Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How to become a Jedi?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ztalker
12-10-2005, 1:40 PM
Well, we all know the PC will be a Jedi in the new Kotor.
But my question is: How will they get the beloved lightsaber and powers?

Will they be trained like in Kotor 1, or slowly regain old powers like in Kotor 2?
Any ideas?
 RobQel-Droma
12-10-2005, 1:46 PM
Be trained. Or already be training, perhaps.
 Vladimir-Vlada
12-10-2005, 1:58 PM
Be trained later in the game. I want to start as some guy and then be some guy and a Jedi.
 JediMaster12
12-10-2005, 2:47 PM
Purely speculation but one suggestion that flew was that the PC was a padawan of the new Jedi Council. Still, I would rather be already a Jedi or in training. After all isn't that what KOTOR's name suggests?
 Darth Windu
12-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Yep, I say a Jedi pupil, one of the first of the new generation of Jedi. Question is though, where would you want to train? Coruscant, Dantooine etc?
 Darth Viggo
12-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I actually prefer being a regular Joe and then becoming a Jedi as the story develops as in K1, (although I guess in both KotOR's you technically were already a Jedi).

I guess I stand on the other line than everyone else on this.
 OoMandaloreoO
12-11-2005, 2:18 AM
enough of dantooine god Coruscant, would be good
 Darth Windu
12-11-2005, 5:14 AM
Viggo - the problem with the 'average Joe becomes a Jedi' thing is you'll lose the prestige class, unless of course in the next game you become a combination of three different classes.

Personally, considering the game is supposed to be about Jedi, I'd rather just start off there and get going rather than having to wait.
 Ztalker
12-11-2005, 5:18 AM
Hmm,

I personally would like to start as a no-one, then going to Coruscant were the PC becomes trained by a jedi from K1/K2...
 3yks
12-11-2005, 5:24 AM
I think it would be very intersting if they did something similiar to a 'fable' like begining where you start as a child. Have you play a few important scenes of your training first in classes on coruscant under the new council, then on to being chosen by a knight as their padawan (perhaps have choices in younger life effect who choses you, and have who chose you effect what class you start as. bascially put char gen into the opening storyline instead of just before you start.) then move on to adulthood, graduation into being a knight, and that is where the game stops skipping forward years at a time every so often.
 lord ignarn
12-11-2005, 6:48 AM
Iґd like to be a jedi pupil in Coruscant. You could have some missions with a master (for gaining the range of master), pass the trials (as they say at the clone wars), and then become a jedi with all the way to expand your powers.

Of course you must start at Coruscant, see the Jedi Temple, make side-quests... All the fun. And the Council could send you in a main quest you know, the main game.

You should also be able to start training a padawan, a padawan that you will choose. This should happen when you reach some level in the game.

And this is a question for all of you: Would the PC be able to become a member of the jedi council (gaining access to more powers and wisdom), but still having quests to fullfill?
 Venom750
12-11-2005, 10:22 AM
I would like to be a pupil and be training to be a jedi from the get go like from birth
 Ztalker
12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Hmm, it seems as if many people agree with the Coruscant-trainee PC :)
 Rain128
12-12-2005, 11:19 AM
i had the idea of starting as a jedi with say basic speed, engery resist, or such (picked during char creation) anyway, you would start out as a padawan on Courasunt and depending on your starting class you get a diffrent "master" to give you quests around the City... ect ect...

i think it would be cool to climb the jedi tree to knight and such befor you journy to the "outer rim" worlds...

anyway enugh rambling for now.

Edit: oh and you START with a light saber..
 JediMaster12
12-12-2005, 12:08 PM
enough of dantooine god Coruscant, would be good

Uh Oh we may have another Mandalorian War here.

*Makes ready for attack*

But as far as training goes, I would train on Telos at the Academy at the polar region.
 master jedi101
12-16-2005, 9:43 AM
I think we should start at telos because it could become a jedi trainning ground because the handmaiden did become a jedi if you trained her plus there is sith and jedi knowledge there gathered by atris
 Ztalker
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Good idea :)

This way, you get a link to Kotor 2 (Handmaiden) AND Kotor 1 (Carth).
And it would explain why you could be so strong as a padawan, considering Handmaidens echani background :)
 Sabretooth
12-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Coruscant. But I'm opting for a start-Jedi, so I really shouldn't be posting here.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-16-2005, 10:26 AM
The Jedi very rarely adopts a candidate for training once they've become an adult. Since we've already covered that pretense in Kotor, the jedi apprentice starting point seems more logical for this game.

Actually, I would love to explore coruscant and ascend the ladder of Jedi training. Once the (main) mission begins however, and you are forced into action off-planet, the darker options become available to solve situations and thus your own character is born.

Remember, the addictive excitement of this series is the idea that the answers you need are out there, and it's up to you, your skills, and who you bring with you, that will allow you to solve problems and achieve your goals.

Personally, I would like the story to be as open as possible to allow for the most freedom in choices, but, at the same time not too watered where it makes no sense.

