to the Outer Rim in the EBON HAWK, Revan is focused withlocating the source of the dark power on MALACHOR V.
This isn't saying that he wanted to use those powers again, but to destroy them, again, canonically speaking. He is focused on finding the dark power again so that he can stop it before another Sith Lord discovers it and trys to take over the galaxy.

could be to destroy it but probably not.
"But probably not"? Please elaborate on this point.
 Hallucination
12-27-2005, 12:29 AM
So this proves that Revan did something? I think we already knew that. 'Slay' isn't evil, it just depends on what you're slaying. Revan going to where he and his friends used to hang out and chase girls (or boys, depending on what way Revan went/gender), to alternatively destroy it or use it's secrets doesn't sound evil.
 kotorfan84
12-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I believe that the article was writenn so that it could be interpreted either way, for some reason. But just to make things more clear:

"Revan vows to slay his ex-apprentice before Malak's power becomes too great."
Canonically speaking, this means that Revan vowed to kill his former apprentice before he could destroy the Jedi and take over the galaxy. "Slay" is usually used to say that you are going to kill someone, but there is no other choice. The only way to stop Malak was to kill him. That was clear in my mind from the very beginning.

Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War. Journeying to the Outer Rim in the EBON HAWK, Revan is focused withlocating the source of the dark power on MALACHOR V.
This isn't saying that he wanted to use those powers again, but to destroy them, again, canonically speaking. He is focused on finding the dark power again so that he can stop it before another Sith Lord discovers it and trys to take over the galaxy.

"But probably not"? Please elaborate on this point.

I said probably not b/c they actually refer to Revan as Dark Lord of the Sith Revan. They could've just said Revan succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK, but gave him the tiltle Dark Lord of the Sith.
 The Doctor
12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Because Revan was the Dark Lord of the Sith before Malak. That is what he is well known for - betraying the Republic as Darth Revan. It never explicitly says that Revan was the Dark Lord of the Sith after he killed Malak.
 RobQel-Droma
12-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Please, not another "lets get rid of choosing Revan's gender and alignment" thread. Anyways, since you are focusing on this stuff, I agree with the Doctor. It was meant to be left open so that you could determine it either way. You could say Revan was LS and it would work in the chronicles.
 BattleDog
12-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I thought it was written from an in universe point of view by someone who didn't understand what went on. At any rate the cononical version was decided long ago, LS Male.
 JediMaster12
01-05-2006, 3:26 PM
Are you so certain?
 Darth InSidious
01-05-2006, 4:37 PM
St. George "slayed" a dragon, according to legend. Does that make him evil?
 Gray_Master
01-05-2006, 5:20 PM
Maybe I just misread everything =P happens to me alot, but anyway..Star Wars Databank states that Reven was LS Male as the accepted history of the Star Wars EU...but because KOTOR is an expanding RPG means that Revens Role plays on the path the Exile took and will play on the path of the new char in III one Role affects the other so to say "Reven should just be LS Male in the game" or DS or whatever, would take away the building of your char...remember KOTOR is highly based on influence and the role it plays in char develpment.....yes I ramble any way all I'm saying is it is important to be able to decide Reven's path and gender for the development of your char.
 JediMaster12
01-09-2006, 5:07 PM
Keep going Gray_Master I think you're on to something.
 Cygnus Q'ol
01-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Ahem, it's an RPG...

Revan is who I say he is.
What I mean is, the player develops the character, so it matters not what the cover of the game or the comics say.

Am I wrong if to me Revan is DS female?
 JediMaster12
01-11-2006, 12:49 PM
No, not according to the gameplay of KOTOR
 BattleDog
01-12-2006, 5:00 AM
But then again TSL basically assumes Revan went LS, with just a few nods to the dark side.
 JediMasterDeath
01-12-2006, 5:42 AM
LMFA, close this thread, its just offedening to everything that KOTOR stands for.
Choice
Period
End of Thread
 Darth InSidious
01-12-2006, 1:24 PM
But then again TSL basically assumes Revan went LS, with just a few nods to the dark side.

Umm...no it doesn't. In fact, the first convo you have about Revan, Atton basically assumes that Revan was DSF. You choose Revan's path. There is no assumption, and if there is, it is irrelevant. You will be assimilated.