Also, something must be done with DS alignment. The story should reflect those decisions and send me on down that dark path if I so choose. Some say that would be a whole separate story. But, I think with a little imagination you could tie two different stories (light & dark) and blend them in at the end.

It was anti-climactic when I played DS for some reason. I think it was because if I truly were a Sith lord, I would have recruited or united other Sith or taken over the academy or something. But that's for another post.
 harwai
12-16-2005, 10:47 AM
what about being born the son of a sith lord?

maybe you could start off being taken on a mission with him and the father is going to kill innocent people and you can make a choice whether to let him or stop him, choosing to stop him would involve both of you being captured by jedi and being welcomed into the order, not stopping him would lead to training as a sith.
 JediMaster12
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Highly unlikely but not totally off the map.
 harwai
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Its just that these games always start off biased to the good guys
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
what about being born the son of a sith lord?

maybe you could start off being taken on a mission with him and the father is going to kill innocent people and you can make a choice whether to let him or stop him, choosing to stop him would involve both of you being captured by jedi and being welcomed into the order, not stopping him would lead to training as a sith.

How can a Sith lord have children?
I know Annakin did, but that was before he truly became sith. (Vader)

I'm not too sure about this...
Although, my wheels are now spinning, hmmmm.
 harwai
12-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Why couldn't a Sith lord have children?

Its the Jedi who are forbidden to have kids....

Isnt it?
 Rain128
12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
yeah but who would want to climb into bed with a darksider -Shiver- just plain nasty if you ask me.... Even Yuthura Ban (sp) wasnt that hot...
 harwai
12-16-2005, 1:32 PM
Maybe the dark side look can be very attractive to some types of women, especially with some of the other choices e.g. a wookie

Or he could of had a clone?
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-16-2005, 1:52 PM
With the sith's apparent lack of compassion for life, I can't even see how a sith, (especially a Lord) would even care about offspring.

I don't know if it would have anything to do with attraction.
If it were to happen, and I doubt it, it would have to be a clone situation.

Oh well, nice one. I'll have to ponder this.
 RobQel-Droma
12-16-2005, 1:52 PM
Its just that these games always start off biased to the good guys

No kidding. Of course the canon is going to be good guys win, right :xp:? I wouldn't call it biased, why would you go read or watch something where evil won?

Besides, in both games, you are technically grey, so you really aren't light or dark at the beginning. Keep it that way, don't have these stupid "start out as a Sith and then either remain one or defect to the Jedi" ideas. The whole idea is to start with a "blank sheet", not some already established evil guy.

And anyways, in answer to your question, both Jedi and Sith say that love is very bad. So no, it wouldn't be logical.
 Cygnus Q'ol
12-16-2005, 2:17 PM
No kidding. Of course the canon is going to be good guys win, right :xp:? I wouldn't call it biased, why would you go read or watch something where evil won?

Besides, in both games, you are technically grey, so you really aren't light or dark at the beginning. Keep it that way, don't have these stupid "start out as a Sith and then either remain one or defect to the Jedi" ideas. The whole idea is to start with a "blank sheet", not some already established evil guy.

And anyways, in answer to your question, both Jedi and Sith say that love is very bad. So no, it wouldn't be logical.

You don't have to love to have offspring.
...or to clone.

But, say it to yourself again, "The sith lord's son..." Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!
I do believe that is the funniest thing I've heard today.
 JediMaster12
12-16-2005, 4:51 PM
yeah but who would want to climb into bed with a darksider -Shiver- just plain nasty if you ask me.... Even Yuthura Ban (sp) wasnt that hot...

I don't even want to think of it but then again, the bad boy thing can be attractive
 Char Ell
12-16-2005, 6:21 PM
I like the starting out as a Jedi Padawan on Coruscant idea. However I have a hard time trying to figure out how this would work with the existing story left to us by TSL.

If I understood the TSL ending correctly then the Jedi Order is pretty much kaput. Where will the Jedi Masters who will train force sensitives and direct Jedi operations come from?
1) IIRC, at the end of TSL all the Jedi Masters are dead, with the possible exception of Atris. But if Atris is still around she's so jacked up in the head that it's hard for me to imagine her bringing the Jedi Order back from the brink of oblivion. But I guess that is one possibility.
2) The Exile has gone in search of Revan and thus is unavailable.
3) Revan is somewhere in the Unknown Regions and is also unavailable.
Maybe Atton, Brianna, Mira, and/or Visas could be running the Jedi show on Coruscant but then I think the game would be forced into accepting TSL had an LS ending. If otherwise then why would they be involved in re-establishing the Jedi Order? But since it sounds like the "canonical" ending is always supposed to be LS then maybe this would work. IIRC, Kreia did refer to The Exile's companions as the Lost Jedi.
 Darca Lar
12-17-2005, 8:08 PM
Starting as a Jedi is a good idea, but what if you start out on the darkside, either working slowly back to the light through the game, or falling further to the darkside working to overthrow the dark lord.
Page: 1 of 1