JediMasterDeath, your post is offensively worded, IMO. If you don't like this thread, don't read it. It's your choice.
 JediMaster12
01-12-2006, 5:20 PM
Kudos to you! Yes you do decide who Revan is in that conversation with Atton when you first meet him.
 The Doctor
01-12-2006, 5:32 PM
Are you so certain?
Yes, we are so certain.
From what I understand of your question, you didn't understand what was said. Revan is canonically LS Male. That is how the he is recognized in the Star Wars continuity line. That is not to say that someone who played Revan as DS is an abomination - it's their game, they can play it however they want.
 JediMaster12
01-13-2006, 5:28 PM
Ah I see. What do they say about the exile?
 The Doctor
01-13-2006, 9:51 PM
It's not official yet, but it is commonly believed that the Exile is going to be canonized as a LS female.
 Clone L68362
01-14-2006, 12:15 AM
When we say Revan is canonically LS male, we don't mean it should be that way, just that, say you're talking about him, (like I am now) it's more accepted to use him instead of her. In game, Revan is whatever you want, but outside of KOTOR, Revan is accepted as a he.
 JediMaster12
01-18-2006, 6:00 PM
I see, because in my universe, Revan was female LS and the Exile was male, probably DS (I have yet to play it like that). Thanks for that clarification Clone L68362:)
 Hoboknight
01-20-2006, 10:36 AM
my guess id they are Both LS.

All the masters and NPC are always surprised you turn back to the light, and that seems to click more for me. I always figured most those masters thought once you turn to the DS its over for you, yet you prove them wrong. and Kriea was so determined to turn you DS.

just my thought ;p
 JediMaster12
01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Nice thoughts. Welcome to the forum Hoboknight:)
 Lantzen
01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
If Exile is Darkside there shold be to much chaos in the galaxy, so the Exile is probaly lightside. If Revan is Darkside there sholdent happen so much, he left to the outer rim to fight the true sith. Kreia say fight even if you set Revan as darkside.

And im not sure that Kreia is trying to turn you to the darkside, she dont like it when you kill people. And she want to kill the force, not even the sith want that.
 Maverick5770
02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
my opinion has always been that Revan was male, i'd like exile to be male but it could be canon female. I also think that they both go light side, travel to Outer Rim, kill all the true Sith. But it's just my opinion. But if Exile is female, who trains Handmaiden?
 CountVerilucus
02-02-2006, 12:13 AM
"Revan's story, as dictated here, is the plot of the computer game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Although the player of the game may have Revan end up as redeemed Jedi or a renewed Sith Lord, the canonical ending has him returning to the light side. This follows the usual practice of LucasArts, where the canonical storyline of all videogames ends in victory for the light. Additionally, although Revan can be either a man or a woman in the game, it is officially stated that, in canon, he is a man.

While Revan's lightsaber color is selectable by the player (and corresponds to the character class the player chooses - green for Jedi Consular, yellow for Jedi Sentinel or blue for Jedi Guardian), the canonical color is blue, as shown in the comic Shadows and Light during Duron Qel-Droma's vision. This color likely corresponds to the powerful Mantle of the Force crystal Revan obtains during his quest for the Star Forge. This crystal produces a bright blue blade."

-From wikipedia
Just discovered alot of fun facts there

and if you look, the canonical i think for the exile is also LS
 swediot=)
02-02-2006, 4:48 AM
I think you guys are looking way to deeply into this if your saying that revan is a male outside the kotor game...... isn't Revan supposed to be the main character of the kotor game... this was an original story that is why people were able to choose for them selves. how could revan possibly be just accepted as a lightside male outside of kotor.... revan IS kotor and kotor IS revan
 Darth Sun_Tzu
02-02-2006, 4:58 AM
-From wikipedia
Just discovered alot of fun facts there

and if you look, the canonical i think for the exile is also LS

Just remember that wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so it is down to whoever edited that article. :wstupid:
 CountVerilucus
02-02-2006, 7:00 PM
Just remember that wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so it is down to whoever edited that article. :wstupid:

oh, i didnt know that. but i think the canonical for Revan is male and LS, along with the Exile. makes a much better story as well.
 Palpatine_dc
02-02-2006, 8:38 PM
Alternate endings and customizable characters are noted in the Continuity Notes field. If needed, a definitive ending is chosen (ie the light side ending in Jedi Knight) and recorded into the database. Another example is the decision to make Revan a male character. Again, these types of things are only determined when needed

Leland Chee is the Lucasfilm Keeper of the Holocron or in english the guy in charge of the gigantic official inhouse Star Wars database. I also read a post where he said he was lobbying for the Exile to be female and to be given a proper name, but as of yet it isn't determined.

Note that it says 'when needed', like in a spin-off comic book such as the already mentioned Shadows and Light where the medium used is not as interactive as a video game. As for KotOR 3 I think (or rather hope) neather Revan nor the Exile will be pre-determined, as a game is more suittable to that approach.
Page: 1 of 1